Archer: Jerry said, "you'll know it when you see it" regarding potential change to Romo

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I don't understand why anyone has to have an "agenda" when it comes to the QB question. I'm a huge Romo fan. I'm a huge Dak fan. I'm an even BIGGER Dallas Cowboy fan. I don't give two ****s who plays the position if we win the Super Bowl. I could care less. The issue is this. Dak has played very well this year. There is no doubt about that. He has struggled mightily the last two games. The offense in general has struggled. There is no doubt about that. I want Dak to start this coming weekend against Tampa. IF he struggles again and we lose due to an inept offense, I don't think there's any choice other than giving Romo a shot. That is in no way going to harm the team in the future. I want to capitalize on this season and try to do whatever it takes to win a damn Super Bowl. You cannot play your worst football at the end of the season heading into the playoffs. You just can't. This team is very talented, but it also has a fairly small margin for error. Pretty much every other team does as well as well when it comes to the playoffs. Every team from here on out is going to stack the box to stop our run game. We can still run on them to an extent, but you still have to have a good passing game to win, especially in the playoffs. We are not going to win any playoff games putting up 7-17 points on offense.

Someone gets it! Buy this man a beer

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Nothing is more important than this season RIGHT NOW. We have a chance to win the super bowl, every team has its warts (us included) and we can legit beat any team any place. That's not always the case, so take advantage of the opportunity.

If Dak continues to struggle, you have to give serious consideration in giving Romo a shot.

I keep seeing people say "what kind of message does that send the team?". I think it sends the message that no player is above the team, and that the TEAM has one GOAL and that's to win the super bowl and whichever players at whichever position give the team the best chance to do so will play, PERIOD!

I want to stick with Dak but I'm going to respect the other side of this debate. The danger that has to be considered here is that if a cold/rusty Romo who looked avg to bad LAST YEAR ... FAILS... as in ...steps in and loses games for HFA or in the postseason... IT WOULD BE THE BIGGEST EPIC DISASTER IN FRANCHISE HISTORY as far as I'm concerned. The damage and stinch that would result from Romo ruining the season would be a disaster. Fair or not it just would. Why not let the man who got us to 11-2 ride this out. Should Romo get to step in on the 11-2 start that Dak has engineered? At this point we've lost two games to a tough divisional opponent by all of 4 points and it's an all out war here? Did you guys see Brady's 2001 #'s posted here recently? There were several stink bombs involved. There are sign posts in life and "outcomes".. What happened Sunday was not our fate.. It was not an "outcome" to the season. Merely a "sign post" letting us know where we are right now and that we still have work to do. As we move on through the rest of the season hopefully the nyg game will be just a part of the story. Aikman, Romo.. they've all fell hard in these spots.. on the road, desperate divisional opponent let alone as rookies.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Check any of my old posts and see if I was ever anti-Romo if you want. According to Broaddus after his game replay, the long INT to Dez was on Dak, since Witten was open, although he wouldn't have gotten the first down, so in the end the long INT would have lead to the same result as a solid punt if the team tackled the db. On the others, there weren't many open and the DE's were setting the edge so Dak couldn't run.

This was just as much on the playcalling as Dak. Dez being completely out of the game, Witten being double all game and the cold wet surface...yeah, not exactly stuff to give a QB confidence.

I didn't need Broaddus to tell me that. The ball went directly to the safety. Also, more apologetics. "Would have resulted in a punt" - Cool, except we didn't want a punt there...we wanted a first down. But yet again, it was another turnover. So, you have two instances, now go ahead and tell me the issues on every other drive and do your best with those mental gymnastics to not place anything on Dak or sugarcoat the issue.

Poor accuracy is not on playcalling, that's strictly QB. Not having that clock in your head, when you have the ability to be mobile, is not on the playcalls it's on the QB. Blitz pickup is not on the playcalling, it's on the QB at the line.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Todd Archer reporting ..

On 105.3 The Fan in Dallas Tuesday, Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones said "you'll know it when you see it," when talking about a potential change from Dak Prescott to Tony Romo down the stretch but he did not have a definitive scenario in which a move would be made.
So if I see # 9 behind center, that will be Tony not Dak !!!! :muttley:
I think I got it !! :hammer:
Thanks Jerry, I dont know if I could have figured that out on my own.:lmao:

"you'll know it when you see it," ....... takes a true genius to come up with these thought provoking statements !!

superonyx

Reaction score
as if romo is going to play like tom brady in these elimination games when hes failed to do so for 10 years. laughable
You can like Dak and prefer Dak but why does it feel necessary to insult your franchise QB over the last 10 years?

I find this type of fan reaction to be weird and insecure.
Stop it.

If you want to give Dak slack for having a bad game against a pressure defense then at least have the critical thinking ability to do the same for Romo.

Blaming the QB (Romo or Dak) for these losses is letting the coaches off the hook when they may not deserve to be let off the hook. Can anyone really say they have given Dak or Romo the best chance to succeed in these games? I can't.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Don't be naive it's not perplexing. In Garretts view it's the only way he can get Romo on the field now by throwing games and still save face but throwing his rookie QB under the bus.

Bro, Seriously? Come on! JG is not throwing games. Honestly that is a slap to Dak, Romo and the team if he was doing just that.

Last edited:

phildadon86

Reaction score
The running back is interchangeable. Zeke just happens to be the most talented one on the roster. We would still be 11-2 with McFadden and the other guy. Hell, DMC might've broken off a long one vs the Giants and we might be 12-1 right now. Zeke is a cog in the machine... we go as the QB goes
We wouldn't be 11 and 2 with DMC you're insane.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Romo wasn't going to make Dez not slip before a pick. Nor was he going to stop the special teams from constant penalties that cost the offense starting position (almost 70 yards difference on that one Beasley run to the NYG 29 yard line). Nor was he going make the defence drop three sure picks in prime return position.

This was a team loss. Dak's first in 11 *** games. Something Romo never did (you guys are so bad you're making me anti-Romo, and he's my favourite player)

lol Okay:lmao2:

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Wrong the problem with this pathetic display of excuse making is we played teams we were capable of beating in these win or go home games. We played essentially another average team who was fighting for the same position. If you can win 8 games, you can win another... You can't put up gaudy #'s, face an average divisional foe, then when the game goes to **** blame it on the o-line..running game etc. that you had all year and shined at times with. Let's not absolve Romo of all responsibility here.

Just as many apologies for Dak is coming from you. Stop pretending you're a fence sitter.

It's FACT that Romo has played with a poor running game most of his career, with a poor O-line for half of it, and only really ever had 3 good teams. Are you really going to argue against this? The only other time Romo has had anything close to what we have now is 2014, and we went 12-4 and was a controversial call away from winning the championship game (Yes, I believe we would have won that, our D that year played off momentum well)

You're doing just as much to absolve Dak of his faults here. The simple fact is, he played like total crap and was mediocre since the Commanders game. Our offense has stagnated to the point is resembles the Browns and Vikings.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
as if romo is going to play like tom brady in these elimination games when hes failed to do so for 10 years. laughable

Whatever, Dak lover. So sick of erroneous B.S. -- yes, Romo is terrible in the clutch. That's why he has the highest 4th quarter QB rating of any QB playing since 2006 (for those paying attention, that includes the likes of Brady, Rodgers, the Manning brothers, Roth, etc.), and had the highest December rating of all time in 2014 (you know, the last time he was healthy).

But hey, you're right, you know what you're talking about.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Anyone who brings up the Denver game to try and knock Romo is clueless so no point even having a discussion.

Your comment reminds me of the example Bible teachers use to illustrate why it's dangerous to pick and choose verses without understanding context. And it goes like this:

A young Christian is reading through the Scriptures and stumbles across the passage where Judas hangs himself. As he reads he prays that God leads him to make the right decisions for his life. He determines that the next verse he reads will be a message from God as to what he should do with his life. He closes his Bible and randomly opens it to a page and reads the following verse: "Go and do likewise." ;) :D

Please go back and read the context which prompted my statement. Thank you. :)

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Seattle should get rid of Russell Wilson. He's no good. The defenses have figured him out. lol

False equivalency. One has actually proven time and time again he gets hotter as the season goes on. This year, he's been banged up.

Goodness, you know there probably is a logical argument out there for the Dak fanboy side, but you guys simply can not put it together.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
It's not whatever. It sends a horrible message to the team, and to Dak. It also means Tony is likely back next year and we get nothing for him when he's at the end of his career anyway, and Dak then loses a year of on field experience and gains a year of rust.

They never should have moved on to Dak if they weren't committed to him.

Why does it send a horrible message to the team? Romo is extremely popular and a great leader. What the hell are you talking about? Do you like to just throw stuff out there that has no merit whatsoever?

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
False equivalency. One has actually proven time and time again he gets hotter as the season goes on. This year, he's been banged up.

Goodness, you know there probably is a logical argument out there for the Dak fanboy side, but you guys simply can not put it together.
Same with the Romo side. You are living in the past and don't see what Tony is today. The guy's been banged up for 2 years and you think he's 28 again.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Same with the Romo side. You are living in the past and don't see what Tony is today. The guy's been banged up for 2 years and you think he's 28 again.

No, I'm not "living in the past" - I have observed, I have pointing out Dak's flaws for months now. You guys whined about it, dogpiled, built your arguments off emotions. I hit you back each and every time with things you should have looked at yourself. You refused.

What happened when Dak had to throw passes into tight coverage ON A CONSISTENT BASIS the other night? How many of them did he complete? In my discussions with you in the past, what did I tell you I suspected would happen?

The stance I, and many others have: We know what we have in Dak, he's hitting a wall or doesn't have it. We have a chance at a Super Bowl. We don't know what we have in Romo now, we want to see if he's still that runner up for MVP he was in 2014 after having some time away to actually heal.

The most you could do is actually comprehend the arguments.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Please do not count me among anyone who actually thought that team was going to the playoffs at that point. The odds were mathematically outrageous.

It doesn't matter what you thought. Romo thought the team could based on his statement. Therefore, it wasn't a meaningless game.
I would say the Green Bay game, yes that would count. It should have never gotten to that point, no thanks to the defense giving up FIVE touchdowns in the 2nd half, including 3 80 yard drives... but the interception did not have to happen there.

The subject is costly interceptions.

Denver, nope sorry. Been over that a million times. Defense gave up most points in a loss ever in NFL history and it took 500 yards and 5 TDs to even get to a point where there's even a game to care about at the end. Calling that costly is just nitpicking the timing. Green Bay was costly because of timing AND boneheaded decisions by Tony before and including the play.

Again, the subject is costly interceptions. It doesn't matter how well Romo performed. He threw a costly interception late in the game. And it occurred in 2013, which is after 2012.

Thus, Romo has INDEED thrown costly interceptions since 2012. Sorry, but you can't rhetorically massage your way out of this one. :)