Archer: Jerry said, "you'll know it when you see it" regarding potential change to Romo

tyke1doe

Reaction score
heh - funny part is - of that i've never disagreed. i just think those clamoring for romo now never wanted dak to start anyway. they see an op to get him "back in the game" and are diving on it and minimizing what dak has in fact done.

if the coaches feel dak can't do it anymore or that his mojo is finished for the year, that is their call and agree or disagree with them, they're still going to make it. if dak comes out sunday and just falls on his face and deserves to be pulled cause of his play and his play alone, great. i'm 100% fine with it and so glad we do in fact have romo on the bench ready to go.

however, i do question the entire "ready to go" scenario.

he's played what, 2 games in 2 years? in training camp a simple tackle broke his back and put him out. he's not played in a game for a year or more at this point. i *do not* feel he will walk on the field and be *only* the good things we've ever seen from romo in his career.

he can light it up to be sure, or he can choke more than a king kong heimlich maneuver can handle. both are very real possibilities and it just seems people are ignoring all the times romo's late game chokes cost us. and before the romo parade dogs on me for that statement, he has in fact choked away some games.

he's won quite a few also.

so which romo will we get?

those saying ROMO NOW, to me, have agendas. i suppose to them i do also but it's not to keep dak in, it's to not bail on him cause of fan pressure but i don't really think that would be the reason. i just can't see the coaches hanging out in here taking the temp of all the fans who have *romo* somewhere in their username.

dak has figured out so much already. maybe he is on overdrive and not fair to think he can keep this up. but i don't see his performance alone as why we're struggling in the last few weeks. i see a team still looking for an overall identity and if we give the team back to romo, we also delay that change that can and will happen likely next year.

i want to win. i'd love for dak to get it but also understand i'd love to see romo take us there too. i'm honestly torn but i don't like moving around on indecision as if that's going to help us more than hurt.

One of the best posts I've read so far on this debate. Kudos!

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I want to stick with Dak but I'm going to respect the other side of this debate. The danger that has to be considered here is that if a cold/rusty Romo who looked avg to bad LAST YEAR ... FAILS... as in ...steps in and loses games for HFA or in the postseason... IT WOULD BE THE BIGGEST EPIC DISASTER IN FRANCHISE HISTORY as far as I'm concerned. The damage and stinch that would result from Romo ruining the season would be a disaster. Fair or not it just would. Why not let the man who got us to 11-2 ride this out. Should Romo get to step in on the 11-2 start that Dak has engineered? At this point we've lost two games to a tough divisional opponent by all of 4 points and it's an all out war here? Did you guys see Brady's 2001 #'s posted here recently? There were several stink bombs involved. There are sign posts in life and "outcomes".. What happened Sunday was not our fate.. It was not an "outcome" to the season. Merely a "sign post" letting us know where we are right now and that we still have work to do. As we move on through the rest of the season hopefully the nyg game will be just a part of the story. Aikman, Romo.. they've all fell hard in these spots.. on the road, desperate divisional opponent let alone as rookies.

Another fine post. :)

GusTheo

Reaction score
Wrong the problem with this pathetic display of excuse making is we played teams we were capable of beating in these win or go home games. We played essentially another average team who was fighting for the same position. If you can win 8 games, you can win another... You can't put up gaudy #'s, face an average divisional foe, then when the game goes to **** blame it on the o-line..running game etc. that you had all year and shined at times with. Let's not absolve Romo of all responsibility here.

Who's absolving him? I said it was a team loss. To blame Romo or call it a chose is just flat out wrong.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Whatever, Dak lover. So sick of erroneous B.S. -- yes, Romo is terrible in the clutch. That's why he has the highest 4th quarter QB rating of any QB playing since 2006 (for those paying attention, that includes the likes of Brady, Rodgers, the Manning brothers, Roth, etc.), and had the highest December rating of all time in 2014 (you know, the last time he was healthy).

But hey, you're right, you know what you're talking about.

Let them live in a fantasy world, that Romo has been some slouch that the team was lucky enough to win in spite of him. It is a complete and utter joke. They talk a lot of **** about Romo and his supporters, but god forbid you look at anything logical and you all of sudden are against Dak instead of realizing this has been about the last 3 games, and if it continues all options should be on the table. I don't understand what is so hard about that

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
Every QB has thrown costly interceptions. All of them. Of course Romo has thrown interceptions at the worst time that has cost us the ballgame. It happens in the NFL. He has also had 30 game winning drives in the 4th quarter in his career. So one can assume that he has had many more clutch performances, many more, than times where he has choked. It is magnified greatly considering he has been the QB of the Dallas Cowboys. His TD/INT ratio is also outstanding. So I guess my point is that Tony Romo is not turnover prone and is usually clutch.

Now it is absolutely legitimate to wonder what Romo we'd get if he was inserted back into action. He's missed a ton of time over the last couple of years and I understand the arguments of his detractors. I think if the team says he is in shape and ready to go, I'd trust them. Of course, they have definitely rushed him back in the past so there's that, but this is different.

Deep_South

Reaction score
I think the solution is simple: play the best quarterback, the one who gives us the best chance get to the Super Bowl and win it.

This whole thing (benching Tony and leaving Dak the starter) has the appearance of a corporate type of decision where everyone gets into a room and argues like we do here, then they all walk out smiling and present a unified front. Changing that decision is difficult because everyone has to look bad to do so, and maybe half of them privately will have to admit the other half were right in the beginning. So, they put it into event-driven mode, meaning they wait for an excuse to make a change to give them all plausible deniability. Thus, "You'll know it when you see it."

So, it I've got this right, we don't want to "see it". I think Tony -- one of the best December quarterbacks in the history of the NFL -- should be starting already. If it's going to take a disaster to get him in there, let's just hope that Dak gets it done against Tampa, Detroit, and the Beagles. We don't need a disaster.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
No, I'm not "living in the past" - I have observed, I have pointing out Dak's flaws for months now. You guys whined about it, dogpiled, built your arguments off emotions. I hit you back each and every time with things you should have looked at yourself. You refused.

What happened when Dak had to throw passes into tight coverage ON A CONSISTENT BASIS the other night? How many of them did he complete? In my discussions with you in the past, what did I tell you I suspected would happen?

The stance I, and many others have: We know what we have in Dak, he's hitting a wall or doesn't have it. We have a chance at a Super Bowl. We don't know what we have in Romo now, we want to see if he's still that runner up for MVP he was in 2014 after having some time away to actually heal.

The most you could do is actually comprehend the arguments.
I know you have been pointing out his flaws for months even as he led us to victory after victory in unbelievable fashion sometimes. Now that he's in a little bit of a slump you are just jumping on the opportunity to put Tony back in there. I'm glad you know what we have in Dak because I still don't. We also don't know what kind of Tony we will be getting. Will it be the 2014 version. The one version that I did like in the playoffs when we depended on the running game. The others not so much. And as for healing. I was told he was fully healed going into training camp and then what happens. He gets hurt on a simple tackle because he can't slide anymore and holds the ball too long. I just like how some don't want to give Dak any credit for our 11 game winning streak.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Every QB has thrown costly interceptions. All of them. Of course Romo has thrown interceptions at the worst time that has cost us the ballgame. It happens in the NFL. He has also had 30 game winning drives in the 4th quarter in his career. So one can assume that he has had many more clutch performances, many more, than times where he has choked. It is magnified greatly considering he has been the QB of the Dallas Cowboys. His TD/INT ratio is also outstanding. So I guess my point is that Tony Romo is not turnover prone and is usually clutch.

Now it is absolutely legitimate to wonder what Romo we'd get if he was inserted back into action. He's missed a ton of time over the last couple of years and I understand the arguments of his detractors. I think if the team says he is in shape and ready to go, I'd trust them. Of course, they have definitely rushed him back in the past so there's that, but this is different.
Of course Romo has thrown interceptions at the worst time that has cost us the ballgame.

And unfortunately that is his legacy. If he comes back that can't happen again.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
words are meaningless. if Dak puts up another game like the last two, he will be switched with Romo. Possibly mid game even.

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
Of course Romo has thrown interceptions at the worst time that has cost us the ballgame.

And unfortunately that is his legacy. If he comes back that can't happen again.

But he has won us ballgames at the most clutch moments wayyy more times.

The interceptions are only his legacy to the people who don't like him or the Cowboys.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Just as many apologies for Dak is coming from you. Stop pretending you're a fence sitter.

It's FACT that Romo has played with a poor running game most of his career, with a poor O-line for half of it, and only really ever had 3 good teams. Are you really going to argue against this? The only other time Romo has had anything close to what we have now is 2014, and we went 12-4 and was a controversial call away from winning the championship game (Yes, I believe we would have won that, our D that year played off momentum well)

You're doing just as much to absolve Dak of his faults here. The simple fact is, he played like total crap and was mediocre since the Commanders game. Our offense has stagnated to the point is resembles the Browns and Vikings.

We've lost two games by 4 points to a division opponent that has our # right now. I just don't view Dak the same way you do. I expect ups and downs and I think he's handled himself well. I don't hate Romo but I would not play him at this point.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
If course that's all true but there is a right way and a wrong way to do it. The right way ? To go the right way you need a coach with enough balls to buck the media and hold a press conference n plainly state even at 11-1 Romo is the best option going forward into the playoffs the wrong option putting together weak game plans taking Zeke off the field on 3rd down and praying for losses. Just pathetic.
I don't really care much about the context of how it's done -- I just want it done.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I know you have been pointing out his flaws for months even as he led us to victory after victory in unbelievable fashion sometimes. Now that he's in a little bit of a slump you are just jumping on the opportunity to put Tony back in there. I'm glad you know what we have in Dak because I still don't. We also don't know what kind of Tony we will be getting. Will it be the 2014 version. The one version that I did like in the playoffs when we depended on the running game. The others not so much. And as for healing. I was told he was fully healed going into training camp and then what happens. He gets hurt on a simple tackle because he can't slide anymore and holds the ball too long. I just like how some don't want to give Dak any credit for our 11 game winning streak.

Wrong. I've been telling you, the W/L column does not matter in my evaluation of Dak. He could lose games that does not in anyway determine my opinion. I defended Dak after the first Giants loss, I felt other players let him down.

My argument all along was this: Dak had yet to face many above average defenses. I stated, I have issues with the zip on his passes and if he could actually fit the ball into tight coverages often and that down the stretch those big windows he has been seeing will start to close. Our WRs have done a phenomenal job with route running this year and has helped Dak tremendously, and they weren't getting enough credit. You want to talk about a group that shouldn't be getting much criticism? THEY should be allowed to have an off game.

Also, you analysis on the Romo slide and injury shows your bias. It was not just a "simple tackle", the way Romo was positioned and the way the tackle happened put his back into an awkward position, the same with his collarbone, it has to do with pressure on the bone. This doesn't differ from person to person much, I've broken my collarbone the same exact way Romo did. You put pressure on the back like that and anyone's bone will break.

You don't hold out the better QB because he MIGHT get hurt. You put the better QB in. Period. If he gets hurt, he gets hurt and you go back to your noodle arm backup.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I pray that Dak goes out there Sunday night and tears it up! We need HFA to win in the playoffs with him at the helm. I don't think he is ready for a playoff run but certainly not if he has to go on the road in bad weather conditions. Romo may not be able to deliver either, but you can't leave him on the bench wondering what if as long as Dak continues to struggle.

For all our sakes, home cooking in a cozy stadium should put the train back on its tracks. If Dak puts up a stinker in those conditions.........our playoff hopes are shot unless they make the switch and hope Romo can stay upright. Tony would have to start the next two games to get in game-shape(DET and Philly). They can not ride Dak through the rest of the season and expect Romo to just jump in at playoff time.

This Tampa game is it for me, Dak needs to show up and put this non-sense to bed and play within himself. Use his legs to lessen the defense and get the ball out quickly.

This, of course, all hinges on if Dak really did hit that rookie wall or the past month of tough games were just an anomaly, especially last week on that nasty field.

The Tampa game will tell me where we really stand and what move should be made from there. Play bad and look confused again, take your chances with Romo or shut up the critics and win while looking competent..........ride it out with Dak.

Dallas may not be in this position again for a long time, play the best QB and I think this next game will give us(me) the answer. I don't care who it turns out to be, just want the best one out there to win NOW.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
We've lost two games by 4 points to a division opponent that has our # right now. I just don't view Dak the same way you do. I expect ups and downs and I think he's handled himself well. I don't hate Romo but I would not play him at this point.

We scored 17 and 7 points the past two weeks, can't convert on third down to save our lives. "We've lost two games by 4 points" - We lost a 20-19 game and a 10-7 game, context is key here. This wasn't some 34-37 shootout. It was a low scoring game and we looked like trash on offense, Prescott being the biggest part of this.

This wasn't just an "up an down" this has been a steady decline since the Ravens game. Yet again, we've stalled to the point we resemble some of the worst offenses in this league. You're okay with this, that's fine, doesn't make it based on much logic.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
But he has won us ballgames at the most clutch moments wayyy more times.

The interceptions are only his legacy to the people who don't like him or the Cowboys.
That isn't the truth. A QB makes his reputation in big games....playoff games. As good as Tony has been ( and yes we probably wouldn't have even been in those games without him) you can't deny his record. I like Tony. My opinion of him has changed back and forth over the years. I've loved him and also wanted him gone at times. ( I even wanted Johnny Manzel. How stupid was that? lol). The best playoff games that I thought he played in was those 2014 playoff games when we had a dominating running game. The coaching staff needs to get back to that. If Tony does come back I hope he wins it because he deserves it and it would be a great way to go out. I just think his health is the big question now.