Anthony Brown on new staff: “It’s a totally different environment. like a breath of fresh air”

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I've read that they have been working on lineups that feature all three on the field together.

If you want your best players on the field you would have to. I'd be disappointed if all those three did was share snaps.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garrett and Co. gave them no advantage EVER scheme wise.

When its failure after failure while hearing the same robotic lines over and over, its easy to tune out the voice.

Jerry just wasnt ready to part with his dream scenario until he could no longer sell it to the fanbase.
Could you explain this a little bit to me?

What scheme did we have and what did you expect to have as "advantage"?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I always found it disconcerting that the only person in north America that didn't understand the problem with cowboys was the gm.
AT my small workplace....a guy's dad was friends with the owner. HE retired and left the company to his daughter. This guy was promoted to lab manager with very little skills or detailed knowledge of all the workings. A "lame duck" yes boy nepotism kind of thing.
He doesn't show any leadership or initiative to manage the workplace...or even learn all the things we do. He even laughed at a fellow employee with problems with his project. He misses a TON of time, sometimes half the week or more. On salary to boot.

But executive management can't admit to any inadequacies because it would reflect poorly on their decision. I am sure our COO, an adept and capable boss.... knows....but hands are tied and he was part of the decision.

I am sure Jerry was aware of problems....he just had a hard time facing the mistake. Hoping for some miracle to save his decision. 2016 was a good year but costly in terms of making any changes.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can’t wait to see all of the reactions if we only win 7 games this year. This place would almost be worth paying for!
Hope springs eternal for me.

For you...looks like you are hoping for a 7 win season.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Change, no matter how seemingly minor, will bring some level of hope to a fanbase. It's normal that die hards like posters around here will take a small tinkering like a secondary's coach and build it up as a game changer. This is no different than any other fanbase.

When you have a franchise as dormant as this has been for over a generation now, and especially with the winning tradition this one has, the desire for change will be overwhelming. So when a fanbase is stuck with the same HC for a decade with the franchise going nowhere, the desire for change must be expected.

If the results from MM is no better than Garrett, I'm sure you will enjoy bringing back threads of this fanbase and their excitment for change. But that doesn't make the firing of Garrett and the hiring of McCarthy the wrong move.

The Cowboys can finish 2-14, and getting rid of Garrett would still be the right move
That's what I thought when Jason was fired and MM hired. A rare departure from my anti "change for the sake of change". philosophy.

In this case....a good thing, imho.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Doesn’t mean anything. Every new staff brings a change of scenery and it feels fresh. Plus, everyone feels positive in training camp. If it’s a disciplinarian coach, you’ll hear players talk about how it’s good to get serious. If it’s the opposite, you’ll hear them talk about how it’s good to stay loose. Doesn’t mean a thing, about this staff or the previous one.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I thought it was telling when Coop said "I was tired of just running at the DB and turning around."

This was after he and Dak freelanced a play for a big gain.

We were all tired of watching you do it to.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Make sure you're around when they win 11 or more as well.
The difference between the two in today's NFL isnt

How about bothering to change your game plan based on the opponent?

Attempting to exploit a weakness of the opponent, and adjust to cover your own?

The "scheme," if you can even call it that, was the same no matter what. Line up and beat your man. We do what we do. That nonsense.

They wouldn't as much as attempt to disguise simple coverages.

I could keep going...hope this helped.

kskboys

Reaction score

The "scheme," if you can even call it that, was the same no matter what. Line up and beat your man. We do what we do. That nonsense.

Almost all NFL teams, at times, had someone schemed wide open. We almost never did.

cern

Reaction score
AT my small workplace....a guy's dad was friends with the owner. HE retired and left the company to his daughter. This guy was promoted to lab manager with very little skills or detailed knowledge of all the workings. A "lame duck" yes boy nepotism kind of thing.
He doesn't show any leadership or initiative to manage the workplace...or even learn all the things we do. He even laughed at a fellow employee with problems with his project. He misses a TON of time, sometimes half the week or more. On salary to boot.

But executive management can't admit to any inadequacies because it would reflect poorly on their decision. I am sure our COO, an adept and capable boss.... knows....but hands are tied and he was part of the decision.

I am sure Jerry was aware of problems....he just had a hard time facing the mistake. Hoping for some miracle to save his decision. 2016 was a good year but costly in terms of making any changes.
that's pretty much it in a nutshell. jerry's ego just refused to admit he made a poor choice regarding his hc. probably the most difficult thing stephen had to do these past few years is convince his dad garrett was a big part of the problem. stephen and mcclay put together some exceptional talent for the team. but just had to let garrett fail on his own so jerry could see with his own eyes.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'll answer for @fivetwos with an example.
  • In 2018 the Rams over-achieved with their version of the Zone Running Scheme.
    • They had less overall talent than the Cowboys but crushed the Cowboys in the playoff game with the running scheme.
    • Their OL wasn't really mega-talented.
      • Their LT has a couple of All-Pro selections in his career but he is not close to the level of Tyron Smith (TS voted to the All-Decade team).
      • Their best OG was a very good player but not close to Zack Martin (Saffold 2nd team All-Pro once. ZM All-Pro and Pro Bowl every year of his career).
      • Their other OG was cut by the Vikings within 2 seasons prior to Rams 2018 Super Bowl appearance.
      • Their OC was waived by the Colts the previous season.
    • The Rams racked up 275 yards vs the Cowboys with journeyman RB C.J.Anderson being the leading rusher.
The Rams did it with scheme.
  • They studied the Cowboys defense in great detail and knew each players exact assignments when defending each type of offensive play.
  • The Rams determined that outside zone runs to the side of the Cowboys 1tech DT were a big problem for the Cowboys and several other schemes.
  • The outside zone run has the option to cut back inside.
  • The Rams let the Cowboys take themselves to the outside, then the Rams RB would cut back inside.
  • Once the Cowboys tried to adjust and stay to the inside longer, then the RB would just stay to the outside.
  • The Rams were able to get 2 OL out to block LBs and those blockers only had to impede the LBs from getting back inside or back outside.

The Patriots had been running a base 4-3 similar to the Cowboys base.
  • In the Super Bowl vs the Rams, Belichick made some simple alignment/responsibility adjustments that shut down the Rams running game.
  • The primary change was moving 1 LB from behind the DL over to the outside and up near the line.
  • The change completely screwed up the Rams precision run blocking.
  • The Rams started almost all outside zone runs vs the Cowboys and most other teams to the side of the 1tech DT.
  • In the Super Bowl vs the Pats they rarely started their outside zone runs to that side due to Belichick's adjustment.

cern

Reaction score
    • They had less overall talent than the Cowboys but crushed the Cowboys in the playoff game with the running scheme.
      • Their LT has a couple of All-Pro selections in his career but he is not close to the level of Tyron Smith (TS voted to the All-Decade team).
      • Their best OG was a very good player but not close to Zack Martin (Saffold 2nd team All-Pro once. ZM All-Pro and Pro Bowl every year of his career).
      • Their other OG was cut by the Vikings within 2 seasons prior to Rams 2018 Super Bowl appearance.
    • The Rams racked up 275 yards vs the Cowboys with journeyman RB C.J.Anderson being the leading rusher.
  • They studied the Cowboys defense in great detail and knew each players exact assignments when defending each type of offensive play.
  • The Rams determined that outside zone runs to the side of the Cowboys 1tech DT were a big problem for the Cowboys and several other schemes.
  • The Rams let the Cowboys take themselves to the outside, then the Rams RB would cut back inside.
  • Once the Cowboys tried to adjust and stay to the inside longer, then the RB would just stay to the outside.
  • The Rams were able to get 2 OL out to block LBs and those blockers only had to impede the LBs from getting back inside or back outside.

• In the Super Bowl vs the Rams, Belichick made some simple alignment/responsibility adjustments that shut down the Rams running game.
  • The primary change was moving 1 LB from behind the DL over to the outside and up near the line.
  • The Rams started almost all outside zone runs vs the Cowboys and most other teams to the side of the 1tech DT.
  • In the Super Bowl vs the Pats they rarely started their outside zone runs to that side due to Belichick's adjustment.
damn. that was one outstanding answer. great explanation. even i can get it.

Praxit

Reaction score
...well of course, Big Mike has brought all you can eat coupons to the table. That's some fresh air. ;)..

fivetwos

Reaction score

Ha sorry. Think I was responding to Stash last night and passed out....forgot it was there. Garrett's fault.

Praxit

Reaction score

....good one Xwalker. Its weird how you broke it down, just shows the stink tarnish the team had with Garrett at helm. The Ram game blew me away. I had a feeling the coaches dropped the ball.

MikeB80

Reaction score
....good one Xwalker. Its weird how you broke it down, just shows the stink tarnish the team had with Garrett at helm. The Ram game blew me away. I had a feeling the coaches dropped the ball.

well two more things on that.

Woods was injured early in the game and had to stay in because they had no one else. He was awful Go watch the game. he was getting killed and it made sense with the injury he had.

Two.

This rams team won at new orleans the next week. Belichick is the greatest defensive coach of all time so....

The rams put 378 yards and 26 points up in there win over The saints in the superdome.

(Dont tell me about the PI, the saints got away with a facemask on the rams previous possession that would have resulted in a TD instead of a fg)

they only rushed for 77 yards and threw the ball well but still. The idea that the rams only could beat Dallas because Dallas was so inept is wrong.

Dallas hired the saints linebacker coach on that staff Mike Nolan to run the defense here.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
that's pretty much it in a nutshell. jerry's ego just refused to admit he made a poor choice regarding his hc. probably the most difficult thing stephen had to do these past few years is convince his dad garrett was a big part of the problem. stephen and mcclay put together some exceptional talent for the team. but just had to let garrett fail on his own so jerry could see with his own eyes.

It's a fascinating soap opera with regards to the progression to the point of Garrett being fired and Stephen Jones now making all football decisions with Jerry just retaining veto power.

I think the original hiring of Garrett as HC helped the progression of Stephen Jones to his current status.

The mistake was giving Garrett a new contract after the 2014 season; however, they had let Garrett's contract expire and they had success in 2014 (12-4 and a playoff win).
- It would be rare for any team to not retain the HC after the 2014 season.

With Garrett as HC Jerry was able to back off because he didn't feel challenged and Garrett knew how to deal with Jerry.

That allowed Stephen Jones to gradually take over the reins without Jerry feeling usurped.

If a Parcells type that got a lot of media attention had been the HC then Jerry would have needed to make big moves in order to get more attention for himself.

Stephen Jones likely wouldn't have taken the reins if Jerry was still in the mode of competing for media attention with a head coach.
  • I'm curious (we'll never know) to what extent Stephen Jones helped Garrett to fail.
    • I'm certain that SJ was setting it up in conversions with Jerry that they had to put an expectation on Garrett.
    • SJ wanted to make certain that they had a quality roster to keep that from being an excuse for Garrett.
    • At the same time I think SJ would have pushed for better assistant coaches if he really wanted Garrett to succeed.
    • Kiffin then Marinelli.
    • Allowing Garrett to alienate their best assistant coach (Bill Callahan).
    • The 2019 LB and ST coaching debacles.
    • The co-defensive coordinator debacle of 2019.
    • Keeping the kicker in 2019 well past when any other team would have kept him.
I'm NOT saying that Stephen Jones deliberately set up Garrett to fail.
- I'm saying that he set it up such that if they failed that Jerry would be forced to blame Garrett.
- This includes the way SJ handled media questions about Garrett and the team in Garrett's last 2 or 3 seasons.
- There needed to be overwhelming fan sentiment publicly calling for Garrett to be fired.
- SJ helped fuel that fan sentiment with comments such as "Garrett has not been good enough".

johneric8

Reaction score
Let me give some examples on how and why Big Mike is and has always been a better coach.

1. Did any of you guys ever have a coach, principle in school that you respected and feared, but they also always made it known they cared about you as a person? Well, from everything I've ever read or heard, this is Big Mike. Big Mike has credibility, he knows it, you know it, everyone knows it. This in itself gives him an huge advantage over Garrett.

2. Silver tongued devil. You guys remember Garrett throwing numerous coached and players under the bus, with the first one being Wade Phillips. Garrett got to where he is using his gift of gab to control and secure his positions and was only able to do enough to win because he had exceptional talent. truth be told, just about any coach in the league could of rambled off as many wins as Garrett did year after year. Having said all of that, Garrett never really had respect from his players as a great head coach, nor did he ever have that outside the locker room.

3. Preparedness. There is no comparison to the level of structure that McCarthy brings as opposed to Garrett and this shows on gameday. If you think back to when Big Mike was with the Packers, you always knew he was in control and was not making many mistakes. Big Mike was a coach that always gave his teams a good chance to win schematically. This is something that Garrett never could do.

4. Garrett Sucks.

Good day.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Thanks....awesome answer...exactly what I was looking for!
I get the general concept of having a good game scheme from the beginning...and being adept and flexible enough to change if needed. You provided some very nice detail about it. I have to read it couple times..lol?