Archer: Jerry said, "you'll know it when you see it" regarding potential change to Romo

erod

Reaction score
By your own logic, he will have his poise and his physical ability in the playoffs because he will have the best supporting cast on offense in the playoffs.

But the league has figured this rookie out. He's toast.

He needs an offseason or two to learn the NFL. He will. No worries on that from me.

erod

Reaction score
Against two top 5 defences on the road. It happens. Seattle just scored 5 a couple weeks ago. We won one and lose another by 3

So the best offensive unit in the NFL got manhandled, and it's OK because the defenses were good?

LOL, what do you expect the playoffs to be like? Hint, Cleveland and Chicago won't be there.

robbieruff

Reaction score
So I have a hypothetical that this thread has triggered and would love some opinions...WHAT IF???

Dak plays extremely poorly (not wishing for this to make myself clear...just saying for sake of argument) in the next game or two and it leads to a switch to Romo per Jerry's statement...AND THEN, Tony leads us to a SB victory this year.

What happens next season?
  • Open competition and thus an all-out QB controversy?
  • Tony is the go forward starter until he retires (either via decision or is forced out due to injury)?
  • Does Tony just retire outright and ride off with his ring a la Peyton Manning?
  • Still look to trade Tony when he has max value and declare the future with Dak?
  • Other options?
Not saying what I think would be the scenario but want to know what others think?

SDCowboy

Reaction score
So much wrong with this.

Dak has not been getting pressured often. He simply holds the ball so long, the pressure gets there. The ball should be gone quickly.

Blitzes mean guys are open. Hot routes. Throw it, Dak!

You don't know the receivers aren't open. In the NFL, one step is open.

Zeke asked out of the game a few times. He carried it 24 times. How much of beating do you want him to take? I do agree I'd rather see Morris than Dunbar.

Deep passes aren't called per se. There's a guy in the flat. A guy or two over the middle. A guy or two deep. DAK DECIDES WHERE TO THROW IT.

Romo changes blocking schemes, routes, entire plays altogether at the line of scrimmage to beat these looks. Dak does not. Not yet.
We'll have to agree to disagree on this, erod.

Parche

Reaction score
They guy who couldn't overcome a 3 point disadvantage? It's all about the QB

I disagree. Its a team sport. Its all about how much can anyone contribute and play a vital part for the team to win.

This team can win without Dak, Im pretty sure about that, with Romo, even with Kitna could manage to win some games.

Without Zeke, and with Dak at Qb, would be reaaally different. We would have many Ls more.

And the thing bout Romo, is that he managed to win a lot of games even without a strong RB corp. Dak`s maybe will get there. Today, I really doubt that.

Zeke`s our key stone today. We cant afford losing him, and we could do without Dak. Thats just my honest opinion, of course.

erod

Reaction score

The point is, the quarterback runs the offense. Always. Playcalls are just a small part of it. Everything is up to the quarterback in the end.

DallasCowboys2080

Reaction score
large.gif

JDSmith

Reaction score
First of all Romo has been taking snaps with the 1's for weeks now.

We are on a playoff run.... So there is no time to be "fair" here as you call it. Didnt know that existed in the NFL..

BEST PLAYER AT THE POSITION PLAYS!!!!!!!!!
I've heard them reference it repeatedly on the podcasts, and they say Romo gets 4 or 5 starter reps a day. All of the other starter reps go to Dak.

And since Dak is starting, what's fair to him is fair to the team. If you start a guy and you've failed to prepare him or you've set him up for failure that's not fair to him. More importantly, it hurts the team since they are relying on him. So if the coaches have given all of the starter reps to Dak, save the handful Romo gets, then he should be in the best position to help the team. Even if, as I believe, Romo is the better player in a vacuum, you'd be putting him in without proper preparation after having not played in over a year. You'd also likely be putting him in when the team is losing unless the defense can play another game like Sunday's.

That seems like a very bad plan. You don't think the other team's defense would be amped up to force the starter out? Throwing a rusty Romo out there with little preparation, against a defense likely to be frothing at the mouth, seems like a recipe for disaster. If that happens and it's not due to injury, the coaches are likely panicking.

There is a right way and a wrong way to handle the transition. That's the wrong way.

If they want to go back to Romo they should prep him as the starter and handle it like professionals. And I wanted them to put in Romo against the Giants, but that was me as a fan in the heat of the moment looking for a miracle. I'd hope that our coaches are better than that and would do it in a way that's more likely to help the team.

erod

Reaction score
So I have a hypothetical that this thread has triggered and would love some opinions...WHAT IF???

Dak plays extremely poorly (not wishing for this to make myself clear...just saying for sake of argument) in the next game or two and it leads to a switch to Romo per Jerry's statement...AND THEN, Tony leads us to a SB victory this year.

What happens next season?
  • Open competition and thus an all-out QB controversy?
  • Tony is the go forward starter until he retires (either via decision or is forced out due to injury)?
  • Does Tony just retire outright and ride off with his ring a la Peyton Manning?
  • Still look to trade Tony when he has max value and declare the future with Dak?
  • Other options?
Not saying what I think would be the scenario but want to know what others think?

If that happened, then Romo would be the guy until he's not. Dak would learn and take over in time.

I don't think Romo would retire, but only he knows how he truly feels physically.

zack

Reaction score
It's not whatever. It sends a horrible message to the team, and to Dak. It also means Tony is likely back next year and we get nothing for him when he's at the end of his career anyway, and Dak then loses a year of on field experience and gains a year of rust.

They never should have moved on to Dak if they weren't committed to him.

The Cowboys didn't bench Romo because he was playing badly, but because he was hurt. Dak is the hot hand and they decided that they weren't going back to a healthy Romo because they were winning, fair.

However, why can't you go back to the guy who is a top 10 QB when healthy and when the current starter is not playing well?? Just because?

There a huge opportunity in front of Dallas right now. The NFL is a year to year league, see Dallas 2014, see 2015 Panthers. There is no guarantee that this will be here next year. At Stake is HFA through out the playoffs, bye.

I don't think that you continue to let this play out if we lose another game. The Giants have a favorable schedule. One can argue that the game against Detroit won't be close. The Lions are one dimensional and are ok on defense, not great. They barely beat the Bears last weekend. I can see Giants winning. If Dallas drops to TB, then the pressure will really be on.

Gameover

Reaction score
I disagree. Its a team sport. Its all about how much can anyone contribute and play a vital part for the team to win.

This team can win without Dak, Im pretty sure about that, with Romo, even with Kitna could manage to win some games.

Without Zeke, and with Dak at Qb, would be reaaally different. We would have many Ls more.

And the thing bout Romo, is that he managed to win a lot of games even without a strong RB corp. Dak`s maybe will get there. Today, I really doubt that.

Zeke`s our key stone today. We cant afford losing him, and we could do without Dak. Thats just my honest opinion, of course.
The running back is interchangeable. Zeke just happens to be the most talented one on the roster. We would still be 11-2 with McFadden and the other guy. Hell, DMC might've broken off a long one vs the Giants and we might be 12-1 right now. Zeke is a cog in the machine... we go as the QB goes

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Obviously you don't like dak. One of those picks was on dez for falling on his ***. The other pick well was just dumb
Actually both pics were on Dez... If you watch the replay... Dez either breaks the route or loses site of the situation/ball? Who knows.. but he didn't continue his post route which would have resulted in crossing the safeties face and competing for that ball. This is precisely Dez' strength. I put both pics on Dez.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Our defense isn't good enough for the QB to play not to get beat. We're gonna have to go out and win games in the playoffs, and while Dak has certainly showed an ability to do that, against good defenses with the chips on the line I think Romo gives us a much better chance at that.

People love to bring up Romo's past failures yet the only 2 times he's ever had a REAL team around him he went 13-3 (one and done in the playoffs, team loss, Patrick crayon drop, Patrick crayon stopping on his route, etc) and 12-4 (one call away from going to the NFCCG, played the game hurt if I'm recalling correctly as well)

All these other win and go home "choke jobs" you guys are referring to, go back and see what kind of teams we had. Only reason those teams were remotely in those positions were because Romo. Average o lines, terrible defenses and bad running games, recipes for success right?

Wrong the problem with this pathetic display of excuse making is we played teams we were capable of beating in these win or go home games. We played essentially another average team who was fighting for the same position. If you can win 8 games, you can win another... You can't put up gaudy #'s, face an average divisional foe, then when the game goes to **** blame it on the o-line..running game etc. that you had all year and shined at times with. Let's not absolve Romo of all responsibility here.

Nexx

Reaction score

the problem is when he is getting pressured the defense is bringing more than we can block, leaving someone open and Dak hasnt been finding that guy.

Gameover

Reaction score
Against two top 5 defences on the road. It happens. Seattle just scored 5 a couple weeks ago. We won one and lose another by 3

We have always had trouble producing drives, on the road vs top defenses. Even with the great Tony Romo.

Romoites will say "what about Seattle"

Styles make fights: we match up great with them.

Our offensiveline dominates their defensive front.

Please don't bring up GB

bsbellomy

Reaction score
I've heard them reference it repeatedly on the podcasts, and they say Romo gets 4 or 5 starter reps a day. All of the other starter reps go to Dak.

And since Dak is starting, what's fair to him is fair to the team. If you start a guy and you've failed to prepare him or you've set him up for failure that's not fair to him. More importantly, it hurts the team since they are relying on him. So if the coaches have given all of the starter reps to Dak, save the handful Romo gets, then he should be in the best position to help the team. Even if, as I believe, Romo is the better player in a vacuum, you'd be putting him in without proper preparation after having not played in over a year. You'd also likely be putting him in when the team is losing unless the defense can play another game like Sunday's.

That seems like a very bad plan. You don't think the other team's defense would be amped up to force the starter out? Throwing a rusty Romo out there with little preparation, against a defense likely to be frothing at the mouth, seems like a recipe for disaster. If that happens and it's not due to injury, the coaches are likely panicking.

There is a right way and a wrong way to handle the transition. That's the wrong way.

If they want to go back to Romo they should prep him as the starter and handle it like professionals. And I wanted them to put in Romo against the Giants, but that was me as a fan in the heat of the moment looking for a miracle. I'd hope that our coaches are better than that and would do it in a way that's more likely to help the team.

The closer we get to the playoffs the less time Romo will have to get himself ready. And if it becomes painfully obvious (i am there already) that we cannot win in the playoffs with Dak, and we stick with him, we've officially flushed this season down the drain.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
and according to you mine must be losing cause i don't agree with you.

some people are so binary it's pathetic.

have a day.

That's a riot I never asked you for your opinion or if you agreed with me, your opinion means little to me.

Look in the mirror before you spout that crap.