Anonymous NFL Executive had harsh words for Dak

leeblair

Reaction score
This is a respectable take. But here's what confuses me.

If Dak is a choker, can't take lead, etc.... how does a quarterback with all of those issues become an All-Pro and MVP candidate without the help of a functioning running game?

How does a quarterback with deficiencies, lead 3 straight seasons of 12 wins playing on a team that lead the league in penalties each of those seasons and also an offensive line with starters who haven't played together for three seasons due to injury until last season?

Do you know of any other quarterbacks who've become All Pro and MVP candidate without a running game to help the offense? I'm sure there may be others but I can't think of any at the moment.

We all know Dak isn't elite but he's not the only problem with this team.
In those games where Dak puts up great numbers the rest of the team is putting them up, too.
He gets plenty of help.
And his so-called "MVP" candidacy ended when he choked once again in the playoffs and everyone saw that he is great against bad teams but once again it was proven that is where his supposed "greatness" ends. If he could play against weaker teams all year in which the Cowboys dominate in every category he would continue putting up great stats.
But the truth is out; he doesn't hold up versus good teams.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
That post is so ridiculous it’s a complete waste of time. :rolleyes: I have better things to do on this board than to waste time with fans that don’t know what they’re talking about. Just another fan trying to discount Dak.
Yes, let's discount CD by saying Dak is the only reason he will get a contract. ;):welcome:

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I'm not a Dak lover or hater. But what has NFL fandom come to when the NFL MVP runner-up is labeled as "not doing anything special"?
Go review CD's receptions and see how many times they were easy completions. Every NFL QB would have gotten him the ball on the vast majority of those catches. That's not special. Special is completing low percentage throws on a regular basis.

There has been an entire thread discussing how easy it is to put up "numbers" in today's league. Tua & Goff put up more passing yards than Dak. Wouldn't that be more special?

Purdy only had 295 yards less on 146 less attempts & 102 less completions.

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score

https://thelandryhat.com/posts/anonymous-nfl-executive-qb-rankings-cowboys-dak-prescott-01j2xwb0z4gb

Anonymous NFL executive says quiet part out loud about Cowboys' Dak Prescott​

This Dak Prescott criticism hits very close to home.

By Jerry Trotta | 8:00 AM CDT​

"He always does well enough to be in the top 10 but never gets over the hump," said an NFC executive. "He makes all the throws. He's playing the position at a high level. But something's missing. There are a lot of factors in that, from the running game, playcalling, defense, and Dallas hasn't won in a long while. But certain guys are going to elevate their team late in the game, and Dak doesn't seem to do that."

Harsh or accurate?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak is far good enough to win a Super Bowl if he had the team around him to do it.
The only team to win more games than the Cowboys the last 3 years (by one game) is the Chiefs.

If Dak was good enough to win a super bowl..........

GINeric

Reaction score
In those games where Dak puts up great numbers the rest of the team is putting them up, too.
He gets plenty of help.
And his so-called "MVP" candidacy ended when he choked once again in the playoffs and everyone saw that he is great against bad teams but once again it was proven that is where his supposed "greatness" ends. If he could play against weaker teams all year in which the Cowboys dominate in every category he would continue putting up great stats.
But the truth is out; he doesn't hold up versus good teams.

But his record is pretty decent league vs winning teams compared to other starting quarterbacks vs winning teams. I think Dak is something like 24 - 28 vs winning teams. Matthew Stafford is like 11-72. I think Aaron Rodgers is like 44-47 or something like that. (I may be off a little on the records)

But what I'm saying is, that's a false narrative that Dak can't beat good teams. He's done it before a few times.

And against those good teams that gave Dak problems.... they made the rest of our team look just as bad. It's amazing how the rest of the team can play bad just like Dak, but he's the only player mentioned after big losses.

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The only team to win more games than the Cowboys the last 3 years (by one game) is the Chiefs.

If Dak was good enough to win a super bowl..........
We flame out by the playoffs. Our defensive performance against the Packers was the worst we saw the entire season.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

https://thelandryhat.com/posts/anonymous-nfl-executive-qb-rankings-cowboys-dak-prescott-01j2xwb0z4gb

Anonymous NFL executive says quiet part out loud about Cowboys' Dak Prescott​

This Dak Prescott criticism hits very close to home.

By Jerry Trotta | 8:00 AM CDT​

"He always does well enough to be in the top 10 but never gets over the hump," said an NFC executive. "He makes all the throws. He's playing the position at a high level. But something's missing. There are a lot of factors in that, from the running game, playcalling, defense, and Dallas hasn't won in a long while. But certain guys are going to elevate their team late in the game, and Dak doesn't seem to do that."

I agree with that. But when you admit you have these other concerns or weaknesses as well do you let go the one who can take you to the brink even if he’s not enough to overcome these other weaknesses, greater teams, QB’s and coaching ?

IDK. It’s a tough call. If we could just dial up another Staubach for example , I’m all in. But there’s no guarantees out there. They’re simply not enough Elite QB’s to go around. Most franchises have to build around less than great QB’s.

I think you have to stay the course and continue trying to build around best you can and hope it’s enough to finally break thru. But it’s going to be difficult going up against greater FO’s, coaching staffs and better built teams, etc .

Sometimes you’re just beat by better teams and or greater talents. Sometimes in a one game elimination you don’t have your best performance or other team and or players have stellar ones. Which happened to us even in our greatest eras.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
But his record is pretty decent league vs winning teams compared to other starting quarterbacks vs winning teams. I think Dak is something like 24 - 28 vs winning teams. Matthew Stafford is like 11-72. I think Aaron Rodgers is like 44-47 or something like that. (I may be off a little on the records)

But what I'm saying is, that's a false narrative that Dak can't beat good teams. He's done it before a few times.

And against those good teams that gave Dak problems.... they made the rest of our team look just as bad. It's amazing how the rest of the team can play bad just like Dak, but he's the only player mentioned after big losses.
Yea, it goes both ways. QB’s are often credited with wins too when the team around him deserves more credit.

But that’s all part of 24/7 media and now social media circus we live in now. Everything is over polarized. The media has convinced us that winning championships is only way to define greatness.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I agree with that. But when you admit you have these other concerns or weaknesses as well do you let go the one who can take you to the brink even if he’s not enough to overcome these other weaknesses, greater teams, QB’s and coaching ?

IDK. It’s a tough call. If we could just dial up another Staubach for example , I’m all in. But there’s no guarantees out there. They’re simply not enough Elite QB’s to go around. Most franchises have to build around less than great QB’s.

I think you have to stay the course and continue trying to build around best you can and hope it’s enough to finally break thru. But it’s going to be difficult going up against greater FO’s, coaching staffs and better built teams, etc .

Sometimes you’re just beat by better teams and or greater talents. Sometimes in a one game elimination you don’t have your best performance or other team and or players have stellar ones. Which happened to us even in our greatest eras.
I agree but we had pretty much the same post-season issues with Romo. This is why I am now convinced the gap we see in the postseason isn't a Dak or Romo issue. It's the 3-4 QUALITY free-agent signings we leave on the table every off-season instead of settling for low-tier bottom feeders. Think about it, they consistently build through the draft and sprinkle a few bottom-feeding free agents from the outside. So when you get to the postseason, that gap is exposed. What's crazy is we have passed on several reasonable free agents who could have started for under $5M.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I agree but we had pretty much the same post-season issues with Romo. This is why I am now convinced the gap we see in the postseason isn't a Dak or Romo issue. It's the 3-4 QUALITY free-agent signings we leave on the table every off-season instead of settling for low-tier bottom feeders. Think about it, they consistently build through the draft and sprinkle a few bottom-feeding free agents from the outside. So when you get to the postseason, that gap is exposed. What's crazy is we have passed on several reasonable free agents who could have started for under $5M.
It’s all the above beginning with our leadership at the top. Not having an Elite QB doesn’t help.

But it’s not the core reason we’ve had less success. Unfortunately there’s simply not enough to go around the league.

We’ve seen franchises with similar less than Elite QB’s like Romo and Dak make championship and SB appearances. Some have even won.

Are they enough to overcome our other concerns and weaknesses. Probably not. Is that their fault. That doesn’t mean they don’t bare some of the criticisms.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
It’s all the above beginning with our leadership at the top. Not having an Elite QB doesn’t help.

But it’s not the core reason we’ve had less success. Unfortunately there’s simply not enough to go around the league.

We’ve seen franchises with similar less than Elite QB’s like Romo and Dak make championship and SB appearances. Some have even won.

Are they enough to overcome our other concerns and weaknesses. Probably not. Is that their fault. That doesn’t mean they don’t bare some of the criticisms.
I tell you what....show me a Super Bowl-winning team that didn't have at least two QUALITY free agent starters. Like I said earlier, I'm not talking top-tier mega free agents but the mid-level guys with another year or two left in the tank.

Good example....Bobby Wagner admitted he WOULD HAVE signed with the Cowboys last season but we didn't even bother to offer him a contract. Hell, Quinn admitted he's wanted to reunite with him for some time. So it's not a reach to say he stood on a table bit to get him but was ignored. I think he signed with the Seahawks for what $2-3M?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m not a SB or Bust type of fan. The media this era has over glorified the QB and basically only measure greatness by winning championships.

I still believe our greatest era was when we only won 2 SB’s. But we played 5 SB’s in a decade, 7 championship games in a decade ( 12 in 17 years ) with 20 consecutive winning seasons.

Yes in the 90’s we probably had our greatest team which won 3 rings. For 4 years we had arguably our best team ever. But we couldn’t sustain those winning ways. Not even close to it. And haven’t got close to either eras for almost 3 decades now.

Much has to do with our leadership as it did back in previous eras. And I’d argue still remains our biggest obstacle to overcome today.