After this Mess of contract negotiation, will a team be willing to pay Dak?

Skillit

Reaction score
I don't think so. I don't believe Wash wanted to keep Cousins.

Although Dan Snyder is about as dumb as they come—I think he was right to let Cousins go. It’s not that he has a QB now, but KC is getting paid mega bucks to be an above (slightly) average player in a team that is a top 5 QB away from being a shoe in NFCE title game participant.
Like Dak- Kirk wanted money he wasn’t worth.

kskboys

Reaction score
We have not seen Dak play under the guidance of Mike McCarthy, plus this team has undergone some interesting changes. We have a highly talented receiver corps along with an improved defense. Theoretically the FO could've tagged Dak for any of several different reasons. Don't know if they tagged him to give them time to find a replacement, or tagged him to give them 1 more year to decide whether he's their franchise QB, or if they're just still trying to reach a long term agreement and have yet to work it out.
Plus like I said, I'm sure they're interested in how he does with MM and this year's receiving corps.
Fans who claim to know the real reason are only speculating.
Absolutely. This whole contract impasse has been beyond puzzling. Guessing is fun, but we do not know.

kskboys

Reaction score
Although Dan Snyder is about as dumb as they come—I think he was right to let Cousins go. It’s not that he has a QB now, but KC is getting paid mega bucks to be an above (slightly) average player in a team that is a top 5 QB away from being a shoe in NFCE title game participant.
That's what I think.

Dak and Kirk could both be possible super bowl QB's, but not at maxed out salaries.

OGCowboy

Reaction score
It’s apparent Dak is a gambler....no prob with that. Except the virus hosed the vattos table play. If it wasn’t for the virus...he’d be signed. Now there’s more pressure...dude gotta double down and ball it up. If they don’t play this year...he loses coin. He needs to high ball now to maintain his edge at the table. With all the ballers around him...be easy for him to shine. Guarantee he’s praying they play this year...orale
Puro Cowboys

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s apparent Dak is a gambler....no prob with that. Except the virus hosed the vattos table play. If it wasn’t for the virus...he’d be signed. Now there’s more pressure...dude gotta double down and ball it up. If they don’t play this year...he loses coin. He needs to high ball now to maintain his edge at the table. With all the ballers around him...be easy for him to shine. Guarantee he’s praying they play this year...orale
Puro Cowboys

This is an interesting aspect of this that doesn't seem to have been discussed much. It's a fair point to wonder if, without the threat of the season not taking place at all, the Cowboys would have taken the 5th year off the table and signed Dak. As it is they may have worried that if the 2020 season isn't played that with a 4 year contract they would have effectively only had Dak committed for 3 seasons.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Saw this tweet about Kirk Cousins.

Skillit

Reaction score
he going to take a significant pay cut, if not, no way he'll be in NE.

Yep- he’ll get his comeuppance here — as I expect him to have another mediocre season in terms of accuracy, wins and losses and the team will generally under perform.

Dak will take the pay cut and end up being put to use by a superior coach who values defense and he’ll get a ring.

Flamma

Reaction score
That's what I think.

Dak and Kirk could both be possible super bowl QB's, but not at maxed out salaries.

Yep. They put their team at a disadvantage. The leverage they use is, who else ya got? And now in the salary cap era we rarely see great defenses that can make up for that.

Cowboysfan917

Reaction score
There isn't really a long list of teams desperate for a QB

I would say maybe Jacksonville.
That would be ideal for Dallas for a trade. Not happening.
But I feel very strongly that Jax would rather finish last and win the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes.
Get him for a small fraction of the price for 5 years vs paying 150+ for 4 years to Dak.

Just a guess.

In any case. The offense is completely set up for Dak this ...just loaded.
Assuming he has a nice year, then there will be plenty of interest.

I would even disagree there because they don’t totally know what Minshew is yet. He led like every rookie QB stat last season. The media just doesn’t cover it because it’s Jacksonville

Flamma

Reaction score
This is an interesting aspect of this that doesn't seem to have been discussed much. It's a fair point to wonder if, without the threat of the season not taking place at all, the Cowboys would have taken the 5th year off the table and signed Dak. As it is they may have worried that if the 2020 season isn't played that with a 4 year contract they would have effectively only had Dak committed for 3 seasons.

Four years could be fine when there's a rookie year left, but this would have been a new contract, not an extension. With the amount of money allegedly being 33-35 a year, there is no easy way to spread that out over 4 years. Even in the best of times with the cap rising as usual, his cap hit would be too high in just the 2nd year of his contract. Unless they did a stupid contract like 20, 25, 30, and 65. His guaranteed money would be 75 and you'd have no choice but to release him after the 3rd year.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
no, dak was the problem, if he wanted it done it would have gotten done. more excuses for dak
exactly, this went on for 5 months, and I guess some think dak had no idea what was being offered the whole time lol.
if that were the case I would not want him because that would show he is pretty stupid to not keep up to date on all offers and the details.
it is the biggest decision he will ever have to make and he sort of blew it.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Will other teams want to sign him? I think he just scared off some teams that might have wanted him.
He will still get offers, but not for big money and with a good team.
I think he would get signed on a incentive deal or a 1 year prove it deal , or long term at around 30 mil.

The boat has sailed and dak is standing on the dock saying wait come back! I changed my mind!

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Everyone should really open up the newspaper , click online Dallas newspapers, tune on the local radio and TV and hear who most are holding responsible for not getting a deal done for the Cowboys securing our franchise QB and what it means to our success and serious contention moving forward instead of pounding our chest how tough we were on standing pat in our offer. Wow!!
I really don't gibe a Rat's *** what the media says anymore. Dak's negotiations team wanted the world on a silver platter after they had already been offered a more than fair offer. Personally I'm glad they didn't back down.

My biggest regret is that they didn't use the non-exclusive tag, so Dak's true market price could have been set, instead of all of us arguing about what our perception of what it should be.