News: All Seven Rounds Of Dallas Cowboys 2016 Draft Board Rankings Possibly Revealed

Sydla

Reaction score
Zeke will prove to be far greater than Murray. Dallas can be better than the 2014 team with him. That team could have won it all.

So in other words, you've deluded yourself into thinking Elliott is the missing piece from being a SB champ.

LOL. Got it.

erod

Reaction score
So in other words, you've deluded yourself into thinking Elliott is the missing piece from being a SB champ.

LOL. Got it.

As a singular piece, he's vastly more impactful than anyone else in this draft. Yes.

A corner would have had minimal immediate impact. That would have been part of a 3-4 draft process to create a great defense. Romo, Dez, and Witten don't have 3-4 years to wait.

Sydla

Reaction score
As a singular piece, he's vastly more impactful than anyone else in this draft. Yes.

A corner would have had minimal immediate impact. That would have been part of a 3-4 draft process to create a great defense. Romo, Dez, and Witten don't have 3-4 years to wait.

The notion that it would take a defensive back 3-4 years to have an impact is more craziness from you. Marcus Peters was a Pro Bowl defensive back as a rookie, for example. So saying that you can't take any defensive players high in the draft because it takes years to make an impact is just silliness, plain and simple.

erod

Reaction score
The notion that it would take a defensive back 3-4 years to have an impact is more craziness from you. Marcus Peters was a Pro Bowl defensive back as a rookie, for example. So saying that you can't take any defensive players high in the draft because it takes years to make an impact is just silliness, plain and simple.

And Peters is so awesome, the Chiefs' defense barely changed at all. They went from really good to really good plus a corner.

Denver just won a Super Bowl with pathetic offense and a great defense. Dallas has a chance with a great offense and a lacking defense.

However, Dallas' offense isn't great with just McFadden. It can be with Zeke.

Sydla

Reaction score
And if Romo and Bryant are healthy, the Dallas offense won't change all that much from the 2014 where they ran a 3rd round TB to one of the league's best rushing attacks.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score

If the team wanted to improve the defense immediately, they should've done it in free agency. And its funny you bring up Marcus Peters, yet fail
to bring up all the other good players on that Chiefs defense like Poe, Houston, Hali, and Berry.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
we took a player with the 6th pick in the draft a DB and he still hasn't made a impact on the defense so yes taking a db high is not a sure thing to make a impact.

Sydla

Reaction score
If the team wanted to improve the defense immediately, they should've done it in free agency. And its funny you bring up Marcus Peters, yet fail
to bring up all the other good players on that Chiefs defense like Poe, Houston, Hali, and Berry.

Follow along with the conversation. I am not giving Peters credit for their defense or downplaying the notion that they have other good players. Just refuting the point that it apparently takes years for a defensive back to be a contributor on defense.

But let's look at it another way. Given the talent on the Chiefs D already, Peters' 8 interceptions probably had a minimal impact overall.

But now think about how much better our defense last year would have been or would be this year, if we could pencil in an 8 interception season from our CB.

No, I am not saying that Ramsey is that guy for sure. Just pointing out that this belief that a rookie defender could have no impact on our team is just bizarre.

Sydla

Reaction score
we took a player with the 6th pick in the draft a DB and he still hasn't made a impact on the defense so yes taking a db high is not a sure thing to make a impact.

The most idiotic way to draft is to build your draft strategy around your failures. Meaning if you take a player in the Top 10 and he busts, you shouldn't take a player at that position in the Top 10 ever again.

LOL.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Follow along with the conversation. I am not giving Peters credit for their defense or downplaying the notion that they have other good players. Just refuting the point that it apparently takes years for a defensive back to be a contributor on defense.

But let's look at it another way. Given the talent on the Chiefs D already, Peters' 8 interceptions probably had a minimal impact overall.

But now think about how much better our defense last year would have been or would be this year, if we could pencil in an 8 interception season from our CB.

No, I am not saying that Ramsey is that guy for sure. Just pointing out that this belief that a rookie defender could have no impact on our team is just bizarre.

I am pretty sure you a smart enough to understand that corners' production comes from the pass rush and front 7. Peters wouldnt have 8 interceptions if he came here, not with this weak front 7 we have.

How much impact did Byron Jones have on this defense last year?

How much impact did Morris Claiborne have his rookie year?

Jalen Ramsey would be no different.

erod

Reaction score
And if Romo and Bryant are healthy, the Dallas offense won't change all that much from the 2014 where they ran a 3rd round TB to one of the league's best rushing attacks.

That same tailback couldn't finish runs and gave up the goose in Green Bay.

Zeke doesn't fumble, and he has none of Murray's limitations.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I also look at it another way in terms of monetary value and resulting financial implications.

By taking Elliott at #4, you've instantly made him the 10th highest paid RB in the league at a position where it's been historically demonstrated time-after-time that you can get production from lesser pedigreed players on cheaper contracts. [Yes, I know, "but Elliott's elite!" Well, that's yet to be proven.]

Ramsey's contract makes him the just 46th or 48th highest paid DB in the league. We all know quality DBs (even middling ones) get paid "retail" in free agency because they are in such high demand. That effectively makes Ramsey a steal on his rookie contract.

Add to the fact, the Cowboys are going to be in a conundrum after this season with Mo and Carr being available to come off the books again in free agency. Church will likely be another year closer to getting cut (if not this training camp).

erod

Reaction score
The most idiotic way to draft is to build your draft strategy around your failures. Meaning if you take a player in the Top 10 and he busts, you shouldn't take a player at that position in the Top 10 ever again.

LOL.

No, the most idiotic way to draft is by need. You take the best damn football player on the board at #4. In fact, you do that for three rounds before you start filling holes. Need drafters always end up drafting in the top 10 every year.

Sydla

Reaction score
I am pretty sure you a smart enough to understand that corners' production comes from the pass rush and front 7. Peters wouldnt have 8 interceptions if he came here, not with this weak front 7 we have.

How much impact did Byron Jones have on this defense last year?

How much impact did Morris Claiborne have his rookie year?

Jalen Ramsey would be no different.

Actually I think a corner's production isn't all tied to the pass rush. A good CB is a good CB regardless of the pass rush. Certainly a pass rush helps even great CBs but great CBs can still make plays without a dominant pass rush. Peters is a great CB. Jones isn't in the class of Peters who likely would have been a Top 5 pick if he didn't have a troubled off the field history. Claiborne appears to be a bust. It happens.

To say Ramsey would be the same as Claiborne simply because the Cowboys drafted Claiborne and ergo they are the same player is pretty funny.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I also look at it another way in terms of monetary value and resulting financial implications.

By taking Elliott at #4, you've instantly made him the 10th highest paid RB in the league at a position where it's been historically demonstrated time-after-time that you can get production from lesser pedigreed players on cheaper contracts. [Yes, I know, "but Elliott's elite!" Well, that's yet to be proven.]

Ramsey's contract makes him the just 46th or 48th highest paid DB in the league. We all know quality DBs (even middling ones) get paid "retail" in free agency because they are in such high demand. That effectively makes Ramsey a steal on his rookie contract.

Add to the fact, the Cowboys are going to be in a conundrum after this season with Mo and Carr being available to come off the books again in free agency. Church will likely be another year closer to getting cut (if not this training camp).
That is actually why I did not think they would go this route, but they did. Because if you think the RB is "special" you make an exception to the rule. Cowboys think this guy is special.

Sydla

Reaction score
No, the most idiotic way to draft is by need. You take the best damn football player on the board at #4. In fact, you do that for three rounds before you start filling holes. Need drafters always end up drafting in the top 10 every year.

Except you really wouldn't have been drafting strictly for need if you took Ramsey at #4, considering he was the #2 guy on their board as evidenced by the pic in this thread AND the fact that there was some internal disagreements between coaches and scouts and the front office on whether or not to take Ramsey or Elliott.

So let's not act like Elliott was #1 on their board and Ramsey was #25.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Actually I think a corner's production isn't all tied to the pass rush. A good CB is a good CB regardless of the pass rush. Certainly a pass rush helps even great CBs but great CBs can still make plays without a dominant pass rush. Peters is a great CB. Jones isn't in the class of Peters who likely would have been a Top 5 pick if he didn't have a troubled off the field history. Claiborne appears to be a bust. It happens.

To say Ramsey would be the same as Claiborne simply because the Cowboys drafted Claiborne and ergo they are the same player is pretty funny.
My point is/was, without a great supporting cast, the impact these players bring is minimal. The way the rules are now, its almost impossible to cover a WR and make plays without pressure from the front 7.

Sydla

Reaction score
And for the record, I don't think Elliott is a bad player. I don't think he's going to bust. In fact, I think he'll do quite well behind this OL.

I just still believe that with this OL and the way salary structures for certain positions work as well as injury risks, etc. the smarter move would have been using free agency or the middle rounds to address the TB position and using the higher pick either in a trade or for defense.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
That is actually why I did not think they would go this route, but they did. Because if you think the RB is "special" you make an exception to the rule. Cowboys think this guy is special.

I'm not even against taking Elliott. I just think there was a strong reasonable basis for taking Ramsey over him that some folks gloss over.