Anti-soccer blog post

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3433567 said:
Trival to you the people calling the game have no clear cut ideal when the game is over the viewer doesn't. In the end soccer does not have to encourage those who watch soccer to tune in you guys will anyways newer viewer less likely it is a boring as hell game to start with

What?:confused:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
daschoo;3433557 said:
a half lasts 45 minutes. time is added on for when the game is stopped for injuries, substitutions or time wasting at the referees discretion. why does it make no sense? because thats what you're used to? in american football there isn't any "if you run out of time you run out of time." so long as you get the play away before the clock runs down you finish the play much like a soccer ref won't blow for time if a team is in a potential goalscoring position.

Then post the time so people know exactly how much time there is. I doubt football fans would like it if unknown amount of time was on the clock that only the refs knew for sure what was left.

Sorry it is stupid to have a game with a clock and yet it is left to the refs only to know how much time exactly remains.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3433468 said:
Sorry it makes no sense for no one except the refs to know how much time is left in a game. You run out of time then you run out of time

That is not how it works.

They hold up big signs telling you how much time is left; it is not some big mystery.

It isn't that much different from football where the clock could be zero but the play still goes til the whistle blows and you can't end a game on a defensive penalty.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
jterrell;3433587 said:
That is not how it works.

They hold up big signs telling you how much time is left; it is not some big mystery.

It isn't that much different from football where the clock could be zero but the play still goes til the whistle blows and you can't end a game on a defensive penalty.

football the game does not contine as soon as the play is over. In the end I could really careless it is a boring game and while things like the World Cup is special and gets the deserved attention after it is over most american sports fans do not pay much attention to it. It is like Olympic sports every 4 years people will watch events they normally pass over as they find something else to watch.

daschoo

Slanje Va
Reaction score
so its stupid and a major problem until people point out your argument doesn't really stack up and then your point all along was really that its a boring game anyway. why exactly is it a problem for you not knowing how many seconds are left anyway?
i really don't understand why people feel the need to be so vocal about things they don't like (i do the same myself)
if you don't like it don't watch it

Doomsday101

Reaction score
daschoo;3433607 said:
so its stupid and a major problem until people point out your argument doesn't really stack up and then your point all along was really that its a boring game anyway. why exactly is it a problem for you not knowing how many seconds are left anyway?
i really don't understand why people feel the need to be so vocal about things they don't like (i do the same myself)
if you don't like it don't watch it

Did you notice this was an anti soccer thread? I guess not. I have watched some of the game and yet the annoucer do not know exactly how much time is left. Why asking can't they show an exact time that is left in the game is such a bad thing I don't know. Why is it important to know how much time is left? I guess because like any other sport that uses a clock to play the game what they show as time remaining is what time if left you are not having to guess when the refs will blow the whistle. What I do not is you are a soccer fan and will defend any rule because you think it is so great.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
The problem with saying low scoring games in soccer make the game exciting because the next goal could decide it is there are almost ZERO shots on goal through out the game. I dont see how that can be exciting. The game on today is 0-0 with 2 minutes left and there have been a TOTAL of 3 shots on goal, 2 of them were weak efforts that had no shot at going in. That is lame!

daschoo

Slanje Va
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3433610 said:
Did you notice this was an anti soccer thread? I guess not. I have watched some of the game and yet the annoucer do not know exactly how much time is left. Why asking can't they show an exact time that is left in the game is such a bad thing I don't know. Why is it important to know how much time is left? I guess because like any other sport that uses a clock to play the game what they show as time remaining is what time if left you are not having to guess when the refs will blow the whistle. What I do not is you are a soccer fan and will defend any rule because you think it is so great.

yes i noticed its an anti-soccer thread, hence why i haven't come on going on about how good the sport is. you're entitled to your opinion, i'm not going to agree with it but thats ok because thats my opinion.
a half lasts 45 minutes and then the fourth official comes out with a board indicating how long the referee has decided to add on for stoppages. i'm just genuinly wondering why you think this is such a majorly flawed system.
for the record theres plenty of laws i wouldn't defend because i don't agree with them, the offside rule is to open to interpretation regarding whether a player is interfering with play and defenders "shielding the ball" as it goes out for a goal kick would be a foul for obstruction anywhere else on the pitch but is never given in that situation.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
daschoo;3433617 said:
yes i noticed its an anti-soccer thread, hence why i haven't come on going on about how good the sport is. you're entitled to your opinion, i'm not going to agree with it but thats ok because thats my opinion.
a half lasts 45 minutes and then the fourth official comes out with a board indicating how long the referee has decided to add on for stoppages. i'm just genuinly wondering why you think this is such a majorly flawed system.
for the record theres plenty of laws i wouldn't defend because i don't agree with them, the offside rule is to open to interpretation regarding whether a player is interfering with play and defenders "shielding the ball" as it goes out for a goal kick would be a foul for obstruction anywhere else on the pitch but is never given in that situation.

As a viewer I would just like to know exactly how much time is left. That is like asking why do I want to know how much time is left if an American Football or a Basketball or Hockey game.

As I pointed out I'll watch some of the WC if the US is playing once they are knocked out then I likely will not pay much attention to it. You could say I'm not supporting the sport just my country since they are participating in it.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3433595 said:
football the game does not contine as soon as the play is over. In the end I could really careless it is a boring game and while things like the World Cup is special and gets the deserved attention after it is over most american sports fans do not pay much attention to it. It is like Olympic sports every 4 years people will watch events they normally pass over as they find something else to watch.

rofl....

so soccer deserves and gets attention from the public every 4 years.

brilliant assessment.

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
Doomsday;3433613 said:
The problem with saying low scoring games in soccer make the game exciting because the next goal could decide it is there are almost ZERO shots on goal through out the game. I dont see how that can be exciting. The game on today is 0-0 with 2 minutes left and there have been a TOTAL of 3 shots on goal, 2 of them were weak efforts that had no shot at going in. That is lame!

Only 3 shots on goal but there were a total of 16 shots and at least a dozen more chances that didn't produce a shot. It is like watching a football game with no field goals and stout redzone defense.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Cythim;3433630 said:
Only 3 shots on goal but there were a total of 16 shots and at least a dozen more chances that didn't produce a shot. It is like watching a football game with no field goals and stout redzone defense.

It's not really the same at all because in soccer the beauty of the game is in the play not the scoring. In football far too much concern is made for scoring. All the rules in football have been tilted towards more scoring because the people want their scores....

I think it is a lazy way to watch sports but it is what it is.

Soccer is never going to be for everyone but who cares, it is still by far the most popular sport in the world. I am guessing I'd think cricket totally sucks but I certainly don't care enough about it to ever author a post on that topic or do any research. If the soccer haters watch enough soccer to hate it, good for the sport.

daschoo

Slanje Va
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3433623 said:
As a viewer I would just like to know exactly how much time is left. That is like asking why do I want to know how much time is left if an American Football or a Basketball or Hockey game.

As I pointed out I'll watch some of the WC if the US is playing once they are knocked out then I likely will not pay much attention to it. You could say I'm not supporting the sport just my country since they are participating in it.

fair enough. still confused as to how you don't know how much times left but never mind

Doomsday101

Reaction score
jterrell;3433629 said:
rofl....

so soccer deserves and gets attention from the public every 4 years.

brilliant assessment.

In the US soccer is not that high up the list of sports that is viewed except when it is the WC or in the Olympics is being held where the viewership is higher in the US as the game takes its grand stage. Any other time the viewership numbers are down. Laugh all you want it is the truth

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Hostile;3433552 said:
Most of the comments in this thread are excellent. The pro-soccer ones suck.

I am sure the 4 billion watching the tournament would say you suck for being closed minded about their sport.

Something played by so many, including many in your country, can't be all bad.

It isn't my favourite sport but it certainly is no less boring than baseball.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;3433785 said:
I am sure the 4 billion watching the tournament would say you suck for being closed minded about their sport.

Something played by so many, including many in your country, can't be all bad.

It isn't my favourite sport but it certainly is no less boring than baseball.

If 4 Billion jumped off a cliff would you? :laugh2:

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3433790 said:
If 4 Billion jumped off a cliff would you? :laugh2:

gee that stopped being funny when I heard it when I was 5

It is a better sport than baseball but not as good as hockey, basketball and football.

The world plays it, it is the people's game, it can't be all bad

It's only in North America where it is mostly a girl's game played in the suburbs.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;3433797 said:
gee that stopped being funny when I heard it when I was 5

It is a better sport than baseball but not as good as hockey, basketball and football.

The world plays it, it is the people's game, it can't be all bad

It's only in North America where it is mostly a girl's game played in the suburbs.

It never stops being funny. :D

I know it is a popular world game and I know we in the US march to our own drummer which is why the NFL,NBA and MLB still rank higher here. It never mattered to me that others felt soccer is exciting hell some parts think the game of Curling is exciting. :laugh2:

juck

Reaction score
daschoo;3433635 said:
fair enough. still confused as to how you don't know how much times left but never mind
What if there is a stoppage during the stoppage time? i for one never understood the no clock thing either.

juck

Reaction score
I gotta say,not seeing a clock would impact a game tremendously. For example: You have a lead and u want to nurse it or still be aggressive. I mean it would suck not knowing how much time is there in general.