Adrian Peterson Sweepstakes ***Officially reinstated (again) and merged***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I can't think of any other player I wanted either signed or not done than this one. What a boring topic this has become.

But it IS going to happen and when it does, Goodell hands Jerry Jones the Lombardi as 31 other teams forfeit the 2015 season, don't you understand?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I agree.

I cannot think of any scenario where you can justify letting Murray go to just bring Peterson in considering cost in picks and money. We will be going for one in the draft.

The balk on Murray had to do with paying him more than $12 million in guaranteed money. It was not a good risk considering past health issues.

The justification for acquiring Peterson is that we likely would have to guarantee him no more than what we were willing to guarantee Murray. He is set to make $13 million this year in base and roster bonus (not including his prorated signing bonus from Minnesota) with three years left on his contract. If we convert $12 million of that to bonus (same guarantee as Murray) then his cap hit for this year would be $5 million and he would still receive all of the money he was promised for this season.

Next season would be an issue with $15 million in base and roster bonus (and the following season as well), but we could see how he does this year before deciding if we want to renegotiate a longer-term deal. Now, if we don't, we would have to take an $8 million cap hit next year or less if we designate him a June 1 cut, but I just don't think that's as big of a deal as some do and it's the same hit we would have taken for Murray if we signed him and he either hit a wall or had a career-ending injury.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
The balk on Murray had to do with paying him more than $12 million in guaranteed money. It was not a good risk considering past health issues.

Disagree - it was so much more than that. It was his 380+ carries on the season last year. It was his injury history. It was his fumbling problem.

Look, I'm not maligning the guy - just saying it was a business decision about paying that guaranteed money FOR a player with so many question marks.

It was the right decision. A trade for AP will be the right decision but only if the trade value is warranted.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Great post. Give me Gurley in a slight trade up than AP and losing our second rounder.

Let me ask it this way. Would you rather have Gurley and Michael Bennett (DT) in the first two rounds OR
Armstead (DT) and Adrian Peterson? Remember Gurley will be a rookie and he's coming off an ACL injury. I think it's a no brainer.

jnday

Reaction score
Why exactly would he be rusty?

He's been playing football his entire life.

He's been healthy. He probably worked out the entire time. He could be in his best shape in a couple of years.

All things considered i'd rather have an AD who had a year to rest and work out. Verses an AD who took 400 NFL hits (rushes and receptions) and also many more snaps in pass protection slamming into a rushing LB or DE.

But that's just me.

He still is the best size/speed/power/vision combination in football.

The better question is probably...can someone explain to me why he isn't still the best RB in football?

If he was 25, the chances of him being rusty would be slim. He has been out of the game for an extended period of time for his age and rust can be a factor. Nobody knows for sure how it will effect him. One thing is for certain, he is not getting younger and his best days are probably behind him. He could have a couple good seasons or he could come back and play as an average player. AP has been a freak of nature in the past, but nothing last forever. Nobody knows what to expect. I will be the first to say that I don't. Anybody predicting a 2000 yard season is blowing hot air. He could be the best RB in football right now, but you are just hoping that is the case, because their is no facts to back it up. He could come back as a shell of his former self.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
If he was 25, the chances of him being rusty would be slim. He has been out of the game for an extended period of time for his age and rust can be a factor. Nobody knows for sure how it will effect him. One thing is for certain, he is not getting younger and his best days are probably behind him. He could have a couple good seasons or he could come back and play as an average player. AP has been a freak of nature in the past, but nothing last forever. Nobody knows what to expect. I will be the first to say that I don't. Anybody predicting a 2000 yard season is blowing hot air. He could be the best RB in football right now, but you are just hoping that is the case, because their is no facts to back it up. He could come back as a shell of his former self.

Wouldn't the risk of him being rusty be higher if he was 25?

You know 4 additional seasons playing the game makes it less likely he'd be rusty at 30 vs 25.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Let me ask it this way. Would you rather have Gurley and Michael Bennett (DT) in the first two rounds OR
Armstead (DT) and Adrian Peterson? Remember Gurley will be a rookie and he's coming off an ACL injury. I think it's a no brainer.

Good lord... I'd take Gurley and Bennett any day of the week.

Full Disclosure: I don't like Armstead as a prospect in this defense.

burmafrd

Reaction score

like rust is a factor with a RB. Talk about desperate reaching

Arkyvarminter

Reaction score
My question for people that want to give up a 1st round pick for Peterson is who are the Cowboys bidding against? AZ?

I hate the idea of giving up pick for Peterson. They didn't want to pay Murray 8M per but would pay Peterson AND give up a 1st round pick for him at the age of 30? That just makes no sense. Especially considering the depth at RB in this draft. If they just have to throw away picks, I would just trade up for the top RB in this draft.

I agree but I think the sentiment is that the current team needs to win NOW, or this year, maybe next. Jerry knows this and AP is proven where any back in the draft is not. Any back you draft is not going to be close to AP. Jerry knows that Romo's days are numbered and probably feel this is THE year. He may go all in for AP since that could push the team over the top. Just a thought....

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
My question for people that want to give up a 1st round pick for Peterson is who are the Cowboys bidding against? AZ?

I hate the idea of giving up pick for Peterson. They didn't want to pay Murray 8M per but would pay Peterson AND give up a 1st round pick for him at the age of 30? That just makes no sense. Especially considering the depth at RB in this draft. If they just have to throw away picks, I would just trade up for the top RB in this draft.

What does make sense in this situation? DM runs for 1800 yards, breaks the single season franchise record, beating out The Emmitt Smith, as he leads the team and franchise to their best year in two decades. Two decades!!

And what do the Cowboys do?
Let him walk as a FA, signing with the Eagles;

None of this makes a whole lot of sense...

I get it, contract year,great ol, Eagles overpaid for DM...Cowboys didn't match.

I have to believe, that if we end up starting any of the rookie RBs this year, along with Mcfadden, considering the 1-3 year "Romo window", then something has gone...... wrong. And I believe it will cost us......

So, I have to think the Cowboys really want AP(maybe have had this planned out all along, to get the chance at AP?) and know they can't afford to get beat out by the Cardinals, who I think will at least offer a 2nd...

Both the Cardinals and Cowboys should be on Super Bowl runs this season. They will be acquiring AP for the purpose of making the Super Bowl. This season or the following. Anything after that is gravy.

Considering the mindset of winning the Super Bowl in 1-2, maybe 3 years, and I think the situation demands that mindset, then if we have to offer a one to get him, we offer a one to get him. I would be disappointed in the FO if we lose out on AP and doing everything we can to get Romo a SB, because of the difference between a 1st rounder and a 3rd rounder.

Are you willing to give up a 1st rounder, to make Romos chance of making a SB, significantly better? If you believed that any other move, to include any combo of draft choices, wouldn't even come close , in regard to making a SB in 1-2 years, compared to acquiring Adrian Peterson? That is where I am at. A first rounder is nothing, if I am right about what AP will do for this franchise.

I don't want to throw any draft choices away either, but I am guessing the Cards will offer at least 2. Which is how I come to a 1.

A lot of moving parts in all of this, so its a lot of guesswork and conjecture, etc etc etc....on everybody's part.

Will AP even play for AZ? Is Minny going to make it, as impossible as they can, for AP to play this yea?, etc etc...

They are all dancing the negotiation dance now. Playing Poker; Fronting; Who knows what to believe?

I know many disagree with Adrian Peterson being the best back in the league. But I would bet a shiny nickel, for just this next one year, more people choose him for their RB , then anybody else. And the majority of the NFL happens to think the same way; And, the one or two other guys that might be better, aren't available and haven't expressed any interest to come play for the Cowboys;

I know everybody is big on the draft, and who knows, chances are we end up having to trade picks anyway, to move up and reach to get the RB we want. ......or , go into next year , trying to get Romo a Super Bowl with Mcfadden and a 3rd, 4th round draft choice at RB.

I would just rather get AP. Ill give up a one,

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Are you willing to give up a 1st rounder, to make Romos chance of making a SB, significantly better? If you believed that any other move, to include any combo of draft choices, wouldn't even come close , in regard to making a SB in 1-2 years, compared to acquiring Adrian Peterson? That is where I am at. A first rounder is nothing, if I am right about what AP will do for this franchise.
That mindset and approach has shown to fail repeatedly. The go all in now approach has been the thinking behind many failed moves by NFL teams over the years.

The Pats never take that approach.

He is a 30 year old RB that didn't play last season. The history of 30 year old RBs is not good.

Good teams in the modern NFL normally don't use both picks and a big amount of cap space on the same player. They either use the cap space on free agents or the picks on players on low cost rookie contracts.

Ask the Vikings how the Herschall Walker All-In trade worked out. Ask the Skins about going All-In on RG3 or previously going All-In on massive free agent spending.

Even some good teams tried the picks + caps space with poor results. The Seahawks got a minimal amount of production from Percy Harvin after trading for him and paying him.

If the Cowboys were desperate for top talent RB, then they should just trade up for Gurley. He is a 20 year old version of AP that will be on a low cost contract for 4 years with an optional 5th year.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Why are fans here even talking about trading pick #1 or #2 in the draft for Adrian Peterson? Not a chance in wherever would a GM do that and still consider themselves competent to make their own breakfast let alone run a team.

Sorry, but only an idiot (IMO) would give up such high pick for a RB, while a good one, that is 30 years old and will cost us some REAL money. Look at this draft, you can get a starter this year for less and one who will be around for longer.

I would not give anything higher than a 4th round pick and only one pick for AP. If we cant do it for that or less, then don't do it period.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Why are fans here even talking about trading pick #1 or #2 in the draft for Adrian Peterson? Not a chance in wherever would a GM do that and still consider themselves competent to make their own breakfast let alone run a team.

Sorry, but only an idiot (IMO) would give up such high pick for a RB, while a good one, that is 30 years old and will cost us some REAL money. Look at this draft, you can get a starter this year for less and one who will be around for longer.

I would not give anything higher than a 4th round pick and only one pick for AP. If we cant do it for that or less, then don't do it period.

Then we have mcfadden and whoever we get in the draft. Its going to be interesting to see how that plays out. I think we should get ready to see Romo dropping back more to pass.....

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
That mindset and approach has shown to fail repeatedly. The go all in now approach has been the thinking behind many failed moves by NFL teams over the years.

The Pats never take that approach.

He is a 30 year old RB that didn't play last season. The history of 30 year old RBs is not good.

Good teams in the modern NFL normally don't use both picks and a big amount of cap space on the same player. They either use the cap space on free agents or the picks on players on low cost rookie contracts.

Ask the Vikings how the Herschall Walker All-In trade worked out. Ask the Skins about going All-In on RG3 or previously going All-In on massive free agent spending.

Even some good teams tried the picks + caps space with poor results. The Seahawks got a minimal amount of production from Percy Harvin after trading for him and paying him.

If the Cowboys were desperate for top talent RB, then they should just trade up for Gurley. He is a 20 year old version of AP that will be on a low cost contract for 4 years with an optional 5th year.

I get it, I hear ya. I understand all that.

But I take this risk.....its a risk. But I take it. Gurley may very well turn out to be good. I still want AP for the next 2 years. tick tick tick. That window is closing.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Disagree - it was so much more than that. It was his 380+ carries on the season last year. It was his injury history. It was his fumbling problem.

Look, I'm not maligning the guy - just saying it was a business decision about paying that guaranteed money FOR a player with so many question marks.

It was the right decision. A trade for AP will be the right decision but only if the trade value is warranted.

I won't argue against any of that. I don't think they were sold on him being able to live up to the contract for whatever reason. They might feel the same about AP for all we know, but I don't think anyone should assume that. It's not a cookie-cutter system.

Status
Not open for further replies.