News: All Seven Rounds Of Dallas Cowboys 2016 Draft Board Rankings Possibly Revealed

Sydla

Reaction score
My point is/was, without a great supporting cast, the impact these players bring is minimal. The way the rules are now, its almost impossible to cover a WR and make plays without pressure from the front 7.

Maybe but at some point you have to start addressing defensive problems. The notion that we should just continue to use high picks on offensive players will somehow overcome the defensive shortcomings we have is a mistake IMO. And this belief that Elliott is the missing piece to a SB run in 2016 is misguided IMO.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
In the same year...yes it is. Of course.

so half of that is still not nearly enough....either way JSmith will end up being a huge win for DAL...this redshirt will also be invaluable towards his transition when healthy.....he will know the team, the defense and his teammates, something most rookies don't get

DFWJC

Reaction score
so half of that is still not nearly enough....either way JSmith will end up being a huge win for DAL...this redshirt will also be invaluable towards his transition when healthy.....he will know the team, the defense and his teammates, something most rookies don't get

If JSmith ends up being what they think he is, then it was a home run

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
Interesting is that an owner with more resources available than any other owner does not have this on a master database and just sit and reference it with two or three click come draft day.

sbark

Reaction score
that just cannot be the official draft board.......Goff ranked behind Wentz?........we were told and told Goff was their top ranked QB.......

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Interesting is that an owner with more resources available than any other owner does not have this on a master database and just sit and reference it with two or three click come draft day.
I am sure they do but they have boards that everyone can look at and discuss, this one was some type of hand written work board. The new facility I believe will have state of the art digital boards.

erod

Reaction score
Maybe but at some point you have to start addressing defensive problems. The notion that we should just continue to use high picks on offensive players will somehow overcome the defensive shortcomings we have is a mistake IMO. And this belief that Elliott is the missing piece to a SB run in 2016 is misguided IMO.

Byron Jones
Demarcus Lawrence
Randy Gregory
Benson Mayowa
Cedric Thornton
Charles Tapper
Maliek Collins
Jaylon Smith

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
I am sure they do but they have boards that everyone can look at and discuss, this one was some type of hand written work board. The new facility I believe will have state of the art digital boards.
I am little surprised that this doesn't already exist. It seems like it would be relatively easy for some tech company to make something like this.

slick325

Reaction score
But, but we aren't addressing the defense at all!

Of course that narrative would not exist had we drafted Jalen Ramsey.

Or something.

Agree 100% Alexander. Those stating Dallas hasn't addressed or attempted to address the defense are misguided. Since 2012 the Cowboys have spent premium draft picks (I define those picks as 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks) on defense each year. These players are "supposed" to be cornerstones to a good defense.

2012: Mo Claiborne (1st round)
T. Crawford (3rd round)

2013: J.J. Wilcox (3rd round)

2014: D. Lawrence (2nd round)

2015: B. Jones (1st round)
R. Gregory (2nd round)

2016: J. Smith (2nd round)
M. Collins (3rd round)

That doesn't include free agent signings brought in on the defensive side of the ball (B. Carr in 2012; R. McClain in 2014; G. Hardy in 2015; C. Thornton and B. Mayowa in 2016). Whether the scouts or personnel people were right on these guys or if the coaches got the most out of these guys or if the guys got the most out of themselves is a different subject. The Cowboys have placed premium resources into the defense. Some were major gambles that still may payoff. We'll see. But to say that the front office is not addressing it at all is hyperbole at its best!!!

Next offseason I would love to see Dallas draft a QB, DE and DB in the premium rounds. Then repeat with DE, LB, DT and/or DB in 2018. Its a process!!! LOL!

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
I guess no one will mention that this board is saying the Giants got an outright steal with Paul Perkins.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
We really needed to find a way to get Connor Cook. We had a 2nd round grade on him....and he went in the 4th. That hurts.

And doesn't explain the Collins pick at all (I like Collins), but not vibing.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
And doesn't explain the Collins pick at all (I like Collins), but not vibing.

After taking a player in round 2 (Smith) not expected to contribute this year, they probably weren't going to take another once in round 3 (Cook). If Romo plays the entire year, Cook won't contribute. Collins would at least be expected to be in the DL rotation this year.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
I guess no one will mention that this board is saying the Giants got an outright steal with Paul Perkins.

One of the downsides of taking Elliot in round 1 was that the Cowboys weren't able to take advantage of the good value at RB in those middle rounds.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
After taking a player in round 2 (Smith) not expected to contribute this year, they probably weren't going to take another once in round 3 (Cook). If Romo plays the entire year, Cook won't contribute. Collins would at least be expected to be in the DL rotation this year.

I don't like Cook mainly due to personality and accuracy. Just found it odd. He would be our backup assuredly this upcoming season, etc. but do see why they went Collins (who I like anyway). Jaylon pick is another story (didn't think it fit immediately in helping the D/Romo mainly). Lynch pick would have been supported too by his 1st rd grade (trading up but went w/no immediate help in the 2nd and Collins, etc).

Spilled milk tbh..like next year's class better as well (QBs). With Romo's age/inj history, it would've been nice to have our QB of the future that he could groom in the process and be our immediate upgrade as our back up QB this year. I would prefer Romo groom our next QB over JG/Wilson.

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
Byron Jones
Demarcus Lawrence
Randy Gregory
Benson Mayowa
Cedric Thornton
Charles Tapper
Maliek Collins
Jaylon Smith

First of all, LOL at throwing Mayowa on that list. They guy is a total project that Oakland wouldn't match. So let's not act like he's some big time signing. Tapper was a 4th round pick, whom I like, but nevertheless a 4th round pick. Smith is a guy who I love but also realize there's a decent chance he never is the player projected given his gruesome injury.

And what about the secondary, arguably the biggest weakness of the team? Jones is one guy. The other three are mediocre at best and two of them, maybe three, won't be here in a year or two.

And I didn't say we don't draft defensive players. I said we haven't fixed our defensive problems. Right now, we have a lot of defensive problems and it's not a given they've been fixed, especially in the secondary. And the pass rush right now is a total question mark as well.

erod

Reaction score
First of all, LOL at throwing Mayowa on that list. They guy is a total project that Oakland wouldn't match. So let's not act like he's some big time signing. Tapper was a 4th round pick, whom I like, but nevertheless a 4th round pick. Smith is a guy who I love but also realize there's a decent chance he never is the player projected given his gruesome injury.

And what about the secondary, arguably the biggest weakness of the team? Jones is one guy. The other three are mediocre at best and two of them, maybe three, won't be here in a year or two.

And I didn't say we don't draft defensive players. I said we haven't fixed our defensive problems. Right now, we have a lot of defensive problems and it's not a given they've been fixed, especially in the secondary. And the pass rush right now is a total question mark as well.

Scandrick is mediocre at best?

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score

I don't agree with that thought process. We DID need a backup QB. Romo will NOT play for 10 more year. Romo should NOT play for more than 3 years if he has NOT won. That is THE problem in Dallas. There is not another QB in the ENTIRE NFL that has been afforded the longevity that Romo has....without competing for a SB. Any other QB you can think of in the NFL with his longevity has played in a conference title game or SB. In fact...the ONLY other player with this amount of longevity is Witten. They are/have been great players. So they are not the biggest problem. But there is enough evidence to confirm they are NOT the solution. Teams move on from ALL time greats all the time. That is the NFL. This trio of Garret/Romo/Witten would get 2 more years if I were in charge. Heck...while I am at it...no other GM would get 20 years of not competing for a SB and keep his job. But like I have always said....there is ZERO incentive for Jones to make changes...the value of his investment has kept going up and it is now the #1 franchise in the world in terms of monetary value.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
I don't agree with that thought process. We DID need a backup QB. Romo will NOT play for 10 more year. Romo should NOT play for more than 3 years if he has NOT won. That is THE problem in Dallas. There is not another QB in the ENTIRE NFL that has been afforded the longevity that Romo has....without competing for a SB. Any other QB you can think of in the NFL with his longevity has played in a conference title game or SB. In fact...the ONLY other player with this amount of longevity is Witten. They are/have been great players. So they are not the biggest problem. But there is enough evidence to confirm they are NOT the solution. Teams move on from ALL time greats all the time. That is the NFL. This trio of Garret/Romo/Witten would get 2 more years if I were in charge. Heck...while I am at it...no other GM would get 20 years of not competing for a SB and keep his job. But like I have always said....there is ZERO incentive for Jones to make changes...the value of his investment has kept going up and it is now the #1 franchise in the world in terms of monetary value.

So you would have taken Cook in the 3rd round as Romo's heir apparent?

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
I also look at it another way in terms of monetary value and resulting financial implications.

By taking Elliott at #4, you've instantly made him the 10th highest paid RB in the league at a position where it's been historically demonstrated time-after-time that you can get production from lesser pedigreed players on cheaper contracts. [Yes, I know, "but Elliott's elite!" Well, that's yet to be proven.]

Ramsey's contract makes him the just 46th or 48th highest paid DB in the league. We all know quality DBs (even middling ones) get paid "retail" in free agency because they are in such high demand. That effectively makes Ramsey a steal on his rookie contract.

Add to the fact, the Cowboys are going to be in a conundrum after this season with Mo and Carr being available to come off the books again in free agency. Church will likely be another year closer to getting cut (if not this training camp).

I thought it really would have come down to Ramsey/trade down for Joseph to give the secondary the help it needs w the lack of pass rushers mid first (if we traded down and Lawrence/Crawford/Thornton already on the team) but turns out Floyd would have been the target either way.

Great point about the value in comparing RB contracts to CBs across the league. I take the Lynch trade in that scenario as well. #1/2 (Ramsey or even Elliott) and #12 (Lynch) on your board for your first 3 picks? Sounds fair to me tbh. Yet we restructured Carr to keep that 8M worth of "adequate" play and still had the cap room to make it a non issue (on a normal team anyway, etc.).

Last edited: