Alarming stat downplays Dak Prescott's passing ability

glimmerman

Reaction score
Your point is bull. If you are going to say that drops are because of inaccurate passes, then that is true for every quarterback and Dak is no "worse" than others, in that regard. The drops last year had nothing to do with ball placement.
Not all drops. Some are just dropped passes. And every QB throws passes that are off. Some are very far off but it hits there hands or hand, so if it touches there hand and if they don’t haul it in then it’s counted as a drop for them. On those passes I think some of the blame falls in the WB also. It’s no biggie, happens to all QB. I watched brady over throw a wide open WR twice in one game.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
false selective stats. meaningless . otherwise why is winston out of a job . he has 5109 yards
If you can't tell the difference between Dak and Winston, there is not much to help you. I say go watch some film on Winston. YouTube has most game film on him.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Not all drops. Some are just dropped passes. And every QB throws passes that are off. Some are very far off but it hits there hands or hand, so if it touches there hand and if they don’t haul it in then it’s counted as a drop for them. On those passes I think some of the blame falls in the WB also. It’s no biggie, happens to all QB. I watched brady over throw a wide open WR twice in one game.
I mean yea I agree with the general point.

It's just very misplaced in the context of Dak. His accuracy wouldn't have improved the drop issues last year.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Some QBs throw a more catchable ball than others. Don’t know if that is the case with Dak but I would like to see less drops and more passes hitting receivers in stride.
There was an article not too long ago showing Dak is one of the better QBs in the league at throwing catchable passes.......

12+88=7

Reaction score
Let's all reply the same to all Prescott threads, "still no contract".

This will give the fire no oxygen and it will die and go away.

All the Prescott posters, for and against, will then go away with no threads to post.

Problem solved, you're welcome.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I mean yea I agree with the general point.

It's just very misplaced in the context of Dak. His accuracy wouldn't have improved the drop issues last year.
Well some people are using it as a excuse to say don’t pay Dak and some are using it to say it’s not on Dak. The truth is it’s the same for every QB. They all throw passes that are so far off it’s dropped and some are just dropped. Our WR had a bigger problem last year. Not sure if that’s on the WR coach or not. When he came in I kept hearing everyone saying how much better our WR were going to get. Lol. This team was just off last year. May have had to do with our lame duck HC.

John813

Reaction score
None of those QBs' teams led the league in dropped passes like the Cowboys did last year. Not even close. Very easy to figure out. Cool but a dumb thing to think about, eh?

You have the # of dropped passes back in 2011 and 2013?
Please post sources, since it's very easy to figure out. Also, the hypothetical yards that would of been gained, had those receivers caught the passes.

Depending on 2019 sources, Gallup dropped between 6 and 13 drops. Wait, this article said he only had 11. ****, that means more yardage for Dak. Even though a completion at one point of the game may have a small or large effect on that half. Say Gallup dropped a pass on 2nd down. 3rd down they get the first down and then they continue to pass it down the field for a FG or TD. But what if he caught it, but then Pollard then breaks off a 50 yard rushing TD the next play, then negating all the passing yards Dak did get after Gallup dropped it.

It's mental gymnastics.

I'm for Dak, but these what if articles are nothing more than fluff. The season has been played, and he ended up with 4,902 yards. The end.

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
Totally agree, except for your very last sentence. It's hard not to talk about the QB since he's the most important player on most teams, handles the football the most, is at most times the leader of the team and takes as much of the blame for losses as he does wins. There is absolutely nothing wrong with praising your QB as much as you do your team, especially when both are good. It's the haters of the QB who have gone off the rails, and obviously their constant daily hate has affected a few posters.

Oh Roy , (I'm reminded of Quigly Down Under), you could still talk QB play in the FanZone. The problem is when you start insulting someone else because you disagree with their opinion on the QB. This would take aggressive moderation but I see it work on another very active forum of which I'm a frequent member. If politics comes into this forum it is moved into the forum that is relegated to politics and religion and is loosely moderated. Then you can just knock yourself out being a jerk.

Politeness is quickly becoming a lost quality in our society. There are well mannered ways to disagree with people.

Scotman

Reaction score
I'm a fan of Dak at this point. But, taking ANY stat and either adding in or taking out outliers of numbers and then comparing those results to unmolested numbers is an exercise in futility.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
  • By Brad Crawford
  • Jun 8, 2020 at 7:50 am ET • 1 min read
Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott last fall enjoyed a career-best season, one that would've been even better had his receivers held onto the football. According to Pro Football Focus, Prescott led the NFL in air yards lost on dropped passes with 392 thanks to a group of receivers that were wildly-inconsistent when targeted.

Prescott finished with a career-high 4,902 passing yards (1 yard shy of tying Tony Romo's franchise single season passing yards record...and 2 yards shy of breaking it), nearly breaking the all-time single-season franchise record and has used that production as a primary strength during the negotiation process this offseason. Cowboys wideout Michael Gallup ranked second in the league with 11 drops on 113 targets while Randall Cobb in the slot tied for sixth with eight drops on 83 targets.

These numbers prove Prescott would in fact be considered among the league's elite under center if his supporting cast did a better job of holding up their end of the bargain.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/alarming-stat-downplays-dak-prescotts-passing-ability/
via: cbssports

If one adds those 392 air yards lost (due to Cowboys WRs leading the league in drops in 2019) to Dak's career-high 4,902 passing yards, that would have increased his total to 5,294 yards: roughly 5,300 passing in 2019...by far the highest single season Cowboys franchise passing record and without a doubt an elite passer throughout the league. It also would have landed Dak with the 3rd highest single season passing yards ever in NFL history:

Current NFL Top 10 highest single season passing records:

1 Peyton Manning (37) 5,477 2013 DEN
2 Drew Brees (32) 5,476 2011 NOR
3 Tom Brady (34) 5,235 2011 NWE
4 Drew Brees (37) 5,208 2016 NOR
5 Drew Brees (33) 5,177 2012 NOR
6 Drew Brees (34) 5,162 2013 NOR
7 Ben Roethlisberger (36) 5,129 2018 PIT
8 Jameis Winston (25) 5,109 2019 TAM
9 Patrick Mahomes (22) 5,097 2018 KAN
10 Dan Marino+ (22) 5,084 1984 MIA

No wonder Dak at age 26 (entering his prime) is holding out for top overall QB pay. He's only going to get better under new Head Coach Mike McCarthy and his pro-passer QB system.

How Bout Them Cowboys! :starspin:

:popcorn:
cowboy--- i know what i am about to say may wrinkle some feathers...but i have observed Dak throw the football very closely over last 4 years ...and i have seen his progression in technique especially last year...but there are times when Dak does not have "touch" on his throws....which can leave ball off target...and too fast in close quarters...this has to be taken into account in those dropped passes?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Oh Roy , (I'm reminded of Quigly Down Under), you could still talk QB play in the FanZone. The problem is when you start insulting someone else because you disagree with their opinion on the QB. This would take aggressive moderation but I see it work on another very active forum of which I'm a frequent member. If politics comes into this forum it is moved into the forum that is relegated to politics and religion and is loosely moderated. Then you can just knock yourself out being a jerk.

Politeness is quickly becoming a lost quality in our society. There are well mannered ways to disagree with people.
Show me where I came out gunslinging at posters who dislike Dak on this thread? If anything, I only defend myself against such attackers. Sounds like you are trying to play mind games and blame me for something you are actually doing: falsely accusing me of being the attacker, when in reality, YOU are the attacker. You should heed your own words/advice. Nice try trying to spin your reality on me. Try again Dak hater.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
cowboy--- i know what i am about to say may wrinkle some feathers...but i have observed Dak throw the football very closely over last 4 years ...and i have seen his progression in technique especially last year...but there are times when Dak does not have "touch" on his throws....which can leave ball off target...and too fast in close quarters...this has to be taken into account in those dropped passes?
Of course. You're right. But...name those passes dropped because of the reasons you correctly stated. I'm sure they are very minimal. Other posters have already shown mini video clips of both Zeke and Gallup dropping passes that hit them in the hands and were very catchable.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I'm a fan of Dak at this point. But, taking ANY stat and either adding in or taking out outliers of numbers and then comparing those results to unmolested numbers is an exercise in futility.
Agreed, except I don't care about those other QBs since their WRs drops were much less than Dak's WRs. The article writer did his work mentioning Dak's lost passing yards (almost 400 yards more) which I felt such a high number was too important not to talk about. This article is for Cowboys fans interested in seeing what more potential was left on the field since so many supposed Cowboys fans like to bash and diminish Dak's potential on this forum daily.

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
Show me where I came out gunslinging at posters who dislike Dak on this thread? If anything, I only defend myself against such attackers. Sounds like you are trying to play mind games and blame me for something you are actually doing: falsely accusing me of being the attacker, when in reality, YOU are the attacker. You should heed your own words/advice. Nice try trying to spin your reality on me. Try again Dak hater.

WTH ? Did I miss something?

Oh, I see where you are coming from. I had to re-read my post.

When I used the word "you" I should have said "anyone" or "someone". I meant my statement and response to you in a generalized way ... meaning ANYONE should still talk QB talk without attacking other posters in the process. This is no way a pointed attack at you, one of the valued Cowboy fans on the board.

Thanks for your understanding in this matter.

Last edited:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
You have the # of dropped passes back in 2011 and 2013?
Please post sources, since it's very easy to figure out. Also, the hypothetical yards that would of been gained, had those receivers caught the passes.

Depending on 2019 sources, Gallup dropped between 6 and 13 drops. Wait, this article said he only had 11. ****, that means more yardage for Dak. Even though a completion at one point of the game may have a small or large effect on that half. Say Gallup dropped a pass on 2nd down. 3rd down they get the first down and then they continue to pass it down the field for a FG or TD. But what if he caught it, but then Pollard then breaks off a 50 yard rushing TD the next play, then negating all the passing yards Dak did get after Gallup dropped it.

It's mental gymnastics.

I'm for Dak, but these what if articles are nothing more than fluff. The season has been played, and he ended up with 4,902 yards. The end.
The link to the article and its writer are in the opening post. Go do your own research. Not going to do it for you.

Star Guard_31

Reaction score
  • By Brad Crawford
  • Jun 8, 2020 at 7:50 am ET • 1 min read
Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott last fall enjoyed a career-best season, one that would've been even better had his receivers held onto the football. According to Pro Football Focus, Prescott led the NFL in air yards lost on dropped passes with 392 thanks to a group of receivers that were wildly-inconsistent when targeted.

Prescott finished with a career-high 4,902 passing yards (1 yard shy of tying Tony Romo's franchise single season passing yards record...and 2 yards shy of breaking it), nearly breaking the all-time single-season franchise record and has used that production as a primary strength during the negotiation process this offseason. Cowboys wideout Michael Gallup ranked second in the league with 11 drops on 113 targets while Randall Cobb in the slot tied for sixth with eight drops on 83 targets.

These numbers prove Prescott would in fact be considered among the league's elite under center if his supporting cast did a better job of holding up their end of the bargain.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/alarming-stat-downplays-dak-prescotts-passing-ability/
via: cbssports

If one adds those 392 air yards lost (due to Cowboys WRs leading the league in drops in 2019) to Dak's career-high 4,902 passing yards, that would have increased his total to 5,294 yards: roughly 5,300 passing in 2019...by far the highest single season Cowboys franchise passing record and without a doubt an elite passer throughout the league. It also would have landed Dak with the 3rd highest single season passing yards ever in NFL history:

Current NFL Top 10 highest single season passing records:

1 Peyton Manning (37) 5,477 2013 DEN
2 Drew Brees (32) 5,476 2011 NOR
3 Tom Brady (34) 5,235 2011 NWE
4 Drew Brees (37) 5,208 2016 NOR
5 Drew Brees (33) 5,177 2012 NOR
6 Drew Brees (34) 5,162 2013 NOR
7 Ben Roethlisberger (36) 5,129 2018 PIT
8 Jameis Winston (25) 5,109 2019 TAM
9 Patrick Mahomes (22) 5,097 2018 KAN
10 Dan Marino+ (22) 5,084 1984 MIA

No wonder Dak at age 26 (entering his prime) is holding out for top overall QB pay. He's only going to get better under new Head Coach Mike McCarthy and his pro-passer QB system.

How Bout Them Cowboys! :starspin:

:popcorn:

What's more alarming to me is the number of dropped interceptions that Dak benefited from. Dak could have just as easily thrown 27 picks last year, also per PFF. 30 TDs against 27 INTs wouldn't have made for nearly as impressive of a stat line.

Jameis Winston is the only QB in the league that had more would be INTs dropped by DBs, which is a scary thought considering how many INTs Winston still managed to throw.