Are we in a better place with McCarthy?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
It was an enjoyable game, I guess you thought the almost MVP was going to show up. Watch the games and enjoy them they have zero impact on your life.
That says a tremendous amount about you. Thanks for the exposure.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Bill, Wade, and Mike have all coached multiple NFL teams, Clappy could not even get an interview with Div 3 Western Omaha for a HC position.

So please spare me the false equivalency narrative about Garrett.
Don’t misconstrue my narrative . I’m only presenting their records with the Cowboys .

Obviously those 3 HC’s are much more reputable with greater career records and success.

Until they came to Dallas in which they didn’t have any more playoff success than Garrett.

How does a HC without any experience who couldn’t get a HC job elsewhere have as much or more playoff success with the Cowboys than such proven HC’s?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Cowboys this era are a dead end HC opportunity. A job no one with the phone ringing elsewhere would accept.

Switzer, Campo, Parcells, Phillips and Garrett were never offered a HC again.

Besides Jimmy only Gailey ever got another opportunity in the NFL ( Buffalo) after spending several years as HC at Ga Tech and a decade away from NFL.

And it will be interesting if McCarthy will be pursued if this his last season in Dallas. My hunch would be , probably not.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Don’t misconstrue my narrative . I’m only presenting their records with the Cowboys .

Obviously those 3 HC’s are much more reputable with greater career records and success.

Until they came to Dallas in which they didn’t have any more playoff success than Garrett.

How does a HC without any experience who couldn’t get a HC job elsewhere have as much or more playoff success with the Cowboys than such proven HC’s?
But you are totally leaving out the time factor.

Garrett had a decade, yes an entire decade and made the playoffs exactly 3 times.............so, 7/10 seasons we did not even make the playoffs, that is 70% fail rate if my UT education does not fail me here.

Big Mike has made the playoffs the same number of times as Garrett, but in only 4 seasons and the one season he missed the playoffs was the Covid year of 2020 when teams were not even practicing together. So, again, if my UT education does not fail me 3/4 seasons in the playoffs is a 25% fail rate.

You cannot say a head coach that fails to make the playoffs 70% of the time is the same as a head coach that fails to make the playoffs only 25% of the time. Yes, neither one ever advanced past the Divisional round so if that is your point then I will agree, but you are not taking into account that Garrett had 10 years and MM has only had 4.

GMO415

Reaction score
That’s always the best measurement of a HC or any Mgmt or leadership. Are we in a better place than when you arrived?

There’s probably an argument to be made for both sides .

When MM came in most fans felt anything would be an improvement from Garrett. And an experienced proven SB winner was definitely what many ordered or had hoped for .

In many ways we are in a better place . 3 straight 12 win seasons. A couple division titles and first time since 90’s 3 consecutive playoff appearances. But only 1 playoff win and still no championship game appearances .

It appears we have built an overall better or more talented team. But the disappointment and frustration in playoffs continues.

So, what is your take. Are we in a better place with McCarthy than 4 years ago?
Red Jesus had a decade and wasted a lot of talent, and hasn't been a HC since. I still think he should be a college HC. His message and HC style would be impactful on a premiere college program.

Yes MM is better but with a lame duck season ahead, he is all but gone come 2025. Enter Bill Belicheck.

triplets_93

Reaction score
That’s always the best measurement of a HC or any Mgmt or leadership. Are we in a better place than when you arrived?

There’s probably an argument to be made for both sides .

When MM came in most fans felt anything would be an improvement from Garrett. And an experienced proven SB winner was definitely what many ordered or had hoped for .

In many ways we are in a better place . 3 straight 12 win seasons. A couple division titles and first time since 90’s 3 consecutive playoff appearances. But only 1 playoff win and still no championship game appearances .

It appears we have built an overall better or more talented team. But the disappointment and frustration in playoffs continues.

So, what is your take. Are we in a better place with McCarthy than 4 years ago?
I prefer the losing with Garrett over the losing with McCarthy.

Flinger

Reaction score
I said it was inexcusable what happened against Green Bay and you said to whom, me? You don’t seem to have a problem with what happened against Green Bay in the playoffs. You’re continuing to tout McCarthy after that debacle.
So?

kskboys

Reaction score
All this fooforaw, and it still comes down to one thing: Personnel. Was it MM's decision to go w/ 200 lb LB's and rotational DT's? That is where the blame lies.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, neither one ever advanced past the Divisional round so if that is your point then I will agree, but you are not taking into account that Garrett had 10 years and MM has only had 4.
Comparing length of time doesn't matter. McCarthy has failed to achieve what he was hired for. For some reason he gets another shot this year. When he fails again, it won't matter that he only got half as many years as Garrett did. The bottom line is he still won't have achieved what he was hired for.

Flinger

Reaction score
The modern NFL's ultimate triangle to success is led by the GM, HC and QB all being excellent at their jobs.

Good points... but, in my opinion, we are so deficient at GM for this particular period of time in the life of the franchise that it is a glaring weakness underminig the other two.

The GM hires the coaches, the coordinators and the players... it's through group think, but the GM's process is a object failure.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I prefer the losing with Garrett over the losing with McCarthy.

WTH? You prefer 4 8-8 seasons, a couple of 9-7's, a 4-12 with only 3 winning seasons to 3 straight 12 win seasons, three straight trips to the playoffs and 2 division titles in 4 years? After 4 years Mac is 1-3 in the playoffs.. not great.. but light years better than 0-0, which is what Garrett was after 4 years. None of us is satisfied with what the Cowboys have done in the playoffs the last three seasons. But it's foolish not to acknowledge the immense progress that has been made in just getting there pretty much every year. You can't hit the ball if you never even get into the batter's box. As long as McCarthy keeps getting us swings at the ball he will be preferred over Garrett by me. The Ivy Leaguer in me was proud when Garrett got hired and I really believed that over time he would learn and figure out how to be a great coach. Unfortunately he didn't. I'm sure McCarthy couldn't touch Garrett in Jeopardy or Quiz Bowl.. but McCarthy is by far the better football coach.

Flinger

Reaction score
McCarthy came in at the time of covid. There were no minicamps, no training camp, no preseason games. That is challenging enough for a veteran coach but McCarthy could not install his entire system. I have always said that he should get a complete pass for his first season.

In his last three seasons the Cowboys had double digit wins three seasons in a row for the first time since the days of the Super Bowl era teams 27 years ago. That is a generation.

The postseason has been more than frustrating and disappointing but before championships comes opportunity and that was delivered.

McCarthy had to patiently and diplomatically endure the lack of professionalism and ability of the owner/GM of this team as well as the VP/progeny that seems to be making more decisions. That has to be a testament to his mental toughness.

The past three seasons has been the closest the Cowboys have ever come to being a true contender. They are close. I don't know if there was ever a better candidate willing to work with Jerry Jones. I think that list is extremely short of capable candidates.
100%

75boyz

Reaction score
Comparing length of time doesn't matter. McCarthy has failed to achieve what he was hired for. For some reason he gets another shot this year. When he fails again, it won't matter that he only got half as many years as Garrett did. The bottom line is he still won't have achieved what he was hired for.
Yeah,
I'm not a just make it every year and fail guy either.
Do something, anything, once you get there to prove your salt.

We've got both a head coach and QB who suck at playoff football.

They BOTH can get us to the playoffs, but BOTH lack the ability at their jobs to lead the team to victory over playoff opponents.

Neither one of them is gonna mysteriously one year overcome this deficiency.
No matter how long they keep trying.
They've both reached their ceiling.
This is as good as it gets with McFraud at HC and SleepNumber at QB.

We're just spinning our wheels by sticking with 'em.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
But you are totally leaving out the time factor.

Garrett had a decade, yes an entire decade and made the playoffs exactly 3 times.............so, 7/10 seasons we did not even make the playoffs, that is 70% fail rate if my UT education does not fail me here.

Big Mike has made the playoffs the same number of times as Garrett, but in only 4 seasons and the one season he missed the playoffs was the Covid year of 2020 when teams were not even practicing together. So, again, if my UT education does not fail me 3/4 seasons in the playoffs is a 25% fail rate.

You cannot say a head coach that fails to make the playoffs 70% of the time is the same as a head coach that fails to make the playoffs only 25% of the time. Yes, neither one ever advanced past the Divisional round so if that is your point then I will agree, but you are not taking into account that Garrett had 10 years and MM has only had 4.
Yes , that is my point . Success after making or in the playoffs . No HC this era has had more success in the playoffs, yet.

Which still seems remarkable to me considering Garrett is widely considered by many to be our worst HC this era with maybe only exception in Campo.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
So what? I commented it was inexcusable what happened against Green Bay in the playoffs and your response was, inexcusable? You questioned it. You acted like I was the only one who thought the performance was inexcusable.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Red Jesus had a decade and wasted a lot of talent, and hasn't been a HC since. I still think he should be a college HC. His message and HC style would be impactful on a premiere college program.

Yes MM is better but with a lame duck season ahead, he is all but gone come 2025. Enter Bill Belicheck.
My argument isn’t about who is or was a better HC but focused solely on their success in the playoffs.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Last edited: