Am I wrong about Hurts?

kramskoi

Reaction score
He’s gonna get hurt. All running QBs do.
Eventually...yes. Moreover, running the ball 17 times per game, in addition to the hits on passing downs are certainly going to add up. Just like Justin Fields and Kyler Murray. The first time a significant lower leg injury happens will change EVERYTHING. Sooner or later you have to learn how to be a pocket passer or you just won't last long in this league. Jackson, Murray, Allen, Fields, Hurts, Jones and other hero-ball artists will sooner or later be brought to heel. The NFL ain't college.

kramskoi

Reaction score
I've never trashed on Hurts like he wasn't capable.

Fact is he can and is thriving in the right offense.

That said I don't believe he is enough of a passer to succeed long term. Defenses tend to catch up to running qbs. Lamar Jackson is the exception. Hurts may be able to join him in that list, but it's a long road. Hurts isn't built like the type of qb I would imagine sustains this run. He will eventually be broken. Coordinators will scheme around him.

Jackson is a 4.3 athlete, Hurts isn't in his company. It's a matter of time, and I still believe Philly is about to drop some games.

If they beat the Titans, I'll shut my mouth on that forecast.
If you spend so much time on designed runs for your quarterback it probably means that you have little time left to do the normal things that offenses must do to succeed on a consistent basis. Spy him...zone him...keep the edges. Basically all the things that Green Bay didn't do...not that their defense looked particularly fast on the night.

Reactions: CWR

kramskoi

Reaction score
You guys are just jealous he's not our QB. I would take Jalen in a heart beat over Dak. More upside potential, better accuracy, better runner, and more professional.
Games like the Colts make you wonder. If Indy had any sort of potent offense (with a QB not name Matt Ryan) they would've beat the brakes off the Eagles. Hurts is better than he was last year for sure but the questions surround what he can do if the running lanes aren't there and the team falls behind by multiple possessions. Their luck ran out against Washington. It should've happened again vs. the Colts.

Sooner or later you have to become a reader. When it happens that he sustains a significant lower leg injury everything is going to change.

McCarthyMustGo

Reaction score
He’s a shiny too. Tebow. He couldnt pass against us and used his legs and the runnings to score. He’s literally at the same level as a passer.
He runs exceptionally well in a league where you can't touch the QBS. He throws well to big targets. This is enough in today's modern game.

Plankton

Reaction score
Wasn’t anywhere near 48%. Like I don’t think you understand how bad that is man, Hurts was 61%.

Not saying he’s the truth but there will never be a full time starting QB as bad as Tebow. Never.

At least for this year.....

giphy.gif

Swagger

Reaction score
Games like the Colts make you wonder. If Indy had any sort of potent offense (with a QB not name Matt Ryan) they would've beat the brakes off the Eagles. Hurts is better than he was last year for sure but the questions surround what he can do if the running lanes aren't there and the team falls behind by multiple possessions. Their luck ran out against Washington. It should've happened again vs. the Colts.

Sooner or later you have to become a reader. When it happens that he sustains a significant lower leg injury everything is going to change.
Individual mistakes cost them against Washington - aside from taking an avoidable sack late on, Hurts was again very good. AJ Brown had a very well thrown long pass taken from his grasp turning the ball over and another receiver caught a long pass from Hurts that would have set them up for 1st and goal within 10 yards but again the receiver coughed up the ball. They also didn't get a facemask call on Goddard which also turned the ball over.

I'm not sold on the Eagles' defense but they have a nice offense. Hurts has been very impressive this season.

kramskoi

Reaction score
Individual mistakes cost them against Washington - aside from taking an avoidable sack late on, Hurts was again very good. AJ Brown had a very well thrown long pass taken from his grasp turning the ball over and another receiver caught a long pass from Hurts that would have set them up for 1st and goal within 10 yards but again the receiver coughed up the ball. They also didn't get a facemask call on Goddard which also turned the ball over.

I'm not sold on the Eagles' defense but they have a nice offense. Hurts has been very impressive this season.
I agree. Brown is the guy I most worry about. They TOO are worried about their defense, as the signings of Suh and Joseph showed. Didn't seem to help them so much against Indy or Green Bay...where I was certainly surprised to seem them surrender 33 points.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
He’s a shiny too. Tebow. He couldnt pass against us and used his legs and the runnings to score. He’s literally at the same level as a passer.

Dumb take.

Just using your eyes....anyone can see how Tebow would shot-put the football. He just doesn't look like a natural "thrower"

Hurts is a legit thrower, and has great ability to read defenses. He's prolly a 15 to 17ish type QB if you outlawed QB runs and they could only throw. But as a dual threat, he's having MVP type season.

Dak too, never would have been drafted, if QB runs were illegal.

Star Guard_31

Reaction score
Jalen Hurts is very much a short term threat but I question his staying power. He's like a pitcher whose changeup is effective because he has a devastating fastball. Once the fastball loses velocity teams will stop respecting the changeup.

Right now teams have to respect his ability to run the ball which opens up things in the passing game. He was never blessed with Vick, RGIII, or Jackson type speed so he has less athleticism he can afford to lose. Once he loses the ability to out-athlete LBs his passing windows are going to get a lot smaller.

Even Carson Wentz became less effective once injuries started to nickel and dime his ability to roll out of the pocket and and he was never as dynamic as Hurts. It will be more drastic of a drop off once Hurts 4.6 speed turns into 4.7 and eventually 4.8.

I'll give the man credit for incrementally improving his passing game since he lost his job to Tua but it hasn't improved enough that he can function purely as a pocket passer without using his legs at all.

Hurts is a major problem for the next 2-3 years and then he'll be Ryan Tannehill. I predict his candle will burn bright but fast.

plasticman

Reaction score
Jalen Hurts is the third highest rated passer in the league.

He is tied for 2nd in average yards per attempt, He has the 2nd lowest INT rate this season, just behind Tom Brady. He is a top ten in every other category that you use to measure NFL quarterbacks and if you measure QB's by their team's record then he is #1.

Let's not fool ourselves, this guy is dangerous and I haven't mentioned the most dangerous part. Only Justin Fields and Lamar Jackson has run for more yards. However, neither has scored as often as Jalen Hurts. He has 8 rushing TD's to go with his 17 passing TD's. Only Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes have scored more combined TD's.

Jalen Hurts is exactly the kind of quarterback that can, not only neutralize the Cowboys pass rush, but he can also embarrass them. If the Cowboys defensive line doesn't stay in their lanes and play disciplined football, Jalen Hurts will run all over them.

The one attribute that a defense must have to compete with the Eagles offense is speed and the Cowboys do have that. They will defeat the Eagles so long as they stay away from turnovers and severely limit penalties.

bonafidebanter

Reaction score
I don't get Cowboys fans disrespecting the eagles and acting like they are not a legit threat.
Their front office had a much better offseason than ours ( surprise ) and that's the difference.
Thanks Jerry.
Cognitive dissonance is a real thing with some of our fans. The people that are down playing Hurts' ability to throw the ball is funny. AFTER having over 100 yards rushing in the first quarter, other Cowboys fans that I was watching the GB game with kept saying that "he can't throw". I kept answering them with the same statement. If he can't throw, how does he have more PASSING YARDS than Aaron Rogers? I don't know if you guys remember when Cam Newton took an offense with 2 UDFA tackles, no name WRs and average running backs to the Super Bowl in '15. He carried that offense to one of the best records in NFL history at 15-1. Cam had 3800 yards with 35 passing TDs on 60% completion rate and rushed for close to 650 yards and another 10 TDs. He was named the league MVP. I'm not saying Hurts will win the MVP (he's in the conversation), but you don't have to be the best "passer" to win as a QB in this league. A lot of us don't realize how much pressure a mobile QB puts on a defense. Just because you don't like his "style" of play, you have to admit that is effective. They have the best record in the league because of him. I can't wait to see how we defend him on Christmas Eve.

bonafidebanter

Reaction score
Incorrect. Jalen Hurts might not be the most polished passer, but he's lightyears better than Tim Tebow. He was a top 5 QB recruit at Alabama, and flashed solid passing ability there but still had some rawness. OU Hurts was a lot more accurate. In the pros he's at least as good of a passer as Lamar Jackson or Dak imo and has about 75% of Lamar Jackson's legs. Combined that's a top 5 QB.

You have got to get away from the notion that a QB is a big tall guy with a rocket arm. Having less sheen as a passer but speed and escapability with your legs is just another way to skin the cat.
**THIS**
The media has everyone fooled that you have to be the "prototype" QB. 6'5", 240lbs PP with a little mobility. Rushing yards count for QBs too! "But he ONLY had 150 yards passing!". Right, but he also added another 150 yards rushing. Over 300 yards of total offense is over 300 yards of total offense. This guy is killing it right now and they have the best record in the league because of him.

P.S. Josh Allen leads his team in rushing. Does anyone complain about him running too much?

DZSierra

Reaction score
Jalen Hurts is the third highest rated passer in the league.

Someone here quoted Bill Parcells that you're only as good as your record. To some extent, there are more intangibles IMO on how good of a QB you are vs your team record and your QB rating (Zach Wilson comes to mind), but it seems Hurts is doing well on all fronts for his team and himself.

I remember watching him play for Alabama and I honestly thought he got the short end of the stick at that program for what he accomplished. He then proceeded to tear it up at Oklahoma.

No one knows what the future holds for any young NFL player, but when you look at his progression, I'm sorry, you can't help but respect the man. He's a better NFL QB than he was last year, that's for certain.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Dude is 10-1 this year.

This place would be going nuts if the Cowboys had that record and people were running down their QB.

To paraphrase Bill Parcells, "You are what your record says you are."

Until the Cowboys or someone else eliminates them from Superbowl contention, he's good enough.
Dak was 11-1 and folks killed him constantly..... The same ones do it now

DCwarrior

Reaction score
He needs his clock cleaned a couple of times to remind him this isn’t college football.