News: All Seven Rounds Of Dallas Cowboys 2016 Draft Board Rankings Possibly Revealed

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
After seeing the draft board, you can certainly see why Jerry wanted to make that trade up for Lynch. Once that didn't happen, the Smith selection makes a little more sense if you consider the top available players on their board at 34.

They wouldn't have taken Derrick Henry since they took Elliott in the 1st.

Fuller had injury issues. If you are going to take a player with injury issues, then you might as well take one with a 1st round grade (Smith) rather than a 2nd round grade.

Robinson and Reed were probably considered to be 1 techniques. The big free agent acquisition (Thornton) is a 1 technique. They likely didn't want to invest a high pick for a backup at a two-down position.

I don't think Smith was Plan A or Plan B for the pick at 34. He was just preferable to the other options on their board.

That's why I say in hindsight the trade for Lynch makes a lot of sense (we missed out on plan C and a promising 3 tech who can play some 1). I would have taken Myles if I was down to plan C esp w/Ro being Ro, etc. and his ability to help immediately both on D and to assist Romo. It's like Ogbah/Dodd went off the board and they panicked but the board showed Jack at 7 w/Jaylon @ 6. I would think the immediate help would have broken that tie, etc.

Last edited:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Like I said...the QB position is an exception. But the origin of my argument was missing on Connor Cook if they had a 2nd round grade on him. And the fallacy that it is OK to miss on Cook because we still have Romo. My goodness....Romo cannot play forever. And I have loved Romo. But name me another QB in the NFL...with his tenure..that has not won anything. All of the long term QBs with the same team in this league have played in a conference title game or Super Bowl. And that goes for every other player in the NFL as well except Witten. How many coaches in the NFL today have been with there same team as long or longer than Garrett. What is the difference between them and Garrett. Jerry is comfortable with these 3...and he is comfortable with himself as GM. And with the way he is piling up money...there is really no reason for him to be UNCOMFORTABLE!

You're confusing a team not winning 'anything' with a player not winning 'anything.' We've seen dozens of examples of Tony Romo putting a game on his shoulders late and coming up with the win. He's not going to overcome a -22 TO differential. Or a defense that has the fewest takeaways in the league the way ours did last season. Or one that sets franchise records for futility the way we did in 2012-2013. There's no great mystery as to why the teams in Dallas haven't been more successful, and it's got nothing to do with Tony Romo or Jason Witten.

Last edited:

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
You're confusing a team not winning 'anything' with a player not winning 'anything.' We've seen dozens of examples of Tony Romo putting a game on his shoulders late and coming up with the win. He's not going to overcome a -22 TO differential. Or a defense that has the fewest takeaways in the league the way ours did last season. Or on that sets franchise records for futility the way we did in 2012-2013. There's no great mystery as to why the teams in Dallas haven't been more successful, and it's got nothing to do with Tony Romo or Jason Witten.

Bad defensive drafting/Carr, rebuilding a top OL w 3 1st rd picks and maintaining a stagnant/dated passing scheme and ran lot more than any year recently prior in 2014 that had great success. Summarizes this team over pretty well the last 6 years or so;) Romo is a savvy vet, but not in his prime (age/injury wise).

Last edited:

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Cook may not be the answer but he might be....the point is we had him graded high enough to consider drafting him...he might be a perfect back-up for a couple years and that is enough value for a 3rd or 4th pick.....hopefully Dak can get ready this year because KMoore is useless...

But we need to start planning for the post-Romo era and that means drafting more QBs for a few years....you just don't find that many in FA so the draft and UDFA is the way to go....draft a bunch of them and see how they turn out....having too many good QBs is never a problem...

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bad defensive drafting/Carr, rebuilding a top OL and maintaining a stagnant/dated passing scheme summarize this team over the last 6 years or so;)

I agree with everything but the passing game scheme part. Our offense, on a points/series basis has been one of the more productive offenses in the league during that time. If the scheme's held us back, it hasn't hurt very much relative to everybody else.

The defense, however, has been mishandled and that always gets a pass around here. It was a mistake to hire Buddy Ryan's idiot son, though there were fairly slim pickings at DC that season and none of Garrett's connections were free, so I see why they took a chance. It was a mistake to bring in Kiffin, and I have no idea what they were thinking on that one (though I do think returning to a simplified 4-3 in light o of the new CBA made tactical sense, we wasted a season and a half with a second wrong coordinator running things. We missed on the Claiborne picks and were in bad position at CB with Jenkins and Newman leaving and had to overpay for a fairly average CB (Carr gets blasted around here because of his contract, but he's not a bad player overall. He just get paid a huge premium). Then we took a shot on Gregory that looks so far to have been a serious whiff. And a shot on Hardy and McClain (both of which were smart moves, but neither of which really landed for us). And now we've taken another shot on Jaylon Smith. We're just throwing haymakers at a problem that was perfectly solvable if we just sat tight and drafted smart and spent a little bit of money to keep players who fit the model.

It drives me crazy. And every offseason we sit around debating whether the problem is play calling or offensive scheme or the RB or Tony Romo. I wish I could reach through my computer and start punching people right in their stupid face. Collectively.

Not really, but it does confuse the **** out of me that we don't all agree what the major problem has been. It seems pretty evident if you just watch the games *or* look at the stats

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
I agree with everything but the passing game scheme part. Our offense, on a points/series basis has been one of the more productive offenses in the league during that time. If the scheme's held us back, it hasn't hurt very much relative to everybody else.

The defense, however, has been mishandled and that always gets a pass around here. It was a mistake to hire Buddy Ryan's idiot son, though there were fairly slim pickings at DC that season and none of Garrett's connections were free, so I see why they took a chance. It was a mistake to bring in Kiffin, and I have no idea what they were thinking on that one (though I do think returning to a simplified 4-3 in light o of the new CBA made tactical sense, we wasted a season and a half with a second wrong coordinator running things. We missed on the Claiborne picks and were in bad position at CB with Jenkins and Newman leaving and had to overpay for a fairly average CB (Carr gets blasted around here because of his contract, but he's not a bad player overall. He just get paid a huge premium). Then we took a shot on Gregory that looks so far to have been a serious whiff. And a shot on Hardy and McClain (both of which were smart moves, but neither of which really landed for us). And now we've taken another shot on Jaylon Smith. We're just throwing haymakers at a problem that was perfectly solvable if we just sat tight and drafted smart and spent a little bit of money to keep players who fit the model.

It drives me crazy. And every offseason we sit around debating whether the problem is play calling or offensive scheme or the RB or Tony Romo. I wish I could reach through my computer and start punching people right in their stupid face. Collectively.

Not really, but it does confuse the **** out of me that we don't all agree what the major problem has been. It seems pretty evident if you just watch the games *or* look at the stats

I hear ya, and know we disagree on the scheme, etc. It's frustrating.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hear ya, and know we disagree on the scheme, etc. It's frustrating.

Honestly, I don't really like our scheme very much, either. It's kind of boring, but it works well enough.

I just don't think it's what's been hurting us. Now, if we didn't have Romo, the scheme might be more of a problem, but we've got Romo.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
That's why I say in hindsight the trade for Lynch makes a lot of sense (we missed out on plan C and a promising 3 tech who can play some 1). I would have taken Myles if I was down to plan C esp w/Ro being Ro, etc. and his ability to help immediately both on D and to assist Romo. It's like Ogbah/Dodd went off the board and they panicked but the board showed Jack at 7 w/Jaylon @ 6. I would think the immediate help would have broken that tie, etc.
I found it interesting that in the position rankings it listed Myles Jack as an OLB while Jaylon Smith was listed as an ILB.

erod

Reaction score
That's the case for any rookie you draft. And if you had taken Ramsey, it's not like you are then dumping Scandrick. You are just adding to the pool of talent at a position that frankly lacks talent.

Last comment from me. I think we've dredged this out long enough.

Simply put, Ramsey is simply a corner/safety. Not a Deion Corner. Just a really solid defensive back for years to come. Nice, but hardly a franchise changer.

Elliott could impact EVERYTHING. He could knock 5 plays off a scoring drive because he can finish. That saves Romo. He does not fumble. That takes pressure off of everything and everybody. He's good at everything a back does. That gives this offense a freshness and versatility it hasn't had since Emmitt was here. He gives this team the ability to possess the ball like no other team. That helps the defense, the special teams, Scott Linehan, Rod Marinelli, etc.

To me, this was such an obvious pick, it's not even worthy of a debate.

Sydla

Reaction score

Simply put, Ramsey is simply a corner/safety. Not a Deion Corner. Just a really solid defensive back for years to come. Nice, but hardly a franchise changer.

Elliott could impact EVERYTHING. He could knock 5 plays off a scoring drive because he can finish. That saves Romo. He does not fumble. That takes pressure off of everything and everybody. He's good at everything a back does. That gives this offense a freshness and versatility it hasn't had since Emmitt was here. He gives this team the ability to possess the ball like no other team. That helps the defense, the special teams, Scott Linehan, Rod Marinelli, etc.

You overestimate a TB's impact, especially relative to where he was drafted.

You also refute another argument you've made that Elliott keeps the defense fresh because they don't play as much but now you are arguing Elliott can knock 5 plays off a scoring drive, meaning the defense would be on the field quicker.

You pro-Elliott guys just argue yourselves in circles.

erod

Reaction score
You overestimate a TB's impact, especially relative to where he was drafted.

You also refute another argument you've made that Elliott keeps the defense fresh because they don't play as much but now you are arguing Elliott can knock 5 plays off a scoring drive, meaning the defense would be on the field quicker.

You pro-Elliott guys just argue yourselves in circles.

He is Peterson or Lynch. That is a quarterback-like impact.

I'm OK with the defense being on the field quicker if I just scored 7 points.

Name a rookie corner or safety that dramatically impacted his team.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

Most draftniks around here don't like any draft strategy besides their own and that usually involves trading back several times in search of that 5th round magical unicorn that turns into a HoFer

Elliott was a great pick for this team....almost perfect

erod

Reaction score
Most draftniks around here don't like any draft strategy besides their own and that usually involves trading back several times in search of that 5th round magical unicorn that turns into a HoFer

Elliott was a great pick for this team....almost perfect

It's so obvious, it hurts.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
You're confusing a team not winning 'anything' with a player not winning 'anything.' We've seen dozens of examples of Tony Romo putting a game on his shoulders late and coming up with the win. He's not going to overcome a -22 TO differential. Or a defense that has the fewest takeaways in the league the way ours did last season. Or one that sets franchise records for futility the way we did in 2012-2013. There's no great mystery as to why the teams in Dallas haven't been more successful, and it's got nothing to do with Tony Romo or Jason Witten.

Like I said...I think Romo is a great player. But 2 wild card playoff wins in 10 season is laughable for a franchise of this pedigree. No other QB has survived this. But I do agree...QB gets special consideration. But for how long? No other position players in the NFL have survived this. No other GM has survived this. Why is this organization the only one with players/front office personnel that have survived this? It is not a mystery to me

We are not going to see eye to eye on this...and that is fine. But back to my original point. Romo cannot play forever. We have a 2nd round grade on Connor Cook. I think QB is a position of need on this team. Connor Cook lasted until the 4th round. So did we truly feel he was a 2nd round talent? Or do we want to kick the can of finding Romo's successor down the road AGAIN?

ghst187

Reaction score
I bet the missing name in the 3rd round was Sterling Shepard. He isn't anywhere in the first 4 rounds and he likely wasn't lower than that. Actually, the 3rd would be pretty low for him.

I agree, the third round sounds a bit high but considering we were picking so high it was like a low second. That would've been where I valued him also since he will never be a #1 WR but I knew someone would pick him higher than that like happened to Lockett last year. Really upset a rival got Shep, he's going to pain us for a long time.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I agree, the third round sounds a bit high but considering we were picking so high it was like a low second. That would've been where I valued him also since he will never be a #1 WR but I knew someone would pick him higher than that like happened to Lockett last year. Really upset a rival got Shep, he's going to pain us for a long time.

Man I loved Lockett last year. I wrote somewhere on here last year that I would have liked to get him in the second or third round, even though WR wasn't a big need.

The guy was dynamite IMO. I hated, hated, hated to see him go to Seattle. He just plays faster than the other guys on the field (much like O Beckham III).

Lockett is great on kick returns but he is a legit WR I think.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Once again, you're making pronouncements on these players as if it's based in reality.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Man I loved Lockett last year. I wrote somewhere on here last year that I would have liked to get him in the second or third round, even though WR wasn't a big need.

The guy was dynamite IMO. I hated, hated, hated to see him go to Seattle. He just plays faster than the other guys on the field (much like O Beckham III).

Lockett is great on kick returns but he is a legit WR I think.

Same thing I said. I watched this kid every game at K-St. I literally cried when the Seahags picked him. I even went to far as to say he was the most underrated player in that draft.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Same thing I said. I watched this kid every game at K-St. I literally cried when the Seahags picked him. I even went to far as to say he was the most underrated player in that draft.

I remember you liking him.

Damn shame he went to Seattle. I really wish we could have gotten him.

Oh well...

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

I felt the same way about Stephon Diggs from Maryland....knew he would be a steal

Hopefully Lucky takes the next big step