News: All Seven Rounds Of Dallas Cowboys 2016 Draft Board Rankings Possibly Revealed

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Obviously I wanted another one.

But to use your weirdo logic we already have a 1st round pick at rb... How many you want toting the rock?

Here's a better one. We used a 1st round pick on Tyron Smith. According to this 'logic', it was a mistake using another one on Travis Frederick. One compounded by using yet another 1st rounder on Zack Martin.

And La'el Collins? Complete overkill.

How many 1st round offensive linemen do you want?

:rolleyes:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In the last 5 drafts they have spent

2 - first round draft picks on the defense
3 - 2nd round draft picks on the defense
3 - 3rd round draft picks on the defense
6 - 4th round draft picks on the defense
1 - 5th round draft picks on the defense
3 - 6th round draft picks on the defense
7 - 7th round draft picks on the defense

25 picks on defense ..... 8 premium picks plus a very high talent DE in Hardy

In the last 5 years they have spent

3 - first round draft picks on the offense
1 - 2nd round draft picks on the offense
2 - 3rd round draft picks on the offense
1 - 4th round draft picks on the offense
3 - 5th round draft picks on the offense
3 - 6th round draft picks on the offense
2 - 7th round draft picks on the offense

15 picks on offense ...... 6 premium picks

And yet we continue to have one of the worst defenses in the league.

And what is the point you're trying to make with these numbers? I don't think there's any question that they hit on the offensive players, while the defensive players are either unknowns to varying degrees or outright misses. But if you miss, that means you have to try again to fill that need, not that you don't try again.

Sydla

Reaction score
In the last 5 drafts they have spent

2 - first round draft picks on the defense
3 - 2nd round draft picks on the defense
3 - 3rd round draft picks on the defense
6 - 4th round draft picks on the defense
1 - 5th round draft picks on the defense
3 - 6th round draft picks on the defense
7 - 7th round draft picks on the defense

25 picks on defense ..... 8 premium picks plus a very high talent DE in Hardy

In the last 5 years they have spent

3 - first round draft picks on the offense
1 - 2nd round draft picks on the offense
2 - 3rd round draft picks on the offense
1 - 4th round draft picks on the offense
3 - 5th round draft picks on the offense
3 - 6th round draft picks on the offense
2 - 7th round draft picks on the offense

15 picks on offense ...... 6 premium picks

And yet we continue to have one of the worst defenses in the league.

Because they tend to suck at drafting defense, and specifically, struggle in certain rounds of this draft - the 2nd and 3rd and 4th rounds - where they've used 12 picks in 5 years on defense.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Because they tend to suck at drafting defense

Or suck at developing the guys they draft.

Gregory has a lot of talent ...... yet this defensive coaching staff could not get him one sack.

Sydla

Reaction score
Or suck at developing the guys they draft.

Gregory hs a lot of talent ...... yet this defensive coaching staff could not get him one sack.

Gregory also got injured and now is suspended for drugs. So we really don't know if he's developed or not. Further, as has been shown, pass rushing DEs don't often have impacts as rookies, especially one in Gregory that was also considered a bit undersized for a DE as well.

But hey, if you want to delude yourself into thinking this defense is stacked with talent, specifically the secondary since this is what prompted this whole discussion, and it's simply a coaching issue, have at it.

erod

Reaction score
Seriously? Take a look at the respective secondaries of the past three Super Bowl champions and you'll find a top corner in each one of them.

What you won't find is a running back that cost a top 5 pick, or an offensive line with three first round picks on it.

Those corners were just part of very good defenses.

Running backs should never be taken in the top 5.....unless they are transcendent players. I think Elliott will be that. We'll see.

And other teams didn't let their offensive lines dilapidate into what Jerry let this one fall into. Remember when Doug Free was 10 times better than anyone else on the line?

erod

Reaction score
You talking about Marshawn Lynch?

Peterson's Vikings went 6-10 in 2006 and then in 2007, his rookie year, they only improved to 8-8 and failed to make the playoffs.

Lynch's Buffalo Bills went 7-9 in 2006 and then in Lynch's rookie year, they went 7-9 again.

And who quarterbacked those teams?

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
But hey, if you want to delude yourself into thinking this defense is stacked with talent, specifically the secondary since this is what prompted this whole discussion, and it's simply a coaching issue, have at it.

Thank you I will ...... if you want to delude yourself that this coaching staff is developing these players and they all just suck ..... then by all means carry on ........ Jerry loves sheep.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
He's coming of major knee surgery, hasn't played in a year and when he did play, he was a decent not great CB. And frankly, I think he was a better slot guy than an outside CB.
He was pretty good against ODB on the outside.

erod

Reaction score
It's just people who don't understand cause and effect in a football game. We didn't need a RB.

Besides, if he doesn't crush what McFadden or another talented rookie would have given us, what was the point? It's an incredibly high bar because he's standing on the back of a truly great OL. Now he needs to deliver. Use him up.

This team needs this running back. Tony Romo needs this running back. This offense HAS to hit more home runs to limit the shots on Romo and give this defense cushion.

I love a 20-yard run, but not when it could have gone the distance. Elliott is a combination of Demarco Murray and Lesean McCoy. He takes responsibility off of others.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
the problem with the cowboys on defense is talent and coaching they are trying to build a team through the draft when they cant draft well and the coaches they have are just average trying to develop them but when u draft players that cant play because they are injuried or bust it sets you back and when you go the cheap route in FA you don't you dont add much to your team either.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I love a 20-yard run, but not when it could have gone the distance. Elliott is a combination of Demarco Murray and Lesean McCoy. He takes responsibility off of others.

He better be, given what we gave up to get him.

erod

Reaction score
This is just horribly wrong.

So a transcendent RB comes along every year? Great corners aren't found late in the draft? (Sherman and Norman were, in fact, 5th rounders.) Rookie corners routinely make huge impacts on teams?

What part is horribly wrong about what I said?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Those corners were just part of very good defenses.

That's wishful thinking. Those corners were key reasons why those defenses were "very good".

Running backs should never be taken in the top 5.....unless they are transcendent players. I think Elliott will be that. We'll see.

I hope you're right. And given the overall investment, he'd better be.

And other teams didn't let their offensive lines dilapidate into what Jerry let this one fall into. Remember when Doug Free was 10 times better than anyone else on the line?

Even if that's true, it doesn't take an investment of three first round picks to correct it. This team's resources have been allocated completely differently from those Super Bowl winners, we can only hope that it can also be successful.

erod

Reaction score
He better be, given what we gave up to get him.

On that we all agree. This had better not be Blair Thomas or Cedric Benson or Curtis Enis or Ki-Jana Carter.

I don't think he is. This might sound crazy, but he looks like a tweener between Emmitt and Barry to me. Emmitt's short yardage ability and toughness, combined with Barry's home-run speed. Vision like both. He's built like both, only bigger.

At #4, he'd better be darn close.

Sydla

Reaction score
Thank you I will ...... if you want to delude yourself that this coaching staff is developing these players and they all just suck ..... then by all means carry on ........ Jerry loves sheep.

Well thanks for confirming that you struggle at reading comprehension if you actually believe I think this staff is good at developing players and the defense's problem is simply just talent.

erod

Reaction score
Even if that's true, it doesn't take an investment of three first round picks to correct it. This team's resources have been allocated completely differently from those Super Bowl winners, we can only hope that it can also be successful.

I've always believed that if you just continue to re-stock the offensive and defensive lines in every draft, it's impossible to have a horrible team.

Smith and Frederick are the key. Martin was a fallback when they didn't get Aaron Donald, Anthony Barr, or Ryan Shazier. Collins was a godsend.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
whether Elliot is a bust or not really don't matter because the gm wont be fired the coach might not the gm regardless of who they draft and how they turn out the GM is safe that's why you can draft a linebacker that wont play this year or maybe next they have drafted lots of players on defense there last two second round pick are going to be suspended for the first four games and a corner that they gave up lots to move up and get is just average and may never be back when there is no pressure on the GM because he knows the owner wont fire him you can do lots of things that hurt your team and take lots of risks.

erod

Reaction score
The DB for KC last year. Patrick Peterson, although largely due to his ridiculous punt returning. Hell, I'd put Roy Williams on such a list.

Not that it means anything but Lynch didn't exactly do anything worthy of a high pick investment as a rookie. Generally, most rookie RBs aren't massive impact players their first year. There are certainly a number of DBs who had great impact if you broadened it to the first 2, 3, or 4 years as you would have to in order to include Lynch in the discussion of an, "impact player".

One or the other is really only part of the equation. The next best alternative at the position you didn't use the pick on is the other half. Does Zeke give you so much more than the next best alternative (either through the draft or free agency) that passing on the DB is worth it? Who is currently the next best alternative at the DB position? Brandon Carr? Morris? The DB for KC last year had 8 INTs. That's 1 less than Carr and Claiborne have accumulated throughout their entire careers in Dallas. That's combined. If the DB was able to get 6 INTs, that's still more than these two have combined since 2013. If he got 4, it would be 4X as many as these guys have over the past 2 years.

I have little doubt that Elliot will produce. He's a stud. I question whether or not he'll produce to such an extent that the additional yards and TDs gained over the next best option will actually make as big of a difference as additional turnovers and good CB play would. There's obviously less risk with Elliot but it just doesn't seem like the net gain over the next best option is anywhere close to what it would be if Dallas would have taken a DB who played up to the pick.

I'm not upset with the pick but it's far from being as clear cut as saying, "Zeke is a sure thing", because even if that's true the team may not be gaining a significant amount relative to the next best alternative. If another RB could have given Dallas 80% of what Zeke can, the team would have probably been better off going with the DB. That extra 20% probably isn't going to swing many outcomes simply because the NFL is a passing league. Any boost to the running game will only go so far when the running game only accounts for 30% of a teams offense. That's what it was last year. Just under 31% for yardage and TDs.

No such thing as a sure thing.

I just want this offensive line to have its Dorsett or Emmitt. It could prolong Romo's career by two years.

Elliott is so versatile that he can impact a game in tons of ways. And he doesn't fumble. I can't tell you how much I love that about him. I hate fumblers.