News: All Seven Rounds Of Dallas Cowboys 2016 Draft Board Rankings Possibly Revealed

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I love Zeke and am fine with getting him.

But I keep hearing people say that he was deemed a truly elite prospect and the best since AP.
That is not true.
According to most scout services, he was a very strong 1st round back....

Here are a few players rated ahead of him by Scouts Inc in the last few years

98--Peterson
98--McFadden

97--Richardson
96--Mendenhall
95--Stewart
95--Spiller
94--Moreno

93--Elliott
93--Wells

If you're a pro-Elliott supporter, you're going to keep parroting "elite" as if it's an undeniable fact.

DFWJC

Reaction score
He is like trading our 34th for a top 5 pick next year......with a slim chance of him helping this year.....I love the picks

In draft trade circles, that is about an exact equal trade . Nothing special and nothing bad. Drop one round down to sacrifice a full season.

But one more note...Dallas only had 16 players deemed 1st round worth, so the 5th player on their board may have been valued more like a top 10 pick vs top 5...splitting hairs, I know.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
In draft trade circles, that is about an exact equal trade . Nothing special and nothing bad. Drop one round down to sacrifice a full season.

But one more note...Dallas only had 16 players deemed 1st round worth, so the 5th player on their board may have been valued more like a top 10 pick vs top 5...splitting hairs, I know.

I don't know what draft chart you are using, but every GM in football would trade 34 for a top 5 pick next year....top 5 values are thru the roof

DFWJC

Reaction score
I don't know what draft chart you are using, but every GM in football would trade 34 for a top 5 pick next year....top 5 values are thru the roof

Just go look at old trades.
Plus, as I said, just because he's the 5th ranked prospect on a board of 16 1st round worthy players does not at all mean he is a top 5 player. My guess is that list started value wise at the 3rd or 4th pick and then you begin skipping a few slots here and there. For example, the last guy on the list was probably deemed a late 1st rounder and not 16th overall.

Anyway, I agree that if he was literally a top 5 player in 2017, this years 34th pick may not quite be enough...it would be very close though based on historical trades.
Usually add a round for every year. 34 was the 3rd player in round 2 this year.

Not worth arguing though, so I'll step aside.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
I could totally see this being something they do on purpose, yes. However you feel about how detrimental it might be, it gets people talking about the Cowboys again, for sure.

But then I also thought they staged the whole 'hitting the LCD board in the preseason' thing for the PR. And the Johnny Manziel draft thing for PR. Jerry loves that stuff--for the betterment of the brand if maybe to the occasional detriment of the team.
I must have missed you talking about the LCD board thing when it was a hot topic. I can see that being the case too. Jerry likes to do things big.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
It irks me even more that Myles Jack was graded right behind Jaylon Smith. We should have taken him and not wasted one more year of Romo and Witten's window.

The doctor gets a say on the medical guys and he felt more comfortable with Smith since he did the surgery.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Just go look at old trades.
Plus, as I said, just because he's the 5th ranked prospect on a board of 16 1st round worthy players does not at all mean he is a top 5 player. My guess is that list started value wise at the 3rd or 4th pick and then you begin skipping a few slots here and there. For example, the last guy on the list was probably deemed a late 1st rounder and not 16th overall.

Anyway, I agree that if he was literally a top 5 player in 2017, this years 34th pick may not quite be enough...it would be very close though based on historical trades.
Usually add a round for every year. 34 was the 3rd player in round 2 this year.

Not worth arguing though, so I'll step aside.

A lot of scouts said JSmith could be the top pick if healthy, so top 5 is pretty conservative

You can't look at this historically because teams don't know a pick will be top 5 next year...but a top 5 pick is 3-5x more valuable than the 34th pick

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I must have missed you talking about the LCD board thing when it was a hot topic. I can see that being the case too. Jerry likes to do things big.

He and Fisher were friends from--what was it, the competition committee? And FIsher's the guy who'll go in for a stunt every now and then, too. Got 3-4 days of ESPN coverage for booting the bottom of the board in a preseason game where kickers generally directionally kick anyway and don't usually put up lollipops. I think it was probably intentional.

I'd said the same thing re: Manziel, too. Right after the draft Tony came out and said he wasn't worried about them taking a QB since he knew going in that they weren't interested. That whole Jerry-being-Jerry story was just free press based off of his reputation. Not that he doesn't deserve that reputation.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
UPDATE: The tweet/picture at the above account is now unavailable, below is the picture we worked from. Maybe this is confirmation that the board was in fact correct.

:muttley:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
UPDATE: The tweet/picture at the above account is now unavailable, below is the picture we worked from. Maybe this is confirmation that the board was in fact correct.

:muttley:

Well, there goes my theory that they do this stuff on purpose sometimes. :)

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
IF...big if...this was the final board and not just one version...

Looks like they went off board a few times:

• Kendall Fuller (CB) and Conner Cook were available and rated higher than Maleik Collins when they took him. Assume if they took V Butler is the 2nd then one of them would be the 3rd rd pick. So DT had priority.
  • Ronald Blair (DE), Jordan Howard, and Devonte Booker were available and rated higher than Charles Tapper when they took him. Blair would be the surprise pass, as the others were RBs.
  • Jeff Driscoll (QB) was available and rated higher than Dak Prescott when they took him.
  • Anthony Brown and Kavon Frazier appear to be a huge steals by their board.
  • also, just an observation....if they had not taken Elliott and Smith 1-2, then it would have been Ramsey and Henry. And if they had decided to wait even later for RB, they would have gotten great value with several backs according to their board.

A lot of this doesn't make sense. It was reported they were set to take Emmanuel Ogbah w/ our 2nd rounder...but Cleveland messed up that plan.

So...had he been available...Was the plan to take him over Jaylon Smith that we had rated higher?

This just goes to show...our scouting departments opinions are worthless...because Jerry/Stephen are going to do whatever they want. Must be so frustrating as a scout to put in as much time as they do...only to have it thrown out the window on draft day.

Still can't believe they had Cook rated as a 2nd rounder:lmao:

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
So, Ramsey was the missing ingredient? LOL

No but clearly the team thought Ramsey is a piece to building a defense, based on them having him ranked #2 on their board. A piece on the one area of the team that is and will continue to hold the team back from winning a SB.

If you want to delude yourself into thinking it's just as simple as fixing the running game (as if it were in total disarray and beyond repair) and the sky is the limit with this team, have at it.

erod

Reaction score
No but clearly the team thought Ramsey is a piece to building a defense, based on them having him ranked #2 on their board. A piece on the one area of the team that is and will continue to hold the team back from winning a SB.

If you want to delude yourself into thinking it's just as simple as fixing the running game (as if it were in total disarray and beyond repair) and the sky is the limit with this team, have at it.

Zeke will prove to be far greater than Murray. Dallas can be better than the 2014 team with him. That team could have won it all.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I doubt that the gap was so massive given the fact the Cowboys did admit they were entertaining offers for that pick but decided against it due to some low ball offers.

If you have a guy that is rated so far ahead of everyone in the draft to the point he's a generational talent, you don't even contemplate trading the pick. But it seems from most indications if the Cowboys had gotten a fair offer from say Baltimore, they'd have moved that pick.

Maybe they didn't get enough to move from it. Doesn't hurt to listen to offers, doesn't mean you don't want the player or you have to trade

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I had heard their top 4 were very bunched together. The top two sounded like a coin flip with the scouts having Ramsey and the coaches wanting Zeke.

It's all speculation though either way I have no problem sticking to the board.......that's what it's for

DFWJC

Reaction score
A lot of scouts said JSmith could be the top pick if healthy, so top 5 is pretty conservative

You can't look at this historically because teams don't know a pick will be top 5 next year...but a top 5 pick is 3-5x more valuable than the 34th pick

In the same year...yes it is. Of course.