Video: And You Would Let 21 Walk

wrongway

Reaction score
I’m not seeing how anyone has been proven wrong about Zeke. There are plenty of people, including the majority of NFL GMs, that don’t value the RB high enough to select one in the top 5-10 overall picks...or even the entire first round.

Zeke being a top running back doesn’t prove them wrong. They didn’t hold that opinion because they thought Zeke would ‘bust’.

When multiple teams start winning SB titles because of the high draft value they have placed on the RB position, then you can make such a conclusion. It’s a silly conclusion to come to now.
Yes, see the patriots for example.

superonyx

Reaction score
I’m not seeing how anyone has been proven wrong about Zeke. There are plenty of people, including the majority of NFL GMs, that don’t value the RB high enough to select one in the top 5-10 overall picks...or even the entire first round.

Zeke being a top running back doesn’t prove them wrong. They didn’t hold that opinion because they thought Zeke would ‘bust’.

When multiple teams start winning SB titles because of the high draft value they have placed on the RB position, then you can make such a conclusion. It’s a silly conclusion to come to now.
Nice try but no.
I guess teams have won multiple super bowls due to the drafting of a LT in the first round, or a LB in the first round.

The only position in football that any team will hold to this standard is a QB. There is not a single other position on the field that is even close..yet we don’t see 32 QBs drafted in the first round every year.

Here is the reality. If Zeke hit free agency there would not be more than 2-3 teams not interested in signing him and paying him as the top RB in the league. And the 2-3 teams who wouldn’t only wouldn’t because they already tied up money into their RB.

Zeke is the most impactful non QB in the league. The only other non QB that is even close would be Mack.

Thems the facts whether you like it or not.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Zeke is the best RB in the league and on a Hall of Fame pace and showing no signs of slowing down.
This is a run first offense.
The offensive line talent doesn't guarantee a great running game so you simply cannot just throw any run of the mill RB in the starting lineup

This but surly you will hear the standard argument about finding a back in any round to replace him. Get me his replacement THEN AND ONLY THEN we can have this talk.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are going to be a lot of upset people on here when Zeke signs a new 4 or 5 year deal next off season.
Just as there will be many upset when Dak's deal gets done.

The only thing just about everyone seems to agree on is signing Cooper and Jaylon. Even those that blasted Jaylon the 1st year he actually played even limited.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
zeke has done all this and they still haven't won a divisional playoff game

Cowboys22

Reaction score
You can’t get to 2000 without a bunch of long runs and those have been few are far between recently for Zeke. To get there the way Zeke has run the last few seasons would require a workload like no one has ever been given. This isn’t a bash Zeke post. I’m just being honest and realistic. Zeke doesn’t rip off 50+ yard runs. It doesn’t matter if that’s on him, the OL, or the scheme but it does matter a great deal if you want to rush for 2000 yards. I don’t see it happening. 2300-2600 yards rushing and receiving combined, I could totally see.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
After his 5th year option and 2 tag years, yes, I would let him walk.
Assuming Zeke is going to quietly accept this, which I seriously doubt, no way he plays another FULL SEASON for the Cowboys. I'm pretty sure he and his are well aware of what happened to DeMarco Murray ( used with no intention resigning ). Bottom line, for next three years we'll have a pissed off Zeke for a likely required min number of games each. Much rather trade him asap after this season if he's NOT part of long-range plans.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
After his 5th year option and 2 tag years, yes, I would let him walk.

Tag him once...then let him walk. Besides...he's an idiot. And I'm done w/ idiots. :popcorn:

I guess I should correct myself...that is as far as I'd be willing to go...And even then....I wouldn't be opposed to running him into the ground this season...then letting him walk.

I think he's kind of peaked already anyway...I just don't see any passion for the game in him. He's just here to get a check.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
No question there, hoss. The only problem is the pounding he takes every game. How much abuse can he take before he ain't elite anymore? How much is a good, but not elite back worth against the cap? Emmitt prolonged his elite status by being able to avoid a great deal of punishment. Zeke goes at it more like Marion Barber.

Your right and I would be inclined to let him walk if there was a history of injury. I loved having Murray but given his history with injuries and missed games in Dallas the risk was too great. Emmitt and Dorsett played long careers with few injuries. Zeke has had no major injuries through out his career in college or pros. Zeke unlike Barber will go out of bounds more often. Zeke is 23 I think there is a lot of tread left on the tire for him. My hope is they do reach a 5 year deal and like many high paid players teams will use those contract to free up money over the course of the contract.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Uh...Kamara had 81 catches.
Zeke had 77 last year.

You were saying?
I will take Kamara's TD's over Elliott's all day, every day. It's not the number of touches but what they do with them and Elliott isn't a scoremaster.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I would let him walk with a franchise tag forever. Franchise tag him until he shows off the field he will not cost his team being suspended from his stupid life choices.

He is as important as Emmitt Smith on the field. However, He is not Emmitt Smith off the field.

He is like so many players under Jerry's gambling personnel decision making...Unavailable injury prone (Sean Lee, Bruce Carter, etc.) or Unreliable life choices (Gregory, Irving, Lawrence, etc.)...both gambles on personnel are not going to build a Super Bowl team.

InTheZone

Reaction score
The thread exposing Barkley's AVG and YPG because of one run a game opened a lot of eyes apparently.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's a thicker player now, but he hasn't lost his breakaway speed..... impressive.
In 2016, Zeke had three 40+-yard runs, two of which went for TDs, and eight 25+-yard runs with three TDs.
In 2017-18 combined (70% more carries), he had one 40+-yard run (not a TD) and eight 25+-yard runs, only one of which went for a TD. He had no 25-yard TD runs in 2018.
There is evidence that he's losing his breakaway speed.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
If for no other reason, the offensive line makes this argument swing Zeke's way. And just because most players at that position got old doesn't mean this guy will sometime into his second contract. The rebuttal is Emmitt Smith.

To address the crazy...

A) The offensive line argues against Zeke. In fact we know Zeke is slightly less productive than one would expect given the offensive line. Essentially he gets what is blocked. Go watch his 2018-2019 highlight video that was recently posted. It is a dull affair of running in open space and then being tackled. He doesn't break tackles and he doesn't make guys miss. He's just fed volume in a productive system. How did you watch Demarco blitzkrieg the league because of our offensive line and then turn around and fade from relevance as soon as he left the luxury of Smith and buddies and learn no lessons?

B) Zeke is ALREADY slowing down on his rookie contract. Put aside he couldn't be bothered to stay in shape BEFORE he got his big payday but Zeke ranked 15th last year in breakaway percentage. Turn to 2016 highlight tapes from Zeke and then put him on now. If you're telling me he's going to age gracefully like the best running back of all time... Well he's not off to a tremendous start.

C) If your rebuttal necessitates comparing Zeke to the greatest running back and one of the greatest players ever...and not to well documented history of the running bakc position... Get a new argument.