Anti-soccer blog post

rkell87

Reaction score
just to kind of get in on hos and ccf argument here, i played WR at 145 in high school, and some of my best friends were soccer players(one is on scholarship). Saturdays i played soccer(great way to condition) with what was basically the best players in the city because it was most of the high school team vs. club players. i had never played soccer before and really didn't understand the game but i could hang with the best we had, i scored a number of times, and never got faked out(really how are you going to fake someone with feet if you watch the ball?). i had to work my *** off as hard as i could every day to remain competitive in football but had no problem in soccer.

those citing the linemen in football cant hang, it is just an asinine argument, but if you want to go with it ask yourself this... if you put a bunch of the best soccer players at football skill positions such as WR,DB,RB and switch the corresponding skill player and put them on the soccer field, which set of players do you think will have more success in the foreign sport? id wager anything that elite football players could learn the new game and have more success than their counterpart learning football.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
rkell87;3438497 said:
just to kind of get in on hos and ccf argument here, i played WR at 145 in high school, and some of my best friends were soccer players(one is on scholarship). Saturdays i played soccer(great way to condition) with what was basically the best players in the city because it was most of the high school team vs. club players. i had never played soccer before and really didn't understand the game but i could hang with the best we had, i scored a number of times, and never got faked out(really how are you going to fake someone with feet if you watch the ball?). i had to work my *** off as hard as i could every day to remain competitive in football but had no problem in soccer.

those citing the linemen in football cant hang, it is just an asinine argument, but if you want to go with it ask yourself this... if you put a bunch of the best soccer players at football skill positions such as WR,DB,RB and switch the corresponding skill player and put them on the soccer field, which set of players do you think will have more success in the foreign sport? id wager anything that elite football players could learn the new game and have more success than their counterpart learning football.

Well of course but the NFL is far and away one of the most complex sports.

Soccer does have guys that have the athleticism that would easily translate into the NFL though.

rkell87

Reaction score
CATCH17;3438511 said:
Well of course but the NFL is far and away one of the most complex sports.

Soccer does have guys that have the athleticism that would easily translate into the NFL though.
i agree but my point is that i think more nfl players could transition to soccer and be somewhat successful than soccer players could into football which speaks volumes considering how many more pro soccer players there are compared to nfl players.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
rkell87;3438573 said:
i agree but my point is that i think more nfl players could transition to soccer and be somewhat successful than soccer players could into football which speaks volumes considering how many more pro soccer players there are compared to nfl players.

The drama queen and flopping crap would never fly in the NFL.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
rkell87;3438573 said:

You got a lot of guys that have to be a different physical structure though.

Your really limited to RB's WR's and DB's as the types of positions where soccer players would translate.

rkell87

Reaction score
CATCH17;3438730 said:
You got a lot of guys that have to be a different physical structure though.

Your really limited to RB's WR's and DB's as the types of positions where soccer players would translate.
which is why i limited those to the ones that would translate to soccer as well even though some QBs and TEs, maybe even some athletic LBs could do ok in soccer too.

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
So you are basing this theory strictly on your experience in a pickup game with "with what was basically the best players in the city"? Your personal anecdote does not prove your point. Congratulations on being better suited to soccer than football. I imagine most athletes who are 145lbs would also be better suited to soccer. I beat a few black dudes at basketball the other day so white boys should dominate the NBA, amirite!?!

The entire US squad has three players (two goalies and one defender) above 200 lbs while the Cowboys starting roster has two guys under 200 lbs (Newman and Jenkins). The US squad has 7 guys (out of 23) below 5'10" while the entire Cowboys roster is 5'10" or above.

Short and light does not translate to the NFL. It is a given that most soccer players cannot play in the NFL strictly based on their size limitations. I have no problem believing that given proper training and conditioning, those players who do measure up in size could be successful.

daschoo

Slanje Va
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;3438668 said:

20 years ago people would have said the same about soccer. i really hope you're right but things that seem completely alien now won't necesarilly remain so.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Soccer would be more entertaining if they played 7 on 8 the whole game, each team getting a half w/ the advantage.

And/or playing w/ walls instead if sidelines so you can bank passes off the wall and dont have to deal w/ the inbounds stuff.

daschoo

Slanje Va
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3438819 said:
Soccer would be more entertaining if they played 7 on 8 the whole game, each team getting a half w/ the advantage.

And/or playing w/ walls instead if sidelines so you can bank passes off the wall and dont have to deal w/ the inbounds stuff.

how about having the nets move up and down on a tennis court? a series of two minute drills alternating the attacking team replacing standard games in the nfl? bigger goals in hockey should mean we see more scores. how about allowing contact in the 100m? all of those changes potentially make their respective sport more appealing to the casual fan

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
daschoo;3438829 said:
how about having the nets move up and down on a tennis court? a series of two minute drills alternating the attacking team replacing standard games in the nfl? bigger goals in hockey should mean we see more scores. how about allowing contact in the 100m? all of those changes potentially make their respective sport more appealing to the casual fan

Id make it so if the ball stops moving it explodes.

So w/ that, the bank shots off the wall, and the 7 on 8 it should get pretty exciting for Americans. W/O Americans on board this Soccer thing doesnt stand a chance

Coy

Reaction score
daschoo;3438829 said:

:lmao2: Now that would be awsome.

UKCowboysFan

Reaction score
Yeagermeister;3438668 said:

Really, we have already seen Brady & Favre falling down dramatically after very little contact to draw flags from the officials.

With the way that QB's are protected now the league need to be careful that it doesn't creep into the game more & more.

Even Rugby had a problem last year with a player from one of the teams faking a blood injury (using one of those blood capsules) so that a replacement could be brought on.

If players can cheat and get away with it they will, and the diving & faking is just another way of cheating

rkell87

Reaction score
Cythim;3438805 said:
So you are basing this theory strictly on your experience in a pickup game with "with what was basically the best players in the city"? Your personal anecdote does not prove your point. Congratulations on being better suited to soccer than football. I imagine most athletes who are 145lbs would also be better suited to soccer. I beat a few black dudes at basketball the other day so white boys should dominate the NBA, amirite!?!

The entire US squad has three players (two goalies and one defender) above 200 lbs while the Cowboys starting roster has two guys under 200 lbs (Newman and Jenkins). The US squad has 7 guys (out of 23) below 5'10" while the entire Cowboys roster is 5'10" or above.

Short and light does not translate to the NFL. It is a given that most soccer players cannot play in the NFL strictly based on their size limitations. I have no problem believing that given proper training and conditioning, those players who do measure up in size could be successful.
yes but it wasnt really a pick up game, it was highschool team vs. club players i just filled in. yes i was most likely better suited for soccer but i trained my butt off to be the best football player i could be, and held my own but was considered over all to be average, but playing soccer having no experience i should have been way over matched but wasnt. i think it does prove my point on a small scale. i do agree with your last paragraph though. but on the flip side i believe nfl players even ones that dont fit the soccer player mold could transition to soccer better than those soccer players that fit the an nfl mold

rkell87

Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3438834 said:
Id make it so if the ball stops moving it explodes.

So w/ that, the bank shots off the wall, and the 7 on 8 it should get pretty exciting for Americans. W/O Americans on board this Soccer thing doesnt stand a chance

i would so watch that

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
UKCowboysFan;3439213 said:
Really, we have already seen Brady & Favre falling down dramatically after very little contact to draw flags from the officials.

With the way that QB's are protected now the league need to be careful that it doesn't creep into the game more & more.

Even Rugby had a problem last year with a player from one of the teams faking a blood injury (using one of those blood capsules) so that a replacement could be brought on.

If players can cheat and get away with it they will, and the diving & faking is just another way of cheating

if you ain't cheating, you ain't trying

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
this thread has more views than the World "cheat the USA out of a win cause they payed the ref off" Cup thread.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
What is this Socker thing you all speak of?