Adrian Peterson Sweepstakes ***Officially reinstated (again) and merged***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Why would AP want to play for this guy....

http://i830.***BLOCKED***/albums/zz229/vinnie2u/images2_zps78fb6dc3.jpg

JBS

Reaction score
Well, this at least means the Vikes are entertaining the idea of moving peterson...their price will drop the closer we get to draft day

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
That about covers it.

I don't know the probability of him ending up in Dallas this year. It will depend on what it takes to acquire him (which might be too much or Minnesota might not even be shopping him), what Dallas has to pay him vs. the risks associated with signing a 30-year-old player who hasn't played in a year.

Those risks are mitigated by the ones you take in the draft trying to acquire the RB of the future. There's probably at least as good of a chance that AP will play up to his contract as there is an RB taken in the first two rounds.

There were three RBs taken in the second round last year: Bishop Sankey, Jeremy Hill and Carlos Hyde (all in the 50s). Sankey averaged 3.7 yards per carry and ran for two TDs on 152 carries for the Titans. Hill was a 1,000-yard rusher with a 5.1 YPC and 9 TDs for Cincy. Hyde rushed for 4.0 YPC and 4 TDs on 83 carries. So one out of three was really successful as a rookie.

However, that was a poor running back draft as far as ones worth taking early goes.

Let's slide back to the last time there were RBs taken in the first round since it more closely matches what will happen this year. In 2012, Trent Richardson went with the third pick and Doug Martin and David Wilson were taken at the end of the round. Isaiah Pead and LaMichael James were second-round picks.

Richardson already has been through two teams and has a 3.3 career average. Wilson wasn't what the Giants were hoping for. He averaged 5.0 per carry his first year but only had 71 carries. The next year he averaged 3.3 in starting 4 of 5 games before his career ended because of a neck injury. Martin got off to a good start but has averaged less than 4 yards per carry his past two seasons. Pead has done virtually nothing for St. Louis. The same could be said of James in San Francisco and Miami. Now, it's rare to essentially miss on every pick at the position in the first two rounds, but this was an 0-5 draft.

That doesn't make me want to avoid drafting an RB in the first two rounds, but just illustrates that we wouldn't be taking any greater risk if we were able to trade a third- or fourth-round pick for Peterson than we will be if we take a back in the first or second round. (This also actually makes me appreciate what we had in Murray more).

Excellent post my friend..................so out of 8 running backs drafted in the first two rounds only 1 (Hill) has panned out.

This is the best argument I have seen as to why we should trade for Peterson.............a first ballot hall of famer or do we just play the lottery and hope we don't whiff like 7 of the 8 teams above did.

I prefer going with the known commodity myself.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Perfect we get rid of Carr's over inflated salary to help make room for Petersen. 2 birds with one stone. Make it a second and we have a deal.

Yea, bro.....................Beast is feeling that also.

I would go a 2nd round pick and their choice of either Carr or Claiborne (neither guy is going to be on the roster past this season anyways, so no big loss overall). We then can use our first round pick on a top defensive player, like OO or Kendrick or whatever CB may fall.

We get a bellcow RB, we get a top defensive player as well, and Minny gets to ditch that massive contract and acquire some more picks and a starting caliber CB as well...................Everybody walks away a winner in the scenario.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
That about covers it.

I don't know the probability of him ending up in Dallas this year. It will depend on what it takes to acquire him (which might be too much or Minnesota might not even be shopping him), what Dallas has to pay him vs. the risks associated with signing a 30-year-old player who hasn't played in a year.

Those risks are mitigated by the ones you take in the draft trying to acquire the RB of the future. There's probably at least as good of a chance that AP will play up to his contract as there is an RB taken in the first two rounds.

There were three RBs taken in the second round last year: Bishop Sankey, Jeremy Hill and Carlos Hyde (all in the 50s). Sankey averaged 3.7 yards per carry and ran for two TDs on 152 carries for the Titans. Hill was a 1,000-yard rusher with a 5.1 YPC and 9 TDs for Cincy. Hyde rushed for 4.0 YPC and 4 TDs on 83 carries. So one out of three was really successful as a rookie.

However, that was a poor running back draft as far as ones worth taking early goes.

Let's slide back to the last time there were RBs taken in the first round since it more closely matches what will happen this year. In 2012, Trent Richardson went with the third pick and Doug Martin and David Wilson were taken at the end of the round. Isaiah Pead and LaMichael James were second-round picks.

Richardson already has been through two teams and has a 3.3 career average. Wilson wasn't what the Giants were hoping for. He averaged 5.0 per carry his first year but only had 71 carries. The next year he averaged 3.3 in starting 4 of 5 games before his career ended because of a neck injury. Martin got off to a good start but has averaged less than 4 yards per carry his past two seasons. Pead has done virtually nothing for St. Louis. The same could be said of James in San Francisco and Miami. Now, it's rare to essentially miss on every pick at the position in the first two rounds, but this was an 0-5 draft.

That doesn't make me want to avoid drafting an RB in the first two rounds, but just illustrates that we wouldn't be taking any greater risk if we were able to trade a third- or fourth-round pick for Peterson than we will be if we take a back in the first or second round. (This also actually makes me appreciate what we had in Murray more).

This draft is much more similar to the 2008 draft with McFadden, CJ, Felix, Rice, Charles, Smith and Forte. That draft had similar RB depth. The one you chose was full of fail which matches your bias though. Wilson was barely a first round pick and coming out this year would have been a third rounder. The other two worse as yes Ajayi, Coleman, et al are better prospects.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
First through third round picks should be off limits.

I would love to get away with sending Carr and a third rounder.....

I keep going back and forth, between nothing more then a 3rd ....or most likely a 1st. Minny, started pretty high imho. a 1st and a player...... get out of here.....

How about just Carr?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Excellent post my friend..................so out of 8 running backs drafted in the first two rounds only 1 (Hill) has panned out.

This is the best argument I have seen as to why we should trade for Peterson.............a first ballot hall of famer or do we just play the lottery and hope we don't whiff like 7 of the 8 teams above did.

I prefer going with the known commodity myself.

The Cowboys should have traded Emmitt for a 1st when he was 30. Darn that Parcells for just cutting him.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
it may have been covered during these 85+ pages, but why is it such s sure thing that AP is still the best RB in the league?

Both of these options have to do with the way the team is going to address the RB options. I have serious concerns that fans are counting on AP to still be the best RB in the league. In reality, nobody knows at what level he can play this year. He can't outrun Father Time and the year long vacation could hurt him much more than helping him. He could be very rusty and it he may never regain his physical abilities. Three years ago , there was not question that he was a great physical player. The question that comes to mind now is "can a rookie RB like Gurley or Godon be a better option"? I think long-term, there is no doubt that either RB would be better for the salary cap and either one could have production that equals or exceeds AP.

Why exactly would he be rusty?

He's been playing football his entire life.

He's been healthy. He probably worked out the entire time. He could be in his best shape in a couple of years.

All things considered i'd rather have an AD who had a year to rest and work out. Verses an AD who took 400 NFL hits (rushes and receptions) and also many more snaps in pass protection slamming into a rushing LB or DE.

But that's just me.

He still is the best size/speed/power/vision combination in football.

The better question is probably...can someone explain to me why he isn't still the best RB in football?

Status
Not open for further replies.