Aikman exposed Kellen Moore

visionary

Reaction score
Aikman’s 92 playoff run was one of the greatest of all times and ridiculous for that era.

“Troy Aikman had a passer rating of 106.3 with 2915 yards, 21 touchdowns and 8 interceptions in 11 games in the playoffs between the 1992 and 1995 seasons.”

If he wanted to pad his stats he could have easily done it, but he sacrificed for Emmitt at the goal line.
His SB performance against the Bills was one of the greatest you’ll ever see.

Comparing stats between eras is asinine:

Marino and Elway threw under 60%, less than Aikman’s career average and Mac Jones threw for 70% against the Falcons just last week. Stats in that era were completely different, because DBs could put their hands on WRs and you could literally launch yourself off the ground at a WR going over the middle. Teams get away with pick plays nowadays, that didn’t work back than, because the DBs would blow up the pick play.

QBs could be hit below the legs of the hands could hit the helmet without penalty and so on. If you go back even further, to the 70s, guys like Deacon Jones would slap the helmets of OL guys, which is illegal today.

exactly
These idiots who never saw Aikman don’t know what they missed

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All I'm saying is you can tell there's a different coach running the defense and offense.
All we needed to do was pitch the ball to Pollard until they vacated the box. Different game after that.
But no Moore comes from the old school pocket club.
Hope he opens it up

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hard to play well when the line folds.

Well, when you have chris jones destroying the pass blocking, you need to run the ball. In cold weather, you run the ball. Our OL is better run blocking particularly without Tyron. Pollard was gashing the defense for 7 YPC but we refused to ride him. I guess there is no glory in running the ball and winning ugly. Dak and Moore need to get a grip and settle down.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone heard, but Troy was very critical of our passing game. He mentioned how there was on one play 2 wide receivers not even looking like they're running routes. When we tried to get a first down, NONE of the wide receivers were even close to the first down marker!!

I noticed that we lacked QUICK passing plays against a defense that brought pressure seemingly every play. Did anyone see this or hear this, what are your thoughts

quick passing plays to get rid of the ball from QB are the norm from any OC when your OL cant block, but that hasnt been the case in Dallas for long long time. Maybe Dak is not able to do , but he kind of showed that in the Buccs game , so go figure!

i havent seen quick hitting slants or crossing routes in 4 games , even quick bursting through the line run plays also , may be Zeke is hurt ( and KM wants to use shotgun mostly ) Even Pollards burst is wasted many times as he has to start way back behind the scrimmage.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone heard, but Troy was very critical of our passing game. He mentioned how there was on one play 2 wide receivers not even looking like they're running routes. When we tried to get a first down, NONE of the wide receivers were even close to the first down marker!!

I noticed that we lacked QUICK passing plays against a defense that brought pressure seemingly every play. Did anyone see this or hear this, what are your thoughts
The only thing Troy criticized was the fact Wonder boy does not know how to call running plays when down 10 points with almost 10 minutes left in the game. Only one thing stops the Dallas running game, not calling running plays or pass plays to the RB.

You drive down that field breaking the Chiefs defensive with your running backs, leave 3 minutes on the clock down by 3, and I bet Andy Reid is going to pass the ball back to the Cowboys to tie the game or win the game.

Proof

Reaction score
I'm sure Cooper going out on a day before travel day didn't help but KM should have adjusted to more of a quick pass game seeing our OL getting man handled.
I was surprised we didn't use Pollard more early also as he was getting good positive yards when he was in.

i'm actually surprised they didn't just do what they do with micah. when the d line was riddled with injuries, they moved him to de. with the receiving corps riddled with injuries, put pollard in the slot

Havic

Reaction score
Well, when you have chris jones destroying the pass blocking, you need to run the ball. In cold weather, you run the ball. Our OL is better run blocking particularly without Tyron. Pollard was gashing the defense for 7 YPC but we refused to ride him. I guess there is no glory in running the ball and winning ugly. Dak and Moore need to get a grip and settle down.

I agree. We havent been running the ball consistently well for several weeks now.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
I agree. We havent been running the ball consistently well for several weeks now.

A banged-up, and sometimes over-rated offensive line. They have a lot to prove to me. And in the biggest games, the offensive line tends to struggle.

But also, Dak played poorly...and Kellen's early game plan stunk, and then he made bad adjustments.

Outcoached, outplayed, and banged up. No wonder they lost.

plasticman

Reaction score
I think the Cowboys should develop an offensive and defensive scheme where their starters are completely healthy.

They don't have to play every game missing a half dozen starters, most of them former or potential Pro Bowlers.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Spagnola exposred dak. play the defense close to the line of scrimmage and don't let him know what they are running until the ball is snapped. apply pressure and shaky folds up like a broken lawn chair.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

is those bad route running Moore's fault? or the WRs?

b0xZZ

Reaction score
I noticed a lack of slants when their consistent pressure dictated it but then again, Dak isn't always super accurate on those slant passes.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Maybe Moore is not game planning or adjusting. Our old OC looked good against bad teams. It’s about calling plays our Offense can execute during the game.. He is still young as far as calling plays uncuffed. JG kept a leash on him..

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Besides the Oline getting beat down, the team still has to execute. They didn't do a very good job at that on Sunday. Moore is just another name in a long list of fall guys for this forum. Replace him with *this person* next year and you all will have threads up asking for their heads too.

kramskoi

Reaction score
Besides the Oline getting beat down, the team still has to execute. They didn't do a very good job at that on Sunday. Moore is just another name in a long list of fall guys for this forum. Replace him with *this person* next year and you all will have threads up asking for their heads too.
Moore's gameplan/playcalling was dubious, especially in the second half without Lamb. He served up a Scott Linehan/Jason Garrett special. KC is built to play downhill with a lead...stop the run on the way to the QB. They bite heavily on play-action and often sellout to stop the run. But Moore didn't seem to have running on his mind. KC can't run so they have short drives, giving Dallas plenty of time to utilize the run game to pull up the linebackers and create space for the intermediate routes, since you didn't really have time to go deep too much. Moore instead just seem to forget everything that wasn't in the arsenal. He proceeded like the offense was at full strength. McCarthy, having coached many years with Rodgers, who hardly requires a running game, was the second culprit in this mess. Prescott a third...if he was checking out of run plays. The cute, spread'em out and try to beat Chris Jones before he wrecks the frigging play didn't work out so well. But it went on and on and on until it was over. No heavy 12 or 13 packages...at least not enough to get KCs attention. Instead? Chuck ball, on a windy day, against a hostile crowd, down Smith, Cooper and Lamb, not to mention a first start for McGovern. Moore played right into the Chiefs hand.

I'm rather sick of this nonsense. Those who don't remember or didn't see that 90s team just don't get it. Those who think that Prescott is Aaron Rodgers just don't get it. Those who think that Dallas can finesse and Air Coryell their way past every team it meets, regardless of health and conditions, don't get it. The best friend Prescott had in 2016 was Demarco Murray and a vicious running game. Yes the line performed at a high level that year but the running game made his job a lot damn easier. Against KC he was sitting on ~4 yds/att and less than 100 yds passing near the end of the 3rd quarter. But Moore persisted with his wannabe West Coast type plan. 27% to 73%...run - pass mix with Chris Jones and Frank Clark terrorizing the frigging o-line.

This team simply doesn't know what it wants to be right now and that means you lose a guiding thread. The paradox of the situation is that Dallas has TOO MANY weapons...so many that Moore might be overthinking things. If McCarthy thinks he can run this offense the way he ran the one in Green Bay he is in for more rude awakenings on Sunday's to come. Run the damn ball. It's like no one remembers how Dallas won 3 Superbowls in 4 years.

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The Brown drop was huge. That was a scoring drive for sure.
and the wilson being wide open drop...he started running before having the ball in his hand....that's why we teach kids to keep eye on the ball until the ball is in their hands...don't ever assume or make a move....

visionary

Reaction score
and the wilson being wide open drop...he started running before having the ball in his hand....that's why we teach kids to keep eye on the ball until the ball is in their hands...don't ever assume or make a move....

Wilson and Brown each dropped 2 sitters

When your team is struggling you have to make at least the gimme plays

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Wilson and Brown each dropped 2 sitters

When your team is struggling you have to make at least the gimme plays
in close games it comes down to making those type of plays. against NE we did, like the wilson catch and the CD catch...but in this game we just weren't focused.