Archer: Jerry said, "you'll know it when you see it" regarding potential change to Romo

phildadon86

Reaction score
Wrong. I've been telling you, the W/L column does not matter in my evaluation of Dak. He could lose games that does not in anyway determine my opinion. I defended Dak after the first Giants loss, I felt other players let him down.

My argument all along was this: Dak had yet to face many above average defenses. I stated, I have issues with the zip on his passes and if he could actually fit the ball into tight coverages often and that down the stretch those big windows he has been seeing will start to close. Our WRs have done a phenomenal job with route running this year and has helped Dak tremendously, and they weren't getting enough credit. You want to talk about a group that shouldn't be getting much criticism? THEY should be allowed to have an off game.

Also, you analysis on the Romo slide and injury shows your bias. It was not just a "simple tackle", the way Romo was positioned and the way the tackle happened put his back into an awkward position, the same with his collarbone, it has to do with pressure on the bone. This doesn't differ from person to person much, I've broken my collarbone the same exact way Romo did. You put pressure on the back like that and anyone's bone will break.

You don't hold out the better QB because he MIGHT get hurt. You put the better QB in. Period. If he gets hurt, he gets hurt and you go back to your noodle arm backup.
You have been bashing Dak all season. Literally all year. Its getting old man. Even your comment about his arm, Ive seen him hit deep throws more than one time this year with plenty of zip on his throw. Ive seen him make throws at ever level. You have this persona of trying to be the bad guy. You arent, you are just blowing smoke to justify your bottomless argument. Dak is in the top 5 on deep throws this year percentage wise. And you always leave out, hes a ROOKIE. Just stop. Please. The fact that you have your sig pic saying START ROMO also just makes you lose all credibility in not having an agenda with your posts. Dak brings something Romo cant and never could do to this team. Running. Romo comes back and we lose that element of our offense. Which has led to how many touchdowns this year? Dak has won us games (Philly, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Green Bay) that Romo wouldnt may have won, may have not because he simply cannot pick up 15 yards with his legs. There are arguments for both, but after 10 years of seeing Romo lose games we should win because he decides to make an ill advised bone headed throw into double sometimes triple coverage, you want that back? After not playing a meaningful football game in almost 2 years? Get real man. Seriously.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Care to back that up with some facts? Romo's playoff numbers are solid and his performance in the playoffs has pretty much nothing to do with our playoff woes.
I think he was referring to how little Romo has gotten this team into the playoffs, be it elimination games which refers to the last 3 or 4 games of season etc.... I agree with you that it is entirely not Romo's fault at all, but I wouldn't say Romo at QB would be any different based off the past. Think that is his point.

here is a good link: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RomoTo00/gamelog/post/

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think Coaches are committed to Dak just as they showed commitment to Romo and how most organization will back their QB. Clearly it falls to Dak to go out and produce but I don't see any teams yanking their QB because of 1 loss. Maybe Cleveland would lol

Animosity

Reaction score
Of course Romo has thrown interceptions at the worst time that has cost us the ballgame.

And unfortunately that is his legacy. If he comes back that can't happen again.

if he comes back, it will happen again. I guarantee it. 10 years of data. You cant teach an old dog new tricks. Shame some of the Cowboys fan base are so delusional that they think we have Tom Brady waiting on the bench, ready to take this team to the Super Bowl despite not getting past the divisional round in 10 years.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Looks like it took Jerry only one day to come off of "only because of injury"... lol.

And I see the resident Dak slobberers are already steeling themselves to the inevitable. And to think, just a few days ago they were gleefully working out Romo trades.

well I wouldn't necessarily be too optimistic for Romo after this year no matter what he does this year. I think his future is limited due to age and injuries. you may have a differing opinion, but I think regardless of this year, it will be Dak's 2nd year and I believe any GM in our shoes would go with Dak after this year. IMO we will see.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
well I wouldn't necessarily be too optimistic for Romo after this year no matter what he does this year. I think his future is limited due to age and injuries. you may have a differing opinion, but I think regardless of this year, it will be Dak's 2nd year and I believe any GM in our shoes would go with Dak after this year. IMO we will see.
I do agree with this. No matter what happens in the playoffs Tony's time in Dallas is coming to an end. I think some just want Tony to win so bad it's blinded them to Tony's health problems.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
heh - funny part is - of that i've never disagreed. i just think those clamoring for romo now never wanted dak to start anyway. they see an op to get him "back in the game" and are diving on it and minimizing what dak has in fact done.

if the coaches feel dak can't do it anymore or that his mojo is finished for the year, that is their call and agree or disagree with them, they're still going to make it. if dak comes out sunday and just falls on his face and deserves to be pulled cause of his play and his play alone, great. i'm 100% fine with it and so glad we do in fact have romo on the bench ready to go.

however, i do question the entire "ready to go" scenario.

he's played what, 2 games in 2 years? in training camp a simple tackle broke his back and put him out. he's not played in a game for a year or more at this point. i *do not* feel he will walk on the field and be *only* the good things we've ever seen from romo in his career.

he can light it up to be sure, or he can choke more than a king kong heimlich maneuver can handle. both are very real possibilities and it just seems people are ignoring all the times romo's late game chokes cost us. and before the romo parade dogs on me for that statement, he has in fact choked away some games.

he's won quite a few also.

so which romo will we get?

those saying ROMO NOW, to me, have agendas. i suppose to them i do also but it's not to keep dak in, it's to not bail on him cause of fan pressure but i don't really think that would be the reason. i just can't see the coaches hanging out in here taking the temp of all the fans who have *romo* somewhere in their username.

dak has figured out so much already. maybe he is on overdrive and not fair to think he can keep this up. but i don't see his performance alone as why we're struggling in the last few weeks. i see a team still looking for an overall identity and if we give the team back to romo, we also delay that change that can and will happen likely next year.

i want to win. i'd love for dak to get it but also understand i'd love to see romo take us there too. i'm honestly torn but i don't like moving around on indecision as if that's going to help us more than hurt.
awesome post. hands down this should be the closer for this argument.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
You have been bashing Dak all season. Literally all year. Its getting old man. Even your comment about his arm, Ive seen him hit deep throws more than one time this year with plenty of zip on his throw. Ive seen him make throws at ever level. You have this persona of trying to be the bad guy. You arent, you are just blowing smoke to justify your bottomless argument. Dak is in the top 5 on deep throws this year percentage wise. And you always leave out, hes a ROOKIE. Just stop. Please. The fact that you have your sig pic saying START ROMO also just makes you lose all credibility in not having an agenda with your posts. Dak brings something Romo cant and never could do to this team. Running. Romo comes back and we lose that element of our offense. Which has led to how many touchdowns this year? Dak has won us games (Philly, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Green Bay) that Romo wouldnt may have won, may have not because he simply cannot pick up 15 yards with his legs. There are arguments for both, but after 10 years of seeing Romo lose games we should win because he decides to make an ill advised bone headed throw into double sometimes triple coverage, you want that back? After not playing a meaningful football game in almost 2 years? Get real man. Seriously.

No, I have not been bashing him "all year" - I said Dak was the most intriguing pick in the draft. I made a breakdown of his game right before the season started I thought he had potential. I even at one point said, HE IS THE FUTURE. Yeah, can you believe that? Stupid me.

And this "bottomless" argument when my criticisms of him came true doesn't hold here. But hey, as I have asked for weeks, you can gladly show me videos and GIFs to prove me wrong with your own analysis. Otherwise, I'm done worrying with people just shouting "You're wrong...because reasons"

And Romo has hardly ever thrown into "triple coverage" - He has high comeback number, highest 4th quarter rating. You're talking out of your ***, this needs to end.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Romo would laugh at these fronts. They're 70-yard touchdowns waiting to happen. Then, they'd have to back off, and Zeke would have room to roam. That's what the elite veterans do.

Stop making me giddy with excitement. Dang it!

phildadon86

Reaction score
No, I have not been bashing him "all year" - I said Dak was the most intriguing pick in the draft. I made a breakdown of his game right before the season started I thought he had potential. I even at one point said, HE IS THE FUTURE. Yeah, can you believe that? Stupid me.

And this "bottomless" argument when my criticisms of him came true doesn't hold here. But hey, as I have asked for weeks, you can gladly show me videos and GIFs to prove me wrong with your own analysis. Otherwise, I'm done worrying with people just shouting "You're wrong...because reasons"

And Romo has hardly ever thrown into "triple coverage" - He has high comeback number, highest 4th quarter rating. You're talking out of your ***, this needs to end.
I just gave you Daks deep throw statistic. So yeah, good call. And the fact you are saying Romo doesnt make ill advised throws really proves Im not the one talking out of my rear end. You are right though, he does have a lot of 4th quarter comebacks. Question you need to ask yourself, is why were we coming back? Because the team failed or because Romo decided to make a stupid decision and put his defense in a horrible situation? Dak has 3 4th quarter comebacks this season with one of the best QBR in the entire NFL this season.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
Seems like everyone has abandoned the quarterback who got us here for a broken down loser. Shameful
I'm not abandoning him, but I do recognize he got this role via injury and not from outperforming

we have a guy that made surgical decisions to help this team win games, and he is the better player right now. if meritocracy actually does count, he should be playing.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
wow I want to say that this reminds me of the Danny White - Gary Hogeboom days..... anyone else remember that qb turmoil?

mrmojo

Reaction score
if he comes back, it will happen again. I guarantee it. 10 years of data. You cant teach an old dog new tricks. Shame some of the Cowboys fan base are so delusional that they think we have Tom Brady waiting on the bench, ready to take this team to the Super Bowl despite not getting past the divisional round in 10 years.
If we had Tom Brady on the bench he would have taken over for Dak as soon as he was healthy, and the majority of the fan base would have been fine with it.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I just gave you Daks deep throw statistic. So yeah, good call. And the fact you are saying Romo doesnt make ill advised throws really proves Im not the one talking out of my rear end. You are right though, he does have a lot of 4th quarter comebacks. Question you need to ask yourself, is why were we coming back? Because the team failed or because Romo decided to make a stupid decision and put his defense in a horrible situation? Dak has 3 4th quarter comebacks this season with one of the best QBR in the entire NFL this season.

Already broke the myth down that Romo "put us in those situations" months ago. You lurk this board enough to have seen this. He compares greatly to players like Brady, Rodgers, and Manning in playing consistently well in all quarters. His worst first half statistics came in 2007 and 2012. Outside of that, a great QB in all quarters. So that "question" has already been asked and answered. Go ahead and look for yourself.

http://www.nfl.com/player/tonyromo/2505354/situationalstats?season=2014

And "deep throw" statistic - LOL look, deep throws certainly have a place in this league, they keep a defense honest, but they are the least thrown passes. How has his deep throws been the past few weeks? How has he been on third down recently when going up against good defenses?

windjc

Reaction score
Well it only took the first loss in 12 games to make this forum completely insufferable. I swear most of you just like being miserable.

windjc

Reaction score
The running back is interchangeable. Zeke just happens to be the most talented one on the roster. We would still be 11-2 with McFadden and the other guy. Hell, DMC might've broken off a long one vs the Giants and we might be 12-1 right now. Zeke is a cog in the machine... we go as the QB goes
This is some top shelf ignorance right here.