Video: And You Would Let 21 Walk

erod

Reaction score
The only reason I'd let him walk is that his body type is not long for the NFL.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Zeke is a "once in a decade" type of RB. It would be ludicrous to want to get rid of him for any reason when Zeke is barely reaching his prime.
How is he a once in a decade rb when a rb came into the league last year that is better than him and there are numerous running backs in the league right now that have a claim on the best rb title?

When Adrian came into the league there were no debate shows or threads on who the best rb was. He was a once in a decade player. And it was obvious.
It is not obvious that Zeke is either of those things (generational talent or best player at his position).

And wishing it so doesn't make it happen.

Zeke performs worse than you'd expect given our line, doesn't break tackles, doesn't have game breaking long runs and fumbles more often than you'd like.

This is your king?

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Uh...Kamara had 81 catches.
Zeke had 77 last year.

You were saying?
Okay, but didn’t Zeke offer more in the passing game in 2018?
To be short, yes. Zeke’s 77 receptions in 2018 were 19 more than his first two seasons combined. While running back targets are the least-efficient pass playsin the NFL, they are still, play-for-play, more efficient than running so anything that a back can do in this realm is valuable to his team.

Yards per Route Run, our receiving Signature Stat for running backs, measures how efficient a back is when he goes out for a pass route. Elliott was 24th in this metric as a rookie, didn’t qualify as a second-year player, and finished 19th there in 2018 with 1.38 yards per route run, just ahead of Todd Gurley (1.37) and below the likes of Kareem Hunt (15th), Saquon Barkley (13th), Christian McCaffrey (8th), James White (7th), Melvin Gordon (5th), Alvin Kamara (4th) and Tarik Cohen (1st). Thus, while Elliott was productive for the Cowboys in the passing game, it was, like as in the running game, very much a product of volume and not elite efficiency.

You were saying?

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Man I miss how much better a blocker and more explosive Zeke was his rookie season

He was a beast

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Nice try but no.
I guess teams have won multiple super bowls due to the drafting of a LT in the first round, or a LB in the first round.

The only position in football that any team will hold to this standard is a QB. There is not a single other position on the field that is even close..yet we don’t see 32 QBs drafted in the first round every year.

Here is the reality. If Zeke hit free agency there would not be more than 2-3 teams not interested in signing him and paying him as the top RB in the league. And the 2-3 teams who wouldn’t only wouldn’t because they already tied up money into their RB.

Zeke is the most impactful non QB in the league. The only other non QB that is even close would be Mack.

Thems the facts whether you like it or not.

Those aren't facts, those are egregiously incorrect opinions.
Zeke isn't even the most impactful Non-QB on his own team

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Please explain how this team has used the salary cap to EVER put a winner on the field. That argument glies only if the FO can produce a competitive team that is in the NFC Championship game.

Otherwise this is just people playing Madden on this site.
So that’s your argument? Overspend on a position because you’ve done it in the past and it didn’t work? That makes absolutely no sense. They didn’t pay Demarco and it didn’t hurt them a bit.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That take is like 10 years old
10 years old where? Did you not see the playoffs last year? How many of the highest paid running backs in the league did you see? Because the only one I saw happened to have been hurt and got out played by a guy off the street.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You can’t easily find a RB in the draft like Zeke. Not even close.
No you can’t but I don’t need a back as good as Zeke. I need a viable starter. I have the highest paid offensive line in the league. Having a player the caliber of Zeke as my running back is a luxury.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Not all RB make an impact just as not all WR make an impact or any other position. Sure Dallas could get a low cost avg RB but impact players any all position cost money if you want to keep them. I don't recall any Dallas team winning without a top RB. Has the game evolved over the years sure but having a player like Zeke and the impact he makes in my view is worth keeping. This dime a dozen non sense is BS, every position you have guys who are a dime a dozen, playmakers are not
Did you see the top 10 rushers in the league last year? Three of them were rookies and 5 of them were low paid backs taken outside of the first round.

When you have the highest paid offensive line in the league I expect for you to be able to run with players the caliber of Chubb.

Just because Joseph Randle sucked doesn’t mean no back can run behind this line.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
No you can’t but I don’t need a back as good as Zeke. I need a viable starter. I have the highest paid offensive line in the league. Having a player the caliber of Zeke as my running back is a luxury.
I disagree. Having a RB the caliber of Zeke is a game changer. How do you think we won 3 Superbowls with Troy, Emmitt and Michael? Take Emmitt away and we probably don’t win any.

superonyx

Reaction score
You were saying?
Now there is a sad attempt to dig into stats until one is found that you can agree with.

How many targets did Kamara have over Zeke? Wait that right anything that elevated Zeke must be ignored or diminished.

All the crying you want to do changes nothing. Not a single team in the league would take Kamara over Zeke. Zero.
Zeke will get a long term contract and you will just have to deal with it.

Kamara is a very good player in the Saints offense. Zeke is a great player. Zeke is the nfl back most likely to be in the HOF one day.

I'll say it again....Zeke is the most impacting non QB in the NFL. Kamara isnt even this conversation.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Did you see the top 10 rushers in the league last year? Three of them were rookies and 5 of them were low paid backs taken outside of the first round.

When you have the highest paid offensive line in the league I expect for you to be able to run with players the caliber of Chubb.

Just because Joseph Randle sucked doesn’t mean no back can run behind this line.

Top 6 RB in the NFL were 4 where not only #1 picks they were top 8 picks with Zeke, Barkley, Gurley and McCaffery. Sure you can find quality players at all position in a draft, Brady was a 6th rd pick. Come FA those players will look to be paid and someone will pay to bring in talent because the NFL knows talent wins games.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Love this kid. Love his game.

This season, this line, 2000 is within reach.

Also, what I love about highlights of the Cowboys in the other teams stadium is the long run, or short pass long run, and watching the fans of the other team just crushed.

I apologize for creating another thread that will go on for days. I just get excited watching him with the ball..

Absolutely. He is the easiest to replace and in 3 years he will be entering the end of his prime. We as an organization need to learn when to let go of players.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Zeke is a "once in a decade" type of RB. It would be ludicrous to want to get rid of him for any reason when Zeke is barely reaching his prime.

It's a big year for him...anything less than 1200 yards then I think you can put a fork in him. I thought I saw signs last year that he was shying away from contact...not running as hard as he should. One thing is for sure....He's a different dude. You just don't know what your going to get from him from game to game. Do you really want to depend on that kind of guy? I see more Earl Campbell... already on the down slope than some guy just getting warmed up.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
To address the crazy...

A) The offensive line argues against Zeke. In fact we know Zeke is slightly less productive than one would expect given the offensive line. Essentially he gets what is blocked. Go watch his 2018-2019 highlight video that was recently posted. It is a dull affair of running in open space and then being tackled. He doesn't break tackles and he doesn't make guys miss. He's just fed volume in a productive system. How did you watch Demarco blitzkrieg the league because of our offensive line and then turn around and fade from relevance as soon as he left the luxury of Smith and buddies and learn no lessons?

B) Zeke is ALREADY slowing down on his rookie contract. Put aside he couldn't be bothered to stay in shape BEFORE he got his big payday but Zeke ranked 15th last year in breakaway percentage. Turn to 2016 highlight tapes from Zeke and then put him on now. If you're telling me he's going to age gracefully like the best running back of all time... Well he's not off to a tremendous start.

C) If your rebuttal necessitates comparing Zeke to the greatest running back and one of the greatest players ever...and not to well documented history of the running bakc position... Get a new argument.

I went back to see what you have said in the past about Dak. I think this is important and germane to this discussion.

You said this in the Dak Gets No Respect thread.

Why are the fans of this guy so willing to prop him up? Just because he's ours? He is a middling talent surrounded by actually very good players who gives a good interview.

And normally sane fans are willing to throw away their credibility forever to Stan for him. It's quite strange.

More about this in a moment.

You were very vocally against Murray. You cite his post Dallas career, yet ignore the fact the Eagles used him differently and did not have the Dallas line. His heyday for Dallas - his last year here - he carried the ball 392 times.

His only season for the Eagles he carried the ball 193 times. His average attempts per game with Dallas was 24.5. With Philly it was 12.9 per game. Yet when he went to Tennessee they used him more like Dallas than the Eagles. He carried the ball 293 times and averaged 18.3 attempts per game.

Apples to apples.

However, in this we both agree. Murray had a history of injuries and couldn't be trusted. My desire to keep him was his production.

But then came Zeke!

Further you cite last year's decline for Zeke in one category and seem to leave out the fact FredBeard was not on the field and Connor Williams was not muscled up enough to be a dominant guard. I suppose to you those factors are unimportant in Zeke's stats. Kind of like the number of carries Murray had for three different teams and his average per game carries. Interesting you don't consider those as factors in your push against both Murray and Zeke.

You also fail to take into account the league started playing Dallas different after his rookie season, crowding the line and forcing Dak to beat teams. Now since your comment above about Dak, one would suspect you are in agreement with this notion because of Daks dropping off and the ridiculous comment that Zeke "essentially gets what is blocked."

I take that to mean his yards come only when the other team gets blocked. To a degree I want to say,

"No scat, Sherlock."

Correct this interpretation if I read it incorrectly.

But how very generous of you since other teams are seriously focusing on Zeke to put the onus on Dak. And you must agree with that because of you showing so much love for Dak in other threads like the one above.

What comes to mind here after your concerted negativity about Murray, Dak, and Zeke. I understand a show me attitude. I have that with Dak. Show me you can be the man. But looking at the black and white results and still find nothing worthwhile says a lot about your position.

The stacking the lines with 8 and 9 in the box would account for the breakaway percentage. For every action there is an equal reaction. The league stacks the box and Zeke's stats change because Dak can't back them off with the deep ball enough.

Just logic. Not crazy.

Finally to your point about Emmitt. I left off Emmitt's rookie season because Jimmy was teaching him a lesson about holding out. He had 937 yards or so.

EMMITT SMITH

..............Games..........Games started..........Rush..........Yards..........
1991......16..................16...............................365.............1561
1992......16..................16...............................371.............1713
1993......14..................13 (hold out).............283.............1486
1994......15..................15..............................368..............1484
1995......16..................16..............................377..............1773

The seasons from 1991 to 1995 Emmitt averaged 22.88 carries per game

The next seven years as a Cowboy he averaged 292 carries per season
The next seven seasons as a Cowboy he posted 8206 yards
The next seven years as a Cowboy he averaged 15.42 per games per season

Ezekiel Elliott

2016.....15.................15...............................322.................1631
2017.....10.................10...............................242.................983
2018.....15.................15...............................304.................1434

Through Zeke's career, he has averaged 21.7 carries per game.

Emmitt's first three seasons (including his rookie campaign) he totaled 4211 yards, playing in 47 games, averaging 20.4 touches per game. Total carries in first three years - 979

Zeke's first three seasons (without Aikman, Irvin, and the defense and winning one super bowl) totaled 4048 yards playing in 40 games (7 less than Emmitt), averaging 21.7 touches per game. Total carries in first three years - 868

To sum up Zeke carried the ball 101 less times in 7 less games - without a HOF QB, HOF Receiver, a defense that took them to the Super Bowl, including a HOF defensive end and won - and came up short on yardage against the GOAT and HOF Emmitt Smith by 163 yards. With Dak - whom you think is about average as a QB. Apples to apples. So I can damn sure compare these two guys in the same time frame, and factor in the team around them and make the case Zeke is more than special.

One last point. You said this to me in a thread about Zeke.

What about without Zeke and 50MM to spend?

And I say again, looking at these stats and the history of the two players - which I mentioned to you in this thread - and considering the front office and their hijinx and inability to put a team on the field for over twenty years that can get to the NFC Championship game,

What the Hell does 50 MM mean in regard to having potentially one of the best running backs in this era, knowing Jerry couldn't find his butt with a road map and a tour guide in regard to getting to a championship game?

You toss around people who see things in players you question as crazy or insane. Perhaps what is closer to the truth is you are somewhat color blind.

I respect you as a poster. But disgruntled is not your shade.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I I thought I saw signs last year that he was shying away from contact...not running as hard as he should.

Refresh my memory, Floaty. When Emmitt started stepping out of bound because he was thinking about longevity, did you jump up and post something about him avoiding contact?

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Absolutely. He is the easiest to replace and in 3 years he will be entering the end of his prime. We as an organization need to learn when to let go of players.

People say that. I see none of them offer proof he is the easiest to replace.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
The Cowboys should keep him under current contract through 2020 and franchise him in 2021 if still productive. Be prepared for his holdout and premature departure.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Refresh my memory, Floaty. When Emmitt started stepping out of bound because he was thinking about longevity, did you jump up and post something about him avoiding contact?

Emmitt maybe ran out of bound 5 times his whole career....Blockhead does it @ least 2 times a game. :rolleyes: