Another sign we’re close?

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
17th in points/offensive series. Down from 9th in 2017 and 4th in 2016. Given how our team plays the game, with a good defense you can win games that way.

The Rams had a better team than we did in 2018. And had we converted that late 4th and 1, we very possibly tie that game late. I don’t think we’re far from legitimately competing with the team we’ve got here. I agree that we needed to address the offense and the red zone issues. We’ve done some of that. I guess we’ll see if the red zone issues improve enough.
We are not far from the prize!

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
That’s such a hypocritical statement. Jerry has disrespected Cowboys Football with his mgmt style. He’s the most hated sports personality in the DFW area.

Obviously you haven’t read a local newspaper, tuned into a local radio station or TV affiliate in the last 30 years or you’d know.

I remember a sports writer for the Fort Worth Star Telegram that kept writing bad stuff about Jones and the Cowboys until Jones finally revoked his press pass so the paper fired that writer saying if you don't have access to the biggest sports story in the Metroplex then you're of no use and now 20 years later that same sports writer is a big supporter of the Cowboys and Jones, Skip Bayless. I know that every once in a while a sports writer or sports broadcaster may say something not very nice about Jones, but it's NOWHERE close to what you're trying to paint because they all know what happened to Bayless and they're not going to have it happen to them. To many "fans" that say crap about Jones start to confuse what these disgruntle fans say with what responsible sports people say or more accurate what they aren't saying. Those "fans" think because there are a few Jones hating fans in comparison to the total number of Cowboys fans that there is this HUGE hatred of Jones. If Jones was hated as much as the fans that hate him do and think the local media does also then EVERY national sports media would be reporting this non stop every day, every week and that isn't happening. It's just a very small percentage of "fans" that are making all this noise.

ESisback

Reaction score
I remember a sports writer for the Fort Worth Star Telegram that kept writing bad stuff about Jones and the Cowboys until Jones finally revoked his press pass so the paper fired that writer saying if you don't have access to the biggest sports story in the Metroplex then you're of no use and now 20 years later that same sports writer is a big supporter of the Cowboys and Jones, Skip Bayless. I know that every once in a while a sports writer or sports broadcaster may say something not very nice about Jones, but it's NOWHERE close to what you're trying to paint because they all know what happened to Bayless and they're not going to have it happen to them. To many "fans" that say crap about Jones start to confuse what these disgruntle fans say with what responsible sports people say or more accurate what they aren't saying. Those "fans" think because there are a few Jones hating fans in comparison to the total number of Cowboys fans that there is this HUGE hatred of Jones. If Jones was hated as much as the fans that hate him do and think the local media does also then EVERY national sports media would be reporting this non stop every day, every week and that isn't happening. It's just a very small percentage of "fans" that are making all this noise.

I agree that a small percentage make a lot of noise, but Jerry is the most polarizing of all the NFL owners, because 1)he’s a big gambler who LOVES the spotlight, and 2)he owns the Dallas Cowboys.

By the way, getting kicked off the Dallas beat didn’t exactly hurt Skippy. He’s got a daily national platform now.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You really don’t get it do you. And I shouldn’t waste anymore time with you. Locals love the Cowboys despite Jerry.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I agree that a small percentage make a lot of noise, but Jerry is the most polarizing of all the NFL owners, because 1)he’s a big gambler who LOVES the spotlight, and 2)he owns the Dallas Cowboys.

By the way, getting kicked off the Dallas beat didn’t exactly hurt Skippy. He’s got a daily national platform now.

It's true about Bayless now, but he was unemployed for about 6 months before ESPN picked him up part time on the radio at first. I can't believe he was living high on the hog for those 6 months with what he was making at the paper and having no paychecks for those 6 months.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
You really don’t get it do you. And I shouldn’t waste anymore time with you. Locals love the Cowboys despite Jerry.

And it'S only a very vocal few that hate Jones. Have you ever heard the saying vocal MINORITY? It's you doesn't get it that those few vgocal haters are FAR from the majority. Most fans like that the Cowboys have one of the most powerful owners in the league.

ESisback

Reaction score
It's true about Bayless now, but he was unemployed for about 6 months before ESPN picked him up part time on the radio at first. I can't believe he was living high on the hog for those 6 months with what he was making at the paper and having no paychecks for those 6 months.

Yeah, for six whole months he MIGHT have existed on an income only slightly larger than what WE live on! Imagine...

My whole point was that I seriously doubt that many Dallas beat writers worth their salt actually stress much over the possibility of offending Jerry.

I don’t hate Jerry, but many do. Many more like him, see his faults, and get a chuckle out of the nicknames and sarcastic jibes.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And it'S only a very vocal few that hate Jones. Have you ever heard the saying vocal MINORITY? It's you doesn't get it that those few vgocal haters are FAR from the majority. Most fans like that the Cowboys have one of the most powerful owners in the league.
I think those fans are along the same lines that keep their politicians because they have clout heading up committees.

I think most fans are exactly like the fans when Murchison and Bright owned the team, they could care less. No fan, except family, cares about Booger, they care about the team they follow.

There has never been a spotlight seeker like him in sports history and that will bring some polarization because most fans don't even know what the owner of their team looks like. Hell, I rode up on the elevator with Murchison and didn't even know it back when they were located on Central Expressway.

There's no GM of any sports team in history that's been so needy of attention and the Cowboys have the same guy in both positions. I knew quite a lot of fans back in the day and the ones that left the team because of him did so because of Landry, I don't know one that has left because he owns or manages it or one that is a fan because of that.

The fact is, for me, he is completely unimportant. Not even important to the point I once took solace in losses because of his unhappiness. I could care less if he lives or drops dead today and do my best to avoid exposure to him and the ridiculous things he says just as I do the Kardashians, they just do not matter in my world.

And I don't blame him for my sagging passion for the game or team, I think that's just the passage of time and final acceptance I went overboard for a sports team. I do not feel any different if they win or lose and I consider that a good thing. Far too much time is spent on this forum about him, far more than the old DC.com and he owned that.

But I do not hate Booger. The opposite of love is not hate, it is indifference and that's what I am about him. He and his family just happen to own the team I am a fan of but nowhere close to the extent in my past. If one comes to this forum, it's hard not to have to address topics about him. If he farts, someone will bring that in here for us to debate, egg or popcorn?

cern

Reaction score
skip was picked up by one of the local sports radio stations to host a call in show called "not the same ole norm", which was a shot at former buddy norm nitges who also had a similar show. skip's show eventually supplanted norm's as the most popular. this was during the early 90's.

ESisback

Reaction score
I think those fans are along the same lines that keep their politicians because they have clout heading up committees.

I think most fans are exactly like the fans when Murchison and Bright owned the team, they could care less. No fan, except family, cares about Booger, they care about the team they follow.

There has never been a spotlight seeker like him in sports history and that will bring some polarization because most fans don't even know what the owner of their team looks like. Hell, I rode up on the elevator with Murchison and didn't even know it back when they were located on Central Expressway.

There's no GM of any sports team in history that's been so needy of attention and the Cowboys have the same guy in both positions. I knew quite a lot of fans back in the day and the ones that left the team because of him did so because of Landry, I don't know one that has left because he owns or manages it or one that is a fan because of that.

The fact is, for me, he is completely unimportant. Not even important to the point I once took solace in losses because of his unhappiness. I could care less if he lives or drops dead today and do my best to avoid exposure to him and the ridiculous things he says just as I do the Kardashians, they just do not matter in my world.

And I don't blame him for my sagging passion for the game or team, I think that's just the passage of time and final acceptance I went overboard for a sports team. I do not feel any different if they win or lose and I consider that a good thing. Far too much time is spent on this forum about him, far more than the old DC.com and he owned that.

But I do not hate Booger. The opposite of love is not hate, it is indifference and that's what I am about him. He and his family just happen to own the team I am a fan of but nowhere close to the extent in my past. If one comes to this forum, it's hard not to have to address topics about him. If he farts, someone will bring that in here for us to debate, egg or popcorn?

Yeah, I’m kinda indifferent too. There’s things I like AND don’t like about Jerry, but the bottom line for me is the enjoyment I get from the players, uniform, history and tradition of the Dallas Cowboys, and football in general.

cern

Reaction score
what I love most about the football season is that it's concurrent with the hunting season. if the game is good, I watch it. if not, I go back outside and hunt. win/win for me. there are always guests on the ranch during hunting season so it's always a good time. I prefer it when the cowboys win, but don't lament at all if they don't.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, I’m kinda indifferent too. There’s things I like AND don’t like about Jerry, but the bottom line for me is the enjoyment I get from the players, uniform, history and tradition of the Dallas Cowboys, and football in general.
I am sure the Bengals and Raiders fans feel the same way and at least they have some history with the fathers of the sons that now own them. The poor AZ fans have the acorn that fell right on the tree.

I became a fan when we didn't know who the owners were and could care less. Only knew about Schramm because he had a little Booger in himself but other owners and GM's weren't out there in the public eye....on purpose.

If they want me to care about the owners, then they need to change the OT to a MMA match between the owners at the 50 yard line. I care as much about that as I do the owner of any business I choose to do business with. I view them the same way, each provides a service to me. The Cowboys players entertain me, not the clown owner.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
what I love most about the football season is that it's concurrent with the hunting season. if the game is good, I watch it. if not, I go back outside and hunt. win/win for me. there are always guests on the ranch during hunting season so it's always a good time. I prefer it when the cowboys win, but don't lament at all if they don't.
And you get to work off the frustration of a bad game by murdering innocent little animals. But you've inspired me, I am going to get me a tennis racket and take on my hummingbirds.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
skip was picked up by one of the local sports radio stations to host a call in show called "not the same ole norm", which was a shot at former buddy norm nitges who also had a similar show. skip's show eventually supplanted norm's as the most popular. this was during the early 90's.
I have a lot more respect for him and Hansen speaking out about the manner in which Landry was treated and both lost jobs because of that. Bayless went one further perpetuating the rumor that Aikman would gladly redecorate your home or give you a new coiffure. But he gets the blame for creating it and all he really did was expose it.

I do believe Bayless was the one that one of Booger's kids asked why he was being invited to the media soiree and Booger responded because he covers the Cowboys. That's all he cared about.

I kind of marveled at the dichotomy of what Booger was doing back then. He did the unthinkable, as far as the media was concerned, in firing the local legend and then tried to cultivate them, mostly with wine and dine, to help him get a positive vibe going for the turnaround. He needed the local media and knew that. Any detractors, like Bayless and Hansen, had to go. The amusing thing about that was the media knew exactly what he was trying to do but had no idea Johnson would be as successful so soon so they had to jump on for the ride once the train took off.

I do believe if not for Booger hiring Johnson, he would have gone the same way as Bright and sold the team within a few years. And that possibly might have brought Landry out of retirement with a new owner? Or with a string of poor seasons and a crappy venue, would the Cowboys have been moved and be the LA Cowboys or maybe the AZ Cowboys?

ESisback

Reaction score

A man with a plan!