Amari Cooper - All time Cowboys MVP?

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
I know he won’t win league MVP especially with only half a season here but I don’t know a player in Cowboys history who almost single handidly saved a season propelling them from an almost certain collapse into divisional champ and potential Super Bowl contender.

Yes, Roger in 1971 propelled us but that was a defending NFC champion team.

In 1992 Haley was a huge trade but that was a playoff team on the way up.

Even in 1993 when Emmitt missed the first two games of the season that was still the defending champs. I certainly don’t believe that team would have gone 0-16 without Emmitt.

And in 1995 with Deion. Again that was a championship caliber team that needed a little boost. I still think that team could have won it without Sanders.

But this situation with Coooer is unlike any I can recall in Cowboys history.

We were on the cusp of a major collapse . We already were predicting Linehan wouldn’t survive the next game and Garrett finally was all but gone at the end of the season if he could even survive it.

This team was spirally down faster than we’d seen since 1-7 in 2010. Most were saying we wouldn’t win another game. I’m not even sure if Dak had much hope for a new contract if we finished 3-13. Until Jerry pulled the trigger for the most successful trade in Cowboys history. Yea, I said it.
well mid year sure, but mvp can be for someone there from day one

Cowboys couldnt get over the hump for 5 years from 72-76 and Dorsett cam and they made the next 2 SB's winning the first

Ozone22

Reaction score
The title was used to bring in readers. A ploy I learned from Erod. Lol

But basically a thread to tout what a great move bringing Amari in was . And how he’s saved the season. I seriously can’t think of another situation like this in Cowboys history. Which makes him a unique MVP in Cowboys history.

See, I agree with what you said here...

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You just said:

Then you said:

How do those two statements go hand in hand? There are no totals to go by, so there is no comparison on that. Dak hasn't been in enough 4th quarters. Basically is what you are saying,but calling him a better performer in the 4th?

There is a stat to showcase that. Post what Romo did his first 3 years or his last 3 years and compare it to Dak. How is that difficult?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I like Cooper and think he's a great player, but the success the offense is having since he's been on the team shows how poor the talent level was before he got here, IMO.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
If we miraculously win the super bowl and he wins mvp then talk bout how great of a cowboy he is. We still have games to play. Let’s get it amari

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Using your eyeball test or instincts you felt at that point we were going to win the division and be the SB contender we are today ?

Do you have any post from that timeframe to support this claim?

Well I don't know if we are a Super Bowl contender NOW. So I definitely didn't feel that at 3-4.

But in this 5 game win streak.....we've beaten the Saints, Commanders, Eagles(twice) and the Falcons. Falcons, Eagirls and Commanders all stink. Good wins. Don't get me wrong those were some very good wins especially on the road. But they were bad teams. We have a defense. Saints game....may be we don't win with Cooper. IMO, that game was more so about our defense but even giving you that......we were a 3-4 team and we were of the same caliber of those teams we beat. So yeah.....do I think we could've went 3-2 or 4-1 in that stretch without Cooper? I think so.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I like Cooper and think he's a great player, but the success the offense is having since he's been on the team shows how poor the talent level was before he got here, IMO.
And asked Dak to win with that crap without even playing preseason with them. It was a silly approach. And like I said above.....Cooper is a better player than Golden Tate...but if they had added Tate you would've saw a impact. Had they added any solid route runner the impact would've been felt. That's how bad things were before he got here.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
well mid year sure, but mvp can be for someone there from day one

Cowboys couldnt get over the hump for 5 years from 72-76 and Dorsett cam and they made the next 2 SB's winning the first
I’m not sure which “ hump “ you’re referring to but we were in SB in 75, NFC champ game in 72 and 73 and playoffs in 76. Only year we missed was 74.

I lived it and didn’t even have to look it up.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well I don't know if we are a Super Bowl contender NOW. So I definitely didn't feel that at 3-4.

But in this 5 game win streak.....we've beaten the Saints, Commanders, Eagles(twice) and the Falcons. Falcons, Eagirls and Commanders all stink. Good wins. Don't get me wrong those were some very good wins especially on the road. But they were bad teams. We have a defense. Saints game....may be we don't win with Cooper. IMO, that game was more so about our defense but even giving you that......we were a 3-4 team and we were of the same caliber of those teams we beat. So yeah.....do I think we could've went 3-2 or 4-1 in that stretch without Cooper? I think so.
That’s what your eye test told you at 3-5. That we could go 3-2 or 4-1 in that stretch?

plasticman

Reaction score
If the Cowboys win the Super Bowl this year then we can have this debate.

Until then:

Roger Staubach 1971

Emmitt Smith 1993

Those Super Bowls never happen without these guys.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'm sure he's somewhere in-between. Romo's downfall is his lack of post season appearances. I wouldn't even say his lack of post season success because he wasn't there enough. He should've been there far more than what he was....in part was because of his injury plagued seasons. He should've went again in 2015 and 2016.
The reasons for his lack of playoff appearances/success have been debated ad nauseum, and I don't ever want to have that discussion again. :thumbdown::grin:

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Which is crazy because those same people weren't nearly as critical of Romo in his first 3 years....and he actually sat early in his career.
Remember when Romo came into the league? Fans had years to "cheer for the underdog" before he started. It was time for a change. Prescott took over because Romo couldn't stay healthy. It's debatable when Romo could or couldn't return or if he would have done any better or worse, but my point is fans that STILL can't let go of Romo playing aren't able to fairly assess Prescott. I will admit, there are 2 extremes. one all in and one totally against. The fans who support Prescott are getting labeled what they are not.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
And asked Dak to win with that crap without even playing preseason with them. It was a silly approach. And like I said above.....Cooper is a better player than Golden Tate...but if they had added Tate you would've saw a impact. Had they added any solid route runner the impact would've been felt. That's how bad things were before he got here.
Next step is TE IMO.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That’s what your eye test told you at 3-5. That we could go 3-2 or 4-1 in that stretch?
Based on the competition? Yes. I didn't fear the Eagles or the Commanders. Why should I? They've sucked all year. Falcons too. I never in a million years saw the Saints game coming but that was our defense showing up. One touchdown and 2 field goals were good enough to win that game.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Right. But you have to be healthy to even get there and he missed a few off of injury's alone.
Okay, just one: Dak's been here the better part of 3 years, with an excellent O-line his first year, and a fairly good one the last 2. It's not really fair to compare his health to Romo's in that amount of time, especially considering the O-lines Tony had throughout most of his career, IMO.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Based on the competition? Yes. I didn't fear the Eagles or the Commanders. Why should I? They've sucked all year. Falcons too. I never in a million years saw the Saints game coming but that was our defense showing up. One touchdown and 2 field goals were good enough to win that game.
Ok then. Not many did at that time.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Remember when Romo came into the league? Fans had years to "cheer for the underdog" before he started. It was time for a change. Prescott took over because Romo couldn't stay healthy. It's debatable when Romo could or couldn't return or if he would have done any better or worse, but my point is fans that STILL can't let go of Romo playing aren't able to fairly assess Prescott. I will admit, there are 2 extremes. one all in and one totally against. The fans who support Prescott are getting labeled what they are not.

You're 100% right. How you can get behind the underdog in Romo but not the underdog in Dak? Makes no sense to me.
Okay, just one: Dak's been here the better part of 3 years, with an excellent O-line his first year, and a fairly good one the last 2. It's not really fair to compare his health to Romo's in that amount of time, especially considering the O-lines Tony had throughout most of his career, IMO.

Dak takes some vicious hits despite his offensive line.

And this is another myth about Romo. That he never had a offensive line. His 2014 offensive line was much better than what Dak had. Not only that but that 2007 era team had Gurode, Columbo, Free, Flozell and Leonard Davis. Three of those guys ended up being pro bowlers and two of them were All Pro's........

Reactions: G2