All BPA, per Ireland on the Ticket

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
The IMMEDIATE consensus of the 2002 draft was that it was a huge success.

Four years later and Roy Williams is all we have to show for it (unless Gurode really improves soon).

Let's wait until the games are played (and the draft is actually OVER) until we call this a wasted draft.

VTEXPRESS

Reaction score
sago1 said:
Well if Jerry cut out Gosselin's list and brought it along, he should have read the part where Gosselin ranked FS Calvin Lowry as 82 best player in top 100, several players above Hatcher. Lowry was described as just the kind of FS we need playing beside Roy Williams. I recognize both Fasano and Hatcher are pretty good players (and not lousy players are some on the board seem to think). My problem is we passed over players like Lowry that Gosselin rated higher then those we took and the passed over players were at positions we need. That's my gripe with last 2 picks.
They can still get him. Maybe they thought somebody would grab Hatcher today. Lowry is still there.

TheEnigma

Anomaly
Reaction score
4lifecowboy said:
So what you are saying is there are 3 FS on the board ranked in Gosselin's top 100 when we selected Hatcher, well IMO the logic would stand that there would be a good chance one would still be there in the next round.

Logic is not allowed on a message board. Get that crap out of here and start reasoning with your emotions. :D

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AdamJT13 said:
Rick Gosselin, whose Top 100 rankings have been BY FAR the most accurate each season, ranked Carpenter 18th overall, Fasano 54th overall and Hatcher 88th overall. We took Carpenter 18th, Fasano 53rd and Hatcher 92nd -- almost exactly where they should have gone.

Not to mention the value of the extra draft picks we got for trading down.

thewivil

Reaction score
Natedawg44 said:
I totally agree jack no way he was BPA he was a through and through Parcells pick. New Jersey guy, Italian TE, I'm surprized we didn't take him at 18.

When you can spell correctly, your opinion will be taken seriously.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
Logic, Logic.......the Cowboys draft gurus didn't use any this year, so why should any of the fans on this board?

DiscipleofTuna

Reaction score
Im sure the Eagle fans said the same thing when they drafted Sheppard and Brown in the upper rounds having Vincent and Taylor on lockdown at corner.

Im sure Patriot fans are saying that after drafting Thomas in the 3rd round even with

Merlin

Reaction score
Good playoff teams have the luxury of drafting the BPA. The Cowboys are not one of the teams that really had that luxury. There are some serious needs and you can draft BPA at those positions or trade down and pick up more picks. Taking a TE in the 2nd is absurd. Makes no sense at all and I am not even sure he was anywhere close to a BPA.

Guys need to realize that we are drafting PPA (Parcells). You factor that into the equation and now the draft makes sense but it was still horrible. Most of his guys that he has brought here have not panned out. There was Ryan Young and then he drafted Jacob Rogers. Both huge busts and there are others as well. New England took a good approch with Parcells and didnt give him total control over personnel. He got mad and left but they knew what they were doing, didnt they?

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Idgit said:
Not to mention the value of the extra draft picks we got for trading down.
:hammer:

I am just glad that I am not in situation where my life depended on a positive outlook by some of the posters because I would be dead as friend chicken.

BP and co know what they are doing, I wanted Manny Lawson but they selected Carpenter, get over it and move on. For the first time in a long time we were able to select the BPP per our board.

We might not agree but neither of us put the time and effort that Ireland, the scouts, and BP put into evaluating and developing their draft board. Watching msn / yahoo clips and repeating what the Mel Kiper's of the world doesn't count. When I look at this year's team we are by far the most talented since our 1990's run.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
Last year the Cowboys was seen to be one of the best drafts rated by everyone. 2006 draft just make everyone scratch there heads, its either a HERO or ZERO.
picking twice in the first round had a lot to do with that.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
adbutcher said:
:hammer:

I am just glad that I am not in situation where my life depended on a positive outlook by some of the posters because I would be dead as friend chicken.

BP and co know what they are doing, I wanted Manny Lawson but they selected Carpenter, get over it and move on. For the first time in a long time we were able to select the BPP per our board.

We might not agree but neither of us put the time and effort that Ireland, the scouts, and BP put into evaluating and developing their draft board.
Watching msn / yahoo clips and repeating what the Mel Kiper's of the world doesn't count. When I look at this year's team we are by far the most talented since our 1990's run.
Why do I keep seeing this as some sore of directive to blindly agree with what our front office has chosen?

Larry Lacewell and Jerry Jones worked dillegently to review players, determine their ability, etc., and all that hard work didn't make those drafts better.

Why does Jeff Ireland & Co seem to get all this respect? I mean, not trying to knock them (yet), but I'm not going to crown them based on the one successful draft thus far!

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
My thought is this, I see nothing wrong with BPA, especially for a team that went deep into the playoffs. But we aren't in that situation yet.

But I will say that you can also do BPA in moderation. We can fill some needs on the first day then BPA the second day. Or fill needs with the first and second pick, then BPA after that. Whatever, but the point is I don't think this team was ready to go BPA after the first pick.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
Why do I keep seeing this as some sore of directive to blindly agree with what our front office has chosen?

Larry Lacewell and Jerry Jones worked dillegently to review players, determine their ability, etc., and all that hard work didn't make those drafts better.

Why does Jeff Ireland & Co seem to get all this respect? I mean, not trying to knock them (yet), but I'm not going to crown them based on the one successful draft thus far!
You can only go by demonstrated ability. The Lacewell/Jones connection failed miserably after our championship runs, if you can't see that then I don't know what to say to convince you otherwise.

As far as the new regime, they have improved the team each year they have been here and I don't see that changing with this draft.

It is your right to complain but ask yourself are you complaining because you are ignorant or is it justifiable. Most here never heard of the players so instead of investigating who they are, they just pulled out the umbrellas and proclaimed the sky is falling. I rather take in the information (scouting reports/pre-season/regular season) before I draw my conclusions.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Eddie said:
BPA with common sense should be the approach.

Pure linear thought without regard to impact is useless.

Drafting the BPA when we have a Pro Bowler in front of him and HUGE holes in other areas may NOT be the best approach. After the top 8-10 players, most of the next batch grade out very similar.
The Giants must be using the same system since they reached to select an underachieving DE in round 1 when they have the two best in the NFC east....go figure.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
The Giants must be using the same system since they reached to select an underachieving DE in round 1 when they have the two best in the NFC east....go figure.
There is no arguing the point against so many that can do a better job then BP and the revamped scouting department. :rolleyes:

Eddie

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:

Go figure, considering Strahan is probably in his final season.

Vertigo_17

Reaction score
Eddie said:
One thing I know for certain ... when we throw sentences like "we need to wait 2 or more years to truly evaluate this draft" ... that's when I know we things up royally.

If we truly had a top notch draft like last year ... we KNOW it IMMEDIATELY!!!!

why, cause these aren't the sexy media picks? don't the guys need to play a couple of actual NFL games before we know how they turned out?

Awakened

the Dude abides
Reaction score
Bigdog24 said:
No because it was full of value picks

I could have six pack of Budweiser but lets take a twelve pack of Plan label instead....

Better yet, I could have a pint of Guinness but lets take a six pack of Budweiser instead...