Anti-soccer blog post

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Seriously, I just don't think anyone should really attempt to argue about any sports over any others. They are all athletic competitions, and we should be proud of that.

I could think of quite a few instances in football that royally piss me off, particularly when WRs fail to make a catch and whine for a flag, making that "pull-the-flag-out-of-my-pants" motion. Get your *** back in the huddle! I hate it when someone runs for a 6 yard first down and gets up and acts like they just climbed Mt. Sinai when they're down by two touchdowns, too.

I hate it in baseball when people don't run out to 1st base.

I hate it in basketball when guys make obvious fouls and then act like they were so far away from the action they were sitting at home on their couch when the foul was called.

I hate it in soccer when guys flop after obvious no-contact events.

I hate how they let guys fight in hockey.

There are elements of each sport that I hate, but I'm not going to flame someone else just because they like one sport better than the other. As far as I'm concerned, just when talking about soccer, anyone that can run around for 90+ minutes without timeouts and only a 10-15 minute halftime is a pretty good athlete to me, regardless if it isn't as "manly" as watching a bunch of guys run around in spandex grab and jump all over eachother.

/devil's advocate

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;3445310 said:
What a completely ignorant comment. It is irrelevant to the purpose of the thread in the first place. Second it shows a complete lack of grasp for the game of football and the strategy of using the clock and downs and distance.

Cheating? Pathetic comment.

Your reply is completely ignorant as well. I was illistrating a point that from the outside looking in different aspects of a game can seem pathetic. American football has some strategy that can seem shady from a casual observer just as soccer, basketball and baseball do. It is all subjective and up to the opinion of the viewer.

bbgun;3445320 said:
What does any of this have to do with soccer players faking injuries? True, NFL players used to pull similar stunts to stop the clock late in the game, but the league (wisely) put an end to that kind of gamesmanship by depriving teams of timeouts.

Right, but they still try to fake penalties. Just about every down someone is asking a ref to throw a flag. QBs, kickers and WRs are the worst about it. Don't try to pretend it is not a part of your favorite sport as well.

And for the record soccer has ways of dealing with it as well, from penalties to added time.

rkell87

Reaction score
so ive been thinking about the post by hostile saying that soccer fans are proud that the players run 4 miles during a match.

lets think about this... the average person can walk 1 mile at average pace in 15 minutes. a slow walk can get you a mile in twenty minutes, if you took P.E. in highschool you most likely had to walk around the track. a twenty minute mile is one lap every [/B]5[/B] minutes! so add that all up to 4 miles that is 80 minutes so they have ten minutes to spare.

now im sure some players run a little farther but still im not too impressed...

but what does impress me is that the linemen in a football game produce 32 million joules of energy in impact force during a game and that is enough to launch 160 pounds 28 miles in the air.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Cythim;3445949 said:
Your reply is completely ignorant as well. I was illistrating a point that from the outside looking in different aspects of a game can seem pathetic. American football has some strategy that can seem shady from a casual observer just as soccer, basketball and baseball do. It is all subjective and up to the opinion of the viewer.
I don't give two hoots in hell about casual observers of football. Let me demonstrate for you how much those opinions mean. Get a bucket of water. Put your arm in as far as you can. Pull it out. Look back at the hole left in the water. That hole in the water represents my level of care.

rkell87

Reaction score
btw...to the guy trying to argue rugby hits vs football watch this video...

[youtube]hBNo1jj1h54[/youtube]

go ahead and skip to the 2 minute mark and tell me you have seen hits like that in rugby, then tell me the QB without pads wouldnt be close to, if not dead, then go look up sport science clip on rugby hits so you can see its not even close

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
rkell87;3445955 said:
so ive been thinking about the post by hostile saying that soccer fans are proud that the players run 4 miles during a match.

lets think about this... the average person can walk 1 mile at average pace in 15 minutes. a slow walk can get you a mile in twenty minutes, if you took P.E. in highschool you most likely had to walk around the track. a twenty minute mile is one lap every [/b]5[/b] minutes! so add that all up to 4 miles that is 80 minutes so they have ten minutes to spare.

now im sure some players run a little farther but still im not too impressed...

but what does impress me is that the linemen in a football game produce 32 million joules of energy in impact force during a game and that is enough to launch 160 pounds 28 miles in the air.

It is actually 6 miles with an average heartrate of 160 bpm. I'm not asking you to be impressed but they are doing quite a bit more than just powerwalking out there.

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;3445956 said:
I don't give two hoots in hell about casual observers of football. Let me demonstrate for you how much those opinions mean. Get a bucket of water. Put your arm in as far as you can. Pull it out. Look back at the hole left in the water. That hole in the water represents my level of care.

I love how you explode when someone owns you in an arguement :laugh1:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Cythim;3445970 said:
I love how you explode when someone owns you in an arguement :laugh1:
I love how you think you owned me in an argument.

rkell87

Reaction score
Cythim;3445969 said:
It is actually 6 miles with an average heartrate of 160 bpm. I'm not asking you to be impressed but they are doing quite a bit more than just powerwalking out there.

thats still a 15 minute mile, which is a mild jog, which we all knew was the case anyway.

and you have not come close to owning anyone in this thread

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
Cythim;3445969 said:

Actually, they're potentially do less than power walking. Power walking usually covers around 4-4.25 miles per hour. So your soccer guys are doing about that.

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
rkell87;3445973 said:
thats still a 15 minute mile, which is a mild jog, which we all knew was the case anyway.

and you have not come close to owning anyone in this thread

rkell87;3445976 said:
http://www.thewalkingsite.com/faq.html

average fitness walking pace is a 15 minute mile according to site provided

SaltwaterServr;3445989 said:
Actually, they're potentially do less than power walking. Power walking usually covers around 4-4.25 miles per hour. So your soccer guys are doing about that.

When I say they are doing quite a bit more than power walking I mean that they are actually playing a game versus just going out for a stroll. The distance covered on the field is just one of the athletic aspects of the game. If you consider the heartrates I provided and not just the distance you would know that soccer players are completing the 6 miles at the anaerobic level (like you find with competitve runners) versus the aerobic level (like you find with fitness walkers).

daschoo

Slanje Va
Reaction score
as someone who has played the game all my life and who has also gone jogging there's no comparison. you try running 60 yards at full speed to support an attack only for it to break down and the defence play a long ball clear. you now need to immediately turn and run maybe 80 yards again at full speed, judge a challenge to take the ball but not the man and once you have the ball pick out a pass and then get forward to support the attack you have just started.
to compare it to power walking is ridiculous.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
You guys should just give it up. They are both sports and they both require physical exertion of different types. Soccer requires more of a marathon type fitness and American football requires a more explosive oriented fitness that is based on strength and power.

Which explains why most soccer players are 5'7 160lbs and *most* Amercian football players are at least 6' and their weight *usually* starts around 205lbs.

Who probably burns more energy during a game. I would say American football. Not because they run further or faster, but because they exert more energy in short burst and doing so with far more weight than your normal soccer player does. Not only that, lineman not only move their own weight, but meet 300+lbs of muscled resistance also pushing the exact opposite direction.

Still, this is a dumb argument. It's like arguing who works harder. A construction worker doing physical labor school teacher. They both bust ***, they just do it differently.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
nyc;3446094 said:
You guys should just give it up. They are both sports and they both require physical exertion of different types. Soccer requires more of a marathon type fitness and American football requires a more explosive oriented fitness that is based on strength and power.

Which explains why most soccer players are 5'7 160lbs and *most* Amercian football players are at least 6' and their weight *usually* starts around 205lbs.

Who probably burns more energy during a game. I would say American football. Not because they run further or faster, but because they exert more energy in short burst and doing so with far more weight than your normal soccer player does. Not only that, lineman not only move their own weight, but meet 300+lbs of muscled resistance also pushing the exact opposite direction.

Still, this is a dumb argument. It's like arguing who works harder. A construction worker doing physical labor school teacher. They both bust ***, they just do it differently.

good post

Doomsday101

Reaction score
nyc;3446094 said:

I hurt myself just reading this. Oh my god I'm a soccer player. :lmao: