Adrian Peterson Sweepstakes ***Officially reinstated (again) and merged***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydla

Reaction score
Some will have you believe that Adrian Peterson is the best running back in the NFL, will run for over 2000 yards in Dallas and will take a dramatic pay cut of 50% to 60% to do so.

He might not be the best TB in the league. But I suspect he'd be much better than what we have on the roster right now. And he doesn't have to take a pay cut if Dallas structures the deal a certain way. Even if he plays out this year in Minny, there's a chance he'd be asked to restructure next year or they'd cut him because he's got no dead money next year. Shoot, Minny cuold cut him this year and save $13MM in cap space if they so wanted.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Some will have you believe that Adrian Peterson is the best running back in the NFL, will run for over 2000 yards in Dallas and will take a dramatic pay cut of 50% to 60% to do so.

And then say the people that speak out against it are insane.

So glad most of the members on this board can just yap instead of running this team. We'd revert back to the dark ages.

Sydla

Reaction score
They are BOTH high risk to me, that's the difference. I don't view AD like you guys do, I don't think AD is going to be this superhuman that will come in and rush for 3,000 yards behind our line; you guys are the one who have create lofty expectations for him. I've said time and time again, I believe he'd come in and rush for his league average; about 1,300 yards before he hits his big decline after.

I don't want to give up a single thing for AD, I don't want to take on his contract and have to rework it. I'd rather take a chance of replacing Free now with a developmental player (With how we've developed our offensive lineman lately, I'm willing to take the chance).

A 30 year old RB is a 30 year old RB until proven otherwise.

One, the OL we have developed recently were stud first round picks. So let's not try to make it out like we turned a bunch of 3rd and 4th and 5th round guys into total freak studs.

Two, 1300 yards and league average would be pretty good when one considers the TBs we currently have on the roster.

Three, you'd not give up a 6th or 7th rounder for him either (also, let's not that it's very likely that if the Cowboys could swing a deal, a condition of that deal would be that Peterson has to restructure. So again, it's not like we'd have to take contract risk here. We'd likely make it a condition of the trade)?

Sydla

Reaction score
And then say the people that speak out against it are insane.

So glad most of the members on this board can just yap instead of running this team. We'd revert back to the dark ages.

Yes, because adding one older freak of nature is a sign that people just want to ramp up the cap, sign all older players, etc.

You are the absolute stone cold king of the strawman argument.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
One, the OL we have developed recently were stud first round picks. So let's not try to make it out like we turned a bunch of 3rd and 4th and 5th round guys into total freak studs.

Two, 1300 yards and league average would be pretty good when one considers the TBs we currently have on the roster.

Three, you'd not give up a 6th or 7th rounder for him either?

Jeremy Parnell developed real nice.

Again, give me a RT in this draft in the 4th over a 30 year old RB with very little future left in the NFL.

Sydla

Reaction score

Again, give me a RT in this draft in the 4th over a 30 year old RB with very little future left in the NFL.

Parnell was an average OL who got overpaid. He graded out by most measures as an average OL. He couldn't even crack the starting lineup here. So how that proves your point is beyond me.

We did a decent job with him but I wouldn't use him as a reason to say, "ahh screw it on Peterson, we can draft a Parnell type in the 4th round instead".

Oy.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He might not be the best TB in the league. But I suspect he'd be much better than what we have on the roster right now. And he doesn't have to take a pay cut if Dallas structures the deal a certain way. Even if he plays out this year in Minny, there's a chance he'd be asked to restructure next year or they'd cut him because he's got no dead money next year. Shoot, Minny cuold cut him this year and save $13MM in cap space if they so wanted.

My personal belief is that behind the scenes the Vikings have already asked Dogra and Peterson about taking a paycut.

I believe that was the exact impetus for Dogra going ballistic at the combine in February. And I believe that it's the reason that the organization has made zero headway in any meetings between the two sides since.

They've requested it, he said "cut me!" and they have refused to do that.

Take note that while the Vikings eventually got on the same page of "We want Adrian back", none of them, not a single one, has ever said "at his current salary". Any time that has been mentioned, the conversation ends.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Some will have you believe that Adrian Peterson is the best running back

Yeah, like people who get paid to make those decisions. You know, GMs, scouts, Owners, coaches and players...those people.

And the judgement is overwhelming on one side of the argument.

So , if I wasn't convinced by the video of him playing since High School. And the speed and power and vision he displays , also on video. I have pretty much the entire league supporting my judgement.

Who do you have? mattjames?

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score

This is what he does. Takes the one or two examples out of god knows how many failures, and uses it to support some "peculiar" idea of his.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Parnell was an average OL who got overpaid. He graded out by most measures as an average OL. He couldn't even crack the starting lineup here. So how that proves your point is beyond me.

We did a decent job with him but I wouldn't use him as a reason to say, "ahh screw it on Peterson, we can draft a Parnell type in the 4th round instead".

Oy.

Who do you think I'm looking for in the 4th? A future HOF? You're not going to get studs at every position. As for him not cracking the starting lineup, that's because Free is above him and plays above him. It was a luxury to have Parnell.

And seeing as how Leary developed and went undrafted, yes, I'm going to say we know how to develop our offensive lineman. Free also panned out, but that was back in 07 and I know some people have a negative view of him due to having a down season.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Yeah, like people who get paid to make those decisions. You know, GMs, scouts, Owners, coaches and players...those people.

And the judgement is overwhelming on one side of the argument.

So , if I wasn't convinced by the video of him playing since High School. And the speed and power and vision he displays , also on video. I have pretty much the entire league supporting my judgement.

Who do you have? mattjames?

The entire league?

There are plenty of teams with RB needs in this league, how many are going to be attempting to trade for AP? You think all of them will prefer AD over taking a young RB in the draft?

You're exaggerating when you say "Pretty much the entire league", the entire league doesn't view the RB position like the select few here on the board do.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Who do you think I'm looking for in the 4th? A future HOF? You're not going to get studs at every position. As for him not cracking the starting lineup, that's because Free is above him and plays above him. It was a luxury to have Parnell.

And seeing as how Leary developed and went undrafted, yes, I'm going to say we know how to develop our offensive lineman. Free also panned out, but that was back in 07 and I know some people have a negative view of him due to having a down season.

True, part of that on Free was moving from RT to LT then back to RT.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The entire league?

There are plenty of teams with RB needs in this league, how many are going to be attempting to trade for AP? You think all of them will prefer AD over taking a young RB in the draft?

You're exaggerating when you say "Pretty much the entire league", the entire league doesn't view the RB position like the select few here on the board do.

That is true, if the so called majority felt that way then why are only 4 supposed teams being talked about? Based on comments here you would think all 32 teams would be in the running. lol

Sydla

Reaction score
I guess there's no point in discussing this any further. Because I am completely and utterly stunned that there are Cowboys fans who think an unproven rookie drafted in the 4th or 5th or 6th or 7th round is more valuable to this team than taking a chance on Adrian Peterson.

Simply stunned beyond belief.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I guess there's no point in discussing this any further. Because I am completely and utterly stunned that there are Cowboys fans who think an unproven rookie drafted in the 4th or 5th or 6th or 7th round is more valuable to this team than taking a chance on Adrian Peterson.

I would be willing to go 5, 6th or 7th. May even go 4th but in the end there is a contract as well. I don't mind seeing Cowboys spend on keeping core players together. If the Cowboys truly are AP dream team then he should be willing to substantially reduce his salary

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
I'll be happy if our starting RB this season is one of AD, Gurley or Gordon. I'll be bummed out if it is anyone else.

Gurley or Gordon would be an awesome first pick. I hope one of them is there. I would love to have AD, but its just not in the number$. Dez and Romo have all the cheddar on this team. I hope there is a CB who falls or Safety. I think they would have more impact than a 1st round RB would. Also for my money I am interested in Buck Allen and David Johnson who could be had later.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
So what is the point then of using $15 million of cap space on him? You're not winning a championship with or without him.

Last year the Texans went that same route with Andre Johnson. They won nothing and released him this year for NOTHING in return. Johnson quickly signed with the team that won the division and went to the AFC Championship Game. A team with the best young quarterback in the game.

I know who 'won' that one...

Again, would you want to look as bad at the end of things as the Texans do?

I don't think the Texans look bad. have not seen their name drug through the mud by keeping Johnson one more year. They have no chance with or without Johnson over the past few years because of no QB. I just don't like AP stance that he is a victim. He caused all of this.

superonyx

Reaction score

People on this board over value rookies and draft picks. I think they fall in love with highlight videos and the draft process and they forget how much of a crap shoot it really is.
They also get caught up in playing GM and want to outsmart the salary cap.

This board has members that would act upset if we traded our number 1 pick for JJ Watt. I've read so. Any post over the years where anytime a draft pick is mentioned people freak out.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think the Texans look bad. have not seen their name drug through the mud by keeping Johnson one more year. They have no chance with or without Johnson over the past few years because of no QB.

I do, they managed to turn arguably the best player in franchise history into absolutely nothing but dead money. And he turns around and joins the division champs a week later. That's embarrassing.

I just don't like AP stance that he is a victim. He caused all of this.

I don't blame you in that count. But as I've said, I think there's more to it than just that.

Status
Not open for further replies.