Adrian Peterson Sweepstakes ***Officially reinstated (again) and merged***

Status
Not open for further replies.

erod

Reaction score
Maybe he does get two years. Maybe not. Regardless, he is probably going to want a 4 year deal with a big contract. I'm sorry, I don't want a 33 year old RB eating up cap space.
Never mind that he's 10 times better than any back in the draft.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I hear what your saying but taking out any draft day trades these four teams need a bellcow and all pick before 27.
San Diego none there but may be after Marriotta
Baltimore no explanation needed
Arizona no explanation needed
Detroit an injury riddled old Bell? Don't buy it.

All these teams are playoff caliber teams that need a rb there is no chance gurely Gordon make it to 27.

You could be correct but any or all of those teams could decide to wait for the RB position until later. Just like so many people on here say that it is a deep draft and really good players will be available after the first... teams can and do think that way too. Particularly in recent years.

*San Diego needs OL in a big way. These days, most teams will go ahead and take the OL in the first (because they'll be really picked over by their second pick) and get the back later. They could go RB but I think there is a good chance they don't too. La'el Collins and Tevin Coleman just might look better than Gurley and Jake Fisher. In the middle of the first round, I'm not sure that I would want to take a RB either when there will be so many really good players at OLB/DE, OL, and corner.

*Ozzy in Baltimore has drafted RB once in the first round since 1996 (Jamal Lewis). He has drafted RB after that eleven times. He hasn't even drafted an offensive player in the first round since 2009 and that (Michael Oher) was an OL. Here is what Ozzy said about early offense vs early defense after the 2014 season: "I don't go in with any preconceived ideas that I'm not going to draft offensive players; I'm an offensive player myself, but I do believe you win with the defense."

In the first two rounds of his drafts in Baltimore, Newsome has drafted defense 24 times in the first and second rounds, while he has drafted offense 14 times.

The Ravens need CB's badly and around where they pick, there seems to be very good value at the corner position. There will be a lot of guys there that they have highly ranked at corner. Might Ozzy decide to take one of them and get a back like Ajayi or Coleman in the second? Or Yeldon or Davis in the 3rd? I think there is definitely a good chance of that considering Newsome's propensity for drafting defense and that their 2014 season was almost derailed because they were using corners off the street when hit by a couple of injuries at the position.

Throw in that their WR need is at least as great as the RB need and that this is another good year for WR's and I think there is a good chance that if he does go offense in round 1, that it will be WR.

*Arizona does have a need at RB but they also have a big need for an edge rusher, ILB, and OL. Maybe they feel like so many teams these days feel and try to get a back a little later in the draft. If one edge rusher they like slides a little to them, I think that is the way they'll go. They can find a very good back in the second round but the odds of finding a pass rusher beyond the first is pretty slim unless they just get plain lucky. You could say the same thing if an OL slides down that they like.

*Detroit has needs at DT and OL that are greater than any need for a RB. They have one decent OT (Riley Reiff) and one pretty good G (Larry Warford) but the other three spots need upgrades. At DT they have Ngata but that is just about it and he doesn't have very many seasons left, period. Their 2014 defense was built on strength up the middle and they need help there in a bad way.

Having said all of that... Any of those teams could see Gurley or Gordon as BPA and pull the trigger, so I never say never. However, some pretty compelling arguments can be made for any of those teams not taking RB in the first round, so it surely isn't written in stone that half of those 4 teams will draft RB in the first.

I really don't think Detroit will. Arizona and Baltimore could and would be the two biggest worries because they're picking pretty late in the first and might see other positions as picked over. San Diego might but I'd think they'll go in a different direction with their first and look for a back in the second.

I would line up the chances like this: Arizona>Baltimore>San Diego>Detroit.

It's going to be interesting.

ErikWilliamsHeadSlap

Reaction score
There is no guarantee.

Drafting a running back guarantees nothing.
Trading / signing Peterson guarantees nothing.
Drafting a pass rusher guarantees nothing.
Drafting a cornerback guarantees nothing.

I have no issues with Peterson. I have an issue giving up picks for him. All other arguments are pointless. The draft may or may not help our defense. The defense may or may not be better because of Lee, Lawrence or Hardy or being in Marinelli's system another year.

Peterson may fall off that cliff. He may take that chip on his shoulder and destroy the record book. We don't know. But coaching staffs will have a nightmare trying to game plan for both AD and Dez.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
There is no guarantee.

Drafting a running back guarantees nothing.
Trading / signing Peterson guarantees nothing.
Drafting a pass rusher guarantees nothing.
Drafting a cornerback guarantees nothing.

I have no issues with Peterson. I have an issue giving up picks for him. All other arguments are pointless. The draft may or may not help our defense. The defense may or may not be better because of Lee, Lawrence or Hardy or being in Marinelli's system another year.

Peterson may fall off that cliff. He may take that chip on his shoulder and destroy the record book. We don't know. But coaching staffs will have a nightmare trying to game plan for both AD and Dez.

A very common sense approach. A nice level-headed way of looking at things.

Nice job Mr. HeadSlap.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I think you are making bigger assumptions than I. This will be his last contract. He may take less than what he is getting now but 40-60% less? I am just not seeing it unless he has to take that pay cut to play at all and that is not where he is at.

Taking a pay cut of a couple of million is simply not enough for me to want him here. For it to be viable for the Cowboys he would have to get near what the Cowboys offered Murray and probably for less years and less guaranteed. Why would you want a 30 year old RB under contract for 4 or 5 years, with a high guarantee? That just does not make financial sense.

I find it somewhat sad and telling that this fanbase has ridiculed Jerry Jones for the last twenty years for giving large contracts to older players yet are pushing hard for this move. That just makes no sense to me. In a perfect world, where we could get AP for a 3rd rounder or less and for a 3 year incentive based offer? Hell yeah, sign me up. I just do not see that happening and I am not willing to again mortgage the future for an aging RB, even if his name is Adrian Peterson.

Maybe so. We'll have answer soon so....enjoy until then. :D

JBS

Reaction score
I'm slowly moving further and further away from wanting Petetson

Obviously the cost will play a big part in all of this..but I'm not willing to give up much...and the fat contract he will demand isn't appealing...

I want Gordon

ufcrules1

Reaction score
You could be correct but any or all of those teams could decide to wait for the RB position until later. Just like so many people on here say that it is a deep draft and really good players will be available after the first... teams can and do think that way too. Particularly in recent years.

*San Diego needs OL in a big way. These days, most teams will go ahead and take the OL in the first (because they'll be really picked over by their second pick) and get the back later. They could go RB but I think there is a good chance they don't too. La'el Collins and Tevin Coleman just might look better than Gurley and Jake Fisher. In the middle of the first round, I'm not sure that I would want to take a RB either when there will be so many really good players at OLB/DE, OL, and corner.

*Ozzy in Baltimore has drafted RB once in the first round since 1996 (Jamal Lewis). He has drafted RB after that eleven times. He hasn't even drafted an offensive player in the first round since 2009 and that (Michael Oher) was an OL. Here is what Ozzy said about early offense vs early defense after the 2014 season: "I don't go in with any preconceived ideas that I'm not going to draft offensive players; I'm an offensive player myself, but I do believe you win with the defense."

In the first two rounds of his drafts in Baltimore, Newsome has drafted defense 24 times in the first and second rounds, while he has drafted offense 14 times.

The Ravens need CB's badly and around where they pick, there seems to be very good value at the corner position. There will be a lot of guys there that they have highly ranked at corner. Might Ozzy decide to take one of them and get a back like Ajayi or Coleman in the second? Or Yeldon or Davis in the 3rd? I think there is definitely a good chance of that considering Newsome's propensity for drafting defense and that their 2014 season was almost derailed because they were using corners off the street when hit by a couple of injuries at the position.

Throw in that their WR need is at least as great as the RB need and that this is another good year for WR's and I think there is a good chance that if he does go offense in round 1, that it will be WR.

*Arizona does have a need at RB but they also have a big need for an edge rusher, ILB, and OL. Maybe they feel like so many teams these days feel and try to get a back a little later in the draft. If one edge rusher they like slides a little to them, I think that is the way they'll go. They can find a very good back in the second round but the odds of finding a pass rusher beyond the first is pretty slim unless they just get plain lucky. You could say the same thing if an OL slides down that they like.

*Detroit has needs at DT and OL that are greater than any need for a RB. They have one decent OT (Riley Reiff) and one pretty good G (Larry Warford) but the other three spots need upgrades. At DT they have Ngata but that is just about it and he doesn't have very many seasons left, period. Their 2014 defense was built on strength up the middle and they need help there in a bad way.

Having said all of that... Any of those teams could see Gurley or Gordon as BPA and pull the trigger, so I never say never. However, some pretty compelling arguments can be made for any of those teams not taking RB in the first round, so it surely isn't written in stone that half of those 4 teams will draft RB in the first.

I really don't think Detroit will. Arizona and Baltimore could and would be the two biggest worries because they're picking pretty late in the first and might see other positions as picked over. San Diego might but I'd think they'll go in a different direction with their first and look for a back in the second.

I would line up the chances like this: Arizona>Baltimore>San Diego>Detroit.

It's going to be interesting.

Great post. But all you pointed out is it's a crapshoot. If we want a RB of Gurley or Gordon's caliber, and we sit back and wait and hope they are there but they could easily miss out on both. Then we have to pull the trigger or some other RB in the first round or get a JAG late in the 2nd round. We just can't let that happen.

We may not get AP but I bet they make a strong push for him. Time will tell.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Where are you guys seeing these new AP to Dallas rumors? I'm not seeing them anywhere. lol

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
I'm slowly moving further and further away from wanting Petetson

Obviously the cost will play a big part in all of this..but I'm not willing to give up much...and the fat contract he will demand isn't appealing...

I want Gordon

Not gonna happen IMO think Coleman, ajayi, Yelton, duke.....no say it again out loud...who needs Peterson.....exactly welcome back to the he is coming to big D club!

JBS

Reaction score
Great post. But all you pointed out is it's a crapshoot. If we want a RB of Gurley or Gordon's caliber, and we sit back and wait and hope they are there but they could easily miss out on both. Then we have to pull the trigger or some other RB in the first round or get a JAG late in the 2nd round. We just can't let that happen.

We may not get AP but I bet they make a strong push for him. Time will tell.

You can also go after AD after missing on the backs in round one

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Where are you guys seeing these new AP to Dallas rumors? I'm not seeing them anywhere. lol

Lol serious...Right now an article on yahoo"boys are interested in AD"....go watch the ESPN podcast this week about the boys Internet page and schefter's crying...then Google AD to cowboys and read one of a hundred articles since January.

JBS

Reaction score
Not gonna happen IMO think Coleman, ajayi, Yelton, duke.....no say it again out loud...who needs Peterson.....exactly welcome back to the he is coming to big D club!

I'm not following anything that you are saying

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
I'm not following anything that you are saying

I don't think Gordon will be there....look at the next group of backs that are...after analyzing the second group try and convince yourself of why AD isn't needed....finally welcome back to the AD is coming back to Dallas club

JBS

Reaction score
I don't think Gordon will be there....look at the next group of backs that are...after analyzing the second group try and convince yourself of why AD isn't needed....finally welcome back to the AD is coming back to Dallas club

I didn't say AD isn't needed

And guess what? Right after Gordon and Gurley go off the board, you can pick up the phone and call the vikes

Status
Not open for further replies.