Anti-soccer blog post

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
nyc;3441589 said:
If the US didn't make it to the next round, viewer-ship would drop like a rock too.

Not bashing Soccer. I actually like it and played for three years as a kid. I will say this, it's not a sport I look for on TV to watch though. Not that it couldn't be, it's just the level of competition in the US just isn't there like it is over the rest of the world.

If Soccer were bigger in the US, the US team would be much better than it is. Most of the best athletes in the US play American Football, Baseball, Basketball, and Hockey for a few reasons. The sport is bigger, and there is a hell of a lot more money to be made in those sports.

Soccer takes a lot of unnecessary hate. It's a pretty good sport. It's just not American football. (althought Amercian Football is a direct descendant of Soccer)

I thought American Football was a descendant of Rugby. Dang, I learn something on Cbz every day.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Arch Stanton;3441601 said:
I thought American Football was a descendant of Rugby. Dang, I learn something on Cbz every day.

It is. Soccer used to allow you to use your hands. When they changed the rules so you couldn't. Some people that didn't want the change decided to make a new sport. Rugby was born. Rugby came to the US and transformed into American Football.

They all started with Soccer and now they are three different sports.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
nyc;3441589 said:
If the US didn't make it to the next round, viewer-ship would drop like a rock too.

Not bashing Soccer. I actually like it and played for three years as a kid. I will say this, it's not a sport I look for on TV to watch though. Not that it couldn't be, it's just the level of competition in the US just isn't there like it is over the rest of the world.

If Soccer were bigger in the US, the US team would be much better than it is. Most of the best athletes in the US play American Football, Baseball, Basketball, and Hockey for a few reasons. The sport is bigger, and there is a hell of a lot more money to be made in those sports.

Soccer takes a lot of unnecessary hate. It's a pretty good sport. It's just not American football. (althought Amercian Football is a direct descendant of Soccer)

I agree. What is holding the ratings high is the US team if they are bumped out the viewership will drop like a rock. The MLS is not a very high TV rating, Houston Dynamo is a pretty good team yet does not draw as the other pro sports teams in town. Even In Last place Houston Astros are drawing bigger crowds. It is not a knock but soccer is just not a big sport here in the US

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Cythim;3441567 said:
I haven't seen one comment here saying why soccer sucks that cannot be applied to most sports or isn't blantantly false. Some people want to hate just because they are not interested in it.

There's no "right or wrong" here. You either like soccer or you don't. My reasons don't have to make sense to you.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
bbgun;3441617 said:
There's no "right or wrong" here. You either like soccer or you don't. My reasons don't have to make sense to you.

But you reason is blantantly false. :laugh2:

juck

Reaction score
Cythim;3441567 said:
I haven't seen one comment here saying why soccer sucks that cannot be applied to most sports or isn't blantantly false. Some people want to hate just because they are not interested in it.

The haters will change with a win or two more for the States.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
juck;3441643 said:

I hope the US can win more games, heck I would love to see the US win the cup as unlikely as that seems. If able to watch the US on TV I will but when it is all over with so too will the interest of soccer. MLS has been around for a while and just do not draw much attention from US sports fans.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
juck;3441643 said:

Just like that women's WC championship a few years ago, right? Right.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
bbgun;3441647 said:
Just like that women's WC championship a few years ago, right? Right.

Mia Hamm made a good name for herself but you are right the interst was short lived.

Only way I could see Soccer being a bigger sport here in the US is if or when other pro sports price their out fans

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
tecolote;3441346 said:
To the guys that hate soccer.

You will never know what you just missed. Your 11 guys on the field are all heart and guts, they never say die, you should be proud.
It literally means nothing to me. Heck, I don't even know what you are talking about.

juck;3441478 said:
Dont cheer for ur country then because they just advanced and are rolling. GO USA!
I'm not cheering for them. I don't even know who they are.

Cythim;3441567 said:
That is your opinion. No reason any of us give will ever satisfy you. There's a World Cup thread that I am not infecting with my negative opinions. Pity you can't say the same.

bbgun;3441617 said:
High 5.
juck;3441643 said:
:lmao2:

Oh wait, you were serious.

:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

tecolote

Reaction score
Hostile;3441693 said:
It literally means nothing to me. Heck, I don't even know what you are talking about.

Hence, you will never know what you just missed.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
why can't soccer fans just accept the fact that some people don't like soccer?

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Rampage;3441713 said:

It's like doing a 1,000 piece puzzle and finding out one piece is missing. The US is that missing piece.

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;3441693 said:
That is your opinion. No reason any of us give will ever satisfy you. There's a World Cup thread that I am not infecting with my negative opinions. Pity you can't say the same.

It's a pity you feel a need to pretend you are on some kind of higher level than me because of the discussions you choose to participate in. This is a discussion about anti-soccer sentiments and I am participating with an opposing view. It is a pity you try to scare off those who oppose you instead of being open minded toward the discussion at hand. I guess it is just easier to turn up your nose and cut people down than try to understand why someone else might not feel the same way as you.

I guess this is why I hate soccer haters.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Cythim;3441727 said:
It's a pity you feel a need to pretend you are on some kind of higher level than me because of the discussions you choose to participate in. This is a discussion about anti-soccer sentiments and I am participating with an opposing view. It is a pity you try to scare off those who oppose you instead of being open minded toward the discussion at hand. I guess it is just easier to turn up your nose and cut people down than try to understand why someone else might not feel the same way as you.

I guess this is why I hate soccer haters.
Thank heavens, an admission. Please hate me for hating soccer and leave me alone. You will never convert me. Thank you. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate you just admitting that.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
Rampage;3441713 said:

Why can't non-soccer fans just accept that some people do?
If I'm not mistaken the initial topic of this thread is an anti-soccer rant.

tecolote

Reaction score
Hostile;3441722 said:
I'm okay with that amigo. I really am.

I know you are Hos, not trying to convert anybody.

Just know you are being represented by a bunch of warriors. Forget soccer, the world is amazed by the mental fortitude of the US squad. They never say die, it's amazing to watch.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
vta;3441730 said:
Why can't non-soccer fans just accept that some people do?
If I'm not mistaken the initial topic of this thread is an anti-soccer rant.
I do. I have not posted one snide comment in their World Cup thread. I don't even read it and roll my eyes. Bless them and may they have joy in their tournament.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
tecolote;3441699 said:
Hence, you will never know what you just missed.

That is where you are wrong I missed nothing important see how that works pretty darn easy.