Anti-soccer blog post

DallasDomination

Reaction score
Soccer is the most popular sport in the world and it's not even close. People that hate on it just look silly.

rkell87

Reaction score
DallasDomination;3441080 said:
Soccer is the most popular sport in the world and it's not even close. People that hate on it just look silly.

who cares. it isnt the most popular in the u.s. and its for a reason

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
In your opinion they look silly. I think they look brilliant.

daschoo

Slanje Va
Reaction score

don't agree with that. aussie rules is popular in australia, nascar is popular, basketball is popular globally. i don't like any of them. people that hate soccer because its popular, or for crazy reasons that aren't actually true yes look foolish but people who find it boring not so much.

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
I do respect all different opinions and have no problem with everyone expressing their thoughts. But since this WC started in many boards in U.S. and on TV and radio people are going crazy, making fun and jokes of football (U.S. soccer) which made me feel they are all just feel threatened by the sport growing popularity here where it might take on American Football and B'ball etc. (Which I don't think it's gonna ever happen so calm down)

RELAX everyone. enjoy the event. If you like football enjoy it, if you don't then don't tune in (ESPN will do everything to "hype matches" and convince non-football fans to tune in and watch.)

I used to look at cricket and laugh, same for baseball. But when I spoke to friends (from India, and american for baseball) i realized I don't know the sport as they do (The history, superstars, mechanics of how tournaments and matches are approached by teams, who is top dog, who is under dog) all these aspects help one understand and appreciate a sport.
I remember when I was a kid I used to laugh at american football, I was saying no way I could sit down and watch such "dumb" thing (Where is the foot in the game was a laughing thing). My cousin, a BIG COWBOY FAN, started sitting with me playing some recorded matches he had and explained to me the logic, with some history, big players, coaches, etc and that helped me get to understand it and like it eventually and become the fan i am now.
If you are not willing to give it a shot and spend time to start digesting Football, then let the people enjoy it and go watch your sport.
No one asked America to love Football, FIFA is the richest sports association in the world, more than IOC even and they don't care that much if america loves Football or not.

Try to ENJOY it people
:cool:

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Rampage;3439808 said:
this thread has more views than the World "cheat the USA out of a win cause they payed the ref off" Cup thread.

Soccer fans don't like to be told that they're wasting their time.

tecolote

Reaction score
To the guys that hate soccer.

You will never know what you just missed. Your 11 guys on the field are all heart and guts, they never say die, you should be proud.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
bbgun;3432273 said:
Well, yes and no. As a baseball fan, I can enjoy a stellar 0-0 pitcher's duel, but I wouldn't want to make a habit of it.

I wouldn't exactly say I would enjoy it, but I would be glad I got to see it.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
tecolote;3441346 said:
To the guys that hate soccer.

You will never know what you just missed. Your 11 guys on the field are all heart and guts, they never say die, you should be proud.

Of course I'm proud of them. If my nephew won a chess tournament, I'd be proud of him too. Doesn't make chess any less boring, however.

juck

Reaction score
Hostile;3441123 said:
In your opinion they look silly. I think they look brilliant.
Dont cheer for ur country then because they just advanced and are rolling. GO USA!

reddyuta

Reaction score
bbgun;3441462 said:
Of course I'm proud of them. If my nephew won a chess tournament, I'd be proud of him too. Doesn't make chess any less boring, however.

how can chess be boring?????.do you mean its boring to watch?

tecolote

Reaction score
bbgun;3441462 said:

Good for you.

Coy

Reaction score
rkell87;3441115 said:
who cares. it isnt the most popular in the u.s. and its for a reason

It might not be and probably never will but like it or not it´s catching on and it’s for a reason. So to make my point clear, somebody does care. ;)

http://livefeed.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/06/world-cup-ratings-double-.html

World Cup ratings double among U.S. viewers
For the first five matches of the World Cup, viewership has doubled from four years ago.

ESPN and ABC are averaging 4.9 million viewers per round -- up a whopping 108% from the first five games of the 2006 World Cup.

In addition, Saturday's first-round match of the FIFA World Cup was the most-watched opening match and most-viewed United States match since 1994, when North American teams were also playing in early rounds.

The two-hour U.S. vs. England game on ABC drew 13 million viewers and a 7.3 household rating. Another 3.8 million watched on the Spanish-language Univision network. The overall three-hour telecast (including an hour of pre-match coverage) ranks fifth for U.S. viewers -- behind three World Cup finals and a '94 U.S. vs Brazil match.

“The 2010 FIFA World Cup is off to a tremendous start for ESPN,” said John Skipper, ESPN executive vp, content. “Strong viewership on television and other platforms – including the best first round rating in 16 years – and the overwhelmingly positive reaction we are receiving from fans demonstrate the enormous popularity of this global sports event and how ESPN is uniquely positioned to cover it.”

San Diego, San Francisco and Las Vegas had the heaviest viewer interest in the game.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
mgcowboy;3441233 said:
I do respect all different opinions and have no problem with everyone expressing their thoughts. But since this WC started in many boards in U.S. and on TV and radio people are going crazy, making fun and jokes of football (U.S. soccer) which made me feel they are all just feel threatened by the sport growing popularity here where it might take on American Football and B'ball etc. (Which I don't think it's gonna ever happen so calm down)

RELAX everyone. enjoy the event. If you like football enjoy it, if you don't then don't tune in (ESPN will do everything to "hype matches" and convince non-football fans to tune in and watch.)

I used to look at cricket and laugh, same for baseball. But when I spoke to friends (from India, and american for baseball) i realized I don't know the sport as they do (The history, superstars, mechanics of how tournaments and matches are approached by teams, who is top dog, who is under dog) all these aspects help one understand and appreciate a sport.
I remember when I was a kid I used to laugh at american football, I was saying no way I could sit down and watch such "dumb" thing (Where is the foot in the game was a laughing thing). My cousin, a BIG COWBOY FAN, started sitting with me playing some recorded matches he had and explained to me the logic, with some history, big players, coaches, etc and that helped me get to understand it and like it eventually and become the fan i am now.
If you are not willing to give it a shot and spend time to start digesting Football, then let the people enjoy it and go watch your sport.
No one asked America to love Football, FIFA is the richest sports association in the world, more than IOC even and they don't care that much if america loves Football or not.

Try to ENJOY it people
:cool:

There is nothing to enjoy about the Sport a bunch a people jogging around celebrating a tie like it is a major victory. yea that is compelling watching very few shots on cage/goal what ever their is very little excitement even in most 1-1 games or 0-0 games unlike a pitchers duel in baseball every pitch matters and the outcome changes instantly on one bad pitch. Hockey is fast paced and can change in a blink of the eye and it has sudden death overtime. Truthfully hockey got better when it eliminated the 2 line pass rule and opened up the scoring and made the game more free flowing.

Why do you assume we know nothing about the sport a lot of people played it as kids and have a fundamental understanding of the sport but it still is boring.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I did watch the USA game today and have to admit it was entertaining but man soccer really is for sissies. All the flopping and crying every time someone touches a player is a huge turn off. It is painful to watch in the NBA and 10x worse in soccer. Plus what is up with a game where you can have 4 players 5 feet from the goal and still have an off sides, kind of stupid rule if you ask me.

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
I haven't seen one comment here saying why soccer sucks that cannot be applied to most sports or isn't blantantly false. Some people want to hate just because they are not interested in it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Coy;3441515 said:
It might not be and probably never will but like it or not it´s catching on and it’s for a reason. So to make my point clear, somebody does care. ;)

http://livefeed.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/06/world-cup-ratings-double-.html

World Cup ratings double among U.S. viewers
For the first five matches of the World Cup, viewership has doubled from four years ago.

ESPN and ABC are averaging 4.9 million viewers per round -- up a whopping 108% from the first five games of the 2006 World Cup.

In addition, Saturday's first-round match of the FIFA World Cup was the most-watched opening match and most-viewed United States match since 1994, when North American teams were also playing in early rounds.

The two-hour U.S. vs. England game on ABC drew 13 million viewers and a 7.3 household rating. Another 3.8 million watched on the Spanish-language Univision network. The overall three-hour telecast (including an hour of pre-match coverage) ranks fifth for U.S. viewers -- behind three World Cup finals and a '94 U.S. vs Brazil match.

“The 2010 FIFA World Cup is off to a tremendous start for ESPN,” said John Skipper, ESPN executive vp, content. “Strong viewership on television and other platforms – including the best first round rating in 16 years – and the overwhelmingly positive reaction we are receiving from fans demonstrate the enormous popularity of this global sports event and how ESPN is uniquely positioned to cover it.”

San Diego, San Francisco and Las Vegas had the heaviest viewer interest in the game.

Not a surprise. It is the world cup and much like the Olympics they draw a heavy viewership. I doubt most American watch much women’s figure skating yet every 4 years at the Olympics it is a very big TV draw

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3441569 said:
Not a surprise. It is the world cup and much like the Olympics they draw a heavy viewership. I doubt most American watch much women’s figure skating yet every 4 years at the Olympics it is a very big TV draw

If the US didn't make it to the next round, viewer-ship would drop like a rock too.

Not bashing Soccer. I actually like it and played for three years as a kid. I will say this, it's not a sport I look for on TV to watch though. Not that it couldn't be, it's just the level of competition in the US just isn't there like it is over the rest of the world.

If Soccer were bigger in the US, the US team would be much better than it is. Most of the best athletes in the US play American Football, Baseball, Basketball, and Hockey for a few reasons. The sport is bigger, and there is a hell of a lot more money to be made in those sports.

Soccer takes a lot of unnecessary hate. It's a pretty good sport. It's just not American football. (althought Amercian Football is a direct descendant of Soccer)