Are we in a better place with McCarthy?

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Bill, Wade, and Mike have all coached multiple NFL teams, Clappy could not even get an interview with Div 3 Western Omaha for a HC position.

So please spare me the false equivalency narrative about Garrett.
Agreed Beast. Clappy didn't get the nickname "8 & 8" for nothing. He got fired because he/we was going nowhere fast after a way too long time.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Comparing length of time doesn't matter. McCarthy has failed to achieve what he was hired for. For some reason he gets another shot this year. When he fails again, it won't matter that he only got half as many years as Garrett did. The bottom line is he still won't have achieved what he was hired for.
Ultimately and overall, that's true. But when comparing a 4 year stint to a 10 year stint, it is indeed a factor. 10 chances compared to 4 chances is a definite advantage.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Ultimately and overall, that's true. But when comparing a 4 year stint to a 10 year stint, it is indeed a factor. 10 chances compared to 4 chances is a definite advantage.
Yes but two in Parcells and Garrett had to rebuild or retool and two in Phillips and McCarthy took over more playoff caliber teams.

Difficult to use years as sole measurement. And why their totals for their term is more applicable.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Oooo, not w/ Tuna, that 2007 team Tuna built was a juggernaut. Too bad he wasn't kept around to complete it.

True enough but remember that one of the biggest reasons it was a juggernaut was T.O., whom Tuna didn't want to stick around to coach. I think that team had a realistic shot at getting to the Super Bowl with Tuna at the helm though. Bill would have had the good sense not to switch up his RB rotation right before the playoffs and I seriously doubt he would started a guy on a bum leg (T.O.) and a guy who had not played more than 5 snaps all season (Glenn) and had no explosion in his legs after that surgery, in that playoff game. Wade and Garrett were so stoopid for that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yes but remember it matters little who the coach is in Dallas.
That’s at least is what it appears to look like .

Our last 4 HC’s , Parcells, Phillips , Garrett and McCarthy all have had similar lack of success.

And all have had similar struggles with our ownership undermining their authority and meddling.

There’s been one constant throughout and that’s ultimately where our focus should be when holding ultimate responsibility .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Oooo, not w/ Tuna, that 2007 team Tuna built was a juggernaut. Too bad he wasn't kept around to complete it.
Yep and why in many ways Phillips was arguably our worst HC since Bill as far as doing less with what he had.

In his defense he wasn’t set up for success with how our owners meddling in coaching hires, meddling with roster and players spiraled up again after Bill left.

But like you said we were set up for success by Bill in 2007 and it went consistently down after that until it totally collapsed in 2010.

To Garrett’s credit the drafts begun to be better in 2011 but it took too long to retool or rebuild not making playoffs again until 2014. And that core team at least offensively with Romo , Murray and Dez never took the field again. Basically had to retool again in 2016 after the collapse in 2015 when Romo went down. Garrett basically had a rebuild and a retool in his 9 full seasons.

2014 was probably our best overall team under Garrett. And we basically came within a Dez catch that wasn’t to reaching the championship game. And then in 2016 with Dak and Zeke emerging had 1st seed but upset by a miraculous 3rd and 20 by Rodgers. How the Garrett era turns if we win either of those games. 2018 team wasn’t as good as 14 or 16 cause of defense deteriorating which was weakness during Garrett tenure. At one point one of our worst defenses historically.

Which arguably left McCarthy more of a base not needing to totally rebuild or retool to reach playoffs again. To Mikes credit he’s built probably the best defense since that 2003 team that carried Quincy to the playoffs.

If we’d had this defense with one of those 2014, 16 or 18 teams might have been enough to advance further . In many ways this current consistent 12 win playoff team is the most balanced we’ve been since Bill was here but we are still struggling to kick that door down.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
That’s at least is what it appears to look like .

Our last 4 HC’s , Parcells, Phillips , Garrett and McCarthy all have had similar lack of success.

And all have had similar struggles with our ownership undermining their authority and meddling.

There’s been one constant throughout and that’s ultimately where our focus should be when holding ultimate responsibility .
Parcells fixed a disaster. Handed a winner to Phillips. Phillips and Garrett destroyed a generation of Cowboys football.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Parcells fixed a disaster. Handed a winner to Phillips. Phillips and Garrett destroyed a generation of Cowboys football.
While I would have liked our chances better with Parcells and I agree that he resurrected the disaster, I’m not completely sold that team was more than it was. I think Bill had some concerns with Romo.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
But like you said we were set up for success by Bill in 2007 and it went consistently down after that until it totally collapsed in 2010.
Bill did a great job rebuilding from the wasteland of the Campo days, obviously. But what you said is not true. It did not go consistently downhill. Wade won more than Parcells did. Won the division. Got to the playoffs. Won a playoff game. None of which Parcells did.

No, I'm not saying Wade is a better coach than Parcells. Of course not. But the team did not go downhill from when Parcells left after Romo dropped the FG hold.

And 2010 was a disaster because Romo got hurt. It wasn't really any worse than Garrett's 2015 except that in 2010, Jerry had his handpicked pet project ready to be installed.

Your Garrett love is so cute, though. It really is. I've never seen anyone twist facts to try to make a terrible coach look good the way you do.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
While I would have liked our chances better with Parcells and I agree that he resurrected the disaster, I’m not completely sold that team was more than it was. I think Bill had some concerns with Romo.
Dallas might have won in 2007 if Bill remained. That’s just a guess but a very likely guess. Instead the old drunk ran out another HOF coach to get his yes man.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yeah I agree if Bill felt he had a SB contender I think he comes back for another year.

People don’t remember how much the game had passed him by.

He didn’t want Ware or TO. He had to vid protected from his own ego.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Dallas might have won in 2007 if Bill remained. That’s just a guess but a very likely guess. Instead the old drunk ran out another HOF coach to get his yes man.
It’s all speculative . I definitely agree I like our chances better with Bill.

But even if we get by NY no lock we get to SB. And definitely don’t think we had enough defense to beat Patriots .

Yes, we can hold Jethro at fault for running Bill off early and hiring a puppet.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Bill did a great job rebuilding from the wasteland of the Campo days, obviously. But what you said is not true. It did not go consistently downhill. Wade won more than Parcells did. Won the division. Got to the playoffs. Won a playoff game. None of which Parcells did.

No, I'm not saying Wade is a better coach than Parcells. Of course not. But the team did not go downhill from when Parcells left after Romo dropped the FG hold.

And 2010 was a disaster because Romo got hurt. It wasn't really any worse than Garrett's 2015 except that in 2010, Jerry had his handpicked pet project ready to be installed.

Your Garrett love is so cute, though. It really is. I've never seen anyone twist facts to try to make a terrible coach look good the way you do.
If you want facts we can start with the team declining after 2007. Missed the playoffs in 2008. And 2009 playoffs blowout to Vikings sent alarms.

Especially on OL that a retooling or rebuild was needed. If you recall Jethro said” we didn’t need as good of OL with a mobile QB like Romo.” Lol

And you also missed the fact the Cowboys in 2010 started the season 1-4 with Romo healthy and ended 1-5 with him starting.

My narrative on Garrett stands firm despite all of the vitriol thrown his or my way. I called him our greatest puppet this era and I still stand by that. Which doesn’t mean he was a good HC. As a matter of fact I’ve stated he was probably worst besides Campo.

But the fact the level of success he did have in the playoffs versus much more notable, experienced and proven CowboysHC this era still holds up.