Any Person Drooling Over Lincoln Riley

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
People will get caught up in the moment and say he sucks right now but they would be wrong.

He is a brilliant offensive play designer.

My problem with him is overall game management.

The conference he plays in doesn’t make him have to call the game in a NFL type of way for 4 quarters.

I’ve watched him call games where he basically leaves the defense hanging out to dry.

I just think at this stage that the Dallas Cowboy job is way too big for him and he isn’t ready and on top of that he shouldn’t leave his cushy college job.

Makes a ton of sense. Thanks for posting a realistic and legitimate concern.

Pokeness

Reaction score
It's is currently halftime of the LSU / Oklahoma game where the Sooners are getting crushed. 49-14

Here is the concern....
Riley is coaching in the BIG 12, where defense really isn't on display. It's high scoring.
Coach Riley has no NFL experience with a good offensive mind ( for college).
If Coach Riley happens to be the next Dallas coach, will the Cowboys be like the AirCoryell San Diego Chargers? High scoring with no defense.
I'm sure Jerry will pick out a wonderful defensive coordinator for him.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Riley is Jason Garrett 2.0

What? Why would you say that? I want to hear this.

Look, I want Meyer, but I could live with Riley. He’s an offensive innovator and a way better game day coach than Garrett (it’s not even close).

The problem is that in Riley’s 3 years his defenses have been atrocious. So if you hire Riley, he better find someone to coach the defense.

My top 3 are :

1) Urban Meyer
2) Chris Petersen
3) Lincoln Riley

The gap between 1 and 2 is huge.

cowboyec

Reaction score
You still gotta coach 'em and OU is supposed to be a national brand like SC. I casually follow LSU they have underachieved with more talented teams under Les Miles recently. Ed Orgeron is a phenomenal coach who is LSU to the core and gets the horses.
Orgeron is a helluva coach.
I never said otherwise.
but living here in Oklahoma...trust me.
this goes back before Lincoln Riley was here.
just before Venebles was fired as DC.
you could see a drop off in talent on that side of the ball.
we dont have enuff Kenneth Murray's.
Riley is a helluva coach regardless of this game....and I'd take him all day over Garrett returning.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
It's is currently halftime of the LSU / Oklahoma game where the Sooners are getting crushed. 49-14

Here is the concern....
Riley is coaching in the BIG 12, where defense really isn't on display. It's high scoring.
Coach Riley has no NFL experience with a good offensive mind ( for college).
If Coach Riley happens to be the next Dallas coach, will the Cowboys be like the AirCoryell San Diego Chargers? High scoring with no defense.
For me i dont think Riley is the right guy because he's strictly a offensive guy. So he would need a guy who will need full control of the defense. Thats no different then what Dallas has now. I would prefer a guy who is a all around coach who can say what he wants on both sides of the ball. This is why i prefer Meyer.

rxdoc

Reaction score
If you are LSU ... at what point is Burrow’s night over. No sense in risking an injury here.....

If I’m Riley I try to get this game to being less embarrassing....

Praxit

Reaction score
..for all we know, Jerry could get Mike Shoonover from a unknown small college to take over. Jones are not football minded organization.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
The Cowboys will win tomorrow and make it to the wildcard round and by the time they're eliminated everyone will forget about this debacle.

That said, any chance Riley is distracted by his looming future?

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
People will get caught up in the moment and say he sucks right now but they would be wrong.

He is a brilliant offensive play designer.

My problem with him is overall game management.

The conference he plays in doesn’t make him have to call the game in a NFL type of way for 4 quarters.

I’ve watched him call games where he basically leaves the defense hanging out to dry.

I just think at this stage that the Dallas Cowboy job is way too big for him and he isn’t ready and on top of that he shouldn’t leave his cushy college job.

I generally agree, but I don’t think coaches like Pederson or McVay are defensive minded either but still get the job done with good DC hires.

willia451

Reaction score
Meh. I’d still take him as OC. Meyer as HC. Rivera as DC.

I'll bet when you go do the groceries it's filet mignon, Panera Bread, Caesar Salad, Steak Fries, and Champagne.

Go Big or go home, my brother.

LOL!!!! YOU are something else.