AI GM or Jerry?

shabazz

Reaction score
We need something or someone capable of swinging trades. Call it a GM or VP of Trading..... I don't care. This franchise is so handicapped by its inability to make deals , its like spotting the opponent a TD every game.
Nice, and sadly accurate.

When was the last trade we won? I honestly can't remember.
Jerry made two incredible decisions 35 years ago by hiring Jimmy and dealing Herschel for a king's ransom......he peaked early and that was the best and worst thing for him and apparently us.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No one's arguing w/ you, dude.

Kinda weak argument, guess I just expected more from you. I thought you were into evaluating and assessing?
The knuckleheads that still cry about Jerry firing Landry don't understand "analysis".

I don't blame the younger generations for hating Jerry's failures, but the Landry cult roots for the Cowboys to fail.

kskboys

Reaction score
The knuckleheads that still cry about Jerry firing Landry don't understand "analysis".

I don't blame the younger generations for hating Jerry's failures, but the Landry cult roots for the Cowboys to fail.
Yeah, I always thought that was silly. It was time to move on.

I had no idea your post was based on agenda drivel. Apologies.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I haven’t seen anyone on these boards still crying that Landry was fired or that he should have been retained. Zero. I am a huge fan of Tom Landry and I believed then as I do now, he needed to go. Just like Bill Belechick, the day comes when even the greatest coaches are done and the game has passed them by.

My problems with Jerry Jones have nothing to do with Landry. My problems with JJ are all about his lousy playoff record as a general manager the last three decades. That record speaks for itself. As does the 3 SBs he was a part of with Jimmy. Credit to Jerry for hiring Jimmy and letting him coach and have final say on personnel and the locker room. Jimmy was the last HC to have that authority in Dallas. Which speaks A ton to the last 28 years.

Landry cult? That sounds made up to me.

kskboys

Reaction score
I haven’t seen anyone on these boards still crying that Landry was fired or that he should have been retained. Zero. I am a huge fan of Tom Landry and I believed then as I do now, he needed to go. Just like Bill Belechick, the day comes when even the greatest coaches are done and the game has passed them by.

My problems with Jerry Jones have nothing to do with Landry. My problems with JJ are all about his lousy playoff record as a general manager the last three decades. That record speaks for itself. As does the 3 SBs he was a part of with Jimmy. Credit to Jerry for hiring Jimmy and letting him coach and have final say on personnel and the locker room. Jimmy was the last HC to have that authority in Dallas. Which speaks A ton to the last 28 years.

It was all over the place at first, but it's been so long now that you just don't hear people saying it anymore.

ArtClink

Reaction score

Great points Hazey. I don’t know why any so called Cowboy fan go out of their way to hate Landry. Do these posters have a functioning brain?

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Jerry made two incredible decisions 35 years ago by hiring Jimmy and dealing Herschel for a king's ransom......he peaked early and that was the best and worst thing for him and apparently us.
Jimmy handled the Walker trade. Jimmy was GM in those days as per his contract.

The ONLY thing Jerry ever did right was hiring Jimmy Johnson, which he quickly "corrected" after a few years. His goal was to derail the 90s dynasty, and he succeeded after his first attempt at derailing when he refused to sign Emmitt prior to the 93 season.

shabazz

Reaction score
Jimmy handled the Walker trade. Jimmy was GM in those days as per his contract.

The ONLY thing Jerry ever did right was hiring Jimmy Johnson, which he quickly "corrected" after a few years. His goal was to derail the 90s dynasty, and he succeeded after his first attempt at derailing when he refused to sign Emmitt prior to the 93 season.
Even if Jimma was the architect behind the Walker trade, I always give credit to the executive that delegated authority to do so.

As for Emmits resigning, he only took 2 games to cave in so no harm done on that.

I'm not convinced Jerra wanted to derail his team at that point......but the 2024 season?..... quite possibly.

plasticman

Reaction score
You don't need something as sophisticated as AI to improve team management.

You could improve the management of this team by spinning a wheel of fortune, or more precisely, the possible options in each space. You could improve management's decisions using any simple random method,

The choices would be printed on the outer portion of the wheel, equally sectioned off. There would be "sign him", "trade him", "fire him", "the blond", etc.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Or just take thugs, slugs, and lugs repeatedly in the 2nd round.
I always viewed the second round of the draft as Jerry's gambling fix he just had to take a chance on some injured or problem person.

Hoping to hit on a blue chip player that would make him look like an ultimate football guy

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I always viewed the second round of the draft as Jerry's gambling fix he just had to take a chance on some injured or problem person.

Hoping to hit on a blue chip player that would make him look like an ultimate football guy
I’ve often wondered why we don’t use our second round pick in a trade for a player who could plug and play. Very few of our second rounders have panned out. Why not use it as a trade chip instead of Jerry’s pet fantasy football project?

plasticman

Reaction score
I’ve often wondered why we don’t use our second round pick in a trade for a player who could plug and play. Very few of our second rounders have panned out. Why not use it as a trade chip instead of Jerry’s pet fantasy football project?
What frustrates me the most is knowing that the Patriots built and maintained championship teams by using 2nd round draft picks.

Bilecik felt that most 1st round picks were grossly overpaid. They would sometimes sit on the bench while getting paid more than the veteran they were backing up. When it came time for them to negotiate a new contract, they weren't worth the cap hit.

By using an abundance of 2nd and 3rd rounds picks, he built a team of solid players without having to pay the entitled 1st round "stars".

Bilecik made it a habit to trade 1st round picks for multiple 2nd and 3rd rounders. These trades often included the other team's 1st round pick for the following season. This is where Bilecik felt he could acquire the most value. Most teams place less value on future 1st round picks.

During the combined three drafts of 2009 to 2011 The Patriots had nine 2nd round picks and five 3rd round picks. Thats an average of almost five picks a season in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.