Adrian Peterson Sweepstakes ***Officially reinstated (again) and merged***

Status
Not open for further replies.

alicetooljam

Reaction score
Play it smart

Have a short board of about 3-4 RBs in this class that we feel comfortable carrying the load...if we don't land any of those backs...pick up the phone and call the vikes

Gurley
Gordon
Ajayi

I'm not comfortable relying on anyone else out of this class

Exactly...though I would say 2-3...if Gurley or Gordon are there when you pick in the first you take them. I would trade a 3rd rounder all day long without hesitation....if your 3rd rated back goes before you pick in the 2nd, I'm willing to deal this OR next years 2nd. I'll gladly take Peterson, but I don't have to have him if we can get one of the top 2.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
No, but the guy we draft in the first two rounds has a significant chance to produce more for the team over the course of his rookie contract than Peterson in 2015-2018. We could use that $7-$12m and 4th round draft pick on the defense.

But how about if those guys are a defensive end and a corner instead of one of them being a running back?

It doesn't really matter how we go about getting a quality running back, but I question our shot at getting one if we don't take one in the first couple of rounds of this draft. (Yes, we could do it, but the percentages go way down.)

The way I look at it is see how the draft falls in those first two rounds and then make an offer if we didn't end up with one of the backs we wanted.

I really think this becomes a Randy Moss-like draft day trade.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I think all this talk of getting a rookie RB in the draft is off topic. Acquiring Adrian Peterson is the topic so unless you are talking about trading draft picks to Minny to pry AP away from up north, all this other draft talk belongs somewhere else. There is a designated area for draft talk so go to it.

EST_1986

Reaction score
I think all this talk of getting a rookie RB in the draft is off topic. Acquiring Adrian Peterson is the topic so unless you are talking about trading draft picks to Minny to pry AP away from up north, all this other draft talk belongs somewhere else. There is a designated area for draft talk so go to it.

So Gurley or Gordon?

starman22

Reaction score

Who are you to tell everyone what to talk about in this thread? This thread is 86 pages and going strong. It has been all over the place. Just ignore the ones that don't meet your standards.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

The notion of acquiring AP and drafting a QB are linked. Unless you want to make yet another thread this is just as good as the other to discuss said link. Also you are not a mod so stop trying the forum vigilante act.

For example, the opportunity cost of acquiring AP is taking advantage of this deep QB class. Near 60% of the cap would be on offense if he did not take a paycut.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
But how about if those guys are a defensive end and a corner instead of one of them being a running back?

It doesn't really matter how we go about getting a quality running back, but I question our shot at getting one if we don't take one in the first couple of rounds of this draft. (Yes, we could do it, but the percentages go way down.)

The way I look at it is see how the draft falls in those first two rounds and then make an offer if we didn't end up with one of the backs we wanted.

I really think this becomes a Randy Moss-like draft day trade.

I really think this comes down to either AP forces his way out of Minny, Minny caves and cuts him, or he plays in Minnesota.

EST_1986

Reaction score
The notion of acquiring AP and drafting a QB are linked. Unless you want to make yet another thread this is just as good as the other to discuss said link. Also you are not a mod so stop trying the forum vigilante act.

For example, the opportunity cost of acquiring AP is taking advantage of this deep QB class. Near 60% of the cap would be on offense if he did not take a paycut.

I think he wants us to make a thread about every single thought and not mix things that are obviously connected

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Who are you to tell everyone what to talk about in this thread? This thread is 86 pages and going strong. It has been all over the place. Just ignore the ones that don't meet your standards.

Who am I? Shall I introduce myself? I am the OCD **'er that reads every thread on CZ and needs order for the world to make sense. I don't demand it but I will exercise my right to suggest it. Good to meet you Mr. Chaos. Now that we've been introduced, Who are you to willy nilly talk about whatever you want on any thread you want. Hijackers like you ruin forums and created chaos from order. Derailing the train from the tracks makes no difference to you what so ever. Do what you will... I can't stop you. I was just trying to help keep the topic on track but oh well... do as you please.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
I really think this comes down to either AP forces his way out of Minny, Minny caves and cuts him, or he plays in Minnesota.

youre a genuis. :) joking.

Cards will offer more then a 3, imho....

So if thats the case, we lose out on the best running back in football, because of one round in the NFL Crapshoot.....yes, i stole that from another member in this thread.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

If the mods don't want my 2 cents on topics getting off track, they will let me know. You are just as guilty of trying the forum vigilante act as anyone here so nice try, hypocrite.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
This will be my reaction when I hear the news about AP becoming a Dallas Cowboy

liotta-laugh-o.gif

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Key point for me:

Yahoo.com's Charles Robinson says the Vikings could get a second-round pick for Peterson, while ESPN's John Clayton doesn't think it'll be more than a fourth-rounder. Whatever happens, this much is certain: Peterson will almost certainly be forced to rework the six-year deal he signed in 2011 that will pay him $46 million in the next three years.

I've said repeatedly, nobody is paying that contract, not the Cowboys, not the Cardinals, not the Raiders, and not the Vikings themselves. Everyone in the world knows that the terms are ridiculous. And the Vikings knew that when they designed it! If you take a look at it, all of the guarantees have been met, and that gives the team the ability to walk away from it at any point going forward.

And they have tried to use that leverage to get Peterson to agree to a reduced salary, to which he has declined. The Vikings are further trying to pressure him by playing the waiting game (we're doing the same with a far lesser player right now).

Minnesota may truly hope Peterson will return at a lower rate, or it's simply a tactic to drive up the trade market, but I think Peterson sees this as his 'out' from Minnesota to Dallas and intends to use it. The Vikings can get something for him now, or play this game of chicken up to the start of the season and risk cutting him and getting nothing. But it is my opinion that no one has any intention of paying Adrian Peterson under his current contract terms.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, but the guy we draft in the first two rounds has a significant chance to produce more for the team over the course of his rookie contract than Peterson in 2015-2018. We could use that $7-$12m and 4th round draft pick on the defense.

So 4 years of an unproven rookie would be better than 3 years of a Hall of Famer?

I respectfully disagree.

If I'm using that second rounder on a running back, I'm using it on the proven commodity.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It being his contract year doesn't matter. It isn't as if he could have controlled his past injuries. He broke his leg his rookie season. I'm sure he didn't decide to let himself get severely injured because he knew he wasn't in a contract year as a rookie. There are legitimate reasons not to have over paid for Murray, but last year being his contract year was not a factor.

For you maybe, but I'll be interested to see if he toughs it out as much in Philadelphia as he did last year with that broken hand. I didn't see that Iron Man until his contract year and I wonder if he'll still be around now at he has his money.

Status
Not open for further replies.