After this Mess of contract negotiation, will a team be willing to pay Dak?

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Without a doubt, there would at least be a handful of teams in need that would pay the house for Dak. Commanders come to mind.

That's going to depend on Dak's performance this year. If he fails the test despite having the Cowboy's excellent supporting talent lineup, it won't look good for the Dakster. I mean if the Cowboys don't have enough talent for him, how much talent would he need? :omg:
On the other hand, if he really shines then I assume the Cowboys will be prepared to pay the man accordingly. Sounds fair to me.

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
That's going to depend on Dak's performance this year. If he fails the test despite having the Cowboy's excellent supporting talent lineup, it won't look good for the Dakster. I mean if the Cowboys don't have enough talent for him, how much talent would he need? :omg:
On the other hand, if he really shines then I assume the Cowboys will be prepared to pay the man accordingly. Sounds fair to me.

Nonsense. Dak has aced the first 4 years by any standard. And he is going to kill it this year, probably even more than last year.

Its not a QB's job to get a team to the SB.

If you wanted to peg ONE guy that has the responsibility, its MM. He has a top flight offense, a top 10 QB, a top 5 RB, an improved defense and he picked all the coaches.

Mike McCarthy is the guy. However, like anything else there are things out of his control like injuries.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
After this mess of a contract negotiation, will there be a team who is willing to pay Dak? Any team will now know that Dak will be intent on raking them through the coals and will be completely unwilling to even negotiate. This has been a bad faith ordeal by Francis from the start.
If the team wins there will be teams lined up to sign him. Including the cowboys. Idk why people think everybody can sign deals except him.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
After this mess of a contract negotiation, will there be a team who is willing to pay Dak? Any team will now know that Dak will be intent on raking them through the coals and will be completely unwilling to even negotiate. This has been a bad faith ordeal by Francis from the start.

Your asking is a team is willing to pay because of how these contract talks went? The same league who has no problem signing guys who are criminals and drug abusers? If Dak has a great season you bet his value to the Cowboys or another team would be great.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Nonsense. Dak has aced the first 4 years by any standard. And he is going to kill it this year, probably even more than last year.

If you wanted to peg ONE guy that has the responsibility, its MM. He has a top flight offense, a top 10 QB, a top 5 RB, an improved defense and he picked all the coaches.

Mike McCarthy is the guy. However, like anything else there are things out of his control like injuries.

Whaddya mean "nonsense"? I said "if he really shines, I assume the Cowboys will be prepared to pay him accordingly". What part of that is nonsense? I certainly hope that would be the case anyway. Hey I hope he does great.
But if he doesn't do well this year, I wouldn't bet the farm on a monster contract offer though.
JMO.

Last edited:

Buzzbait

Reaction score

Don't tell it to me, tell it to the Cowboys. I understand, but I'm not the one paying the man 31 mil this year, the Cowboys are. The question is what do THEY expect for that 31 mil?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Teams pay talent. If Dak further cements that he's one of the top 5-10 quarterbacks in the league, someone will pay him for it, and that someone is still most likely Dallas. Just because the two sides couldn't agree on a long-term deal now doesn't mean they won't. This season will be a bargaining chip one way or the other.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
The difference is, Dak doesn't have to negotiate with a team that wants him. They'll make an offer and he can take it or leave it. But unless he take the Cowboys deep into the playoffs, I doubt anyone will offer him more than what he turned down.

That's a great point. How well he plays this season will make a big difference in how much other teams will offer him. Given how hard it is to find a quality starting QB, there can be no doubt that other teams will be suitors to Dak. There's also no guarantee that these other teams will be smart in their approach. I recall the Eagles' absurd offer that lured DeMarco Murray away. That was not in the Eagles' best interests. They thought it was, but it wasn't. He simply was not worth what they payed him, and then when they had him they didn't even use a scheme designed to best exploit his abilities. They had the system that they were used to running, and they figured they could just plop Murray into it and he would do great.

My main point is, if some team comes along offering to overpay Dak against their own interests, I don't want the Cowboys to panic by matching such an offer. In a case like that, we're better off letting him go and moving on to other options, installing a stop-gap QB if need be and then drafting one, trading up if need be for the best one possible.

cern

Reaction score
he's an 8-8 guy with lots of stats, much like his predecessor. last year he was 0-9 in fourth quarter drives when a td would have tied the score or put us ahead. 0-5 against teams with winning records. no question he improved his throwing mechanics and became a better passer. but the finale against the eagles was very troubling.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
"....will a team be willing to pay Dak?"
Yes. Da Bears! https://sports.yahoo.com/bears-dak-prescott-next-offseason-160508605.html

he's an 8-8 guy with lots of stats, much like his predecessor. last year he was 0-9 in fourth quarter drives when a td would have tied the score or put us ahead. 0-5 against teams with winning records. no question he improved his throwing mechanics and became a better passer. but the finale against the eagles was very troubling.
What QB under Garrett wasn't?!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Whaddya mean "nonsense"? I said "if he really shines, I assume the Cowboys will be prepared to pay him accordingly". What part of that is nonsense? I certainly hope that would be the case anyway. Hey I hope he does great.
But if he doesn't do well this year, I wouldn't bet the farm on a monster contract offer though.
JMO.

I kinda got the feeling you were saying he hasn't done well in the past and there is a good chance he may not perform well again.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I kinda got the feeling you were saying he hasn't done well in the past and there is a good chance he may not perform well again.
Nah, that wasn't my intention. But the way the Cowboys are playing their hand, gotta wonder about THEIR intentions. Don't know if they already know what they want to do or if they're saying in essence "Prove it! If you can take us deep in the playoffs, prove it!"
I don't know the answer CR, I wish I did. I was expecting a signed contract, but it didn't happen. I'm tired of the drama, but it looks like we've got another whole season of drama ahead of us.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Don't tell it to me, tell it to the Cowboys. I understand, but I'm not the one paying the man 31 mil this year, the Cowboys are. The question is what do THEY expect for that 31 mil?

Offense cant move the ball much better than they did last year. Maybe more consistency and better scoring when they get in the redzone.

Dak cant play defense, cant kick field goals, cant coach, and cant make his receivers have more than the most drops in the NFL.

They can expect all they want, but if that defense doesn't improve then can expect an early playoff exit.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Nah, that wasn't my intention. But the way the Cowboys are playing their hand, gotta wonder about THEIR intentions. Don't know if they already know what they want to do or if they're saying in essence "Prove it! If you can take us deep in the playoffs, prove it!"
I don't know the answer CR, I wish I did. I was expecting a signed contract, but it didn't happen. I'm tired of the drama, but it looks like we've got another whole season of drama ahead of us.

Only explanation I have is with the uncertainty of the season and the current virus issue they don't know when they might play again or what the salary cap might be. So they if they don't get the contract they want, which they didn't, they will just kick the can down the road another year. And its insurance in case Dak were to get hurt or completely $h!t the bed like you suggested.

I think we can both agree that is probably false logic.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Largely will depend on how you view Dak. If you think he is elite then it is no big deal to dish out some insane numbers. If you think he is a franchise QB but not elite then your probably not going to get crazy with what you offer (stephen jones).

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
we can only hope they are a team out there who will take him. good job jerry. *high five*