Adrian Peterson Sweepstakes ***Officially reinstated (again) and merged***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes he was he is now 30 years old at the end of his career and to give up picks to get him is living off the past.

There is no proof of any of these claims with regard to Peterson, none. The only accurate thing in the entire statement is the number 30.

There is good young talent in this draft at RB Dallas does not need to mortgage the future for an old player.

There is also the possibility of finding the next Julius or Felix Jones. Everyone thought that they'd be 'good enough' too.

Peterson is proven, a rookie is not.

And how can you claim to be 'mortgaging the future' when you have no idea of either the draft compensation or salary costs involved?

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
I'd give up a 3rd for him. No way anything higher. Vikes are likely to release him anyway. With that money, they could have gotten Murray and Mathews and moved on. Stupid for them to hold on to him, Just plain stupidity and hardheadedness. They think he has some major trade value but he does not at 30 and with the PR problems.

It's just a waiting game until they wise up and see the market for him is pretty weak at that cost and age.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
There is no proof of any of these claims with regard to Peterson, none. The only accurate thing in the entire statement is the number 30.

There is also the possibility of finding the next Julius or Felix Jones. Everyone thought that they'd be 'good enough' too.

Peterson is proven, a rookie is not.

And how can you claim to be 'mortgaging the future' when you have no idea of either the draft compensation or salary costs involved?

There is proof he is human and 30 year old RB as for the future the draft picks are the future. I want to win as much as anyone I do not want to see Cowboys wasting time on a 30 year old RB. As I said he wants to go to Dallas so damn bad fine come to Dallas on a cheap contract and do not give up any of the top 4 picks and I'm on board outside of that he is an old player on the downhill side of his career and it is stupid to go backwards after Dallas has been doing a very good job of bringing in youth and winning off of it

Doomsday101

Reaction score
No doubt Peterson would be a Jerry move a move many here have mocked over the years and now you guys are acting like Jerry Jones. LOL

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
There is proof he is human and 30 year old RB as for the future the draft picks are the future. I want to win as much as anyone I do not want to see Cowboys wasting time on a 30 year old RB. As I said he wants to go to Dallas so damn bad fine come to Dallas on a cheap contract and do not give up any of the top 4 picks and I'm on board outside of that he is an old player on the downhill side of his career and it is stupid to go backwards after Dallas has been doing a very good job of bringing in youth and winning off of it

That is at best an extremist point of view on Peterson. He is the best RB in the past decade and by all indications is still capable of performing at the highest level. I understand the sentiment of not wanting the Cowboys to overpay for a washed up player but that's not Peterson and I trust the Jones' to not overpay commit resources to acquire him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is proof he is human and 30 year old RB as for the future the draft picks are the future.

There is also proof that he is physically elite and an exception to the rule as well. A draft pick - say a second rounder - is good for fours years max. So, even if you got a great one, you have him for four years before you risk losing him.

I want to win as much as anyone I do not want to see Cowboys wasting time on a 30 year old RB.

How is getting the league's best running back possibly 'wasting time'? Isn't a better example of 'wasting time' not doing everything you can to build a championship team while Romo is still here?

As I said he wants to go to Dallas so damn bad fine come to Dallas on a cheap contract and do not give up any of the top 4 picks and I'm on board outside of that he is an old player on the downhill side of his career and it is stupid to go backwards after Dallas has been doing a very good job of bringing in youth and winning off of it

What's 'stupid' is not to do everything you can to get better while a championship window is still open. Obtaining Peterson in no way prevents 'bringing in youth'. Giving up a draft pick or two still leaves plenty of options and fills the biggest hole the team currently has.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
So I step away for a few minutes to watch the new Star Wars trailor ten times in a row and the next rumor is the cowboys are tampering based on an article from their website...give me a break...what about the 453 other articles since February that say the same thing....I like schefter for the most part but sometimes his cowboy hate is to obvious...now i must leave to go watch the Star Wars trailor again..

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No doubt Peterson would be a Jerry move a move many here have mocked over the years and now you guys are acting like Jerry Jones. LOL

Conversely, the guy who praised every move Jerry Jones ever made now somehow wants to paint them as something to be mocked...

:rolleyes:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
There is also proof that he is physically elite and an exception to the rule as well. A draft pick - say a second rounder - is good for fours years max. So, even if you got a great one, you have him for four years before you risk losing him.

How is getting the league's best running back possibly 'wasting time'? Isn't a better example of 'wasting time' not doing everything you can to build a championship team while Romo is still here?

What's 'stupid' is not to do everything you can to get better while a championship window is still open. Obtaining Peterson in no way prevents 'bringing in youth'. Giving up a draft pick or two still leaves plenty of options and fills the biggest hole the team currently has.

We don't see it the same sorry but AP is human and like any RB age get to them. His 2013 season was well below what he did in 2012 he is not getting better and damn sure not worth giving up pick or picks to get him. You feel different fine I think it is a move that Jerry has done before that ends up biting us in the butt we end up spending big money giving up picks and not getting the return on the investment.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Conversely, the guy who praised every move Jerry Jones ever made now somehow wants to paint them as something to be mocked...

:rolleyes:

BS, I did not want TO I did not want PacMan and I also did not want Hardy. Yes I have given Jerry credit and I have also stated when I disagree. What I have not done is whine like a little girl making claims of we can never win as long as Jerry is here.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
That is at best an extremist point of view on Peterson. He is the best RB in the past decade and by all indications is still capable of performing at the highest level. I understand the sentiment of not wanting the Cowboys to overpay for a washed up player but that's not Peterson and I trust the Jones' to not overpay commit resources to acquire him.

You have absolutely no idea if he can. We haven't seen him play since September of last year.

GroundZero1970

Reaction score
Ok I gotta say this, Minnesota and "other" say AP has a contract and needs to honor it WHY? Nfl teams dont honor contracts,all the time, if you doubt, consider D. Ware, he restructured multiple,times help the team and when his cap hit was too high he was cut, Dallas did not honor his contract. I say do what you have to do AP to get where you are happy, hopefully here.

erod

Reaction score
Yes he was he is now 30 years old at the end of his career and to give up picks to get him is living off the past. There is good young talent in this draft at RB Dallas does not need to mortgage the future for an old player.

I would agree with that 99.99999 percent of the time. This is that 0.00001.

Guys like Peterson happen once every 10-15 years. I guarantee you, you'll get at least two years of his best football before a slight downturn. He'll be the best player on the team the moment he arrives.

He is a tremendous pass blocker, an unbelievable receiver, the best running back in the NFL by a country mile, and he plays with the same intensity every game as Dez Bryant.

He is the exception of exceptions.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We don't see it the same sorry but AP is human and like any RB age get to them.

Age will eventually get to him, for sure. But as has been pointed out, he's physically exceptional and many running backs have had great success at this same age.

His 2013 season was well below what he did in 2012 he is not getting better and damn sure not worth giving up pick or picks to get him.

Given that 2012 was a 2,100 yard season, I don't think it's fair to criticize him for not meeting that lofty standard the following season. He still averaged 4.5 yards per carry on a team with zero playmakers other than him.

You feel different fine I think it is a move that Jerry has done before that ends up biting us in the butt we end up spending big money giving up picks and not getting the return on the investment.

And I can respect your opinion.

erod

Reaction score
...nearly 3 years ago. That's like 10 years in RB years. Can we stop focusing on one year? He's not getting 2,000 yards again.

He doesn't have to.

Romo will be the statistical benefactor. And Dez.

A play fake to Peterson behind that line will draw 8-9 every time. It'll be easy pickings.

erod

Reaction score
This point needs to be made.

NFL teams would typically LOVE to trade away a 30-year-old running back set to count 40+ million against their cap the next three years. They'd take nearly anything just to shed the contract.

Instead, Minnesota is hoping against hope that he'll change his mind about playing there, and if not, are set to cash in nicely on draft picks for him.

Again, he's just a different cat than others.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

That is an assumption that he will be as good as ever, he has had his own history of injuries and he is getting older this in my view is not a good formula for success giving up pick or picks to get an older player because in 2012 he rushed for over 2,000 yards that was 3 years ago. If Minn releases him and he wants to come to Dallas to finish his career on a low end deal as was speculated at the start of all this talk then fine I'm on board but we have gone from talking hometown boy on a hometown discount playing for his favorite team to now giving up picks and paying out big money. If Dallas was going to pay out big money then they may as well have resigned Murray

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score

Worth a bump! Everyone, please read the above post by Doomsday101.

Status
Not open for further replies.