Adrian Peterson Sweepstakes ***Officially reinstated (again) and merged***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
I think if they don't land AD they will move up to get Gurley. That said, they won't have to move far and they may not have to move at all to get him. The 2 teams that are in desperate need of a RB is AZ and BAL (rule SD out because there's a real possibility that they trade Rivers for MM) BAL is said to be very high on Gordon and AZ needs help now which rules out Gurley for them. Gurley is expected to start the season on the PUP list. AZ can't afford to wait that long for a back to contribute.

We can. Any combination of DMC, Randle, Williams will be enough to get us through till Gurley is ready. Gurley is by far the best RB prospect since possibly AD came out of college. Coleman is a lot like Murray IMO watch him run so I see why the Cowboys would like him. However, he could go to AZ who seem to be very high on him too.

OO will be the 1st pick if we land AD

OO? The thing that I like most about Coleman is he was it. Wisconsin always has a line capable of playing in the NFL. That is what makes me lean towards Coleman. As to your point about stiffer competition. Gordon still had that line Coleman had squat so his decline makes more sense than Gordon's in those situations. Yes he runs like Murray but is faster and more durable...he is just my personal favorite right now if they don't bring in AD...but as you have read I believe he is coming so a rb being taken early won't be a concern anyway. Either way going to a fun two weeks leading up to the draft.

KalEl

KalEl 94
Reaction score
OO? The thing that I like most about Coleman is he was it. Wisconsin always has a line capable of playing in the NFL. That is what makes me lean towards Coleman. As to your point about stiffer competition. Gordon still had that line Coleman had squat so his decline makes more sense than Gordon's in those situations. Yes he runs like Murray but is faster and more durable...he is just my personal favorite right now if they don't bring in AD...but as you have read I believe he is coming so a rb being taken early won't be a concern anyway. Either way going to a fun two weeks leading up to the draft.

Agreed AD is coming and OO will be our first pick

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The two options are strongly tied together. There is a choice to be made between the two that will decide the direction of the team's running game.

No, those are two very different courses of action. Either you go AP or you go rookie RB. Going AP is not something that just happens in a day. First you have get an agreement with Minny to spring him. Then you have to get permission to renegotiate his contract with him. All that has to be iron clad agreed on before the draft. That's a mighty small window to get all that done. AP can make that process much easier depending on how amicable he can be.

JBS

Reaction score
Not as plugged in as you Ed

I didn't make any claims as to what he would cost...

Let's go ahead and rule out the chargers from taking a rb bc they might get MM...yeah, that makes total sense...

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I really think this comes down to either AP forces his way out of Minny, Minny caves and cuts him, or he plays in Minnesota.

That about covers it.

I don't know the probability of him ending up in Dallas this year. It will depend on what it takes to acquire him (which might be too much or Minnesota might not even be shopping him), what Dallas has to pay him vs. the risks associated with signing a 30-year-old player who hasn't played in a year.

Those risks are mitigated by the ones you take in the draft trying to acquire the RB of the future. There's probably at least as good of a chance that AP will play up to his contract as there is an RB taken in the first two rounds.

There were three RBs taken in the second round last year: Bishop Sankey, Jeremy Hill and Carlos Hyde (all in the 50s). Sankey averaged 3.7 yards per carry and ran for two TDs on 152 carries for the Titans. Hill was a 1,000-yard rusher with a 5.1 YPC and 9 TDs for Cincy. Hyde rushed for 4.0 YPC and 4 TDs on 83 carries. So one out of three was really successful as a rookie.

However, that was a poor running back draft as far as ones worth taking early goes.

Let's slide back to the last time there were RBs taken in the first round since it more closely matches what will happen this year. In 2012, Trent Richardson went with the third pick and Doug Martin and David Wilson were taken at the end of the round. Isaiah Pead and LaMichael James were second-round picks.

Richardson already has been through two teams and has a 3.3 career average. Wilson wasn't what the Giants were hoping for. He averaged 5.0 per carry his first year but only had 71 carries. The next year he averaged 3.3 in starting 4 of 5 games before his career ended because of a neck injury. Martin got off to a good start but has averaged less than 4 yards per carry his past two seasons. Pead has done virtually nothing for St. Louis. The same could be said of James in San Francisco and Miami. Now, it's rare to essentially miss on every pick at the position in the first two rounds, but this was an 0-5 draft.

That doesn't make me want to avoid drafting an RB in the first two rounds, but just illustrates that we wouldn't be taking any greater risk if we were able to trade a third- or fourth-round pick for Peterson than we will be if we take a back in the first or second round. (This also actually makes me appreciate what we had in Murray more).

Last edited:

EST_1986

Reaction score
No, those are two very different courses of action. Either you go AP or you go rookie RB. Going AP is not something that just happens in a day. First you have get an agreement with Minny to spring him. Then you have to get permission to renegotiate his contract with him. All that has to be iron clad agreed on before the draft. That's a mighty small window to get all that done. AP can make that process much easier depending on how amicable he can be.

Please refrain from talking about drafting rookie RB's this is a thread about AP

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
You hear that? Shhhh.....yeah that be the AP train ......he's coming

The Oakland Tribune's Jerry McDonald doubts the Raiders would trade for Adrian Peterson.

Owner Mark Davis was resolutely against Oakland acquiring Greg Hardy this offseason because of his off-field issues, and McDonald believes that sentiment makes any deal for Peterson unlikely. There is also the issue of compensation. The Raiders are not just one player away from competing, and they would be better served using any picks they would use to land Peterson on young, inexpensive talent. Peterson could still find his way to Oakland, but it does not appear to be the most likely outcome.
Related: Raiders

jnday

Reaction score
it may have been covered during these 85+ pages, but why is it such s sure thing that AP is still the best RB in the league?
Both of these options have to do with the way the team is going to address the RB options. I have serious concerns that fans are counting on AP to still be the best RB in the league. In reality, nobody knows at what level he can play this year. He can't outrun Father Time and the year long vacation could hurt him much more than helping him. He could be very rusty and it he may never regain his physical abilities. Three years ago , there was not question that he was a great physical player. The question that comes to mind now is "can a rookie RB like Gurley or Godon be a better option"? I think long-term, there is no doubt that either RB would be better for the salary cap and either one could have production that equals or exceeds AP.

Reaction score
I really think this comes down to either AP forces his way out of Minny, Minny caves and cuts him, or he plays in Minnesota.

This will all be resolved on or before draft day. I have been saying for weeks that us hosting every top RB is either genuine interest or a way to show MIN that we are serious about drafting one high and that we are not desperate for AP. Either way, if MIN wants to salvage some value for a disgruntled player who does not want to play for them and will be a distraction all year, they will need to have the parameters of a trade with us worked out before the draft starts. Otherwise, we (or Arizona) drafts a RB high and MIN loses all their trade leverage. This will all be resolved by draft day, one way or another.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
it may have been covered during these 85+ pages, but why is it such s sure thing that AP is still the best RB in the league?

Both of these options have to do with the way the team is going to address the RB options. I have serious concerns that fans are counting on AP to still be the best RB in the league. In reality, nobody knows at what level he can play this year. He can't outrun Father Time and the year long vacation could hurt him much more than helping him. He could be very rusty and it he may never regain his physical abilities. Three years ago , there was not question that he was a great physical player. The question that comes to mind now is "can a rookie RB like Gurley or Godon be a better option"? I think long-term, there is no doubt that either RB would be better for the salary cap and either one could have production that equals or exceeds AP.

okay, those are all fair points. I respect your differing opinion.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
This will all be resolved on or before draft day. I have been saying for weeks that us hosting every top RB is either genuine interest or a way to show MIN that we are serious about drafting one high and that we are not desperate for AP. Either way, if MIN wants to salvage some value for a disgruntled player who does not want to play for them and will be a distraction all year, they will need to have the parameters of a trade with us worked out before the draft starts. Otherwise, we (or Arizona) drafts a RB high and MIN loses all their trade leverage. This will all be resolved by draft day, one way or another.

Yup, couldn't agree more.

Status
Not open for further replies.