All I want for Christmas is an Elite QB

CPanther95

Reaction score
so holding a team to 10 points for nearly 3 quarters on the road in big game wasn't good enough?17 total and only needed one great drive to win for nearly 20mins where it remained only 8points?

how about in the 2nd half having wide open WRs all over the filed with time to throw but having a Qb who couldn't hit them if they were standing right in front of him.. ughh,, Dak lost the philly game..

Are you building a team to beat the Eagles in Week 16 of 2019, or are you looking to build a team that will be a legitimate SB contender someone in the future?

blueblood70

Reaction score
Didn’t say it would be easy.

We are a talent dependent franchise since Elite coaching isn’t a high priority for Jerry.
name all the elite qbs that came out of the last 5 drafts, Mahomes possibly? dont say Jackson hes not elite at QB hes a dynamic playmaker, that cant be reproduced..

how about 10?

I'm having a hard time right off the top of my head but maybe Luck but he was injury prone and Russell Wilson who was what 7-8 drafts ago..

theres afew really good ones like Watson but Elite? they are Unicorns..

blueblood70

Reaction score
Are you building a team to beat the Eagles in Week 16 of 2019, or are you looking to build a team that will be a legitimate SB contender someone in the future?
im saying playing great defense didnt help because there always seems to be one player or coach on this teams that takes turns in blowing game..

there arent many teams that supposedly have a great coach and some have an elite qb or a great defense that does it over along period of time..

Rams one year, eagles one year etc etc even the Chiefs dropped off this season from last, its hard to have great team with all the parity in the NFL..the windows seem small and lots of factors and luck goes into getting to a SB unless you are NE..

Diehardblues

Reaction score
name all the elite qbs that came out of the last 5 drafts, Mahomes possibly? dont say Jackson hes not elite at QB hes a dynamic playmaker, that cant be reproduced..

how about 10?

I'm having a hard time right off the top of my head but maybe Luck but he was injury prone and Russell Wilson who was what 7-8 drafts ago..

theres afew really good ones like Watson but Elite? they are Unicorns..
It’s not my job to find one . I’m just a fan yearning for one.

But my hunch is some of the top drafted QB’s in recent years would have fared much better in this offense with supporting cast than some of the horrid teams they went to.

blueblood70

Reaction score
It’s not my job to find one . I’m just a fan yearning for one.
im thinking its easier to replace the staff and maybe with little luck taking the current team with little changes in player personnel and going the distance then finding a Elite QB.. ie what the rams did with a lot of old players that couldn't win and Mcvay came in and turned it around quickly, they went for it nearly got it but now might be paying the paper with so many overpriced FAs, draft picks used up, and the cap..The Eagles did it similarly with the chip kelley debacle but also not last very long..

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Every fan wants an elite QB for their team but how many are there and how many have been truly elite? There's only a handful that qualify for that during any given decade and some that are considered unique like Starr, Bradshaw and Aikman, look at the teams around them. Marino was considered an elite QB and has nothing but individual records to show for that.

You give me a 2nd tier QB, like Prescott, and an elite D and I'll show you rings. QB's do not win championships, D's do, just as it did the last one.

An elite QB can lift an offense but not a team. It is still all about team.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
im thinking its easier to replace the staff and maybe with little luck taking the current team with little changes in player personnel and going the distance then finding a Elite QB.. ie what the rams did with a lot of old players that couldn't win and Mcvay came in and turned it around quickly, they went for it nearly got it but now might be paying the paper with so many overpriced FAs, draft picks used up, and the cap..The Eagles did it similarly with the chip kelley debacle but also not last very long..
But is coaching a priority for Jerry. He’s miserable now with the thought of having to replace Jason. That should tell you all we need to know about our Reality.

We are a talent dependent franchise. I see an offense that with a Prolific Passer could be a real threat in this league.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Every fan wants an elite QB for their team but how many are there and how many have been truly elite? There's only a handful that qualify for that during any given decade and some that are considered unique like Starr, Bradshaw and Aikman, look at the teams around them. Marino was considered an elite QB and has nothing but individual records to show for that.

You give me a 2nd tier QB, like Prescott, and an elite D and I'll show you rings. QB's do not win championships, D's do, just as it did the last one.

An elite QB can lift an offense but not a team. It is still all about team.
Very true CC.

But our situation is unique here. We have an owner/GM where coaching isn’t a priority and defenses are an afterthought. He’s a Follow the Ball on offense kind of fan by your own admittance.

If your going to invest so heavily as we have on offensive talent why not go for a more Prolific Passer and potential Elite type QB?

blueblood70

Reaction score
But is coaching a priority for Jerry. He’s miserable now with the thought of having to replace Jason. That should tell you all we need to know about our Reality.

We are a talent dependent franchise. I see an offense that with a Prolific Passer could be a real threat in this league.
changes are coming lets see how that goes before saying jerry doesnt care, he hired Jimmy, switzer and parcells...he maybe finally fed up and he gets it right...

sean10mm

Reaction score
I actually can kind of respect somebody just wanting to purge the QB depth chart every single year until you land a future Hall of Famer. It's a bold strategy, and at least it's honest. Just realize that this means going like 2-14 over and over until you luck into the next Staubach by sheer random chance or whatever.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Come on Greg you are better than this crap , I expect this from Erod , We have the most OVER RATED OL , RB and WR s great at coming up small or tapping out of the game in the most critical moments Dak is not perfect but he is not close to the top of the list in why we are failing .

I 100% agree with you its very difficult winning in this league

With a GM that wastes draft picks on drug addicts and has the money to hire the best in the business but continues to hire friends and family to do jobs they are not TALENTED ENOUGH TO DO

Top of the TO DO LIST is get a GM that takes his job seriously not an owner who plays with the GM job as his HOBBY .

Next acquire the best coaching staff money can buy that can reestablish a culture with pride and accountability .

Without doing these to essential things any ELITE talent drafted will be wasted . No ELITE TALENT QB is going to fix this mess singlehandedly and its short sighted to think they can

Dak dosent coach, catch the ball , play special teams , kick FGs or play defense all bigger concerns than his play . Expecting him to overcome all these deficits while working through injury is too much to expect even when OVERREACTING to a loss to the eagles .

Heck Dak threw a few of target balls after pain shots . He didnt even have a turnover . Geez it took us 10 missed FGs before we decided to change kickers. That cost us a couple games in its self

There is no QB in this league or on the planet that could come in here overcome all the dysfunction and win a Championship with this team in its current state

I like it when people defend by underwhelming assessment. Like "Dak threw "a few" balls off target"...with of course the pain med caveat. What about the clip I just replied to? Dak directing Jarwin...and still BARELY made his own play.

Yes...we have a lot of problems.....and to say Dak ISN'T one, and should not be assessed....is just as bad as the "haters" you criticize.

Dak wants paid like th every best QB in the NFL. Based on that clip above? I think not. And the VERY best QB's DO put the team on their shoulder. You act like Brady, Brees or Rodgers never performed miracles?

Let's try to keep it real....everyone on this team is fair game...top to bottom. It's all moot anyway, just to pass the time...not as if anything we say here changes anything.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Interesting because all of those quarterbacks with the exception of Doug Williams had strong to elite defenses. Who COULDN'T win a Super Bowl with an elite defense?

So are you saying we need to go and find an elite quarterback but an elite defense is out of the question?

:huh:

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Even if we had an elite QB what makes you think this coaching staff has the intelligence and the pedigree to coach a person like that?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Even if we had an elite QB what makes you think this coaching staff has the intelligence and the pedigree to coach a person like that?
Maybe not. But we had piss poor coaching this year too. And, surely, an elite quarterback could muster one or two touchdowns a game for us to have beaten the Saints, the Patriots and the Eagles. That's a 10-5 record and a definite playoff birth. Sorry, but it's inexcusable that Dak couldn't get us at least one touchdown in any of those games. One touchdowns in any/either of those games, and we're in the playoffs with a Commander win.