Are Cowboys a destination HC’s would want?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One question we do not have an answer to is just how much "meddling" does the owner and his son do within the actual coaching of the team? Second question, is that "meddling" because of the desire to do so or the perceived need to do so?

Booger was considering Garrett for HC when he first hired him, think about that. He was willing to take a guy with no appreciable experience or success as a HC and make him one. Why is that? Add to this his response when asked about his petulant WR's criticism of his OC, "no problem with it".

The difference with this team and the ones that hire a HC to be just that is they not only allow the HC to hire his coaches and decide what type of offense and defense they will run, they expect that. They are hiring the HC to do what he does. Booger hires one to do what Booger wants him to do.

There are coaches that would never consider working for him, guys like Belichick, Saban, Reid but there are plenty of coaches that would consider the stopover for the money and the team is not without talent. Hell, they take on jobs they know are nothing but a steep uphill climb every season with the hope they are the long term answer but with the knowledge that this is not a career wrecker if it doesn't work. And that's without the perception of a "meddlesome" owner. Let's not forget Gailey failed here and was hired again as a HC and Campo as a DC and Parcells would have been hired again as a HC if he wanted that.

blueblood70

Reaction score
You believe Jerry’s ready to let another proven HC come in and steal his thunder taking credit for winning a championship?
YES HES NEVER BEEN UNWILLING..jeez to think you understand the inner workings of a mans mind yet have never met him and dont give me the 23yr BS drought..JG has been winning , jerry thought maybe soo it will all come to ahead and win..it hasn't when he decided to not extend him the writings on the wall..jerry doesnt wan tto win a SB is also overblown..its been proven both ways keeping a HC to long has both worked and failed and letting them go every 4-5 yrs has worked and failed..theres no magic formula and JG is on notice..maybe a few years to long over due but its going to happen.. PROVEN where the new trend is unknowns who havent even earned a HC spot and got them..th eday and age where the retreads keep getting jobs is all but gone so proven is the wrong word, the next guy can be no name and win or big time college coach come in and lose its happened Saban failed hmm Petrino failed others have failed ..its matter of change and see what happens the next guy could be worse..

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
One question we do not have an answer to is just how much "meddling" does the owner and his son do within the actual coaching of the team? Second question, is that "meddling" because of the desire to do so or the perceived need to do so?

Booger was considering Garrett for HC when he first hired him, think about that. He was willing to take a guy with no appreciable experience or success as a HC and make him one. Why is that? Add to this his response when asked about his petulant WR's criticism of his OC, "no problem with it".

The difference with this team and the ones that hire a HC to be just that is they not only allow the HC to hire his coaches and decide what type of offense and defense they will run, they expect that. They are hiring the HC to do what he does. Booger hires one to do what Booger wants him to do.

There are coaches that would never consider working for him, guys like Belichick, Saban, Reid but there are plenty of coaches that would consider the stopover for the money and the team is not without talent. Hell, they take on jobs they know are nothing but a steep uphill climb every season with the hope they are the long term answer but with the knowledge that this is not a career wrecker if it doesn't work. And that's without the perception of a "meddlesome" owner. Let's not forget Gailey failed here and was hired again as a HC and Campo as a DC and Parcells would have been hired again as a HC if he wanted that.
We really don't know that coaches wouldn't consider coming here.

I would call any available HC insane for not considering the job factoring in the current era.

Trendnet

Reaction score

That's a pretty fancy fancy fantasy you got going on there.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I guess it depends on the HC.

"Oh yeah, definitely. I think it’s distorted," Parcells said. "I think there’s a definite misperception. I just think everyone thinks things are a certain way. I didn’t see it to be that way. I think Jerry is a good businessmen and a good listener. What you have to do is make sense to him. You’ve got to make sense to him. If he thinks you’re making sense, he’ll alter his opinion. I enjoyed him. I like him. I like him a lot."

"I liked my experience there," Parcells said. "It didn’t turn out perfect from a record-standpoint. I understand all of that. But I learned a lot and I enjoyed working there.

"Jerry and I are pretty good friends. I don’t know whether or not people know that. We talk a little bit. I wouldn’t say frequently. We talk a little bit. We talked recently. It’s good. And I’m close with Stephen [Jones], too. I enjoyed working there with the Joneses. They were supportive and tried to help."

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...nes-i-enjoyed-him-i-like-him-i-like-him-a-lot

Diehardblues

Reaction score
YES HES NEVER BEEN UNWILLING..jeez to think you understand the inner workings of a mans mind yet have never met him and dont give me the 23yr BS drought..JG has been winning , jerry thought maybe soo it will all come to ahead and win..it hasn't when he decided to not extend him the writings on the wall..jerry doesnt wan tto win a SB is also overblown..its been proven both ways keeping a HC to long has both worked and failed and letting them go every 4-5 yrs has worked and failed..theres no magic formula and JG is on notice..maybe a few years to long over due but its going to happen.. PROVEN where the new trend is unknowns who havent even earned a HC spot and got them..th eday and age where the retreads keep getting jobs is all but gone so proven is the wrong word, the next guy can be no name and win or big time college coach come in and lose its happened Saban failed hmm Petrino failed others have failed ..its matter of change and see what happens the next guy could be worse..
But I have met him which doesn’t make any difference.

Believe what you will. But it doesn’t appear Jerry’s ready to give up his intent to prove he can build a championship team without a proven HC.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Are there any successful proven winners looking for a new gig, or is this some weird pie in the sky coach?

BecaUse REaliSt!
The successful, proven winners I am speaking of would be the Carroll or Payton types who have been successful in the league for a number of years, have had enough of where they are and want a new start. These are not retreads like McCarthy or Fox. I would say very few if any of them would come to Dallas. I don't think we will ever see Sean Payton on the sideline in Arlington.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Despite needing a proven HC to resurrect us from the ashes of 5-11 Funk to build support for a new stadium , Jerry hasn’t brought in any proven HC. Any ideas why?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

Believe what you will. But it doesn’t appear Jerry’s ready to give up his intent to prove he can build a championship team without a proven HC.
He already did. Twice. Johnson wasn't proven - he came from college. And Switzer.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Newbie - Yes ~ Retread - Yes
Cowboys team facilities are second to none. DFW is an attractive place to call home. No state tax. Tremendous history of success and one of the richest legacies of winning in sports. Owner not afraid to spend money on players. Recent history of drafting excellent talent. Hyper exposure for franchise.

Successful, proven winner looking for a new gig - No
Unorthodox executive structure. Owner is too cozy with players. Owner is too visible and audible. Uncertainty as to HC's influence on personnel decisions. Uncertainty as to chain of command along HC, Assistants and players lineage. Uncertainty as to the role of executives, their stature and influence. Uncertainly as to what value the executive structure sees in coaching.
I picked up on that one word that most coaches are allergic to, uncertainty.

If I were a HC, the one that would concern me the most is the relationship and coziness of the owner to the players. I think we saw just how much a HC cannot do when Garrett first took over as HC and put the dress code into effect. Right out of the chute, one of the stars and leaders ignores him and what happened?

That one question always seems to surface, who is in charge?

If you were a proven winner, why would you consider the Cowboys? Was there a better proven winner with 3 different teams than Parcells? Think other proven winners didn't notice the owner exercised his right to bring in the very last person his HC would want in his locker room? And when that HC begins to try and deal with this player in his own way, what does the owner do? Starts taking the player to breakfast.

The other thing that we are completely unaware of is strength of the coaches network, these guys talk and share information and you can bet they were yakking it up after Garrett had to eat his own words about Linehan. Neither a good owner or GM hangs his HC out like that. There were other, much better, solutions than making him crawfish on the same day. No strong HC wants the public to know his balls are in the hands of the GM or owner.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Lol

You obviously still don’t get my point here.

I guess I don't either. A so called Proven HC already has a job and a once proven HC who gets fired was fired for a reason. So which Proven head coach is out there? Should Garrett help this team get to a SB does he then become a proven HC?

Big_D

Reaction score

He already has. This team is run very differently from Jerry's heyday when every one of his decisions were basically crap. An entire offseason of terrible drafts and free agent additions. If they won the Super Bowl next year, it certainly wouldn't be because of him. If Jerry was behind every decision, they'd still be looking for a Manziel replacement right now. Not hiring a quality coach because of credit is just ridiculous and it's even more ridiculous to just credit Jerry if they do win. This is very much a collective effort these days. At least at the moment he's smart enough to let other people make decisions and hopefully he's smart enough to understand that coaching and preparation are equally important. Those days of looking for credit. It's a lost cause, a ridiculous endeavor and they sailed a long time ago. Jerry's managerial body of work has been terrible. All of a sudden at 76 he's now the reason for any turn around? It's laughable at this point.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No it's really not proven at all.

You keep repeating the same things. What proof do you have that Jones wants credit?
Well, there is that question he asked the local media about him getting credit, if they did win it all. His behavior demonstrates that he wants credit, that's the reason they split up, Johnson's coaches were not willing to give him any that night. Then there's Jimmy having to be coaxed into coming to the war room when Booger asked him to look at him before every pick so as to send the message it's really his pick. Not enough to put it together and buy it and go against the grain and hire a college coach, there's something missing with the man.

The man is just a weird duck and maybe it goes all the way back to being college roommates and Johnson going on to do what Booger really wanted to do but he wanted to make money more than coach. I definitely think it is all about credit and while other owners would be happy with the ring and all that brings, unless Booger gets credit for it, it is a tarnished ring.