An interesting question to ask...

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
...1972 and watched every game of every season since 1975.

From 72 to 75 TV was a bit difficult in rural Canada, but by 75 we got satellite and man it was nothing but "wildfeed" heaven.

I followed the Cowboys and had games taped and sent to me while I lived in London, Berlin, Rome, ***uoka - Japan, Saudi Arabia and Zimbabwe.

When the Boys won the third SuperBowl in the 90s I was watching a satellite feed on a ranch house porch with gazelles and zebras a few feet away on the property relieving themselves.

CliffnDallas

Reaction score
I saw my first Cowboys game at the Cotton Bowl in the mid 60's. Have been a fan ever since. :)

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
i've been a fan since bledsoe hit glenn on the fleaflicker last sunday. now where exactly do they park that bandwagon and how many pieces of carry-on luggage am i allowed?

playoffs or bust bay-bee!!!

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
The 1969 season and their first trip to the SB...lost to the Colts (well they was robbed by the refs just like in the first two against the stealers yes it is mispelled on purpose)

Lifetimeboyzfan

Reaction score
I have never been a fan of any other NFL franchise. My earliest tangible memory is taking my kinder garten school picture in my Dallas Cowboys letterman-style jacket. The one with the fuzzy blue vest part with silver fake leater sleeves! I couldn't even imagine pulling for another team, my father would disown me! He has never pulled for any other team either and he is 54.

Signals

Suspicious looking stranger
Reaction score
I think I was tatooed "Cowboys Fan" shortly after my Dad was involved in a Real Estate deal with Roger after his retirement from the Cowboys. I've been to Roger's home twice. In spite of the fact that Roger's Real Estate business is worth over 180 million dollars, he and his wife still live in the same modest home they did when he was a Dallas Cowboy. I could take you there now. It's quiet little cul-de-sac off of 635 and Hillcrest in North Dallas.

As an adult, I became a diehard fanatic in the early 90s when Aikman, Smith, and Irvin arrived on the scene.

As I have said before: "Wise men follow the star in the East."

juice28

Reaction score
I was born in N.C. in 1979. Back then there were two teams to go for, Commanders or Cowboys. Guess which one I picked. When we got the Panthers in '95, I had some hometown love for them. When they went to the SB, I rooted like hell, but when we play them on Christmas Eve........I'll be in my COWBOYS BLUE!!

lyrclcipha12

Reaction score
well considering i was born in 1985 i started paying attention to football around 1992 and i will admit i was drawn to the cowboys solely because of emmitt smith. i loved watching him play and the three superbowls were nice to experience as well. so i guess i can be considered a bandwagon fan but cmon i was SEVEN! haha, but ive stayed a fan of the boys all these years, including enduring the quincy carter years, the decline of aikman, watching troy hambrick be our featured back, and of course the vinny year. but alas things are looking up again and i imagine a whole new wave of bandwagoning seven year olds will be joining soon...now if only we could find that emmitt smith to draw them in!

Undisputed

Reaction score
Ya it is really hard to prove your loyalty when you are sitting at 19 such as I. And me being a military brat I've never really had a "home base". Probably why I always call the Boyz America's Team. My team baby. And I'll never root for anyone else (cept the Chiefs next Sunday).

el_chevo

El Serrano
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Since 1970.

What!!!! Holy mackerel...man, that is a long time....wow, I didn't know you could be a fan that long...
icon10.gif

hendog

Reaction score
Born in 68. My uncle was Charlie Waters roommate at Clemson in the late sixties. Got a chance to meet him as a little kid at my grandparents house and remember eveyone running around saying "it's Charlie Waters from the Dallas Cowboys" and I've been hooked ever since.

I also had Timmy Newsome's aunt as one of my teachers in 8th grade. Everyone called her gruesome newsome 'cause she could get pretty mean but she new I was a big 'boys fan so she liked me.

Scotman

Reaction score
I watched some of the first games they ever played when both me and the Boys were in diapers. Haven't missed many since.

I don't consider myself a bandwagon kind of fan.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
HTownCowboysFan said:
How many of y'all have been a fan of this team - and THIS team only - prior to, oh let's say, 1990?

An interesting dynamic methinks to see how many of "us" are long-timers (such as moi), bandwagon jumpers since the days of Jimmy, Jerry, and the 'boys, or those who are becoming new fans.

:starspin

Had season tickets at the Cotton Bowl and Texas Stadium eversince.

My Dad originally had 4 seats each year and when he passed away, my two brothers and I have alternated paying for the ticket package.

And eventhough I live in South Florida, I get back to Dallas one time a year to see a game and visit. And on the year I pay for the tickets, if any aren't used for a game, my nephew scalps the remaining tickets and I get my money back less his take for his effort.

So that way, we keep the options on the seats.

So I go back a pretty good ways.

I remember when the Cotton Bowl seats were $10 and easy to get at the gate from scalpers for half that 5 minutes before gametime.

Boy, are those days gone.

Hahaaaa...!!

:laugh2:

parcellswaterboy

DandyDon

Reaction score
HTownCowboysFan said:
How many of y'all have been a fan of this team - and THIS team only - prior to, oh let's say, 1990?

An interesting dynamic methinks to see how many of "us" are long-timers (such as moi), bandwagon jumpers since the days of Jimmy, Jerry, and the 'boys, or those who are becoming new fans.

Been an avid fan since 1966 - I was 8 yrs old and can remember watching the game with my father and grandfather, then going out and emulating Bob Hayes catching the "bomb". Those were the days.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Was pretty young...too young to even know what was going on.

But it was either the year the Manster was a rook or the year after that.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Cowboyfan81 said:
Born in 1969, fan since the age of five, no joke!

On a side note: While bandwagon fans irritate me, what really ticks me off are people who say that your not a true fan if your not from, or live in, the same area as your favorite team. I've lived in California most of my life, and I lived and breathed Cowboys Football for just about all of that time!
After the Oilers moved to Nashville I had a lot of people call me a bandwagon fan because I didn't jump ship. I just told why should I be a fan of the Oilers/Titans when I'm already a fan of the greatest team in the nfl :D

Plus the fact I can't stand Bud Adams

Doomsday101

Reaction score
HTownCowboysFan said:

Fan since 1965