Adrian Peterson Sweepstakes ***Officially reinstated (again) and merged***

Status
Not open for further replies.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Yes, he did. He needed to prove he was still at that "HOF" level and the upcoming youngster wasn't the better option.

If it wasn't for that year off from Peterson and he had a 2014 season to tell us if he still had it or not, I would not be talking about a "Prove it" contract. But reality is, he hasn't had a big season since 2012, 2013 was good but nothing special, and 2014 didn't exist for him outside of a single unimpressive game. I wouldn't, and doubt we will, throw big money his way or give up draft picks for his HOF status. It's a "What have you done lately?" league and it should be.

you keep doubling down and before long you are going to need a step ladder to see the snakes belly.

Sydla

Reaction score
I would wager he would do little in terms of making this defense better. I tell you what if he comes for only a 4th and a cap friendly deal I will cheer the move.

I would wager the likelihood of a a 4th rounder having a large enough impact to affect the defense is slim anyway. In fact, with Hitchens last year and the history that most 4th rounders crap out anyway, the odds are probably even stronger that we won't hit the lottery twice in back to back years in the 4th.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, he did. He needed to prove he was still at that "HOF" level and the upcoming youngster wasn't the better option.

If it wasn't for that year off from Peterson and he had a 2014 season to tell us if he still had it or not, I would not be talking about a "Prove it" contract. But reality is, he hasn't had a big season since 2012, 2013 was good but nothing special, and 2014 didn't exist for him outside of a single unimpressive game. I wouldn't, and doubt we will, throw big money his way or give up draft picks for his HOF status. It's a "What have you done lately?" league and it should be.

So 'no news is bad news' and in your version of reality he's penalized for not being allowed to play last year.

You have one bit of company on that island.

One.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I would wager a large amount of money that Peterson would be more productive over the next 2-3 years than your average 4th round pick.

I'd much prefer taking a RT in the 4th to develop behind Free than trading it away.

But will Peterson be more productive than any 4th rounder coming out? Well yeah, 4th rounders are typically scrubs, role players, or raw to the point they don't see much starting experience until a couple years into their career. Really no debate here.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I would wager the likelihood of a a 4th rounder having a large enough impact to affect the defense is slim anyway. In fact, with Hitchens last year and the history that most 4th rounders crap out anyway, the odds are probably even stronger that we won't hit the lottery twice in back to back years in the 4th.

I don't think that is the case. Look no doubt Dallas has had some poor picks not just 4th rd picks but I think McCray can find the talent this team needs even in 4th rd selection.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
So 'no news is bad news' and in your version of reality he's penalized for not being allowed to play last year.

You have one bit of company on that island.

One.

And I'll gladly stay on this island alone watching you guys weep when Peterson stays in Minny or goes elsewhere while we draft our future RB.

Obsession isn't healthy.

Sydla

Reaction score
I'd much prefer taking a RT in the 4th to develop behind Free than trading it away.

But will Peterson be more productive than any 4th rounder coming out? Well yeah, 4th rounders are typically scrubs, role players, or raw to the point they don't see much starting experience until a couple years into their career. Really no debate here.

200.gif

So for the record.......... you'd rather keep the pick and take a likely scrub, likely role player, like raw player that at best, needs time to develop into just a serviceable player who likely won't have a chance at starting for a few years if he even develops instead of trading it for a guy in Peterson.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anyone not willing to give a 4th for AP is nuts, just like anyone thinking the Vikes will take a 4th for AP is nuts.

If I'm the owner of the Vikes, AP plays for me or he doesn't play. He made his bed, now lie in it. His salary was budgeted in so they are not in trouble with that, would be nice to not have that much tied up, but they do. They finished 7-9 last year without him, more than likely with a second year from Bridgewater and some good picks, they will probably get a little better. AP does not put them in the SB conversation.

So what is the point then of using $15 million of cap space on him? You're not winning a championship with or without him.

I take a hard stance with this, I've paid you a lot of money over the years, you gave me great return, you made a mistake, now you clean it up. Playing in the NFL is priviledge, not a right. If you don't like it, find a new job, it just won't be for another NFL team.

Last year the Texans went that same route with Andre Johnson. They won nothing and released him this year for NOTHING in return. Johnson quickly signed with the team that won the division and went to the AFC Championship Game. A team with the best young quarterback in the game.

I know who 'won' that one...

It's always frustrated me going back to Elway and not wanting to play for baltimore and Eli and San Diego to Ratliff and Orton. You are joining an elite league that very few people get to join, you play by our rules or you don't play.

Again, would you want to look as bad at the end of things as the Texans do?

esloan

Reaction score
I am on record saying AP will not play for the Cowboys next season. That does not mean I do not want him at all. If we could get him for a 3rd or less and a contract that will not handcuff us in the future, I am all for it. I just do not see that coming to pass. Either he stays in Minnesota or some team, hopefully not the Cowboys, gives up a high draft pick and signs him to a contract that will impact their future. I have no problem paying AP good money this season but I fear paying him for next season and the seasons after that.

Sydla

Reaction score
And I'll gladly stay on this island alone watching you guys weep when Peterson stays in Minny or goes elsewhere while we draft our future RB.

Obsession isn't healthy.

I won't weep. I think it's unlikely we get him.

But I find the idea that Peterson is essentially junk, which is basically what some of you are saying because you'd rather not trade later round picks for him, hilarious and peculiar.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
You hope, again you don't know how AP will do this coming season. Add to the fact you have to give up picks some claim that pick could be as high as a 2nd rounder and the cost factor. AP in his prime was great I don't feel he is in his prime and I would not waste picks of big money deals on a guy who is on the downhill side. In the meantime this draft has several good prospect out there

I have more confidence in AP, then I do any rookie, for this upcoming season. Which is one year into a 3 year window;

I actually see it as irresponsible on higher levels, NOT to bring in AP, when he becomes available...considering Romos window.....

What exactly is the goal in Dallas?

Yeah sure, if he isn't available then, bring in the rookie and roll with it....

I give that first rounder up and pay him. Just the act of having Adrian Peterson in a Dallas Cowboys uniform will be financially beneficial for the Franchise. Roll in a few NFCE crowns, playoff games in Dallas and maybe a few Super Bowls...... and were worried about a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick and an extra 4-5 million?

Last edited:

mattjames2010

Reaction score
200.gif

So for the record.......... you'd rather keep the pick and take a likely scrub, likely role player, like raw player that at best, needs time to develop into just a serviceable player who likely won't have a chance at starting for a few years if he even develops instead of trading it for a guy in Peterson.

With a chance of finding a RT to replace Free? Yep. Especially since I like a few of the RT late in this draft.

A 5th and a small contract? That's worth bringing AD in. Outside of that, he can stay in Minny and watch his career decline.

EST_1986

Reaction score
You hope, again you don't know how AP will do this coming season. Add to the fact you have to give up picks some claim that pick could be as high as a 2nd rounder and the cost factor. AP in his prime was great I don't feel he is in his prime and I would not waste picks of big money deals on a guy who is on the downhill side. In the meantime this draft has several good prospect out there

I wouldn't go as high as a 2nd, I'm basing it off of the talked about 4th rounder.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Because you're vindictive or because you believe that anyone takes this thing that seriously?

In case it's not entirely clear, I want this team to acquire Adrian Peterson as I believe he - like Greg Hardy - is the best available option at his position.

And I feel that adding both improves this team and gives them the best shot of winning a championship this year.

If it doesn't happen, I'll be disappointed, but I will still hope for the best.

Obsession isn't healthy.

Pot meet kettle.

Sydla

Reaction score
With a chance of finding a RT to replace Free? Yep. Especially since I like a few of the RT late in this draft.

When that chance is remotely low that it hits?

You'd rather take a chance on a high risk late round OT that you admit is likely a few years away from even being able to play, let alone start instead of Peterson?

No offense, but that's completely and utterly insane.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Some will have you believe that Adrian Peterson is the best running back in the NFL, will run for over 2000 yards in Dallas and will take a dramatic pay cut of 50% to 60% to do so.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
When that chance is remotely low that it hits?

You'd rather take a chance on a high risk late round OT that you admit is likely a few years away from even being able to play, let alone start instead of Peterson?

No offense, but that's completely and utterly insane.

They are BOTH high risk to me, that's the difference. I don't view AD like you guys do, I don't think AD is going to be this superhuman that will come in and rush for 3,000 yards behind our line; you guys are the one who have create lofty expectations for him. I've said time and time again, I believe he'd come in and rush for his league average; about 1,300 yards before he hits his big decline after.

I don't want to give up a single thing for AD, I don't want to take on his contract and have to rework it. I'd rather take a chance of replacing Free now with a developmental player (With how we've developed our offensive lineman lately, I'm willing to take the chance).

A 30 year old RB is a 30 year old RB until proven otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.