Another year not addressing QB1 deficiency

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Let's look at the history of our SB teams, shall we?
-
Won 2 SBs with Staubach, who, if not for his military service, would very likely been either the first player drafted or at least in the top 5 players drafted. Won 3 SBs with Aikman, the no. 1 overall pick.

So now folks want to draft a qb in the late first round, which was the Dallas pick this year, or mid rounds, and yet somehow he'll be a SB winning qb, even though we can't stand our present qb, who was - wait for it - a mid round pick!
Dallas drafted Quincy Carter in the second round, and was he a SB winning qb? Nope. Dallas drafted Isiah Stanback in the 3rd round and Stephen MaGee in the 4th round. None of those qbs did anything of note, let alone get Dallas past the second round of the playoffs.

How about free agency? Remember Drew Bledsoe? He was a SB appearing qb, twice the winning qb in the AFC championship game. Did he lead Dallas to a SB? Nope again. We signed Brad Johnson, a bona fide SB winning quarterback, albeit on the tail end of his career, and did he do great? Nope, once again.

Yet now we want to wreck the salary cap and "well, we gotta try" to find a great qb, better than Dak, in the mid rounds or in free agency, despite the fact that such a strategy has been tried, and it didn't work. Or pick up a conference championship winning qb, a proven winner, and hope he gets us to the SB. That has been tried also, and it didn't work.

When and if Dallas can get another no. 4 or so draft pick, that's the time for this team to draft a qb. Otherwise, Jerry will just waste him with greenhorn OCs, favorite son HCs (Garrett, Campo) or a HC who had a qb who was one of the best qbs in the NFL, went 6-9-1, left the team, only to have that same qb go 13-3 three years in a row. Managed only 1 SB win with Rodgers, a multiple, multiple MVP winner.

Dak isn't the reason we haven't won another SB. He's not played well enough in the playoffs, that point is not in dispute. He's not able to overcome Jerry's meddling as gm, but as is indicated above, probably nobody but a top 1-5 draft pick qb can.

If you can't stand Dak, ragging on him every chance you get isn't going to change anything as long as Jerry's "large and in charge"...
on point. and these pundits forget Jerry wanted to pick Manziel with the 16th pick....did we get lucky or would that have made the pundits happy? and they wanted to trade up to the first and take Lynch...did we get lucky or would that made them happy....

some idiots even argued, that if Lynch was here, he would have been a really good QB and he sucked because he went else where...you know, the holy water at the dallas complex does a lot of magic...for some I guess

Toro9

Reaction score
really. a team that went to second round of playoffs. lost in the 4th quarter. should draft a QB in the first round, instead of, I don't fix the dang run defense or get a top notch TE, nahh, just draft a QB, so to make you and about 1.5% of the fans on CZ happy. lets just reach for someone....I don't know if he is better than what we have, but man dang I feel good. right?

you are a child. or maybe a TMZ fan.....one or the other.
Oh, I love you too, buddy

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
That would be ridiculous to waste a 1st or 2nd round pick every year trying to find a qb. Maybe a developmental guy late but he would have to beat out Grier to make the roster. Also Dak is starting the next two years just based on the contract so there wasn’t much point looking at qb this year. Next year will make more sense with Dak in the last year of his deal.

Acceptablename

Reaction score
Were the last 7 years amusing to you?
I think he most salient question is are they going to actually change starting quarterbacks in the next four years? If you think the answer is yes I think you’re mistaken. Now I’ll answer your question answer your question, if I wasn’t amused I wouldn’t waste my time. And I suggest you wouldn’t either that’s the nature of the beast.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Didn't expect a qb to be drafted this draft or the next one. Maybe the one after that but doubt it it.
the issue with expectations they aren't shred by everyone and vary and im betting when you least expect it, a qb will be drafted or traded for or UDFA acquired but did we draft Romo, nope started 10 years and owns ton of records. We have starter and a B/U why waste the resources, too what trade them away? like NE they kept drafting then losing them by trades, yes nice advantage to get value out of the picks but those players never saw the field. its a wasted spot for other players when depth is at a premium. when it becomes more of a need they will make it as priority. let's all take the egomaniacal bug from our rearends and let the Pros do their jobs.. we can judge later.
we dont need a QB or BU qb ..that the answer to the threads question.

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
I am just like where is the curiosity. There is a lot of unknown and lots of good reason to pay attention to minicamp and the preseason.

The games actually should be good. Rush and Grier have been with the club for a couple years and the backup offenses will have a shot. Guys like Waletzko, Farniok, Edoga, Tolbert, Gallup, Davis and all the rookies are going to be must see TV IMO.

Defense is stacked front 7. Fowler, Gallimore, and Bohanna are on your third string line. Clark, Overshown, Cox, and Harper are going to play a lot. Guys like Osa and Golston are going to be rounding into form here in year 3. We're 4 deep at least at S and corner.
Man I have been a Cowboys fan since the Early 70's and I haven't been this excited about TC in a long time.

shabazz

Reaction score
I think he most salient question is are they going to actually change starting quarterbacks in the next four years? If you think the answer is yes I think you’re mistaken. Now I’ll answer your question answer your question, if I wasn’t amused I wouldn’t waste my time. And I suggest you wouldn’t either that’s the nature of the beast.
I’m not looking to necessarily change quarterbacks this season. The point is that drafting a quality backup that has more ability than Rush is just good business.

225 Million Dollars of team salary with just Cooper Rush as insurance is business and football malpractice. They probably couldn’t get an umbrella policy from progressive with this kind of stupidity

And as far as replacing Dakota in the next 4 seasons? How the hell can they when they don’t bring any serious competition or backups here either via draft or FA?

it’s not a Dak issue…..its 100% a FO issue

drawandstrike

Reaction score
We were never changing QB's this season.

Are some people trying to say the draft room should have picked Dak's understudy for 2024/2025?

Because that would make more sense than these posts I'm seeing where Dak is like 13th or 14th best QB in the league and some rookie drafted in the 1st or 2nd this year was gonna waltz into camp and take the starter's job away from him.

Like it or not, its Dak's job for at least one more season. The only way he loses the job in the 2024 season and gets the last year of his contract voided is if he really stinks up the place.

61 career wins vs 36 losses and how many times were were all SCREAMING during many of those losses for the defense to get a stop with the lead in the 4th and watching them give it away?

The QB gets too much of the credit when the team wins and too much of the blame when the team loses. The fact is we wouldn't have even SNIFFED the playoffs last year if the defense hadn't gotten better in a hurry, especially when Dak was out.

Now that Kellen Moore is gone, and McCarthy is calling the plays again [from what I've heard], we'll have to see if this helps or hurts Dak out there. Moore couldn't seem to change up what we were doing enough once the other teams had enough film to scheme it. Dak's not out there calling his own plays; a lot of times the success or defeat in a game rests on who's punching the QB's #'s on the sideline and telling him what to execute.

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
We were never changing QB's this season.

Are some people trying to say the draft room should have picked Dak's understudy for 2024/2025?

Because that would make more sense than these posts I'm seeing where Dak is like 13th or 14th best QB in the league and some rookie drafted in the 1st or 2nd this year was gonna waltz into camp and take the starter's job away from him.

Like it or not, its Dak's job for at least one more season. The only way he loses the job in the 2024 season and gets the last year of his contract voided is if he really stinks up the place.

61 career wins vs 36 losses and how many times were were all SCREAMING during many of those losses for the defense to get a stop with the lead in the 4th and watching them give it away?

The QB gets too much of the credit when the team wins and too much of the blame when the team loses. The fact is we wouldn't have even SNIFFED the playoffs last year if the defense hadn't gotten better in a hurry, especially when Dak was out.

Now that Kellen Moore is gone, and McCarthy is calling the plays again [from what I've heard], we'll have to see if this helps or hurts Dak out there. Moore couldn't seem to change up what we were doing enough once the other teams had enough film to scheme it. Dak's not out there calling his own plays; a lot of times the success or defeat in a game rests on who's punching the QB's #'s on the sideline and telling him what to execute.
You sir are far too logical!!!! Therefore you are banned !!! LOL

Great post

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Personally, I probably would’ve moved on from Will Grier and drafted a QB. He had an opportunity last year and couldn’t beat out Rush. With only three preseason games it’s hard to give 3 young QBs enough reps in preseason. The Brock Purdy affect had a lot of teams taking QBs later in the draft.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
There's literally FA QBs right now that can lead you to the same success Dak leads us to.

We have one playing back up for us right now that can embarrass us in the playoffs just like Dak.

Imagine if the Chiefs didn't trade up for Mahomes because they thought "Ya know, Alex Smith gets us to the playoffs and all we need to do is surround him with even more talent".
Little bit too late to complain now brother, you're going to be complaining all season at least now.
Just focus on what MM does now to take away from Daks decencies, KM could have cared less.