Am I the only one excited about a rebuild and high draft picks?

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They still have to make the right decisions in order to rebuild. Will they?
Just a good makeover is all they need...
giphy.gif

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I think after years of gluing together a roster just to compete in the Garrett era, I'm all for a rebuild. Keep Dak (unless Trevor Lawrence really becomes an option), keep Lamb, keep Martin, keep a few other cogs and recent picks. Otherwise? Let's start fresh. Get what you can for overpaid players, do your best to get the contracts off your payroll.

Now, this is what I "think" the roster needs. After years of just scratching by and terrible contracts, I think this is what the roster needs.
Now will this franchise do it, and will they do it right? That's a whole different story! :huh:

And by the way? I'm totally okay if Dallas trades Zeke. Love Zeke, but by the time this team fixes this roster? He'll be toast. He's already showing signs of it.

Here's what is so terribly wrong with those that want to make wholesale changes to the roster. Based on what you said and having a 55 man roster you're implying to rid the roster of somewhere around 40 players or even just 20 players and if the Cowboys did that there wouldn't even be enough cap space to pay for the draft picks let alone Prescott. Ya the non guaranteed salary parts of the contracts would be gone but ALL of the bonus money still is counted against the Cowboys cap as dead money. Teams agonize when they want to release just one or two players and what it will do to their cap, but to do the wholesale changes like you want to do is impossible. Not to mention that there is only 7 picks to replace players which isn't enough so where will the rest of the players come from to fill the roster remembering there would be no cap space to sign them. So after your plan just how many decades will it take to field a legit team?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here's what is so terribly wrong with those that want to make wholesale changes to the roster. Based on what you said and having a 55 man roster you're implying to rid the roster of somewhere around 40 players or even just 20 players and if the Cowboys did that there wouldn't even be enough cap space to pay for the draft picks let alone Prescott. Ya the non guaranteed salary parts of the contracts would be gone but ALL of the bonus money still is counted against the Cowboys cap as dead money. Teams agonize when they want to release just one or two players and what it will do to their cap, but to do the wholesale changes like you want to do is impossible. Not to mention that there is only 7 picks to replace players which isn't enough so where will the rest of the players come from to fill the roster remembering there would be no cap space to sign them. So after your plan just how many decades will it take to field a legit team?
They could replace the bottom 20 players with draft picks and UDFAs and gain cap space in the process...

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
They could replace the bottom 20 players with draft picks and UDFAs and gain cap space in the process...

Besides needing a calculator to add up all the bonus money that gets added to dead money and then we can all jump for joy by next year having 7 draft picks and a bunch of UDFA. Gee would that team win more than this team with all that "talent" with ZERO NFL experience. I get it you're planning out your fantasy football team. Ya every real GM wants to add 20 players with ZERO NFL experience. I guess you belong to that secret club that NFL GM's share their secrets to building winning teams. It's be such a secret plan that none of them actually use it for fear that those outside that club will catch on to that idea.

Section446

Reaction score
I've been begging for it for a couple of years... we need a fresh start.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I see so many Cowboys fans upset about this season. But with all the injuries, it’s a lost season. And with COVID, it’s the perfect time to rebuild. We’ve got a lot of good young talent still. Identify the young ones we want to keep, try to trade older vets for draft picks, and get a stud with a top 5 pick.

If all the guys we want to keep come back healthy next year, we still have a good squad. And we’ve cut the fat and added lots of good draft picks.

This could be a blessing in disguise. Cowboys needed a true makeover.
Dear Cosa Nostra lad!
It will take 4 years to rebuid the defence!! By that time, our vaunted offence will have morphed into has beens,
You so disappoint me, lad,
Silencio!

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I'd be excited if I knew things would actually change. But until Jerry fires himself as GM, I don't really consider it a rebuild.
Me carnivorous lad, if I had a quid every time I read that, Id be a pensioner!

garyv

Reaction score
I see so many Cowboys fans upset about this season. But with all the injuries, it’s a lost season. And with COVID, it’s the perfect time to rebuild. We’ve got a lot of good young talent still. Identify the young ones we want to keep, try to trade older vets for draft picks, and get a stud with a top 5 pick.

If all the guys we want to keep come back healthy next year, we still have a good squad. And we’ve cut the fat and added lots of good draft picks.

This could be a blessing in disguise. Cowboys needed a true makeover.

I'm excited this is my reason. I like having a team with lots more players in rookie deals than I do older players in high price contracts. My reason I'm a believer you have to churn your roster. The younger players in a 3 to 4 year contract tend to play harder because they are trying to win that next contract many times when players get that second contract they quit producing at a higher level. I would be very selective based on talent, attitude, aggressiveness and their hustle on who got that next contract and who don't. I will tell you this if I owned a team my scouting department would be of the up most importance to me because every year I'm expecting my first three picks to be starters and the ability to push guys off the roster that are coming up for a second contract. I honestly know I could run a team this way there is no doubt. But saying this here is the one constant with me if a player had injuries in College I would not touch. Currently there are two players on this team that at the time we drafted I did not want too. These two are Jaylon Smith and Vander Esch.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Besides needing a calculator to add up all the bonus money that gets added to dead money and then we can all jump for joy by next year having 7 draft picks and a bunch of UDFA. Gee would that team win more than this team with all that "talent" with ZERO NFL experience. I get it you're planning out your fantasy football team. Ya every real GM wants to add 20 players with ZERO NFL experience. I guess you belong to that secret club that NFL GM's share their secrets to building winning teams. It's be such a secret plan that none of them actually use it for fear that those outside that club will catch on to that idea.
You are changing the context of your quote that I replied to.

Bonus money is what creates dead money. It does not get "added" together.

There are less than 10 player that create significant dead money if cut/traded.

kskboys

Reaction score

If your team isn't good, 20 young talented players is much preferable. Why wouldn't it be?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
You are changing the context of your quote that I replied to.

Bonus money is what creates dead money. It does not get "added" together.

There are less than 10 player that create significant dead money if cut/traded.

Sometimes I really wonder what goes through your mind and your lack of comprehending things. Here exactly what I said. "add up all the bonus money that gets added to dead money" and even though that is pretty self explanatory, I'll explain it for you. If you add the bonus money from player 1 and then that of player 2 and do this for all of the players that get released and you take that amount you added up and that amount is ADDED to the dead money on your cap.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Tyron "annually " Mr. Big Hurt needs to be traded. Again, hanging onto declining players is not the answer.
lol at this garbage post.

Fans cry about him not getting surgery the last couple of years but then would complain if he did ("uhh why is he having surgery during our window to win, back in my day players would tough it out").

Dude finally has surgery in literally the perfect scenario (beginning of the year in a wash season) and now he's "Mr Hurt" and needs to be traded

I swear this fanbase is a joke

Tussinman

Reaction score
I'd have to disagree.

I would agree it's a good time to tank or lose since the ticket and concession money is down anyway, so it's not much skin off your nose to throw a bad product on the field this year. But the draft is a whole other kettle of fish.

Given how much the college football season has been thrown out of whack, the scouting process and the draft this year might be way more dicey than in a normal year.

Scouts can't travel as freely. Fewer games are being played, so way more guys than normal will get drafted or snubbed based on nothing better than, like, 16-month old out-of-date film.

And the film they do have from 2020 will be influenced by the bizarre offseason, which saw tons of college athletes left to figure out their dietary situation and their workout situation for themselves. Or, if they had coaches trying to keep in touch and instruct them how to proceed, you're still relying on a bunch of dummies in the 18-22 male demographic to make good food choices and to work just as hard without an authority figure over their shoulder. So there are guys whose 2020 film will look artificially worse because the guy's bad offseason seeped into the regular season and made him play worse. And there will be guys whose highlight reel from 2020 will include chunks of footage where they were just feasting on some out-of-shape, poorly prepared kid whose body and game was shot to hell in the offseason.

The 2021 draft class is gonna be bizarre, I think.

And that's all just looking purely at the football and workout and scouting logistics. Who knows how many of the kids got the virus and lingering damage to their lungs/heart causes issues the teams just aren't used to seeing from world-class athletes in their twenties. NFL teams' medical staffs are full of people who are making a career of looking at relatively healthy twenty-somethings in world-class shape. Ankles and knees and shoulders and concussions and the normal football injuries are easy for them. But does the team have a great pulmonologist and cardiologist on staff? There will be guys in the draft class who are ticking time bombs and they'll be retiring early with heart issues. There will be guys whose lung capacity just isn't where it should be anymore thanks to this, and they'll wash out quick with people thinking they just look a bit slow or tired or lazy, not realizing it's because of their lungs keeping them from being able to be the athlete they used to be just a couple years ago.
To add to this you also have to factor in salary cap possibly decreasing which will also effect the rebuild.

Cleaning ship and starting new is cool but you can't get 5 or 6 new starters a year via draft only. Your going to have to sign some mid tier players which will be a greater challenge if the cap does in fact go down

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
If your team isn't good, 20 young talented players is much preferable. Why wouldn't it be?

Most of the really big problems are on defense and there have been former players and coaches that have questioned Nolan's decision to install a very complicated convoluted defense that has the players fit his defense instead of a defense that fits his players without any off seasons programs and preseason games. So would I rather have players with experience and have played and know the speed of the NFL game over players that have not taken a single snap in the NFL and all 32 teams passed on drafting those players making them UDFA. Yes every few years a UDFA comes along that is really good like Romo but to expect that all the UDFA a team signs is better than and are going to be productive players in their rookie season is nothing but wishful thinking and that's what it would take if the Cowboys released as many players as what I replied to the user that suggested that. And it's not just doing this with the UDFA but every draft pick has to hit the field running including the 5th, 6th and 7th round picks. Answer a question for me. How many teams after the final cut has kept all of their draft picks and all of the UDFA they signed before camp truly believing those players are better than the players that have NFL experience? Yes the are a couple of needs along the offensive line but the same thing applies to them too.

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
Haven't we been rebuilding for about 20 years? We just get lucky and have a good season now and then.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Step one for any true rebuild in Dallas starts with the owner recognizing he’s the biggest problem. Step two is changing that circumstance. Or even in another scenario, Step one is Jerry accepts that he has a talent starved roster and admits it.

Neither of those two “rebuild” Step one scenarios have happened yet. If Jerry still thinks this is a “playoff roster” (which he has publicly stated he does) the so called “rebuild” won’t even happen.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sometimes I really wonder what goes through your mind and your lack of comprehending things. Here exactly what I said. "add up all the bonus money that gets added to dead money" and even though that is pretty self explanatory, I'll explain it for you. If you add the bonus money from player 1 and then that of player 2 and do this for all of the players that get released and you take that amount you added up and that amount is ADDED to the dead money on your cap.

That seems like a stretch that you would have said all of that if you meant "add up all the dead money from cutting those players".

Regardless of what you meant...

Cutting all players in 2021 except the top 20 contracts would add a grand total of 2.1M to the Cowboys total dead-money.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
That seems like a stretch that you would have said all of that if you meant "add up all the dead money from cutting those players".

Regardless of what you meant...

Cutting all players in 2021 except the top 20 contracts would add a grand total of 2.1M to the Cowboys total dead-money.

Like I said, everyone else would have known since we were talking about the released players and adding up all the bonus money it was the bonus money of the released players and now you're getting all pissy because that had to be explained to you.

Gee with only the first 6 players after the top 20 it comes to 6.4mil that would be added to the dead money on the cap. I think you need a new calculator or learn how to use one. You proved that you have very limited comprehension skills so don't bother to reply because I'll just ignore it.