Video: All of Darren McFadden's 2014 rushes (All-22) [39:25]

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
The "strawman" routine must be a go-to argument for you and yet you have no concept of what it is. I responded directly to your statement, "You're going to hang your hat on that 2011 Rams game? That game was fools gold."

Talk about strawman. I never said Murray did it on his own but that line was made up by a bunch of scrubs. That's not really debateable witht he exception of a young Smith and Free who certainly improved but he was horrendous that season if I recall. But guys like you can't point to how bad the line was and how it took years to rebuild (under Garrett's direction) yet disregard any success RB's had behind that line or, greater yet, attribute Murray's success last year to the line and think we can plug and play a guy who has been pretty much a failure considering where he was picked and what the expectations were. I mean, the whole argument for some after reviewing the all-22 is just how bad Oakland's line was and how that was the cause of Mcfadden's failures. Murray had relative success behind a bad line but somehow the memo has changed to the OL made Murray. Make an argument.....I really don't care what it is. But be consistent.

Having a back like Murray changes a team's offensive philosophy, especially considering the team wanted to keep the D off the field and let Romo's back heal. I'm not so confident that the team can be as successful on offense, not that I would think any back or a combination of backs could do what Murray did. My biggest concern is how not having a steady lead back may affect the play calling and game management. For us to be successful, it's just my opinion that one of the RB's has step up and be the lead that teams need to respect and wear a D down.

Holland played well. Kosier played smart before he got hurt and couldn't play anymore. Costa for that Rams game played well. He was up and down as I pointed out. When he played well, Murray had big games. When he was getting beat up by Wilfork and the like not so much.

You seem intent on holding onto your anxiety over losing Murray and insist on talking about generalizations. If you want to talk about Murray's rookie year then fine. But you need to address abysmal running performances that year as well. He wasn't creating on his own against NE, SF, MIA and AZ that year. quite the contrary. It seems to me that he went as the OL went. Costa and Kosier got hurt in the second half of that season and their play suffered tremendously. Also let's not forget that Murray himself got hurt that year.

On a final note you don't get to decide what the coaches are thinking philosophically. We have heard Cowboys coaches and executives state unequivocally that they are committed to being a running team despite losing Murray. Further there are tons of examples of a committee approach winning playoff games. That is the bottom line.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Well...made it through the video.....My observations

That was brutal to watch. People worried about Murray resigning w/ us and being washed up because he took such a beating last year. Well let me tell you...that was nothing compared to the thrashing McFadden took in 2014.

Honestly....after watching that video I think Mcfadden took more punishment in 2014 than Murray did his whole career here in Dallas.

Just unreal.:omg:

Take about an unimaginitive game plan. After about the 3rd game it became pretty obvious what they were running.

-Draws out of the shot gun
-Counter tre (w/ guards that couldn't pull and get up to the 2nd level)
-A few toss sweeps
-occasionally you saw Mcfadden line up as the QB in the wildcat....always running

And that was it. It was a high school game plan.

I don't think I've ever witness a back run into more 8 and 9 men fronts....maybe ever. He had no where to run. So to break this down.....

Here is what I liked

Mcfadden didn't back down from contact
Only had 2 fumbles
Considering there was very little room to run he would find a crease and get the most he could.
Seemed he ran harder once he got into the redzone. Seems had a nose for the score.... Even though teams keyed on him.

Here is what I didn't like

Runs way too high.
Takes a lot of unnecessary punishment
Doesn't make anybody miss in the open field.
Runs to contact....
More often than not got tripped up by an arm tackle when he had a chance to break off a big run.....(which was seldom)
Didn't break any tackles
Wore down as the season progressed

With all that being said........I came away thinking this....

The only role I would want McFadden in..and can see him having some success here in Dallas is in the redzone.

People who think he is gonna blow up here and be the bell cow are mistaken. I think he could have a role here....but it's gonna be a supporting role.

Little Jr

Reaction score
We'll throw more than we did last year. Not much but something around 33 passes to 27 runs.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
We'll throw more than we did last year. Not much but something around 33 passes to 27 runs.

I'm not sold on that. The had right at 505 runs and passes both. The split was so close to 50% it seems obvious someone was counting. They have said they are just as committed to the run game as ever and are speaking with the same refrain as last year when Murray wasn't an all pro.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think they will have the same commitment to the run in the first couple of games as last season. IMO, that will have to fail before they abandon it.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not sold on that. The had right at 505 runs and passes both. The split was so close to 50% it seems obvious someone was counting. They have said they are just as committed to the run game as ever and are speaking with the same refrain as last year when Murray wasn't an all pro.

I don't recognize people when they change Avatars.

Is that Ken Bishop?

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
You're going to hang your hat on that 2011 Rams game?

That game was fools gold. First let's look at the starters: Smith Kosier Costa Holland Free Witten Marty B Fiammetta. Witten, Costa, Holland, and Smith had excellent games. They may have been scrubbish at various times after but not on that day. Free and particularly Kosier had not fallen off the cliff yet. Kosier had leg problems that had him out of the game of football but not yet. Quinn was a rookie and our rookie started his domination of him that day.

That was also the 32nd ranked run defense. They had not drafted Brockers nor the Beast from Pitt yet.

It was obvious watching it too because Murray could only score on long runs. The supposed power back wasn't able to power in in the red zone or in short yardage that day either. Romo was still checking out of runs on heavy boxes and Murray only ran into easier fronts.

And to add to that Fuzzy, if you take the Rams game out of the equation, Murray averages 4.6 yards that year. The same average he had last year with in what everyone is saying, a much better line. So shouldn't his average have been much higher?

Dodger12

Reaction score
Holland played well. Kosier played smart before he got hurt and couldn't play anymore. Costa for that Rams game played well. He was up and down as I pointed out. When he played well, Murray had big games. When he was getting beat up by Wilfork and the like not so much.

You seem intent on holding onto your anxiety over losing Murray and insist on talking about generalizations. If you want to talk about Murray's rookie year then fine. But you need to address abysmal running performances that year as well. He wasn't creating on his own against NE, SF, MIA and AZ that year. quite the contrary. It seems to me that he went as the OL went. Costa and Kosier got hurt in the second half of that season and their play suffered tremendously. Also let's not forget that Murray himself got hurt that year.

Of the games you mentioned, his carriers were as follows: NE (11 carries), SF (6 carries), Miami (22 for 87 w/ 41 yards receiving) and AZ (12 carries). Tough to "hold your own" with 6, 11 and 12 carries or whatever you were referring to. And, while you're at it, go study the film and see where we passed on 2nd and goal in some of those games or 2nd and short. You know, those times when folks like you were saying we didn't or couldn't run because we didn't have the line for it. Now you claim Murray only played well because the line played well....you know, that same line that had to get rebuilt and used as the crux for a mass of excuses.

And, BTW, Holland was brought back during the season after being cut in camp that year. Yes, that was a vaunted line.

On a final note you don't get to decide what the coaches are thinking philosophically. We have heard Cowboys coaches and executives state unequivocally that they are committed to being a running team despite losing Murray. Further there are tons of examples of a committee approach winning playoff games. That is the bottom line.

I get to have an opinion on what I think of the team and it's philosophical approach. You don't get to decide that for me either. And while you're on this RBBC approach which has become the new buzz phrase, please tell me the last time it led to the Cowboys winning playoff games or Superbowls. I'll wait. You see, we're all entitled to our own opinions but you nor I are not entitled to our own facts. That is the bottom line.

itsaboat

Reaction score
Didn't break any tackles

The only role I would want McFadden in..and can see him having some success here in Dallas is in the redzone.

People who think he is gonna blow up here and be the bell cow are mistaken. I think he could have a role here....but it's gonna be a supporting role.

13:51 and 14:06 are a couple of the plays I saw him break tackles

I think McFadden will excel playing behind Randle and could be the guy they put in on 3rd/4th and 1. I agree that he probably won't be a bell cow type but should play well as the primary backup and can step up if needed to start

I don't recognize people when they change Avatars.

Is that Ken Bishop?

Yes it is and it was much easier to spot him with that pink avatar

TX_Yid

Reaction score
I could only take 7 minutes. That was hideous. And not entirely different from seeing Murray run repeatedly into the back of his linemen, who had been stood up in front of him... Up until last year, that was very much what I remember our running game looking like, until we would abandon it and go "all" Romo.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Of the games you mentioned, his carriers were as follows: NE (11 carries), SF (6 carries), Miami (22 for 87 w/ 41 yards receiving) and AZ (12 carries). Tough to "hold your own" with 6, 11 and 12 carries or whatever you were referring to. And, while you're at it, go study the film and see where we passed on 2nd and goal in some of those games or 2nd and short. You know, those times when folks like you were saying we didn't or couldn't run because we didn't have the line for it. Now you claim Murray only played well because the line played well....you know, that same line that had to get rebuilt and used as the crux for a mass of excuses.

And, BTW, Holland was brought back during the season after being cut in camp that year. Yes, that was a vaunted line.

I get to have an opinion on what I think of the team and it's philosophical approach. You don't get to decide that for me either. And while you're on this RBBC approach which has become the new buzz phrase, please tell me the last time it led to the Cowboys winning playoff games or Superbowls. I'll wait. You see, we're all entitled to our own opinions but you nor I are not entitled to our own facts. That is the bottom line.

Holland was a heck of a lot better than Dockery, Kowalski, or Nagy. Garrett gave up on Murray and the run many many times that year.

What the team thinks and is doing is not an 'opinion.' The Cowboys get to think, speak, and act for themselves. In 6 months there will be proof one way or the other. You can believe whatever you like to be true in the interim. I see no reason to not believe Garrett, Linehan or the Joneses on the matter. Seems to be an institutional priority.

Little Jr

Reaction score

Yeah it was 29/31 pass run ratio. I think a lot of that had to do with Romo's health. Then it was working so well they stuck to plus Romo's back. Perfect storm. I'm not saying we're going to the run and shoot. Just see us passing a bit more than running this year. Still can be committed to the run.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yessir with Hayden looking on in the background.

He is now my #1 pet cat. Somebody had to replace JP.

Bishop was actually a top 3 pet cat in that draft before the Cowboys drafted him. He dominated those small college OLinemen like nothing I've ever seen.

I don't think they will cut ole Hayden, but I'm hoping Bishop gets more snaps.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And to add to that Fuzzy, if you take the Rams game out of the equation, Murray averages 4.6 yards that year. The same average he had last year with in what everyone is saying, a much better line. So shouldn't his average have been much higher?

He only had 7 starts. It just doesn't work to compare part time RBs ypc to RBs that carry the load for a full season.

Murray had a 5.4 ypc in the 1st 4 games of 2014.

He had a 5.2 ypc in the 1st 8 games of 2014.

He had a 4.7 ypc after 16 games.

Randle had a 6.7 ypc as the backup.

Dodger12

Reaction score
On a final note you don't get to decide what the coaches are thinking philosophically.

What the team thinks and is doing is not an 'opinion.' The Cowboys get to think, speak, and act for themselves.

This just cut to the core Fuzz. And here I thought all this time the team really listened to my opinions and made decisions based on what i thought was best for them. Are you telling me nothing of what we say here has any impact on the team's decision making? Please say it isn't so.......

Holland was a heck of a lot better than Dockery, Kowalski, or Nagy. Garrett gave up on Murray and the run many many times that year.

So was it a good line or wasn't it? Or was it only a good line when Murray had some success but when he didn't, he just couldn't "hold his own?" My original post in this thread was when someone claimed, after reviewing the all-22 of course, that Murray would have had the same results as DMAC behind Oakland's line. That completely negates the fact that Murray played behind some horrid lines manned by scrubs and still had some success. That same line that took multiple first round picks to rebuild. That same line that gives you and others the confidence that any back or a committee of backs could do what Murray did.

But I'll ask again, when was the last time Dallas won playoff games or a SB with a RBBC approach?

Dodger12

Reaction score

Not sure why Fuzzy liked the post because it only proves what I'm saying. Behind a bad OL, Murray still had a respectable average (minus the Rams game) on the team where the HC refused to committ to the run. In 7 years as a pro, DMAC has only had two seasons where he's avereaged better than 4.6 YPC which is something Murray did 3 out of his 4 years behind an OL that was so bad it needed 4 years and multiple first round picks to rebuild.