News: All Seven Rounds Of Dallas Cowboys 2016 Draft Board Rankings Possibly Revealed

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
I don't like Cook mainly due to personality and accuracy. Just found it odd. He would be our backup assuredly this upcoming season, etc. but do see why they went Collins (who I like anyway). Jaylon pick is another story (didn't think it fit immediately in helping the D/Romo mainly). Lynch pick would have been supported too by his 1st rd grade (trading up but went w/no immediate help in the 2nd and Collins, etc).

Spilled milk tbh..like next year's class better as well (QBs). With Romo's age/inj history, it would've been nice to have our QB of the future that he could groom in the process and be our immediate upgrade as our back up QB this year. I would prefer Romo groom our next QB over JG/Wilson.

After Lynch, I don't think the Cowboys felt any of the other QB's were likely QB's of the future.

Sydla

Reaction score
Scandrick is mediocre at best?

He's coming of major knee surgery, hasn't played in a year and when he did play, he was a decent not great CB. And frankly, I think he was a better slot guy than an outside CB.

erod

Reaction score
He's coming of major knee surgery, hasn't played in a year and when he did play, he was a decent not great CB. And frankly, I think he was a better slot guy than an outside CB.

And Ramsey has never played a single down in the NFL, interception two whole passes in college, and teams don't know if he's a corner or safety in the NFL.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
After Lynch, I don't think the Cowboys felt any of the other QB's were likely QB's of the future.

Agree. I'm glad they didn't go for Cook but would have preferred to overpay for a backup QB in FA if we weren't going to take QB seriously in the draft as the #12 ranking for Lynch proved and that they deemed him worthy of a 1st rd grade. I think JJ should have gone for Lynch (yes, in hindsight) but even on draft day. There was some good talent in the 2nd we overlooked to take Jaylon/Collins. I don't see why that same "Jaylon logic" can't be applied to the most imp position on the field (Lynch, not Cook).

The FO went dumpster diving in FA (outside of Thornton) and resigned Ro immediately; no look into FA into a more reliable option? We didn't look for mid tier corners to replace Carr and somehow got duped into a pay-cut @ 8M for 0 picks in 2 years, go after a backup QB w/any aggression, etc. We asked for it by putting ourselves in this position to begin with come draft day. Which makes me ? the Jaylon pick even more tbh...

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
And Ramsey has never played a single down in the NFL, interception two whole passes in college, and teams don't know if he's a corner or safety in the NFL.

That's the case for any rookie you draft. And if you had taken Ramsey, it's not like you are then dumping Scandrick. You are just adding to the pool of talent at a position that frankly lacks talent.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't agree with that thought process. We DID need a backup QB. Romo will NOT play for 10 more year. Romo should NOT play for more than 3 years if he has NOT won. That is THE problem in Dallas. There is not another QB in the ENTIRE NFL that has been afforded the longevity that Romo has....without competing for a SB. Any other QB you can think of in the NFL with his longevity has played in a conference title game or SB. In fact...the ONLY other player with this amount of longevity is Witten. They are/have been great players. So they are not the biggest problem. But there is enough evidence to confirm they are NOT the solution. Teams move on from ALL time greats all the time. That is the NFL. This trio of Garret/Romo/Witten would get 2 more years if I were in charge. Heck...while I am at it...no other GM would get 20 years of not competing for a SB and keep his job. But like I have always said....there is ZERO incentive for Jones to make changes...the value of his investment has kept going up and it is now the #1 franchise in the world in terms of monetary value.

It's crazy to me to realize there's even ONE Cowboys fan who actually feels this way.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
It's crazy to me to realize there's even ONE Cowboys fan who actually feels this way.

Feel what way? That Garret/Romo/Witten have had LONG ENOUGH. If that thought is crazy to you...then this is why Dallas has become the richest franchise in all of sports. Because winning no long matters and it is no longer the barometer. Romo has been a great QB. Witten has been a great TE. Plenty of teams have had great players...but in the successful organizations...if you are not part of the solution..you are part of the problem. The QB position gets more rope...so I understand giving him a few more years. One of the first things Bill Parcells did when he got to Dallas...was address the Emmit Smith "issue". Emmit is a HOFer...3 time SB champ. But Parcells did not envision him as part of the solution going forward. The people we have running the show in Dallas right now are wedded to accumulating as much money first and foremost....and winning secondary. Which is why the status quo suffices. And Jerry is laughing all the way to the bank.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Feel what way? That Garret/Romo/Witten have had LONG ENOUGH. If that thought is crazy to you...then this is why Dallas has become the richest franchise in all of sports. Because winning no long matters and it is no longer the barometer. Romo has been a great QB. Witten has been a great TE. Plenty of teams have had great players...but in the successful organizations...if you are not part of the solution..you are part of the problem. The QB position gets more rope...so I understand giving him a few more years. One of the first things Bill Parcells did when he got to Dallas...was address the Emmit Smith "issue". Emmit is a HOFer...3 time SB champ. But Parcells did not envision him as part of the solution going forward. The people we have running the show in Dallas right now are wedded to accumulating as much money first and foremost....and winning secondary. Which is why the status quo suffices. And Jerry is laughing all the way to the bank.

Building a team is a complicated multivariate equation. You don't start be eliminating the variables that work just because they've been around a long time. You address the variables that don't work.

In Parcels' case, Emmitt was a variable that was no longer working, and letting him go proved to be the right decision. That's nowhere near close to being the case with Tony Romo.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
Agree. I'm glad they didn't go for Cook but would have preferred to overpay for a backup QB in FA if we weren't going to take QB seriously in the draft as the #12 ranking for Lynch proved and that they deemed him worthy of a 1st rd grade. I think JJ should have gone for Lynch (yes, in hindsight) but even on draft day. There was some good talent in the 2nd we overlooked to take Jaylon/Collins. I don't see why that same "Jaylon logic" can't be applied to the most imp position on the field (Lynch, not Cook).

The FO went dumpster diving in FA (outside of Thornton) and resigned Ro immediately; no look into FA into a more reliable option? We didn't look for mid tier corners to replace Carr and somehow got duped into a pay-cut @ 8M for 0 picks in 2 years, go after a backup QB w/any aggression, etc. We asked for it by putting ourselves in this position to begin with come draft day. Which makes me ? the Jaylon pick even more tbh...

After seeing the draft board, you can certainly see why Jerry wanted to make that trade up for Lynch. Once that didn't happen, the Smith selection makes a little more sense if you consider the top available players on their board at 34.

They wouldn't have taken Derrick Henry since they took Elliott in the 1st.

Fuller had injury issues. If you are going to take a player with injury issues, then you might as well take one with a 1st round grade (Smith) rather than a 2nd round grade.

Robinson and Reed were probably considered to be 1 techniques. The big free agent acquisition (Thornton) is a 1 technique. They likely didn't want to invest a high pick for a backup at a two-down position.

I don't think Smith was Plan A or Plan B for the pick at 34. He was just preferable to the other options on their board.

Sydla

Reaction score
if they had a 2nd round grade on him...why not? Is Cook being drafted in the 3rd round an issue for you?

Cook being drafted at all would have been an issue for me.

He's overrated. You don't magically become an accurate passer in the pros when you couldn't even crack 60% in college playing in a pro style offense.

Sydla

Reaction score

So what is your solution?

Cut Romo? Trade him? Then what is your QB solution? Please don't tell me Connor Cook would have been your solution.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Building a team is a complicated multivariate equation. You don't start be eliminating the variables that work just because they've been around a long time. You address the variables that don't work.

In Parcels' case, Emmitt was a variable that was no longer working, and letting him go proved to be the right decision. That's nowhere near close to being the case with Tony Romo.

Like I said...the QB position is an exception. But the origin of my argument was missing on Connor Cook if they had a 2nd round grade on him. And the fallacy that it is OK to miss on Cook because we still have Romo. My goodness....Romo cannot play forever. And I have loved Romo. But name me another QB in the NFL...with his tenure..that has not won anything. All of the long term QBs with the same team in this league have played in a conference title game or Super Bowl. And that goes for every other player in the NFL as well except Witten. How many coaches in the NFL today have been with there same team as long or longer than Garrett. What is the difference between them and Garrett. Jerry is comfortable with these 3...and he is comfortable with himself as GM. And with the way he is piling up money...there is really no reason for him to be UNCOMFORTABLE!

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Cook being drafted at all would have been an issue for me.

He's overrated. You don't magically become an accurate passer in the pros when you couldn't even crack 60% in college playing in a pro style offense.

The Cowboys had a 2nd round grade on him. Should that count for something?

Sydla

Reaction score
The Cowboys had a 2nd round grade on him. Should that count for something?

The Cowboys then missed the boat on that one.

Plus, their track record with 2nd round picks is all over the map. So at this point, them having a 2nd round grade on a guy who couldn't complete 60% of his passes in college and wasn't particularly athletic to make up for that deficiency, doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
So what is your solution?

Cut Romo? Trade him? Then what is your QB solution? Please don't tell me Connor Cook would have been your solution.

I mean...I like Romo...but we are not talking about Joe Montanna here. We are not talking about Tom Brady here. We have not won ANYTHING with this guy. And this situation in Dallas is not Romo's fault. But it wasn't Demarcus Ware fault either. I can name you a ton of players from a ton of teams...that team's eventually move on from. We saw what life was like without Romo last year...which is why you have fear. But if we have that much fear about life without a guy who has never won anything..my goodness.....the problem in Dallas has not been identified!

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
The Cowboys then missed the boat on that one.

Plus, their track record with 2nd round picks is all over the map. So at this point, them having a 2nd round grade on a guy who couldn't complete 60% of his passes in college and wasn't particularly athletic to make up for that deficiency, doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies.

So does this team need to go 0-16 so it can have the #1 overall pick..for you to feel that is out best chance at replacing Romo? And if Romo is not the problem (and I am not saying he is)...what are the chances we go 0-16. We almost pulled it off last year....Romo just waited to late into the season to get hurt. But we almost did it. And you can go back through my thread history last year...when I predicted we would not win a game without Romo...because I knew Romo going down would expose a lot of people in this organization.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
if they had a 2nd round grade on him...why not? Is Cook being drafted in the 3rd round an issue for you?

Only if you're drafting him with the expectation that he's Romo's replacement. With a low 2nd round grade, I don't think the Cowboys view him that way.

Sydla

Reaction score
I mean...I like Romo...but we are not talking about Joe Montanna here. We are not talking about Tom Brady here. We have not won ANYTHING with this guy. And this situation in Dallas is not Romo's fault. But it wasn't Demarcus Ware fault either. I can name you a ton of players from a ton of teams...that team's eventually move on from. We saw what life was like without Romo last year...which is why you have fear. But if we have that much fear about life without a guy who has never won anything..my goodness.....the problem in Dallas has not been identified!

You didn't answer the question.

Sydla

Reaction score
So does this team need to go 0-16 so it can have the #1 overall pick..for you to feel that is out best chance at replacing Romo? And if Romo is not the problem (and I am not saying he is)...what are the chances we go 0-16. We almost pulled it off last year....Romo just waited to late into the season to get hurt. But we almost did it. And you can go back through my thread history last year...when I predicted we would not win a game without Romo...because I knew Romo going down would expose a lot of people in this organization.

No but I do tend to agree that your chances of finding your great QB are greater taking one high in the first round.

Connor Cook wasn't the solution and if the Cowboys thought that, I have to wonder what they were looking at.