Archer: Jerry said, "you'll know it when you see it" regarding potential change to Romo

mrmojo

Reaction score
wow I want to say that this reminds me of the Danny White - Gary Hogeboom days..... anyone else remember that qb turmoil?
Those were the days, everyone was on Hoegeboom's jock then reality set in. I believe a newspaper poll wanted Hogeboom over White, dont know if that went into Landry naming Hogeboom the starter.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think he was referring to how little Romo has gotten this team into the playoffs, be it elimination games which refers to the last 3 or 4 games of season etc.... I agree with you that it is entirely not Romo's fault at all, but I wouldn't say Romo at QB would be any different based off the past. Think that is his point.

here is a good link: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RomoTo00/gamelog/post/
fwiw and I know that post wasn't for me, and I'm not one pushing for Romo to start vs Tampa....

Here's some facts:
  • Romo has been the starter for most of the season for 8 seasons. (2006,7,8,9,11,12,13,14)
  • They've made it to the playoffs half the time. 4 years (2006,7,9,14)
  • Made it to the 2nd round 75% of those times...3 of the 4. (2 by wins and 1 with a bye)

So really, getting to the playoffs half the time is not something terrible.
Maybe the legit complaint is they never made past round 2.
2007 was the year for that, imo. Lost to the SB champs...but happened to play them earlier than Green bay and New England--who also lost to them. Still, that was the year.
2014--he balled out, but it wasn't enough. No sane person could point at his playoff performance in 2014 (highest rated QB in all of the playoffs) as the culprit.

Of the only years they didn't make the playoffs, where he played most of the season....
One year they were 9-7 and didn't get in. A bit of fail that year, imo.
Then there were some absolutely atrocious teams (maybe 3-13 or 4-12 type teams) that somehow made it to 8-8.
One, I think, had the 32nd ranked defense in the league...and the lines and run game were terrible too.

So no losing seasons in his career,
5 out of 8 winning seasons, and
3 .500 seasons.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Care to back that up with some facts? Romo's playoff numbers are solid and his performance in the playoffs has pretty much nothing to do with our playoff woes.

Don't bother.... you will never change their minds - it's all on Romo!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
wow I want to say that this reminds me of the Danny White - Gary Hogeboom days..... anyone else remember that qb turmoil?

I remember it but the difference was Dallas was losing games. We are talking a QB who has 2 losses out of 13 games played and the 1st loss since week 1 of the season. This so called turmoil has been in the making for a little while now people were waiting for this loss to really start pushing for it. However I think the coaches will continue to have Dak's back and not look to bench him.

Dak still has to go out and produce or he could lose the job but I think Cowboys are doing what they should and that is showing 100% confidence in their QB. If they make the move it would signal to Dak they had no confidence in him since after all how many QB get benched for going 11-2? If you do go to Romo and he fails then what? you go back to a QB that you have lost confidence in? Not sure that is a message they want to send to this team

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
fwiw and I know that post wasn't for me, and I'm not one pushing for Romo to start vs Tampa....

Here's some facts:
  • Romo has been the starter for most of the season for 8 seasons. (2006,7,8,9,11,12,13,14)
  • They've made it to the playoffs half the time. 4 years (2006,7,9,14)
  • Made it to the 2nd round 75% of those times...3 of the 4. (2 by wins and 1 with a bye)

So really, getting to the playoffs half the time is not something terrible.
Maybe the legit complaint is they never made past round 2.
2007 was the year for that, imo. Lost to the SB champs...but happened to play them earlier than Green bay and New England--who also lost to them. Still, that was the year.
2014--he balled out, but it wasn't enough. No sane person could point at his playoff performance in 2014 (highest rated QB in all of the playoffs) as the culprit.

Of the only years they didn't make the playoffs, where he played most of the season....
One year they were 9-7 and didn't get in. A bit of fail that year, imo.
Then there were some absolutely atrocious teams (maybe 3-13 or 4-12 type teams) that somehow made it to 8-8.
One, I think, had the 32nd ranked defense in the league...and the lines and run game were terrible too.

So no losing seasons in his career,
5 out of 8 winning seasons, and
3 .500 seasons.
Where are the NFC Championship games and Super Bowls?

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
2013 vs. Denver vs. Green Bay
2015 vs. Carolina (2 pick sixes)

Depends on your definition of costly.

2013 vs. denver I wouldnt consider costly. He threw for a butt ton of yards and TD's and Peyton had 1 INT just like Tony.

2015 vs. carolina...the season was sunk. Nothing really "costly" about it imo.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Already broke the myth down that Romo "put us in those situations" months ago. You lurk this board enough to have seen this. He compares greatly to players like Brady, Rodgers, and Manning in playing consistently well in all quarters. His worst first half statistics came in 2007 and 2012. Outside of that, a great QB in all quarters. So that "question" has already been asked and answered. Go ahead and look for yourself.

http://www.nfl.com/player/tonyromo/2505354/situationalstats?season=2014

And "deep throw" statistic - LOL look, deep throws certainly have a place in this league, they keep a defense honest, but they are the least thrown passes. How has his deep throws been the past few weeks? How has he been on third down recently when going up against good defenses?
Don't get me wrong. I love Romo and appreciate what he's done for this team. But to sit there and blatantly ignore how many games he himself has costed us is laughable. One thing Romo also never had to endure is an owner who believes in him one day and then goes on the radio the next day basically saying look over your shoulder.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
One thing for sure Dak is getting a good look at how it will be as the QB of the Cowboys. Go 11-2 and people are calling for your head? lol This has to be a real eye opener for this young guy.

Tommy

Reaction score
The playcalling has been horrible on multiple fronts. One, the playcalling has not adjusted when Dak has either been getting regularly pressured,or when there is regular blitzing or when the WR's aren't getting open. On key 3rd downs, even in short yardage, Zeke is inexplicable pulled out of the game. Again, on 3rd and short, deep pass plays are getting called, even when the run game is working. And this is just a short summary of the perplexing playcalling of the last two weeks.
Your summary is completely wrong. Coaches do not call "deep pass plays" on 3rd and short. Plays are designed with recievers going multiple directions on the field. The QB decides which matchup to try to exploit. Dak is not dropping back and throwing it deep because the coaches told him too.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. I love Romo and appreciate what he's done for this team. But to sit there and blatantly ignore how many games he himself has costed us is laughable. One thing Romo also never had to endure is an owner who believes in him one day and then goes on the radio the next day basically saying look over your shoulder.

And to ignore all the times he put the team on his back and won games by himself is equally laughable.

Gameover

Reaction score
This is some top shelf ignorance right here.

It's 100% correct. People said there is no way we can win without Tony Romo and I told you we would win. People said I was an idiot then, today we sit at 11-2.

Youre caught up in Zeke because he's something sexy you can point at. DMC and the other guy would've produced enough for us to be the exact 11-2. You think only Zeke could've run through those holes at Pittsburg? Please.

My G files:http://cowboyszone.com/threads/the-tragic-comedy-that-is-our-beloved-team.355419/#post-6784569 http://cowboyszone.com/threads/prescott-during-romos-absence.355726/#post-6792226

Last edited:

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Another bad performance and loss and it needs to be seriously considered.
I think DAK will get back soon.

But sure..if DAK is struggling..

Romo should play.

We are not married to DAK..

love his contribution but if he gets a 3rd loss..

Romo will get his shot.

phildadon86

Reaction score
And to ignore all the times he put the team on his back and won games by himself is equally laughable.
But its ok to ignore that Dak has done that repeatedly this season? Kind of a double edged sword there no? I love Romo. I dont hate him at all. Im just saying Dak has earned his spot. To have him now looking over his shoulder after 1 horrible game is not fair at all to the kid who got us where we are now.

Proximo

Reaction score
I'm not going to read through all 16 pages of this thread, but I will say that benching Dak right now would be ridiculous. The kid deserves the opportunity to work through some adversity.

We're 11-2 for crying out loud. And his stellar performance is one of the main reasons we just witnessed the longest win streak in franchise history.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Putting Tony back in because the team finally loses a couple games, or because Dak has a couple rookie outings, would be the first domino to fall to the start of a chain reaction of bad decisions.

I don't know, so do we stay with Dak and chances are we never even get to #6 and throw away an opportunity? I love Dak but if keeps playing like he did in the Giants game, we are crazy to let the season slide into the tank.