Adrian Peterson Sweepstakes ***Officially reinstated (again) and merged***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
People on this board over value rookies and draft picks. I think they fall in love with highlight videos and the draft process and they forget how much of a crap shoot it really is.
They also get caught up in playing GM and want to outsmart the salary cap.

This board has members that would act upset if we traded our number 1 pick for JJ Watt. I've read so. Any post over the years where anytime a draft pick is mentioned people freak out.

The salary cap caused the draft to be the end all and be all of creating a consistent winner. The reality is that rounds 1-3 have a super high value and even later rounds provide a cheap body to plug holes with your team. I still think AP is worth a 3rd but that would be with the condition that AP redoes his deal to be a cap friendly number.

A 4th would be a good move. A 3rd would hurt quite a bit.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
The entire league?

There are plenty of teams with RB needs in this league, how many are going to be attempting to trade for AP? You think all of them will prefer AD over taking a young RB in the draft?

You're exaggerating when you say "Pretty much the entire league", the entire league doesn't view the RB position like the select few here on the board do.

No I'm not. AD is considered the best running back in football. Do I really have to present evidence of that?

Is he a good fit for every team? No.

But he is a perfect fit for the Dallas Cowboys.

1. Dallas had its best year in 20 years, because of the running game. Is that up for argument to?
2. Dallas was a few plays away from the SB. They aren't rebuilding. They dont have time to wait on a rookie to "maybe" be good.
3. AP is approaching the end of his career. I am sure he wants to compete for a SB on a team with a chance before his time is over.
4. He could possible extend his career behind what seems like a great offensive line,
5. Romo has maybe 3 years left. He is year by year now. It will be difficult at best, to have another QB just step right in and win a Super Bowl. Not to many Peyton Mannings out there;
6. AP grew up in Texas, close to Dallas. He was a Cowboys fan,
7. AP has said, he would be interested in playing for the Cowboys.
on and on..

And we want to pass because of a 3rd round draft choice, an extra 5 6 million, and concerns about age?

I dont know. To me the right move here is obvious.

And all this is based on if he is available...I think he is done in Minny, but who knows? I certainly don't with any degree of confidence...

Maybe the Vikes really do hold on to him , just so the Cowboys or Cardinals don't get him. Would that be worth the Money? To pay a player, 13mil?, just so he doesn't play for the competition?

Maybe in this case it is? :)

joseephuss

Reaction score
Yeah, like people who get paid to make those decisions. You know, GMs, scouts, Owners, coaches and players...those people.

And the judgement is overwhelming on one side of the argument.

So , if I wasn't convinced by the video of him playing since High School. And the speed and power and vision he displays , also on video. I have pretty much the entire league supporting my judgement.

Who do you have? mattjames?

You ignored the other part of my post. Why would the best player at his position take a huge pay cut? He has everyone telling him he is the best, so why would he take a pay cut? He can demand to be paid like the best, which Dallas can't afford.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
You ignored the other part of my post. Why would the best player at his position take a huge pay cut? He has everyone telling him he is the best, so why would he take a pay cut? He can demand to be paid like the best, which Dallas can't afford.

He doesnt want to play in Minny anymore for various reasons....I think that is clear. Now, how hard he is on that stance is unknown. At least to me. He may very well just accept the terms and play in Minny. -- I think he is gone, but I wouldn't bet too much on that.

Couple that desire to leave Minny, and his interest in the Cowboys, its not unreasonable to think he would take a deal like Lynch did with Seattle...

I am not a cap guy, but from what I understand, thanks to guys on this board and from what I have read, Dallas can afford that.

So if that pans out. Dallas will have signed the best running back in the NFL, and yes, even better then any rookie coming out of tech U.

What happens after that is the future.

superonyx

Reaction score

How about this one? Why would a guy who so many on this board say isn't even worth trading a 3rd round pick in this years NFL Crapshoot think he is worth 12 million per year? I've learned today that only about 4 teams would even want him and they would only want him for cheap.

ufcrules1

Reaction score

Because he has a net worth of over 20 million dollars and it is his dream to play for the Cowboys. Not to mention he can prolong his career by playing behind this line. Also, I'm sure the guy wants a chance to actually win a super bowl. Dallas gives him that chance.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Because he has a net worth of over 20 million dollars and it is his dream to play for the Cowboys. Not to mention he can prolong his career by playing behind this line. Also, I'm sure the guy wants a chance to actually win a super bowl. Dallas gives him that chance.

How does Dallas give him a chance in your mind? I mean, guess what? Romo is the QB!

KalEl

KalEl 94
Reaction score
I will add Coleman and agree.

Go back and watch some film on Coleman. He's a poor man's Gordon. Neither one of those guys faced any tough run defenses and when they did look at their production. System backs which is why QBs from Oregon and RBs from WIS suck in the NFL.

KalEl

KalEl 94
Reaction score

Because he's already been asked to by the Vikings. That's a big reason to consider. Would you take a pay cut to stay in Min or go home to Dallas? He want's out because he wants a fresh start. He knows he's only got a few more years to win a championship. That's not happening in the next few seasons in MIN. He wants a ring and wants nothing more than to play for his hometown team. The guy has been calling Jerry since 2013. If it's 7-8 mil in MIN vs 7-8 mil in DAL is that really a pay cut?

KalEl

KalEl 94
Reaction score
How about this one? Why would a guy who so many on this board say isn't even worth trading a 3rd round pick in this years NFL Crapshoot think he is worth 12 million per year? I've learned today that only about 4 teams would even want him and they would only want him for cheap.

Because there is only one team he'd take a big pay cut for....DALLAS

ufcrules1

Reaction score
Let's see.. you are sitting there with 20 million + in your bank account and have been all over the world and done all kinds of things. What's left? I know... make your dreams come true by playing for the team you grew up idolizing and winning a super bowl.

esloan

Reaction score
Let's see.. you are sitting there with 20 million + in your bank account and have been all over the world and done all kinds of things. What's left? I know... make your dreams come true by playing for the team you grew up idolizing and winning a super bowl.

Yeah, that is easy for you to say. But you know what? It rarely happens. Players go where the money is nearly every time. AP may be different but don't count on it.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Wow this thread grew.

No better than a 4th and he takes a paycut in half or I think it's a bad deal. I don't particularly like giving up our 4th. There is a lot of talent for day 3 of this draft.

KalEl

KalEl 94
Reaction score
Wow this thread grew.

No better than a 4th and he takes a paycut in half or I think it's a bad deal. I don't particularly like giving up our 4th. There is a lot of talent for day 3 of this draft.

I'm thinking its going to be a 2nd from next year with a conditional pick included. Just a hunch

joseephuss

Reaction score
Peterson has been paid over $80 million dollars by the Vikings. He probably has also made some money off of endorsement deals. Being worth $20 million after that much income isn't that impressive. I guess that comes with having multiple children with multiple women. The money, even millions doesn't last as long as it should.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Because he's already been asked to by the Vikings. That's a big reason to consider. Would you take a pay cut to stay in Min or go home to Dallas? He want's out because he wants a fresh start. He knows he's only got a few more years to win a championship. That's not happening in the next few seasons in MIN. He wants a ring and wants nothing more than to play for his hometown team. The guy has been calling Jerry since 2013. If it's 7-8 mil in MIN vs 7-8 mil in DAL is that really a pay cut?

Yes, it would be a pay cut. A huge one. He is scheduled to make almost $13 million. Losing $5 to $6 million is a more than substantial pay cut.

KalEl

KalEl 94
Reaction score
Yes, it would be a pay cut. A huge one. He is scheduled to make almost $13 million. Losing $5 to $6 million is a more than substantial pay cut.

How do you know that the rift between AD and the FO isn't over asking him to take a significant pay cut to remain a Viking?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Anyone not willing to give a 4th for AP is nuts, just like anyone thinking the Vikes will take a 4th for AP is nuts.

If I'm the owner of the Vikes, AP plays for me or he doesn't play. He made his bed, now lie in it. His salary was budgeted in so they are not in trouble with that, would be nice to not have that much tied up, but they do. They finished 7-9 last year without him, more than likely with a second year from Bridgewater and some good picks, they will probably get a little better. AP does not put them in the SB conversation.

I take a hard stance with this, I've paid you a lot of money over the years, you gave me great return, you made a mistake, now you clean it up. Playing in the NFL is priviledge, not a right. If you don't like it, find a new job, it just won't be for another NFL team.

It's always frustrated me going back to Elway and not wanting to play for baltimore and Eli and San Diego to Ratliff and Orton. You are joining an elite league that very few people get to join, you play by our rules or you don't play.

The problem with your scenario is that future free agents will avoid your team like the plague, that is why you don't force players to play.

joseephuss

Reaction score
How do you know that the rift between AD and the FO isn't over asking him to take a significant pay cut to remain a Viking?

That would strengthen my point that he isn't willing to take a significant pay cut. Why would he? He is the best running back of all-time. Why accept less money that what Marshawn Lynch is getting or get paid the amount of money that guys like LeSean McCoy or DeMarco Murray are getting.

Status
Not open for further replies.