Another school shooting, Texas this time

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Just a bunch of kids...and for what? Who knows what all these kids “would have” been,done,helped,invented,impacted ect. For all we know..the cure for cancer was stomped out. Just sad.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
A parent didn't lock away his weapons from his kid and didn't monitor his kids social media activity to know the kid needed help. That's how important being a responsible gun owner and parent is. All the arguing needs to stop and all these personal agendas put aside. It comes down to one person's failure... the father. Now I'm going to continue praying.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
A parent didn't lock away his weapons from his kid and didn't monitor his kids social media activity to know the kid needed help. That's how important being a responsible gun owner and parent is. All the arguing needs to stop and all these personal agendas put aside. It comes down to one person's failure... the father. Now I'm going to continue praying.
Bingo...the key word with gun owners,”responsible ”. Be a responsible gun owner. Meaning a mature sober minded one. I can’t tell you all the garbage I see on the net from yahoo’s going on,and on,and on,about their weapons and this and that. I don’t trust gun owners like that. My dad was a gun owner,and taught me the principles and rules of them,and how one should be responsible. He was very strict with me on those points,and watched and corrected me,and pointed out why Joe down there was not to be trusted,anytime he took me to the shooting range. He didn’t brag about them,he didn’t think they were toys,and now I understand and am very thankful I had the dad I did. I’m around a lot of police being I share a parking garage with them,so I get to hear a lot of things they say,when they think no one else is around...and the one thing I NEVER hear them talk about...is their guns. Not them bragging about them,showing em,or nothing like that. And these are all ex-military alpha guys. So I know there is a lot of bad apples when I see people carrying on as they are.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I always thought a gun safety class should be part of school curriculum. Teach them everything from the history, mechanics to how to get to safety and/or fight. No need to actually shoot them, but more so from the mental side. Maybe more kids would respect them more and the danger of mishandling.

I imagine that would not fly in today’s society though. Even if someone is against guns, at least have an understanding about them and what/why they are here for.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I always thought a gun safety class should be part of school curriculum. Teach them everything from the history, mechanics to how to get to safety and/or fight. No need to actually shoot them, but more so from the mental side. Maybe more kids would respect them more and the danger of mishandling.

I imagine that would not fly in today’s society though. Even if someone is against guns, at least have an understanding about them and what/why they are here for.

Given the 2nd amendment. I completely agree. Gun safety should be taught in all US high school just like drivers ed, etc.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
That's all we can do Joe. I agree with some of your post, but keep in mind kids as well as adults can purchase a gun from a guy on the street and also over the internet. I feel for the parents, their lives are forever ruined with guilt. I don't however look at the parents as "failure". People that kill are not right in their mind.

What's sad is it's very hard to dedect. This kid is almost an adult. That said, if he were normal in the head, the father shouldn't have to lock up his guns.

He also made homemade bombs that didn't go off. How is this "failure" as well from the father?!

Last edited:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
That's all we can do Joe. I agree with some of your post, but keep in mind kids as well as adults can purchase a gun from a guy on the street and also over the internet. I feel for the parents, their lives are forever ruined with guilt. I don't however look at the parents as "failure". People that kill are not right in their mind.

What's sad is it's very hard to dedect. This kid is almost an adult. That said, if he were normal in the head, the father shouldn't have to lock up his guns.

He also made homemade bombs that didn't go off. How is this "failure" as well from the father?!
I'm talking only about the specifics of this case, not other cases and not in general. The kid used his father's unsecured weapons to kill. If the father had been monitoring his son's social media, he would have know his son needed help. And he would have known he can not trust his "almost adult" son with weapons. How involved was this father in his son's life? You can not be serious when you say the son built bombs without the father knowing about it but it's not the father's failure. Parents have to be involved in their kid's lives. Be a parent not a friend.

visionary

Reaction score

Yes
Everyone else should "put aside their agenda" while you continue to trumpet yours :rolleyes:

robbieruff

Reaction score
An example really needs to be made with these kid shootings, just not sure what though. 1 quick solution is all schools need to have restricted access where all students and teachers need to go through metal detectors just like at the airports. Yeah it sucks but this is the day and age we live in.
Sad that’s its come to his. Even sadder that nothing about implementing this would be quick. Agree that ONE of the strategies to addressing problem should be controlling access. Many urban schools already take such measures. Most of the schools getting shot up seem to be in suburbia where this type of violence was never supposed to happen. I guess we’re learning a hard lesson.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
That's how agendas work
They're obvious to others but those who have them have usually have convinced themselves otherwise :muttley:
Actually it's quite the opposite. People with an agenda know the underlying intentions or motives while everyone else is oblivious and are just innocent bystanders. The underlying intentions or motives only benefits very few and often only the one with the agenda. It's like the difference between a hustler and a con man. A hustler is always having to pull out of town before his angry victims get hold of him. But a good con man doesn't leave until he wants to.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I'm not sure metal detector would do much in stopping a very determine individual. If he's determine it's not to pull it off with bypassing or going through a detector. It's not high school campuses are surrounded by 10-12ft fence. They're all pretty open or at min pretty accessible. My point, a determined individual can simply access the campus the night before, plant his weapons, and go through a metal detector during regular school hours. Pick a time( likely between classes or lunch breaks ), retrieve his weapons, bingo.

Nothing will stop a very determined individual. Not laws, not precautions, not anything. If you are determined and if you have the resources, it's going to happen. That's not in question, that's just the reality. The idea of fences acting as a deterrent is not out of the question. It limits access and creates controlled access points for authorities to provide better, tighter security. This only limits the threat but it doesn't remove it. That's never going to be a possibility IMO. You can't guarantee anybodies safety 100%. That's just the world we live in.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Nothing will stop a very determined individual. Not laws, not precautions, not anything. If you are determined and if you have the resources, it's going to happen. That's not in question, that's just the reality. The idea of fences acting as a deterrent is not out of the question. It limits access and creates controlled access points for authorities to provide better, tighter security. This only limits the threat but it doesn't remove it. That's never going to be a possibility IMO. You can't guarantee anybodies safety 100%. That's just the world we live in.
I totally agree, it depends on how determined the individual/s are. Barriers such as a fence do work but they are not infallible. Laws do not stop the lawless. In a free society such as ours, a determined culprit with the right resourses is unstopable. But let's be honest with ourselves, these crimes aren't being commited by criminal masterminds. Lazy parenting, lax law enforcement, and incompetence are usually the contributing factors that allow these kids to access weapons and get them in school to kill. We know how to lock up weapons and monitor our children's social media and be involved in our children's lives. These things alone will prevent most of these shootings. A proactive police force plus proactive parents can nip these tragedies in the bud.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It's usually the shooters own gun that is used in these cases. Well, except for Sandy Hook.

Correct. The Undetectable Gun Act made it illegal to manufacture guns or sell guns, in the US that were undetectable by Metal Detectors. So in order to get one, it's really, really expensive and it's very difficult because you can not buy them at any gun store etc. It has to be something that is essentially smuggled in at great expense. On top of this, it's typically hand guns that are used to beat metal detectors. To get anything like a long barrel rifle, semi auto or even Auto Rifle or AR, it's decidedly more difficult. rifles that are built to beat security are not very durable, they don't last long so usually, they are built for a very specific job. It's a one time thing and it's not cheap in any way. Those type of weapons are very rare and not available to just anybody, even if you have the money, which the overwhelming majority of people would not. I think Hollywood has kinda created an idea that these types of weapons are easier to obtain then they really are. As I said in another post, if you have the resources and if you have the determination to do anything, no amount of preparation can stop it but it can certainly be made much more difficult to accomplish by taking some of these measures IMO.

Last edited: