2014 - Hitchens (nice)
2013 - Webb (boo)
2012 - Wilber (ahhhh)
2012 - Johnson
2011 - Arkin
2010 - Owusu-Ansah
2009 - McGhee, Butler, Williams
2008 - Choice

In other words, other than Hitchens and maybe Wilber that's a sorry bunch of 4th rounders. And the fact some wouldn't trade a 4th rounder for Peterson is beyond peculiar.

Haha you beat me to it!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yeah, gotta have that 4th rounder for the next Derrick Lassic, or Willie Jackson, or Eric Bjornson.

Or maybe the next Macey Brooks or Nicky Saulua? How about Jamar Martin? Or Skyler Green? Hate to lose out on talent like that!

And I'd never forgive myself if we gave up the chance for the next Isaiah Stanback or Brandon Williams! And we'd never recover from missing out on Akwasi Owusu-Ansah!

Or David Arkin, Matt Johnson, BW Webb....

:muttley:

or an Anthony Hitchens. No doubt Dallas has had some poor picks and like most I'm counting on guys like McCray to change that if last season is any indication with the pick of Hitchens then you bet that player can help today and well into the future

Sydla

Reaction score
But in 2007, we did draft Free in the 4th round............ along with Isaiah Stanback. LOL. Skylar Green in 2006.

But in fairness, 2005 was a home run. Marion Barber and Chris Canty were 4th rounders for us.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
So you'd rather have Anthony Hitchens, B.W. Webb, Matt Johnson, David Arkin, or AOA than AD?

Hitchens play was big for the Cowboys he was asked to fill in at all 3 spots and made a lot of plays for the Cowboys and damn glad he is part of this defense and I hope to add more to this unit

Joe_Fan

Continuity Is Overrated
Reaction score
If this is truly the case......

With the 27 pick of the 2015 NFL draft...... The Dallas Cowboys select Todd Gurley; Running Back; from the University of Georgia

Umm... Todd Gurley is going to be long gone before our pick at 27. If he makes it past San Diego at 17 I'd be completely shocked.

Wishful thinking though.

EST_1986

Reaction score
Here's our history of 4th round picks:

2014 - Hitchens (nice)
2013 - Webb (boo)
2012 - Wilber (ahhhh)
2012 - Johnson
2011 - Arkin
2010 - Owusu-Ansah
2009 - McGhee, Butler, Williams
2008 - Choice

In other words, other than Hitchens and maybe Wilber that's a sorry bunch of 4th rounders. And the fact some wouldn't trade a 4th rounder for Peterson is beyond peculiar.

I think outside of the first 80-100 selections the pick value is a bit overrated

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
or an Anthony Hitchens. No doubt Dallas has had some poor picks and like most I'm counting on guys like McCray to change that if last season is any indication with the pick of Hitchens then you bet that player can help today and well into the future

Was McClay here before then when we took BW Webb or Matt Johnson?

As far as 'help', you don't think adding the league's best running back and a Hall of Famer would 'help?

Sydla

Reaction score

I bet you if you polled 10,000 NFL fans and asked them if they would rather have Hitchens or Peterson, the landslide win for Peterson would be epic. I bet if you polled all the GMs in this league and asked them the same question, they'd say the same thing.

And I like Hitchens. A lot. But he's not an impact player like Peterson. And even with Hitchens, 4th round is a low probability round. So as good as we think McClay is, the chances of him landing a stud in the 4th round is low............ it would be low for even the brightest GMs and player personnel guys in the league.

EST_1986

Reaction score
Hitchens play was big for the Cowboys he was asked to fill in at all 3 spots and made a lot of plays for the Cowboys and damn glad he is part of this defense and I hope to add more to this unit

but the answer is no, AP is more important to this current team over all those list of 4th rounders. Hitchens is good but no where near the impact of a guy like AP.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But in 2007, we did draft Free in the 4th round............ along with Isaiah Stanback. LOL. Skylar Green in 2006.

But in fairness, 2005 was a home run. Marion Barber and Chris Canty were 4th rounders for us.

Yeah, there were a few hits, but make no mistake, mid round picks have been brutal for us for years.

Sydla

Reaction score
Yeah, there were a few hits, but make no mistake, mid round picks have been brutal for us for years.

Mid round picks are typically misses for most teams.

That's why those kids end up as mid round picks. Their talents are often questioned by NFL teams as to whether they can survive in the league.

I honestly am laughing my *** off here. I get not wanting to give a 1st rounder for him. I also get not wanting to give a 2nd rounder to get him. I can even buy into not wanting to give a 3rd rounder for him. But 4th round, because we might miss out on Anthony Hitchens best case or David Arkin worst case? That's just too funny to me.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
So your claim is that Brett Favre needed to 'prove himself"?

You keep on burying yourself...

:facepalm:

Yes, he did. He needed to prove he was still at that "HOF" level and the upcoming youngster wasn't the better option.

If it wasn't for that year off from Peterson and he had a 2014 season to tell us if he still had it or not, I would not be talking about a "Prove it" contract. But reality is, he hasn't had a big season since 2012, 2013 was good but nothing special, and 2014 didn't exist for him outside of a single unimpressive game. I wouldn't, and doubt we will, throw big money his way or give up draft picks for his HOF status. It's a "What have you done lately?" league and it should be.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
Anyone not willing to give a 4th for AP is nuts, just like anyone thinking the Vikes will take a 4th for AP is nuts.

If I'm the owner of the Vikes, AP plays for me or he doesn't play. He made his bed, now lie in it. His salary was budgeted in so they are not in trouble with that, would be nice to not have that much tied up, but they do. They finished 7-9 last year without him, more than likely with a second year from Bridgewater and some good picks, they will probably get a little better. AP does not put them in the SB conversation.

I take a hard stance with this, I've paid you a lot of money over the years, you gave me great return, you made a mistake, now you clean it up. Playing in the NFL is priviledge, not a right. If you don't like it, find a new job, it just won't be for another NFL team.

It's always frustrated me going back to Elway and not wanting to play for baltimore and Eli and San Diego to Ratliff and Orton. You are joining an elite league that very few people get to join, you play by our rules or you don't play.

Sydla

Reaction score
Yep, a 4th rounder is likely not going to get him anyway and if anything, the Raiders might do something crazy to make a splash and overpay for him anyway.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
but the answer is no, AP is more important to this current team over all those list of 4th rounders. Hitchens is good but no where near the impact of a guy like AP.

You hope, again you don't know how AP will do this coming season. Add to the fact you have to give up picks some claim that pick could be as high as a 2nd rounder and the cost factor. AP in his prime was great I don't feel he is in his prime and I would not waste picks of big money deals on a guy who is on the downhill side. In the meantime this draft has several good prospect out there

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
AP will have a banner year next season regardless of whom he plays for. He is the best of this generation and even with him maturely declining with age, he was so far ahead of the average back that his decline makes him most likely still better than Murray. All bets are off after this year where he is as motivated as he has ever been and has something to prove to everyone.

I'd put money on a >1600 next season.

Sydla

Reaction score
You hope, again you don't know how AP will do this coming season. Add to the fact you have to give up picks some claim that pick could be as high as a 2nd rounder and the cost factor. AP in his prime was great I don't feel he is in his prime and I would not waste picks of big money deals on a guy who is on the downhill side. In the meantime this draft has several good prospect out there

I would wager a large amount of money that Peterson would be more productive over the next 2-3 years than your average 4th round pick.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I would wager a large amount of money that Peterson would be more productive over the next 2-3 years than your average 4th round pick.

I would wager he would do little in terms of making this defense better. I tell you what if he comes for only a 4th and a cap friendly deal I will cheer the move.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mid round picks are typically misses for most teams.

That's why those kids end up as mid round picks. Their talents are often questioned by NFL teams as to whether they can survive in the league.

I honestly am laughing my *** off here. I get not wanting to give a 1st rounder for him. I also get not wanting to give a 2nd rounder to get him. I can even buy into not wanting to give a 3rd rounder for him. But 4th round, because we might miss out on Anthony Hitchens best case or David Arkin worst case? That's just too funny to me.

It's simply a matter of being opposed to the idea and then twisting reality to support that position.

And while I have no problem with a dissenting point of view, I do ask that the person making that case support their position with facts rather than fabrications.

Status
Not open for further replies.