Anthony Brown on new staff: “It’s a totally different environment. like a breath of fresh air”

cern

Reaction score
It's a fascinating soap opera with regards to the progression to the point of Garrett being fired and Stephen Jones now making all football decisions with Jerry just retaining veto power.

I think the original hiring of Garrett as HC helped the progression of Stephen Jones to his current status.

The mistake was giving Garrett a new contract after the 2014 season; however, they had let Garrett's contract expire and they had success in 2014 (12-4 and a playoff win).
- It would be rare for any team to not retain the HC after the 2014 season.

With Garrett as HC Jerry was able to back off because he didn't feel challenged and Garrett knew how to deal with Jerry.

That allowed Stephen Jones to gradually take over the reins without Jerry feeling usurped.

If a Parcells type that got a lot of media attention had been the HC then Jerry would have needed to make big moves in order to get more attention for himself.

Stephen Jones likely wouldn't have taken the reins if Jerry was still in the mode of competing for media attention with a head coach.
  • I'm curious (we'll never know) to what extent Stephen Jones helped Garrett to fail.
    • I'm certain that SJ was setting it up in conversions with Jerry that they had to put an expectation on Garrett.
    • SJ wanted to make certain that they had a quality roster to keep that from being an excuse for Garrett.
    • At the same time I think SJ would have pushed for better assistant coaches if he really wanted Garrett to succeed.
    • Kiffin then Marinelli.
    • Allowing Garrett to alienate their best assistant coach (Bill Callahan).
    • The 2019 LB and ST coaching debacles.
    • The co-defensive coordinator debacle of 2019.
    • Keeping the kicker in 2019 well past when any other team would have kept him.
I'm NOT saying that Stephen Jones deliberately set up Garrett to fail.
- I'm saying that he set it up such that if they failed that Jerry would be forced to blame Garrett.
- This includes the way SJ handled media questions about Garrett and the team in Garrett's last 2 or 3 seasons.
- There needed to be overwhelming fan sentiment publicly calling for Garrett to be fired.
- SJ helped fuel that fan sentiment with comments such as "Garrett has not been good enough".
stephen knew garrett was a poor coach. he made it clear during the 2015 season when we were 1-11 after romo was injured. but he simply kept his nose to the grindstone, and along with will mcclay, whom he trusts, brought in talent. then he just sat back and let garrett run the club. he didn't have to do anything else. garrett's poor coaching stood on its own. stephen just had to let jerry see it or himself. jerry couldn't deny the talent was on the field. he was ecstatic over it. but after last season, even jerry couldn't deny the obvious any longer.

Creeper

Reaction score
I was not a fan of Garrett and his staff. It was obvious they did not get the most out of the talent they had on the field. But that does not mean this group is any better - yet. Let's see how they play in a game before we "anoint" anyone. I assume Mike McCarthy is a better coach because it would be a challenge to be worse than the Clapper. But if they look the same after a few games then maybe its the players. We'll see in a few weeks.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
stephen knew garrett was a poor coach. he made it clear during the 2015 season when we were 1-11 after romo was injured. but he simply kept his nose to the grindstone, and along with will mcclay, whom he trusts, brought in talent. then he just sat back and let garrett run the club. he didn't have to do anything else. garrett's poor coaching stood on its own. stephen just had to let jerry see it or himself. jerry couldn't deny the talent was on the field. he was ecstatic over it. but after last season, even jerry couldn't deny the obvious any longer.

SJ was highly unlikely to push Jerry to fire Garrett early in the new contract because SJ does not like to "waste" money.

SJ ended up with getting what he wanted in 2 categories.
- Garrett pushed out.
- No money owed to Garrett.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
We saw these exact same types of comments *every* season under the last coach, too. The only difference then was the responses were “stop talking and just do it” or “then what took them so long to hire the new position coach” instead of the “thank god” responses were getting here.

Don’t make me find an old Kris Richard thread to prove I’m right. That’ll just embarrass a whole lot of posters who thought that guy was a god just because he talked a good game and got in fights in pregame warmups.
Sooo, it's just the same ole song and dance with the Cowboys? :omg:

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Doesn’t mean anything. Every new staff brings a change of scenery and it feels fresh. Plus, everyone feels positive in training camp. If it’s a disciplinarian coach, you’ll hear players talk about how it’s good to get serious. If it’s the opposite, you’ll hear them talk about how it’s good to stay loose. Doesn’t mean a thing, about this staff or the previous one.

I can't recall one player saying the same thing about Garrett. None. The only thing stirring the "red-headed genius" pot was Jerry.

Big_D

Reaction score
I thought it was telling when Coop said "I was tired of just running at the DB and turning around."

This was after he and Dak freelanced a play for a big gain.

Dak, Cooper Beasley Dez TO Brown on and on it goes. Not only their own players but opposing players called out Garrett and Co. too many times to count. Just ridiculous and sad that some actually still defend it. Or think Garrett and McCArthy are comparable.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can't recall one player saying the same thing about Garrett. None. The only thing stirring the "red-headed genius" pot was Jerry.
Saying what? "It's a different environment, he's a breath of fresh air?" Why would they say that about Garrett. That's something you only say about a new coach.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Saying what? "It's a different environment, he's a breath of fresh air?" Why would they say that about Garrett. That's something you only say about a new coach.

Like I said, no one said anything about Garrett " like a breath of fresh air" or made positive comments about him when he was either starting out as a coach or even as an OC. All the positive BS spinning came from Jerry. What don't you understand what I just said?

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Like I said, no one said anything about Garrett " like a breath of fresh air" or made positive comments about him when he was either starting out as a coach or even as an OC. All the positive BS spinning came from Jerry. What don't you understand what I just said?
Players made tons of positive comments about Garrett when he started out, and when he took over as HC.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Players made tons of positive comments about Garrett when he started out, and when he took over as HC.

Like who? Romo and Witten come to mind the most because those are Garrett's favorite.

Redheaded genius was coined by Jerry himself. No player talked about him in that fashion.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Our fans are golden retrievers who act like they’ve seen a ball fake.
I don't even know what that means. If you are watching the player's and coaches' interviews lately, you should be picking up on the positive difference this coaching regime change has made to the players. Player after player is saying they feel better about the player-coach relationship and how they feel more invested in how this team performs. If they disagree with something they feel more empowered to express that disagreement to get a resolution. I like that they feel wanted and belong there. If you aren't keeping up with the interviews then you're not going to pick up on any of that. Now we are going to see if that translates to better football being played on the field. I definitely see how it could.

visionary

Reaction score
I don't even know what that means. If you are watching the player's and coaches' interviews lately, you should be picking up on the positive difference this coaching regime change has made to the players. Player after player is saying they feel better about the player-coach relationship and how they feel more invested in how this team performs. If they disagree with something they feel more empowered to express that disagreement to get a resolution. I like that they feel wanted and belong there. If you aren't keeping up with the interviews then you're not going to pick up on any of that. Now we are going to see if that translates to better football being played on the field. I definitely see how it could.

before engaging with this poster you have to understand that you are speaking to Jason Garrett’s mother

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

He cant even conceive of the possibility that someone could be a better coach than Garrett. Either he doesn't have any respect at all for what a coach can do for a team or he is so enamored by Garrett that he is blind to his shortcomings and his flaws.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
before engaging with this poster you have to understand that you are speaking to Jason Garrett’s mother
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

Honestly he really does defend Garrett like a mother. And heaven forbid anyone compliments Garretts replacement? Wow, it has to be imagined. :lmao2:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
You think Jason Garrett's mother still keeps up with the Cowboys? She might, she still has another son, Judd who is the Dallas Cowboys Director of Pro Scouting. ;)

CWR

Reaction score
Could you explain this a little bit to me?

What scheme did we have and what did you expect to have as "advantage"?

I think the Atlanta game was a good example of a coach floundering. Then the following game he did the exact opposite to the extent of complete predictability, almost as if to tell the world "see this wont work either." I dont know it was an overall scheme issue but details like that were infuriating. How many times did we go into a game where a team had a perceived weakness and we didn't attack it? I don't know if Garrett out smarted himself or if his 90's philosophy of "out executing," and "beat your man" was the greater problem.